Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poly 2 is out

Comments

• Nice update, thank you. You’re making a really good work, much appreciated.

• edited November 2019

@JSMilton you rock man!

No paradise lost for you! 🤪

My next big wish would be something like a long press on a node to “pin” it so it can be excluded from things like rotation and ransoms... then you can place a kick at 12:00 and have it retain place in rhythm as well as the sample settings while other kicks for accents can still float around...

• @JSMilton said:
    Hey guys,

Just released another small update. Patch notes:

Features:

• Added the ability to export tracks as individual audio files
    • All nodes of a specific colour can be enabled / disabled by swiping down on the colour selector
    • The mixers volume, mute and solo functions can now be configured to affect MIDI out

Bugfixes:

• Fixed a bug where the mixer sometimes wouldn't mute sounds properly

Cheers, have a nice weekend!

And don't forget - now minimum ios12.1 instead of 12.2!!! - For those like me stuck on 12.1 (and happy to be stuck there). Downloading now.., thanks @jsmilton I'll probably get the full app over the holiday break.

• edited November 2019

Deleted by user

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    @JSMilton you rock man!

No paradise lost for you! 🤪

My next big wish would be something like a long press on a node to “pin” it so it can be excluded from things like rotation and ransoms... then you can place a kick at 12:00 and have it retain place in rhythm as well as the sample settings while other kicks for accents can still float around...

Cheers man. I actually love the idea of pinning nodes like that, especially for that use case. I'm gonna add it into the next update for sure.

• edited November 2019

Yeah, that would be a great feature. First idea was to indicate this with a square node, but that would be ugly. Perhaps you could draw some inward-pointing thin crack lines to indicate that a pinned node is "stamped" into the ground. Edit: a darker color shade probably works well, too.

• I thought isolating the viewing of colored nodes would restrict operations to just the viewed color, but it doesn’t work like that.
    But it could, as a way to pin nodes, just the opposite.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Deleted by user

I was wondering if you had multiple notes on that yellow node, but I guess you figured something out.

• @CracklePot said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    Deleted by user

I was wondering if you had multiple notes on that yellow node, but I guess you figured something out.

Yea, I was being totally ‘tarded... Didn’t dawn on me that pitch changed sample speed. I never use sample based stuff. So kinda snuck by me... 🥴

• Hey Poly Fans! Not had chance to dig deep enough with it yet, but wondered if anyone had any workflow tips or advice on ways you’re using it? Wanna get quickly up to speed when I get chance! B)

• @Artefact2001 said:
    Hey Poly Fans! Not had chance to dig deep enough with it yet, but wondered if anyone had any workflow tips or advice on ways you’re using it? Wanna get quickly up to speed when I get chance! B)

I find it pretty straight forward.
    Control labels and sample, etc get listed in the upper right of the interface when you touch on them. Keep an eye on that area to keep from getting lost initially.
    Spend time with the built in samples to get the hang of the app before trying to tackle the Midi out stuff.

If you get hung up on anything, post some questions.
    I got a pretty good handle on this app so far.

• @JSMilton Hey there...

Another minor (hopefully) request... I notice that when the volume faders are pulled all the way back it’s only -48db... that’s still causing issues for things like hats hissing through when using heavy compression... Any chance you could make the bottom position -inf?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    @JSMilton Hey there...

Another minor (hopefully) request... I notice that when the volume faders are pulled all the way back it’s only -48db... that’s still causing issues for things like hats hissing through when using heavy compression... Any chance you could make the bottom position -inf?

Good point, I'll have a look at it for the next release. Shouldn't be much trouble at all.

• I could have sworn that the first time I launched poly2, I was asked if I wanted to do a tutorial. I declined at the time but I'd like to do it and can't find it.

Am I misremembering?

• @espiegel123 said:
    I could have sworn that the first time I launched poly2, I was asked if I wanted to do a tutorial. I declined at the time but I'd like to do it and can't find it.

Am I misremembering?

At the moment you are only presented with the tutorial the first time you open the app. To re-do it you'd have to delete the app and reinstall. It's an oversight on my part and is probably something I'll address in the near future.

• @JSMilton said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I could have sworn that the first time I launched poly2, I was asked if I wanted to do a tutorial. I declined at the time but I'd like to do it and can't find it.

Am I misremembering?

At the moment you are only presented with the tutorial the first time you open the app. To re-do it you'd have to delete the app and reinstall. It's an oversight on my part and is probably something I'll address in the near future.

Please do. I am probably not alone in wanting to launch a new app and check it out a little before performing the tutorial.

• @JSMilton thanks for the 'performance update' (swiping down to mute), but could we have swipe up to unmute / solo too 🙏🙂

• @Artefact2001 said:
    @JSMilton thanks for the 'performance update' (swiping down to mute), but could we have swipe up to unmute / solo too 🙏🙂

So I would absolutely love to do that and I originally tried to do it. The big issue is that swiping up from near the bottom of the screen on iOS 13 causes the dock to appear and the app to move to the background. You can get it working OK but you have to be very careful. I decided it wasn't reliable enough to include. One thing I considered was double tapping to solo, but i hated the idea of having 2 different gestures for essentially doing the same thing. Maybe double tapping wasn't too bad an idea, what do you reckon?

• @JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:
    @JSMilton thanks for the 'performance update' (swiping down to mute), but could we have swipe up to unmute / solo too 🙏🙂

So I would absolutely love to do that and I originally tried to do it. The big issue is that swiping up from near the bottom of the screen on iOS 13 causes the dock to appear and the app to move to the background. You can get it working OK but you have to be very careful. I decided it wasn't reliable enough to include. One thing I considered was double tapping to solo, but i hated the idea of having 2 different gestures for essentially doing the same thing. Maybe double tapping wasn't too bad an idea, what do you reckon?

I believe that there is a flag that you can set that allows gestures at the edges to be ignored by the system in some cases. I don’t recall the specifics.

• @JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:

Do you mean on one of the newer iPads with no home button? I’m testing the gesture on my (older) iPad Pro 10.5 and I’m not triggering the dock, you could always moves things away from the edge marginally if that helped.

• @espiegel123 said:

@JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:

I believe that there is a flag that you can set that allows gestures at the edges to be ignored by the system in some cases. I don’t recall the specifics.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to do this programmatically and the methods I saw for allowing users to do it were slightly too convoluted. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

@Artefact2001 said:

@JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:

Do you mean on one of the newer iPads with no home button? I’m testing the gesture on my (older) iPad Pro 10.5 and I’m not triggering the dock, you could always moves things away from the edge marginally if that helped.

So on an iPad Pro it might be OK, but i was testing on a 5th generation iPad and it was bringing up the dock at least every other time, if not more. Don't forget about those iPad minis too. I tried moving the dots a further 30 points away from the edge but it wasn't much better and it looked terrible. Remember as well that as a performance tool people will quite likely get a little over zealous with it, so the need to carefully use the gesture wasn't really good enough!

I honestly spent quite a while trying to get this to work and couldn't find a suitable solution, but if anyone can find a decent way of disabling the dock gesture I'd be up for revisiting it.

• @JSMilton said:

@espiegel123 said:

@JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:

As far as I'm aware there is no way to do this programmatically and the methods I saw for allowing users to do it were slightly too convoluted. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

@Artefact2001 said:

@JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:

So on an iPad Pro it might be OK, but i was testing on a 5th generation iPad and it was bringing up the dock at least every other time, if not more. Don't forget about those iPad minis too. I tried moving the dots a further 30 points away from the edge but it wasn't much better and it looked terrible. Remember as well that as a performance tool people will quite likely get a little over zealous with it, so the need to carefully use the gesture wasn't really good enough!

I honestly spent quite a while trying to get this to work and couldn't find a suitable solution, but if anyone can find a decent way of disabling the dock gesture I'd be up for revisiting it.

Have you looked into "Edge Protection"? It is my understanding that there is an edge protection property that apps can turn on to keep the dock-related gestures from interfering with them.

This post on StackOverflow mentions it: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46988469/how-to-enable-edge-protect-in-iphone-x

• I don’t think you can disable the Dock Swipe.
    That edge protection keeps the system from checking for gesture commands every time you touch in the lower edge, which was causing glitches in audio and responsiveness.
    But the Dock is always accessible.

• @espiegel123 said:

@JSMilton said:

@espiegel123 said:

@JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:

@Artefact2001 said:

@JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:

Have you looked into "Edge Protection"? It is my understanding that there is an edge protection property that apps can turn on to keep the dock-related gestures from interfering with them.

This post on StackOverflow mentions it: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46988469/how-to-enable-edge-protect-in-iphone-x

Well that seems to do the trick! I can't believe I missed that one. Much obliged sir. That'll teach me for not reading the class headers properly. I guess I'll be adding it into the next update. Thanks again man.

Now the question is, should swiping up / down essentially cycle through the states? So swiping up on a muted color will unmute, down on a soloed color will unsolo. That seems like a more natural approach, just means you won't be able to solo a muted color quickly.

• @CracklePot said:
    I don’t think you can disable the Dock Swipe.
    That edge protection keeps the system from checking for gesture commands every time you touch in the lower edge, which was causing glitches in audio and responsiveness.

I just gave it a go and it worked. It shows a small tab first, then second time it does the dock action. Much the same way AB works actually. I'll do some more testing but I think it's a workable solution

• @JSMilton said:

@CracklePot said:
    I don’t think you can disable the Dock Swipe.

I just gave it a go and it worked. It shows a small tab first, then second time it does the dock action. Much the same way AB works actually. I'll do some more testing but I think it's a workable solution

Sounds excellent.
    🤙🏻

• Obviously I must be doing something wrong, but I’m trying to trigger my pattern in NS2 instead of auto play and I can’t get it to work. I see that C0 selects the pattern I want, but I can’t trigger the pattern to start. Odd that in the MIDI settings it shows “C-1” is supposed to trigger, but that is also in the range of pattern selection...

Any advice?

• edited December 2019

Just in case: Note that C0 is not a portable label. It can be 3 or 4 different MIDI notes in practice (though 2 are the most common), depending on the instrument or app.

• @mojozart Thank you so much! That was the shove I needed to figure it out...

• Hey guys, just released a new update for Poly.

Features:

• Mixer now supports post fader send FX.
    • Mixer levels now scale better, from from -96dB to +6dB.
    • The lowest fader setting for mixer channels is now -infinity.
    • The keyboard for MIDI in now stretches across 6 octaves instead of 2.
    • Latch mode for keyboard notes in.
    • Global transpose control for all keyboards.
    • Patterns and FX slots can now be selected via AUParameters when using the app as an AU.
    • Double tapping a node will now lock it in place, preventing it from being moved, rotated or randomised.
    • Swiping up on a color selector will cause that color to solo.

Have a good week.

Cheers,

James