Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poly 2 is out

Comments

• I haven't tried, but I would guess the routing would be Poly 2 --> Mozaic --> Ruismaker, with Mozaic set to map from Poly to Ruismaker. So point Poly 2 to Mozaic and Mozaic to Ruismaker.

• @bleep ahh yea, that makes a lot more sense. Up too early over here... time for some Poly and a cup of coffee.

• I think optional text overlays is really really useful in all apps with icons.

Minimalism is all very well but everyone uses different icons and text is universal . When you have many apps, getting a workflow is difficult if you have to remember what icons mean each time you reload after a short break.

"Expert mode" could be with only icons only, otherwise text helpers would be much appreciated :)

• @bounce Oh it should't crash at all - i'm going to investigate that B)

The routing question was already answered by bleep:

• First Poly 2 MIDI should send to Mozaic: In Mozaic input popup use Poly 2 MIDI as source
    • and Mozaic sends to Ruismaker: In Ruismaker input popup select Mozaic script as source and not Poly2
  • @_ki it’s working and interesting. Thanks for making it.

• @Carnbot said:
    I think optional text overlays is really really useful in all apps with icons.

Minimalism is all very well but everyone uses different icons and text is universal . When you have many apps, getting a workflow is difficult if you have to remember what icons mean each time you reload after a short break.

"Expert mode" could be with only icons only, otherwise text helpers would be much appreciated :)

+1

• @Artefact2001 said:

@Carnbot said:

+1

+2 with extra yes please.

• @Artefact2001 said:

@Carnbot said:

+1

I think you guys mean Sample labels for the colored dots, but has everyone noticed that the name of the parameter appears in the top right of the interface when you select a parameter icon to adjust it?

• edited October 2019

@CracklePot said:

@Artefact2001 said:

@Carnbot said:

+1

I think you guys mean Sample labels for the colored dots, but has everyone noticed that the name of the parameter appears in the top right of the interface when you select a parameter icon to adjust it?

And the ‘question-mark’ on the top left give a discription of the icons.. maybe I am misunderstanding..

• Looks like an update came out to fix some bugs?

• @RajahP said:

@CracklePot said:

@Artefact2001 said:

@Carnbot said:

+1

And the ‘question-mark’ on the top left give a discription of the icons.. maybe I am misunderstanding..

He would suggest that the top right area could be used to display sample name when the user touches the bottom dots. Sounds like a good approach. Would also need to allow the user to set a specific label for the dot, in case it has no sample.

• @bleep said:

@RajahP said:

@CracklePot said:

@Artefact2001 said:

@Carnbot said:

+1

He would suggest that the top right area could be used to display sample name when the user touches the bottom dots. Sounds like a good approach. Would also need to allow the user to set a specific label for the dot, in case it has no sample.

sample labels are good things.

• edited October 2019

@drez said:
    Looks like an update came out to fix some bugs?

@JSMilton send me a Pro promo code so I can check if it works correctly :smiley:

• Hey guys, I'm thinking a lot about labels for the dots. The main thing for me is allowing editing of the name, which I suppose could be done from the sample page. Maybe use the sample name as a default, then allow user editing from somewhere. I think showing the sample name in the top right is a great idea! I'm thinking I might add a button in the bottom left that toggles text on / off. I know people prefer things both ways, so having it configurable is key. This text button would show sample labels and node parameter names.

I think I'm gonna go with swiping up and down to mute / solo notes from each color. This will affect both the MIDI and audio.

On top of that, here's a list of things I'm planning on adding for future updates:

• Store mixer and FX settings with patterns, configurable.
    • Play cursor for keys and sequence
    • Quantised note lengths for MIDI
    • Export individual stems
    • Scale and transpose for keyboard
    • iPhone version
    • Acceleration curves for timing

You guys might have seen that the samples in the app are provided by a company called Noiiz. There is an opportunity for me to add more samples as ready made kits, via an IAP. Would that be something you'd be interested in? It's quite time consuming to assemble them as kits so don't want to go through the effort of it's not that big of a deal.

@Faland said:

@drez said:

@JSMilton send me a Pro promo code so I can check if it works correctly :smiley:

Nice try! :smiley: Probably could have left that out of the release notes in hindsight!

Always good to read this feedback guys

• @JSMilton just checking you saw my clarification regarding solo / mute behaviour:

"solos / mutes the midi not the audio" — what I meant here is it that it would solo mute the underlying 'midi notes, rather than mute the audio completely — ie a sound with a long decay would continue to play but subsequent notes would be muted. although I don't know if this is actually possible, without any knock on effects!

Would that be workable?

• @Artefact2001 said:
    @JSMilton just checking you saw my clarification regarding solo / mute behaviour:

"solos / mutes the midi not the audio" — what I meant here is it that it would solo mute the underlying 'midi notes, rather than mute the audio completely — ie a sound with a long decay would continue to play but subsequent notes would be muted. although I don't know if this is actually possible, without any knock on effects!

Would that be workable?

Yeh that's exactly how it will work! Basically I won't mute the channel, I'll just block new notes from triggering.

• iPhone Version will be golden for this!!! 👍🏼

• @JSMilton said:

@Artefact2001 said:
    @JSMilton just checking you saw my clarification regarding solo / mute behaviour:

Would that be workable?

Yeh that's exactly how it will work! Basically I won't mute the channel, I'll just block new notes from triggering.

Amazing! B)

• @JSMilton said:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking a lot about labels for the dots. The main thing for me is allowing editing of the name, which I suppose could be done from the sample page. Maybe use the sample name as a default, then allow user editing from somewhere. I think showing the sample name in the top right is a great idea! I'm thinking I might add a button in the bottom left that toggles text on / off. I know people prefer things both ways, so having it configurable is key. This text button would show sample labels and node parameter names.

I think I'm gonna go with swiping up and down to mute / solo notes from each color. This will affect both the MIDI and audio.

On top of that, here's a list of things I'm planning on adding for future updates:

• iPhone version

You guys might have seen that the samples in the app are provided by a company called Noiiz. There is an opportunity for me to add more samples as ready made kits, via an IAP. Would that be something you'd be interested in? It's quite time consuming to assemble them as kits so don't want to go through the effort of it's not that big of a deal.

@Faland said:

@drez said:

Nice try! :smiley: Probably could have left that out of the release notes in hindsight!

I’d be interested in sample IAP’s. It’s not unusual for “presets” to lead me in a direction I might not have otherwise traveled.

• @anickt said:

@JSMilton said:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking a lot about labels for the dots. The main thing for me is allowing editing of the name, which I suppose could be done from the sample page. Maybe use the sample name as a default, then allow user editing from somewhere. I think showing the sample name in the top right is a great idea! I'm thinking I might add a button in the bottom left that toggles text on / off. I know people prefer things both ways, so having it configurable is key. This text button would show sample labels and node parameter names.

• iPhone version

@Faland said:

@drez said:

I’d be interested in sample IAP’s. It’s not unusual for “presets” to lead me in a direction I might not have otherwise traveled.

Agreed, I’m a preset junkie.

• Export stems will be much appreciated :)

• edited October 2019

Pace yourself Jim! (imagine Scotty accent etc and aye, the haggis is in the fire now for sure.)

• So no one wants sample time stretch?

• @Mayo said:
    Export stems will be much appreciated :)

+1

• @kobamoto said:

@Mayo said:
    Export stems will be much appreciated :)

+1

Phase 2 of that:

Ableton export

• @JSMilton said:

• iPhone version

Sounds good!

Curious about the acceleration curves (yay!). Curves per ring or one common for the entire circle? Do you plan to have a mechanism for bringing everything back to sync with other running sequencers? Perhaps also "store acceleration curves with patterns, configurable", then a user might switch pattern to get back to "normal" sync(?).

The audio app Sector has these unique time warping curves for each sub-sector of a circle. Would be amazing to have something similar in a midi app! But given the latest discussion on troubles with nearby NoteOn/NoteOff, perhaps this is not doable.

• @JSMilton Export Stems functionality is both unexpected and amazing o:)

• Export stems, and Ableton export would be sweet

• @JSMilton Huge fan of the original Poly, loving the new version-so many possibilities!

Is there a way to make sub folders within the user sample folder? It’s filling up fast. Thanks!

• @hightunnels said:
    @JSMilton Huge fan of the original Poly, loving the new version-so many possibilities!

Is there a way to make sub folders within the user sample folder? It’s filling up fast. Thanks!

Glad you're enjoying the new version! The short answer is "not yet". The long answer is:

I had originally planned on integrating with the Files App and letting users manage the whole folder structure from there. The problem is, the AU Extensions can't access the folder that the Files App uses (the main apps documents folder). The main app and the extension have a shared folder, but the Files App can't access that! This basically means you can't share user created content (samples and presets) between the two if you are storing them in the Files Apps folder. Immensely frustrating.

It's a huge pain to create a fully functioning file manager in app, so I was holding off to see if Poly was actually popular before committing to it. Seems I might have to find a solution though.