Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poly 2 is out

Comments

• Thanks, sounds like an excellent update! Many useful additions here.

• Thanks for your continued hard work, great stuff 🙏

• @JSMilton said:
    Hey guys, just released a new update for Poly.

Features:

• Mixer now supports post fader send FX.
    • Mixer levels now scale better, from from -96dB to +6dB.
    • The lowest fader setting for mixer channels is now -infinity.
    • The keyboard for MIDI in now stretches across 6 octaves instead of 2.
    • Latch mode for keyboard notes in.
    • Global transpose control for all keyboards.
    • Patterns and FX slots can now be selected via AUParameters when using the app as an AU.
    • Double tapping a node will now lock it in place, preventing it from being moved, rotated or randomised.
    • Swiping up on a color selector will cause that color to solo.

Have a good week.

Cheers,

James

You’re my fucking hero man! The node locking makes making minor variation changes so easy now!

Folks, you need to buy this thing. My roomful of hardware is really damn jealous lately.

• Yeah this is a great update, 6 Octaves now too :)

• Anyone else in NS2 having the issue where you set an AUv3 Poly2 instance to MIDI TRIG, save the NS2 project, close it, reload, then go to that Poly2 instance and it’s set back to AUTO PLAY.

Why isn’t it saving this preference to the NS2 project?

• edited December 2019

Matter o fact, after this update, even changing it back to MIDI TRIG won’t play the pattern. It now only works if it’s set to AUTO PLAY.

• Hey @drez. I made some changes to the MIDI in this update, I think you might be using the wrong note to trigger the pattern. It was 12 before and now it's 0. I've done this to bring the keyboard into line with AUMs keyboard i.e C-1 is note 0. I've just tested it in BM3 and AUM and is definitely working. Really sorry if this change has broken yours or anyone elses projects. I'll update the play trigger text in the AU with the note number, should help a bit.

Anyway let me know if this solves your issue, otherwise I'll go dig a bit deeper and see if I can find it.

• @JSMilton said:
    Hey @drez. I made some changes to the MIDI in this update, I think you might be using the wrong note to trigger the pattern. It was 12 before and now it's 0. I've done this to bring the keyboard into line with AUMs keyboard i.e C-1 is note 0. I've just tested it in BM3 and AUM and is definitely working. Really sorry if this change has broken yours or anyone elses projects. I'll update the play trigger text in the AU with the note number, should help a bit.

Anyway let me know if this solves your issue, otherwise I'll go dig a bit deeper and see if I can find it.

@JSMilton For your consideration: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30357/a-request-to-developers-re-note-naming

Changing note 0 to be C-1 aligns with AUM, but doesn’t with Audiobus (where it’s C-2)

• @JSMilton said:
    Hey @drez. I made some changes to the MIDI in this update, I think you might be using the wrong note to trigger the pattern. It was 12 before and now it's 0. I've done this to bring the keyboard into line with AUMs keyboard i.e C-1 is note 0. I've just tested it in BM3 and AUM and is definitely working. Really sorry if this change has broken yours or anyone elses projects. I'll update the play trigger text in the AU with the note number, should help a bit.

I tried it in my original project and just created a test project and it’s not working there. This is how I’m trying to trigger it...

• @drez said:

@JSMilton said:

I tried it in my original project and just created a test project and it’s not working there. This is how I’m trying to trigger it...

@drez Your trigger is note 24, I believe @JSMilton was saying it’s now note 0, two octaves lower than what you have.

• @aplourde doh! that was it! I should have paying attention to note number. That seems to be the best way to determine what to use with all these different identifiers.

Thank you so much for noticing my error 🙏

• @drez said:
    @aplourde doh! that was it! I should have paying attention to note number. That seems to be the best way to determine what to use with all these different identifiers.

Thank you so much for noticing my error 🙏

You're welcome. It becomes confusing with the ambiguity surrounding note names (hence my quixotic campaign to have developers allow user control over note naming)

• edited December 2019

How is Midi Learn achieved in Poly 2?

The manual says

MIDI Learn

Some controls in Poly can be assigned to receive MIDI CC messages. Activate MIDI learn mode from the transport bar and all assignable controls will now show a plus icon. When the icon is red, that means a control is ready to be assigned, when it is green it means it has already been assigned. A white icon means the control is in a neutral state.

I have my controller connected and activate midi learn but I’m not seeing any of the above.

Some very cool updates lately btw. Great work @JSMilton

• @SpookyZoo said:

The manual says

MIDI Learn

Some controls in Poly can be assigned to receive MIDI CC messages. Activate MIDI learn mode from the transport bar and all assignable controls will now show a plus icon. When the icon is red, that means a control is ready to be assigned, when it is green it means it has already been assigned. A white icon means the control is in a neutral state.

I have my controller connected and activate midi learn but I’m not seeing any of the above.

When you hit the Midi Learn button in the top right, switch to the Sample, FX, or Mixer pages.
    You should see some controls have the white +, and then just tap one (it turns red), twiddle a knob, and the + will turn green.
    Exit Midi Learn mode, and test it out. It should show movement in the app when you move the learned knob.

• edited December 2019

@CracklePot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

The manual says

MIDI Learn

When you hit the Midi Learn button in the top right, switch to the Sample, FX, or Mixer pages.
    You should see some controls have the white +, and then just tap one (it turns red), twiddle a knob, and the + will turn green.
    Exit Midi Learn mode, and test it out. It should show movement in the app when you move the learned knob.

Ah ok, so nothing on the main page can be Midi Learnt?

When I activate MIDI learn, some of the parameters show a CC#. Does this mean they’re fixed and cannot be altered?

Thanks @CracklePot

• @SpookyZoo said:

@CracklePot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

The manual says

MIDI Learn

When I activate MIDI learn, some of the parameters show a CC#. Does this mean they’re fixed and cannot be altered?

Thanks @CracklePot

You’re welcome.
    Not sure about the Main page stuff.
    @JSMilton could you elaborate, please?
    I really appreciate this app. It is one of a kind on iOS. The many updates have really expanded on the great initial release.
    Thank you.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@CracklePot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

The manual says

MIDI Learn

Thanks @CracklePot

Glad you guys are liking the updates!

You are correct in that nothing on the main page can be learned. The pattern, sampler, fx and mixer pages are the only ones if I remember correctly. The CC numbers are not set in stone, they can be changed from the MIDI menu in the settings.

• @JSMilton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@CracklePot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

The manual says

MIDI Learn

Thanks @CracklePot

You are correct in that nothing on the main page can be learned. The pattern, sampler, fx and mixer pages are the only ones if I remember correctly. The CC numbers are not set in stone, they can be changed from the MIDI menu in the settings.

Hi @JSMilton

These parameters show CC#s on the main page but don’t respond to midi control. Can these be changed? Cheers.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@JSMilton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@CracklePot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

The manual says

MIDI Learn

Thanks @CracklePot

Hi @JSMilton

These parameters show CC#s on the main page but don’t respond to midi control. Can these be changed? Cheers.

Ah so those CC messages are sent OUT of Poly. You can double tap one of those icons and it will send a CC message, good for assigning to controls in other apps. Once assigned, when a node plays it will send a CC message with the value of that parameter.

• @JSMilton said:

Ah so those CC messages are sent OUT of Poly. You can double tap one of those icons and it will send a CC message, good for assigning to controls in other apps. Once assigned, when a node plays it will send a CC message with the value of that parameter.

Ah ok, got it. Thanks.

• @JSMilton is there any way that the state of the AU can be saved in the project it’s being used in? For example, for me in NS2 poly 2 is always set to Auto Run instead of Midi Trig, so every time I open the project I have to go to the poly 2 instances and change them. Is this by design of am I doing something wrong?

• @drez said:
    @JSMilton is there any way that the state of the AU can be saved in the project it’s being used in? For example, for me in NS2 poly 2 is always set to Auto Run instead of Midi Trig, so every time I open the project I have to go to the poly 2 instances and change them. Is this by design of am I doing something wrong?

Ah you've found a bug! The MIDI trigger setting isn't being stored by the AU. I'll be sure to add that into the next update.

• @JSMilton said:

@drez said:
    @JSMilton is there any way that the state of the AU can be saved in the project it’s being used in? For example, for me in NS2 poly 2 is always set to Auto Run instead of Midi Trig, so every time I open the project I have to go to the poly 2 instances and change them. Is this by design of am I doing something wrong?

Ah you've found a bug! The MIDI trigger setting isn't being stored by the AU. I'll be sure to add that into the next update.

Thoughts and Prayers 🙏

• Am I missing something with the in-app tutorial? - the tutorial first says tap a note, then move a note, then use the edge of the outer circle to change the parameters, and that's it. What sort of tutorial is that, shows you hardly anything. Is it supposed to advance from there and its not doing it?
    And the manual is so so short there's hardly any info there at all, as a concrete example I wanted to send different colors to different midi channels, this is what the manual says: "Each color can be configured to send events to a specific midi destination". Well thanks for telling us you can do that, how about telling us how to do that. It doesn't actually say in the manual where in the app or how to do this, and I couldn't find it by looking through the app.

Also clicking on the (?) doesn't say what the little checked box in the bottom right hand corner is, if I click on that I get a lot of new icons sliding in from the side, but nothing in the manual what on earth these are.

Surely I'm missing something - neither the in-app tutorial or manual can be this brief?

In the absence of a complete manual, here's a question - how do I disable the internal synth/samples for the app? If I go to settings/midi/Disable audio and flick it on then I still continue to hear everything playing.

• edited December 2019

@mungbeans said:
    Am I missing something with the in-app tutorial? - the tutorial first says tap a note, then move a note, then use the edge of the outer circle to change the parameters, and that's it. What sort of tutorial is that, shows you hardly anything. Is it supposed to advance from there and its not doing it?
    And the manual is so so short there's hardly any info there at all, as a concrete example I wanted to send different colors to different midi channels, this is what the manual says: "Each color can be configured to send events to a specific midi destination". Well thanks for telling us you can do that, how about telling us how to do that. It doesn't actually say in the manual where in the app or how to do this, and I couldn't find it by looking through the app.

Quick tip...

• @SpookyZoo said:

@mungbeans said:
    Am I missing something with the in-app tutorial? - the tutorial first says tap a note, then move a note, then use the edge of the outer circle to change the parameters, and that's it. What sort of tutorial is that, shows you hardly anything. Is it supposed to advance from there and its not doing it?

Quick tip...

I found that thanks, but also in the 3rd image of the flow is the disable audio button - why does flicking this not do anything? How do you stop internal sounds playing if routing midi to an external synth?

• @mungbeans said:

I found that thanks, but also in the 3rd image of the flow is the disable audio button - why does flicking this not do anything? How do you stop internal sounds playing if routing midi to an external synth?

Disable Audio is per channel.

• edited December 2019

@mungbeans

The checkered box is for storing and recalling patterns, has pattern specific parameters on the left, and FX group assign in the bottom right.

On the Midi Settings page, there is a row of 8 rectangles along the top.
    Use these to select the voice/color you want to change settings for.
    These settings are voice specific. If you disable audio, it is only the currently selected voice that gets disabled. It is not a universal audio disable.

• @JSMilton I know that i can change pattern with the AU parameter, but the screenshot of the MIDI Settings dialog some pages ago also contained notes for pattern change.

The MIDI Settings dialog in the AU of v1.3.1 only shows ‚Play trigger‘ and ‚Keyboard‘ at the top (on iPad Pro 10.5 IOS 13.2.3) Did you remove that feature ?

It would be really nice to use ‚autoplay‘ together with pattern changes. If there are no notes left (as you enlarged the range for keybord input) you could support Program Change messages to change the between the 16 patterns.

Having defined notes or PC for pattern change is a lot more convenient that routing that note/PC to AUMs MidiControl and then setting it up - it also looks better in AUMs midi matrix :)

• @_ki said:
    @JSMilton I know that i can change pattern with the AU parameter, but the screenshot of the MIDI Settings dialog some pages ago also contained notes for pattern change.

The MIDI Settings dialog in the AU of v1.3.1 only shows ‚Play trigger‘ and ‚Keyboard‘ at the top (on iPad Pro 10.5 IOS 13.2.3) Did you remove that feature ?

It would be really nice to use ‚autoplay‘ together with pattern changes. If there are no notes left (as you enlarged the range for keybord input) you could support Program Change messages to change the between the 16 patterns.

Having defined notes or PC for pattern change is a lot more convenient that routing that note/PC to AUMs MidiControl and then setting it up - it also looks better in AUMs midi matrix :)

Yeh I removed it as I was getting quite a few reports of people changing patterns accidentally and it was causing confusion. The AUParameter is the replacement. You could still use autoplay with pattern changing if you map the parameter though no? Saying that, it's trivial on my end to add support for program changes so I'll add it in the next update. It would also have the benefit of allowing people to use the feature outside of the AU which is cool.