Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• @SevenSystems said:

@rs2000 said:

@pauly said:

@SevenSystems said:

@ecamburn said:
    Another user perspective data point for @SevenSystems...

I really disliked MIDI editors in iOS so much so that I was limiting my purchases to apps with built in sequencers. I tried Modstep, BM3, Cubasis, and Zenbeats. Nothing clicked until X2. Love the workflow and absolutely the piano roll. Best on iOS imo. +1 on your vision of an all in one midi station that connects to all the bits and pieces inside of AUM and/or AB. It’s easy to set up and is as good of a workflow as can be found in the disjointed iOS environment IMO.

Thank you. I must admit though that the prospect of "just the whole Xequence enchilada inside a single (full-screen) AUv3 instance" somehow got me thinking.

To paraphrase James Carville: 'It's the state saving, stupid'. The reason I don't use Xequence much is that I'm disorganised. I noodle around with it for a while, do something I quite like. Come back a week later and can't recreate it. AUv3 allows you to save in AUM or ApeMatrix, (force) close the app, and come back later to a complete project.

I was used to the comfy way other apps do it, but if you practice hitting the "Restore last session" button every time you run Xequence 2 again, your life will be better 😅
    Just make sure you don't do anything in the arranger before or your previous session will be lost (at least that's my current understanding of the unique workflow).

We've discussed this earlier I think -- Xequence used to automatically restore the last session when launched. Many people weren't happy with that and requested this "Welcome screen". Now, there's also people who are not comfortable with the Welcome screen -- it would probably then be best to make it an option ("On launch: Restore last session | Ask | New project").

YES! This option plus being able to always see the grid when editing and I'm back in X2 business! 😃

• @Hypervox said:
    Quick question for the Xequence Gurus!

I've got a xequence session linked with AUM, which is hosting Korg's iM1 (IAA). The iM1 is in multi mode, and has 4 instruments loaded in midi channels 1-4, xequence has 4 instruments defined, each of which is mapped to a iM1 midi channel (1-4) . The problem I have is that xequence is correctly passing notes through to channels 1-3 (and I'm hearing the instruments), but channel 4 doesn't appear to be triggered and is silent - the only time I hear it is if I use the virtual keyboard in iM1.

Has anyone come across this before? Is this a xequence problem or (more likely) an iM1 problem?

In iM1, have you selected the patch you want for channel 4 by double clicking?
    Sometimes I forget and single click the patch and change the channel :lol:

Just checked my custom Xequence-iM1 template and it ran perfectly 6 channels, except 5 and 6. But then I chose the patches and its all ok in 8 channels

• @wim .. that reverb tho!

• X2 as AUv3 would be wonderful.

• Note that Xequence also does restore the last state if you tap "Restore last session" upon launching. But I agree, having state saving for an entire project in a single spot is of course an advantage.

Which is great if you are going back to the last thing you did, but if it's five ideas ago ...
    I remember having a bunch of hardware synths back in the Atari ST days. I bought a sysex patch librarian. It worked, but after a while I realised I was spending more time on the librarian than on the sequencer.

• Actually, while we are on the subject of me being lazy - and this is certainly not just regarding Xequence - isn't it about time all apps started to offer 'save to iCloud' as a standard setting? Maybe with a fallback for samples, where apps would look in iCloud first then look locally if the file isn't there.

• @pauly said:
    Actually, while we are on the subject of me being lazy - and this is certainly not just regarding Xequence - isn't it about time all apps started to offer 'save to iCloud' as a standard setting? Maybe with a fallback for samples, where apps would look in iCloud first then look locally if the file isn't there.

You might be lucky to always have great connectivity around but I'm really glad that many apps offer WebDAV instead. Requiring an internet connection is a no-go for me. WebDAV can be used with the internet storage of your choice too, but iCloud cannot be used in your home network. Even Apple supports WebDAV in many of their apps and it's so much more flexible.

• @senhorlampada said:

@Hypervox said:
    Quick question for the Xequence Gurus!

I've got a xequence session linked with AUM, which is hosting Korg's iM1 (IAA). The iM1 is in multi mode, and has 4 instruments loaded in midi channels 1-4, xequence has 4 instruments defined, each of which is mapped to a iM1 midi channel (1-4) . The problem I have is that xequence is correctly passing notes through to channels 1-3 (and I'm hearing the instruments), but channel 4 doesn't appear to be triggered and is silent - the only time I hear it is if I use the virtual keyboard in iM1.

Has anyone come across this before? Is this a xequence problem or (more likely) an iM1 problem?

In iM1, have you selected the patch you want for channel 4 by double clicking?
    Sometimes I forget and single click the patch and change the channel :lol:

Just checked my custom Xequence-iM1 template and it ran perfectly 6 channels, except 5 and 6. But then I chose the patches and its all ok in 8 channels

Ah - figured it out. Looks like some patches only map part of the keyboard - the patch I wanted to use mapped the upper part of the keyboard and I hadn't realised - DOH! So glad this is working now - I find the iM1 really inspiring to work with and Xequence-AUM method really works well.

• edited March 2020

@rezidue said:
    X2 as AUv3 would be wonderful.

Well, soon Maschine will be able to loop imported midi points....well,

_MASCHINE 2.10

ADDED Pattern Start Position:
    You can now define a Start-Offset for each Pattern. The above mentioned play range (set via Start and Length) can be freely moved throughout the Pattern via the Position marker from HW-Controllers or by dragging the loop range left and right in the Software._

Meaning... it will be much easier for midi files to be processed as patterns, etc. in Maschine..
    So this will bring the iPad with all its incredible midi apps (my favorite GR-16) more central to the desktop music creation process, for Maschine users.. and, this is where X2 comes in..
    IMaschine’s ‘Export to Maschine’ feature became less needed..

So, yes, X2 Auv3....would be wonderful..😊

• @Hypervox said:
    Ah - figured it out. Looks like some patches only map part of the keyboard - the patch I wanted to use mapped the upper part of the keyboard and I hadn't realised - DOH! So glad this is working now - I find the iM1 really inspiring to work with and Xequence-AUM method really works well.

Oh! good to know you worked it out! iM1 is really great indeed. Like to start tracks using it

• @rezidue said:

Probably a new app and new purchase Xequence 3. I'm interested in X2 but the AUv3 is a deal breaker for me so I'll be waiting to see if an update or new version comes out

• @rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

Probably a new app and new purchase Xequence 3. I'm interested in X2 but the AUv3 is a deal breaker for me so I'll be waiting to see if an update or new version comes out

what’sa deal breaker ? lol if it goes auv3??

• @reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

• @rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

whats wrong with auv3 tho? could be very useful and still have the standalone version

• @reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

whats wrong with auv3 tho? could be very useful and still have the standalone version

It doesn't support AUv3. I don't want any apps that don't support it. I want state saving and ability to use multiple instances if I want.

• edited March 2020

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

It doesn't support AUv3. I don't want any apps that don't support it. I want state saving and ability to use multiple instances if I want.

And most important, host sync!
    In the case ef Xequence this would be a game changer for syncing audio tracks, since Xequence can’t be MIDI slaved.

• ok so you want it to be auv3 i see, it sounded like you were anti auv3 at first

• @rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

Trust me. You do not want this. Sequencer apps should stay away entirely from hosting things. It's what broke modstep. You can already state save using audiobus and aum hosting the auv3 all in a single audiobus project.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

Trust me. You do not want this. Sequencer apps should stay away entirely from hosting things. It's what broke modstep. You can already state save using audiobus and aum hosting the auv3 all in a single audiobus project.

I may be wrong, but I think @rms13 is talking about Xequence becoming an AUv3 midi, not becoming an AUv3 host

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

I may be wrong, but I think @rms13 is talking about Xequence becoming an AUv3 midi, not becoming an AUv3 host

Yes, I'm talking about having the ability to use is as midi with AUM as the host as I can with step poly arp and atom

• @rms13 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

Yes, I'm talking about having the ability to use is as midi with AUM as the host as I can with step poly arp and atom

Makes sense to me. As with many AUv3 compatible apps, it can still have its own stand alone mode via its own host, but with an AUv3 midi extension available to those of us that pretty much ignore any apps that don’t have AUv3 extensions now.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@rms13 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@reasOne said:

@rms13 said:

@rezidue said:

AUv3 is a deal breaker

Makes sense to me. As with many AUv3 compatible apps, it can still have its own stand alone mode via its own host, but with an AUv3 midi extension available to those of us that pretty much ignore any apps that don’t have AUv3 extensions now.

I will just add to my comment. I’m aware that some people don’t require or desire the same things. I often state the desire for apps to go the AUv3 route, as I believe it’s the best way to let developers know what some people want. If enough ask for the same, it shows that there may be a potential market.

While developers have their own choices to be made, it is the opinion of many that AUv3 extensions are pretty important to the development of iOS apps. While some may disagree, I personally see little point in stand alone only apps. AUv3 apps can be sold with a stand alone host mode and as many extensions as desired or just one virtually full screen mode within a host. IAA only apps will be as rare as money in my savings account very soon! :p

• I love this app. I use it to sequence a digitakt, mb33 and micromonsta. What's the easiest way to record things like rosetta baseline into xequence? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to iPads and don't really have a clue what I'm doing 🤣

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

What is your preferred iOS host app, such as Audiobus 3 or AUM, for hosting Rozeta?

• @wim said:
    What is your preferred iOS host app, such as Audiobus 3 or AUM, for hosting Rozeta?

Either tbh. I have both but haven't really used them

• I don't really care about Xequence hosting things, though if it became a full DAW that it would be neat. Audiobus/AUM work fine for that. It would be cool if it could midi AU3s though.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@FatPudding said:

@wim said:

Then how are you using Rozeta? It has to run in a host. I’m trying to save time in giving you pointers by narrowing things down.

Or, have you not used Rozeta yet?

• I love this app. I use it to sequence a digitakt, mb33 and micromonsta. > @wim said:

@FatPudding said:

@wim said:

Then how are you using Rozeta? It has to run in a host. I’m trying to save time in giving you pointers by narrowing things down.

Or, have you not used Rozeta yet?

I've mainly used it as a midi effect in nanostudio 2

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

Here are a few places to start that probably do a lot better job than I can.

• @wim said:
    Here are a few places to start that probably do a lot better job than I can.

Thank you very much. I'll have a look at them