Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poly 2 is out

Comments

• edited November 2019

@JSMilton said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@JSMilton said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@JSMilton said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@JSMilton said:
    Morning guys, just released a small update for Poly. Here's the patch notes:

Features:

• User samples can now be organised into folders
    • FX settings now have 4 configurations, with each pattern being able to reference a specific configuration.
    • MIDI note lengths can now be quantised to the current tempo
    • Sample name will appear in the top right when switching colors

Bug fixes:

• Delay effect no longer clips when changing time
    • Mixer faders can now be reset by double tapping
    • Loading a project with the sequencer running will no longer cause some audio files to skip loading
    • Fixed an issue where clipping would occur when a project is first run
    • Fixed an issue that caused some note off messages to be processed as note ons

Cheers!

cool, does this mean the midi output is quantised to host tempo in time division values?

It does indeed. I've also added an option to quantise a nodes length parameter to 8ths i.e 12.5%, 25%, 37.5% etc. This works well to easily create varied but tempo synced note lengths.

will it show the division also? ie 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc...?

So the node won't show the division unfortunately. I tried to make it work but it clashed with the samplers envelope settings too much, therefore it's still a percentage I'm afraid. If I ever tempo sync the samplers envelopes then it might work, but you end up with situations like if the envelope isn't synced but the MIDI is, do you show the division or the percentage? It would be cool though so I'm definitely keeping it in mind.

The release on the envelope doesn't seem to work?

Seems OK on my end. Are you changing the nodes length property?

My bad, its working. Sorry 😊

• @JSMilton greetings!
    I’ve noticed that i cannot select patterns via midi if Poly2 instance is loaded into midi channel in AUM. Poly2 instantly crashes.
    If Poly is loaded into audio channel - everything is ok. Patterns are selecting and no crashes.

• @chalice said:
    @JSMilton greetings!
    I’ve noticed that i cannot select patterns via midi if Poly2 instance is loaded into midi channel in AUM. Poly2 instantly crashes.
    If Poly is loaded into audio channel - everything is ok. Patterns are selecting and no crashes.

Ah ok, I'll check this out later and get a fix out in the next couple of days. Thanks for letting me know!

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Poly 2 & Friends.

I think this plus Playbeat are gonna get a lot of use in the future. What a week for Apps.

Like the beefy, driving sound ... and having two Eventides in the same track is like having custard AND ice cream with your apple pie 🥧

• Thank You! :smile:

@JSMilton said:

@chalice said:
    @JSMilton greetings!

Ah ok, I'll check this out later and get a fix out in the next couple of days. Thanks for letting me know!

• edited November 2019

I thought I read that someone had made a patch for mapping Poly2 to various drum synths, but I can't find the comment now. Perhaps it is in the Mozaic thread?

Bingo: https://patchstorage.com/remap-multi-channel-midi-drums/

• 1 bug: hitting reverse on sample causes insta crash for me most times
    2 midi velocity?: can someone with paid version confirm that when using midi out that the left side velocity random actually sends random midi velocity and it’s not just a volume random for internal sounds? I need it to send rnd midi vel... I’d assume so but wanted to check before I pulled the trigger...

• edited November 2019

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    1 bug: hitting reverse on sample causes insta crash for me most times
    2 midi velocity?: can someone with paid version confirm that when using midi out that the left side velocity random actually sends random midi velocity and it’s not just a volume random for internal sounds? I need it to send rnd midi vel... I’d assume so but wanted to check before I pulled the trigger...

Yes it randomizes Midi velocity.

And I don’t know if it is because you are using the Free version, but the paid version doesn’t crash on me if I reverse samples.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    1 bug: hitting reverse on sample causes insta crash for me most times

Hey @MonkeyDrummer, I'd bee really interested to get a bit more context about the crash. Is it on a particular sample? Do you have sample end points set? Is the sequencer running etc. Anything you could give me would be great!

• Can you load auv3s?????

• edited November 2019

Man, Poly2 is a freaking masterpiece for parameter driven composition and performance. The way you can twist and morph melodies and beats is the best I’ve seen.

Crash has not occurred again, so must have been random.

@JSMilton maybe I missed it, but how can we create kits?

Also, the midi in to select notes is cool, but a little more control could be good. For example, so that it’s more like an arp, maybe some basic settings for up, down, up/down, would be nice. Also, maybe a latch function so it’s not up to the host keyboard to deal with holding notes... that’s a pain or impossible if using more than one midi channel.

Also, your probability icon hints at a modulo, Elektron style trig condition but it seems to just be a percentage... Any chance you’d be open to adding things like 1:4, 3:5, as in Elektron sequencers or GrooveRider16?

And a goofy idea... maybe have the nodes move/morph over a user selectable number of beats from position to position... May result in some cool weirdness.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Man, Poly2 is a freaking masterpiece for parameter driven composition and performance. The way you can twist and morph melodies and beats is the best I’ve seen.

Also, the midi in to select notes is cool, but a little more control could be good. For example, so that it’s more like an arp, maybe some basic settings for up, down, up/down, would be nice. Also, maybe a latch function so it’s not up to the host keyboard to deal with holding notes... that’s a pain or impossible if using more than one midi channel.

Also, your probability icon hints at a modulo, Elektron style trig condition but it seems to just be a percentage... Any chance you’d be open to adding things like 1:4, 3:5, as in Elektron sequencers or GrooveRider16?

And a goofy idea... maybe have the nodes move/morph over a user selectable number of beats from position to position... May result in some cool weirdness.

Cheers man!

So you can create kits by tapping on the samplers waveform, then going to the kits section. Theres controls there for saving kits.

More control for the playable notes is coming soon. I'm going to be adding scales and transposition, plus I'll look into your suggestions for the MIDI in. It's one of my favourite features so want it be as useful as possible.

I'm not familiar with the Elektrons probability functions, I'll got check it out. It's not out of the question to add more probability modes, but I have quite a large list of things to do now so it won't be soon!

Having the nodes move around on there own was something I thought about ages ago actually. I'm not sure why I never did anything with it. It would be cool though!

• @JSMilton said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Cheers man!

So you can create kits by tapping on the samplers waveform, then going to the kits section. Theres controls there for saving kits.

More control for the playable notes is coming soon. I'm going to be adding scales and transposition, plus I'll look into your suggestions for the MIDI in. It's one of my favourite features so want it be as useful as possible.

I'm not familiar with the Elektrons probability functions, I'll got check it out. It's not out of the question to add more probability modes, but I have quite a large list of things to do now so it won't be soon!

Having the nodes move around on there own was something I thought about ages ago actually. I'm not sure why I never did anything with it. It would be cool though!

moving graphics might increase CPU? This is something I noticed on other AUv3 apps when there is a lot of movement going on.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@JSMilton said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Cheers man!

moving graphics might increase CPU? This is something I noticed on other AUv3 apps when there is a lot of movement going on.

Yeh it would most certainly increase CPU load. I'd never do anything to compromise the performance of the app though, so no need to worry!

• @JSMilton said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@JSMilton said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Cheers man!

Yeh it would most certainly increase CPU load. I'd never do anything to compromise the performance of the app though, so no need to worry!

cool, i'm a bit of a worrier

• Yes I've only really scratched the surface with Poly 2 so far but it is a fantastic update which brings out all the potential Poly 1 glimpsed at, definitely one of my faves this year :)

Midi in works great but I'm finding I'm triggering patterns when I only want to trigger notes, might be nice if we could configure that behaviour a bit more as it's quite easy to accidentally trigger patterns when working with external sequencers, plus would also be nice to have notes split over more octaves if that's ever possible.

Maybe being able to set pattern select on a different midi channel to notes etc?

@JSMilton said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Cheers man!

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    [...] Also, the midi in to select notes is cool, but a little more control could be good. For example, so that it’s more like an arp, maybe some basic settings for up, down, up/down, would be nice. Also, maybe a latch function so it’s not up to the host keyboard to deal with holding notes... that’s a pain or impossible if using more than one midi channel.

@JSMilton said:

@JSMilton hope you find time to make a video recording demonstrating some of these possibilities :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Yes I've only really scratched the surface with Poly 2 so far but it is a fantastic update which brings out all the potential Poly 1 glimpsed at, definitely one of my faves this year :)

Midi in works great but I'm finding I'm triggering patterns when I only want to trigger notes, might be nice if we could configure that behaviour a bit more as it's quite easy to accidentally trigger patterns when working with external sequencers, plus would also be nice to have notes split over more octaves if that's ever possible.

Maybe being able to set pattern select on a different midi channel to notes etc?

@JSMilton said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Cheers man!

Yeh I did wonder if the MIDI in was slightly unruly. I'm thinking I'll probably redo a lot of the MIDI input and keyboard code and make it simpler and more robust. Good suggestion for assigning different channels to patterns, notes etc.> @bleep said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    [...] Also, the midi in to select notes is cool, but a little more control could be good. For example, so that it’s more like an arp, maybe some basic settings for up, down, up/down, would be nice. Also, maybe a latch function so it’s not up to the host keyboard to deal with holding notes... that’s a pain or impossible if using more than one midi channel.

@JSMilton said:

@JSMilton hope you find time to make a video recording demonstrating some of these possibilities :)

I'm gonna make some more videos showing off the features in the future. I'm gonna wait till I've got the iPhone version finished in a couple of months before going harder on the promo / tutorial stuff.

• @JSMilton - long shot i know, but what are the chances you could make this compatible with ios 12.1 instead of 12.2? I'm stuck on 12.1 and still don't want to update to 13 for a while... Really want to give Poly2 a spin!

• @Halftone said:
    @JSMilton - long shot i know, but what are the chances you could make this compatible with ios 12.1 instead of 12.2? I'm stuck on 12.1 and still don't want to update to 13 for a while... Really want to give Poly2 a spin!

The only reason I don't support anything lower is the fact I don't have a device that low to test on. Technically it's trivial for me to lower the minimum target. Suppose I could maybe get you a beta version for the next release and we could try it out?

• @JSMilton said:

@Halftone said:
    @JSMilton - long shot i know, but what are the chances you could make this compatible with ios 12.1 instead of 12.2? I'm stuck on 12.1 and still don't want to update to 13 for a while... Really want to give Poly2 a spin!

The only reason I don't support anything lower is the fact I don't have a device that low to test on. Technically it's trivial for me to lower the minimum target. Suppose I could maybe get you a beta version for the next release and we could try it out?

that's be swell!!! just let me know.

• edited November 2019

@JSMilton , is there a way to get the left side randomizations to be applied to the entire color at once rather than node by node?

it would be cool to have a tool that will autoload samples randomly with default/turned off envelopes etc. so basically a random kit creation tool.

it seems a bit odd that fox seem to be pre-fader/solo... so I solo track 2, but I still hear fx from other tracks... I turn down all channel faders, but still hear fx. I’d prefer fx sends post fader or at least an option.

How about the idea of a long press on the colors on the bottom lock them from being impacted by the left and right controls? Then you can rotate except for say green and yellow?

If the mixer controls for pan and vol could send midi cc as well so they could be mapped to hardware drum synth that would be useful.

• Found a bug. Mute is not really muting...
    Video

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    @JSMilton , is there a way to get the left side randomizations to be applied to the entire color at once rather than node by node?

it would be cool to have a tool that will autoload samples randomly with default/turned off envelopes etc. so basically a random kit creation tool.

it seems a bit odd that fox seem to be pre-fader/solo... so I solo track 2, but I still hear fx from other tracks... I turn down all channel faders, but still hear fx. I’d prefer fx sends post fader or at least an option.

How about the idea of a long press on the colors on the bottom lock them from being impacted by the left and right controls? Then you can rotate except for say green and yellow?

If the mixer controls for pan and vol could send midi cc as well so they could be mapped to hardware drum synth that would be useful.

So at the moment you can only control one node at a time. One thing you can do is long press the randomise parameter button, which will then only affect the selected color. It's something I always had in mind during dev but never got around to doing.

Maybe double tapping / long pressing a color would activate a new mode that would apply all param changes to every node of that color. That could actually double up with your suggestion of locking certain colors. An "activated" color will serve both purposes. Locking nodes was also an idea I had during dev (along with many, many others)!

FX being pre / post fader seems to be a polarising topic! Some people love it, some people hate it. I think your idea of an option is the only way to go.

MIDI CC out for the mixer is a decent idea. It's entirely doable but won't happen too soon.

Thanks for sending the video, I'm looking into this now.

• @JSMilton
    For that FX/mute issue just mentioned above, I find it works fine if you use the Fader or Mute on a voice. The voice does not leak into the FX.
    But if you use Solo on a voice, the muted voices DO leak into the FX.

• @CracklePot said:
    @JSMilton
    For that FX/mute issue just mentioned above, I find it works fine if you use the Fader or Mute on a voice. The voice does not leak into the FX.
    But if you use Solo on a voice, the muted voices DO leak into the FX.

It also seems to have something to do with voices that have variable send levels per node. It’s like those send amounts are working around the main level and sends.

• @CracklePot @MonkeyDrummer

There's a bug that causes small bits of audio from unsoloed tracks to leak when any other tracks are soloed. That's fixed and is part if an update that's coming in the next few days.

The node sends are working as intended as they are pre fader. I'm going to address this by having an option to set the sends to pre or post fader. Should keep everyone happy!

• @JSMilton said:
    @CracklePot @MonkeyDrummer

There's a bug that causes small bits of audio from unsoloed tracks to leak when any other tracks are soloed. That's fixed and is part if an update that's coming in the next few days.

The node sends are working as intended as they are pre fader. I'm going to address this by having an option to set the sends to pre or post fader. Should keep everyone happy!

You are too awesome!
    Thank you for all of your hard work.
    You have built an incredible app.
    🤙🏻

• Hey guys,

Just released another small update. Patch notes:

Features:

• Added the ability to export tracks as individual audio files
    • All nodes of a specific colour can be enabled / disabled by swiping down on the colour selector
    • The mixers volume, mute and solo functions can now be configured to affect MIDI out

Bugfixes:

• Fixed a bug where the mixer sometimes wouldn't mute sounds properly

Cheers, have a nice weekend!