Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• Sweeeet! Thanks for listening.

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    Hey @SevenSystems I had an idea last night. Something that I think would help out those who like to use “clip launching” without mucking up the linear based approach of X2 much.

If it were possible to mark multiple loop sections, then activate them by tapping the timeline or via midi (preferably learnable, but using program change if not), this would be very much like scene launching in something like Live or Gadget, though implemented on a timeline.

It would be best to have some quantization options such as Beat, Measure, or Section. Even better if chaining and number of repeats were available, but I’d be perfectly happy even if not.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion :) Yes, something like that would not be incredibly hard to do in Xequence 2, and I'm sure it would add a lot of value for many users. (@crony :)). It is actually on the roadmap, but fighting for time with a lot of other stuff as well. It is not totally out of the question :)

Oh wow nice, will keep my eyes peeled

• Yes, please :)

• Is it done yet?

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    Hey @SevenSystems I had an idea last night. Something that I think would help out those who like to use “clip launching” without mucking up the linear based approach of X2 much.

If it were possible to mark multiple loop sections, then activate them by tapping the timeline or via midi (preferably learnable, but using program change if not), this would be very much like scene launching in something like Live or Gadget, though implemented on a timeline.

It would be best to have some quantization options such as Beat, Measure, or Section. Even better if chaining and number of repeats were available, but I’d be perfectly happy even if not.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion :) Yes, something like that would not be incredibly hard to do in Xequence 2, and I'm sure it would add a lot of value for many users. (@crony :)). It is actually on the roadmap, but fighting for time with a lot of other stuff as well. It is not totally out of the question :)

And make it controllable with MIDI 😯

• @clowm said:
    And make it controllable with MIDI 😯

<3 <3 <3

• edited February 2020

Changed midi settings to Jamstik and it worked like a charm! Midi recorded beautifully even having GeoShred in slide mode, it recorded the slide as well!😳 so awesome!

@mjcouche said:
    @Tones4Christ If you hit the ellipsis in the top right corner and select MIDI in the settings you will bring up a list of different MIDI modes

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Changed midi settings to Jamstik and it worked like a charm! Midi recorded beautifully even having GeoShred in slide mode, it recorded the slide as well!😳 so awesome!

Nice to hear. I bet it wouldn't record multiple simultaneous slides correctly though. That would require MPE (which Xequence is -- currently -- not able to handle without hacks).

@mjcouche said:
    @Tones4Christ If you hit the ellipsis in the top right corner and select MIDI in the settings you will bring up a list of different MIDI modes

• edited February 2020

Please also add live midi tempo change, audio tracks (with live timestretch), take my money, I'm out ;)

• I have a great wish, @SevenSystems

Xequence finely shows it's version number: Currently 2.2.7

But....

The PDF manual tries to hide for what version exactly it was written and is valid for.
    This is a major problem...

Not only it does not reflect for which version of Xequence is the valid, but also, this makes it problematic to determine which of the (possibly many) downloaded files is the right one.

So, PLEASE, add a version number to the manual.
    Either it's own running version, or even better, the valid Xequence version it was written for.

Eternally thankful....

• @SevenSystems Hi, I was playing with setting up controllers in Xequence 2. Is there a controller that could function as an on/off button in Xequence 2? Let's say if I wanted to set up one of the controllers in the interface to trigger Enso recording off and on?

• @tja said:
    The PDF manual tries to hide for what version exactly it was written and is valid for.

The manual is trying to be always as up to date as possible to the current Xequence version. There might be a few slightly outdated screenshots in between, but all the information should always apply to the most recent version.

If you download the manual as a PDF, I suggest just deleting your old PDFs and only keeping the most current one.

@skiphunt said:
    @SevenSystems Hi, I was playing with setting up controllers in Xequence 2. Is there a controller that could function as an on/off button in Xequence 2? Let's say if I wanted to set up one of the controllers in the interface to trigger Enso recording off and on?

There's no way to show a controller as a button or switch on Xequence's keyboard screen unfortunately... however, most such controllers (say, 64 (Sustain Pedal)) interpret any value above 64 to be "On", and below to be "Off". You can set one of the sliders on the keyboard screen to "Gate" mode (the pulse icon from the dropdown), and then it will behave like a momentary switch between "the value before it has been set to Gate mode" and the value where you tap. This works well for stuff like sustain, but maybe not for your particular use case.

• @SevenSystems said:

@ecamburn said:
    Another user perspective data point for @SevenSystems...

I really disliked MIDI editors in iOS so much so that I was limiting my purchases to apps with built in sequencers. I tried Modstep, BM3, Cubasis, and Zenbeats. Nothing clicked until X2. Love the workflow and absolutely the piano roll. Best on iOS imo. +1 on your vision of an all in one midi station that connects to all the bits and pieces inside of AUM and/or AB. It’s easy to set up and is as good of a workflow as can be found in the disjointed iOS environment IMO.

Thank you. I must admit though that the prospect of "just the whole Xequence enchilada inside a single (full-screen) AUv3 instance" somehow got me thinking.

To paraphrase James Carville: 'It's the state saving, stupid'. The reason I don't use Xequence much is that I'm disorganised. I noodle around with it for a while, do something I quite like. Come back a week later and can't recreate it. AUv3 allows you to save in AUM or ApeMatrix, (force) close the app, and come back later to a complete project.

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

@SevenSystems said:

The manual is trying to be always as up to date as possible to the current Xequence version. There might be a few slightly outdated screenshots in between, but all the information should always apply to the most recent version.

Fine, but that's not the problem.

If you download the manual as a PDF, I suggest just deleting your old PDFs and only keeping the most current one.

That's the problem.
    I cannot do this easily.
    As I download on the most different devices and later try to collect them.
    Sadly, the timestamps get lost and I then need to compare and try to make an educated guess about which is the newest.

Why not simply add any type of version or date?!?
    Realy don't understand.

I search my PDF collection and could not find ONE that has nothing like a version or some timestamp.

If it's a bad idea - why exactly?
    It it's a good idea - why not add it?

• @pauly said:

@SevenSystems said:

@ecamburn said:

I really disliked MIDI editors in iOS so much so that I was limiting my purchases to apps with built in sequencers. I tried Modstep, BM3, Cubasis, and Zenbeats. Nothing clicked until X2. Love the workflow and absolutely the piano roll. Best on iOS imo. +1 on your vision of an all in one midi station that connects to all the bits and pieces inside of AUM and/or AB. It’s easy to set up and is as good of a workflow as can be found in the disjointed iOS environment IMO.

Thank you. I must admit though that the prospect of "just the whole Xequence enchilada inside a single (full-screen) AUv3 instance" somehow got me thinking.

To paraphrase James Carville: 'It's the state saving, stupid'. The reason I don't use Xequence much is that I'm disorganised. I noodle around with it for a while, do something I quite like. Come back a week later and can't recreate it. AUv3 allows you to save in AUM or ApeMatrix, (force) close the app, and come back later to a complete project.

I was used to the comfy way other apps do it, but if you practice hitting the "Restore last session" button every time you run Xequence 2 again, your life will be better 😅
    Just make sure you don't do anything in the arranger before or your previous session will be lost (at least that's my current understanding of the unique workflow).

• @SevenSystems Any consideration for making Xequence 2 work directly within AUM. Would love to be able to load an AUM session and have a Xequence project pull up. The whole Audiobus as a middleman thing is a bit cumbersome.

• AUM , save the project as “song name X2”
    then in X2 save it as “song name AUM”
    bam organized
    open up the corresponding project in both apps and everything works as the way you left it

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@YourJunk said:
    @SevenSystems Any consideration for making Xequence 2 work directly within AUM. Would love to be able to load an AUM session and have a Xequence project pull up. The whole Audiobus as a middleman thing is a bit cumbersome.

You don’t need to use Audiobus. Just load X2 into an audio channel in AUM and direct the output to AUM Destination. However, there’s no way AUM can automatically restore the state (the project you were working on in X2). IAA doesn’t do that. Only Audiobus can.

To have AUM save the state, it would have to be re-written as an AUv3 app. A major effort that may or may not ever happen.

But until then ... no Audiobus needed. Just save the AUM Session and the X2 project with same names, then load in each app. It’ll cost you very little effort.

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

That's the problem.
    I cannot do this easily.
    Sadly, the timestamps get lost and I then need to compare and try to make an educated guess about which is the newest.

Realy don't understand.

I search my PDF collection and could not find ONE that has nothing like a version or some timestamp.

After download, I immediately rename the pdf file, adding the latest version #. If you haven't done that, and there's no date available, the latest tends to be the largest in file size. So it could be easier, but I can't see why it would be a significant problem.

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

That's the problem.
    I cannot do this easily.

Realy don't understand.

You can always rename the PDF can you not ? Just curious. It's what I do anyways

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

That's the problem.
    I cannot do this easily.

Realy don't understand.

OK, good points. I couldn't get my head around it at first, but after you've explained it, it makes perfect sense :) Will add the Xequence version number starting from the next manual revision!

(I can be a bit stubborn at first, but if something does make sense, I will happily change my mind!)

• @pauly said:

@SevenSystems said:

@ecamburn said:

Note that Xequence also does restore the last state if you tap "Restore last session" upon launching. But I agree, having state saving for an entire project in a single spot is of course an advantage.

• @YourJunk said:
    @SevenSystems Any consideration for making Xequence 2 work directly within AUM. Would love to be able to load an AUM session and have a Xequence project pull up. The whole Audiobus as a middleman thing is a bit cumbersome.

It's definitely under consideration!

• @rs2000 said:

@pauly said:

@SevenSystems said:

@ecamburn said:

I was used to the comfy way other apps do it, but if you practice hitting the "Restore last session" button every time you run Xequence 2 again, your life will be better 😅
    Just make sure you don't do anything in the arranger before or your previous session will be lost (at least that's my current understanding of the unique workflow).

We've discussed this earlier I think -- Xequence used to automatically restore the last session when launched. Many people weren't happy with that and requested this "Welcome screen". Now, there's also people who are not comfortable with the Welcome screen -- it would probably then be best to make it an option ("On launch: Restore last session | Ask | New project"). It's hard to please everyone :) But I agree the fact that you cannot go back to the Welcome screen "manually" if you "forgot" to restore the last session is not optimal. This will be looked into for the next update (along with another of your long-standing requests that has already been "looked into" for it ;))

• @SevenSystems said:

OK, good points. I couldn't get my head around it at first, but after you've explained it, it makes perfect sense :) Will add the Xequence version number starting from the next manual revision!

(I can be a bit stubborn at first, but if something does make sense, I will happily change my mind!)

I am very very happy and thankful :) :) :)

• Quick question for the Xequence Gurus!

I've got a xequence session linked with AUM, which is hosting Korg's iM1 (IAA). The iM1 is in multi mode, and has 4 instruments loaded in midi channels 1-4, xequence has 4 instruments defined, each of which is mapped to a iM1 midi channel (1-4) . The problem I have is that xequence is correctly passing notes through to channels 1-3 (and I'm hearing the instruments), but channel 4 doesn't appear to be triggered and is silent - the only time I hear it is if I use the virtual keyboard in iM1.

Has anyone come across this before? Is this a xequence problem or (more likely) an iM1 problem?

• @SevenSystems said:

@YourJunk said:

It's definitely under consideration!

Dope 👍

• @Hypervox said:
    Quick question for the Xequence Gurus!

I've got a xequence session linked with AUM, which is hosting Korg's iM1 (IAA). The iM1 is in multi mode, and has 4 instruments loaded in midi channels 1-4, xequence has 4 instruments defined, each of which is mapped to a iM1 midi channel (1-4) . The problem I have is that xequence is correctly passing notes through to channels 1-3 (and I'm hearing the instruments), but channel 4 doesn't appear to be triggered and is silent - the only time I hear it is if I use the virtual keyboard in iM1.

Has anyone come across this before? Is this a xequence problem or (more likely) an iM1 problem?

It would almost certainly be a problem outside Xequence, as channels 1-3 or 4 do not have any "special" treatment in Xequence and so I cannot think of any particular reason why that could be a problem.

Do you maybe have some kind of channel filtering going on in AUM's hamburger menu for the iM1 strip?

• @SevenSystems said:

Proven by the umpteen user feature requests that have made it into the app.

Cool Dev!