Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• One more thing. I wish there was an easy way to use midi effects in it, instead of having to use aum or audiobus. I use xequence mainly to sequence hardware and don't like using other apps if I can help it
    But I am nitpicking here. Keep up the good work. It's much appreciated

• @FatPudding thanks for the suggestions (and the praise!). The best way to use MIDI effects inside Xequence would probably be to "simply" add AU MIDI hosting to it and then offer "MIDI inserts" per track. While I can't imagine that coming in the near-term, I'm keeping it in my subconscious roadmap document for the distant future! :)

• @SevenSystems I really like Xequence and would love to use it more but the fact that is an "external" app keeps it away from my workflow. In my world an AU version inside AUM would be perfect. I would buy again, as a different app (just like your keys and pads)

I'm just saying. Maybe it is on the roadmap, maybe not. You just do what you have to do and thanks for what you're doing.

• @Monome said:
    @SevenSystems I really like Xequence and would love to use it more but the fact that is an "external" app keeps it away from my workflow. In my world an AU version inside AUM would be perfect. I would buy again, as a different app (just like your keys and pads)

I'm just saying. Maybe it is on the roadmap, maybe not. You just do what you have to do and thanks for what you're doing.

Adding my voice to this. And I know it isn't a new request for you @SevenSystems

I have been using DigiKeys for now, as that is AUv3, but would be really grateful to have a proper sequencer with timeline..

• edited April 2020

@Monome said:
    @SevenSystems I really like Xequence and would love to use it more but the fact that is an "external" app keeps it away from my workflow. In my world an AU version inside AUM would be perfect. I would buy again, as a different app (just like your keys and pads)

I keep clicking on these Xequence threads hoping to see, ‘Auv3 is now available’.. It will make my life so much more productive.. $40-50 is well worth the price to overcome this stress in iOS music (with support).. That AuMFX (Loading below an instrument) could be a nice addition too..

Please..

Thank you..

• I don't care about AU for this... I love it as standalone...
    But if @SevenSystems does something similar to keys and pads, i'm sure he'll get some money :lol:

Break X2 into X2 Recorder and X2 Midi Looper (or something like that) =

• When I do a setup with korg gadget and use the korg nano kontrol in x2 to record, the advanced midi is no longer available in gadget. Is this. Bluetooth issue? With normal midi it works.

• Is it possible to record midi data from korg gadget into x2? I want to transfer some songs to continue in x2, but not through midi export in gadget.

• When I hook up gadget the internal metronome in x2 is no longer heard. I have to assign a midi channel and use an instrument from gadget for sound. Is there a way to continue using the internal metronome?

• Hi @robklotzby and thanks for diving into Xequence!

Last time I checked, it was not possible to output MIDI Data from Gadget's sequencer in realtime. What you can do however is export MIDI files from Gadget ("Document" icon -> Export -> Standard MIDI File -> iTunes (no, really!)). These files will then be accessible in the standard "Files" app in "On my iPad" -> "KORG Gadget", and you can then tap on one, then tap on the "Share" icon in the top right corner, and then possibly (depends) on "... More", and then "Open in Xequence 2" should be available in the list (or you can also copy the file directly into Xequence's "MIDI Files" folder using the Files app).

Regarding the metronome: I just launched Xequence, turned on the metronome, hit "Play" and then launched Gadget, and the metronome kept sounding -- so maybe you are doing something slightly differently than me. Is that Gadget 2 or Gadget (legacy version)? Could you possibly do a short screen recording where the issue occurs, so I have a better idea of what might be going on?

Thanks!

• @robklotzby said:
    When I do a setup with korg gadget and use the korg nano kontrol in x2 to record, the advanced midi is no longer available in gadget. Is this. Bluetooth issue? With normal midi it works.

By default Gadget sets the NanoKontrol to "native mode", where Gadget takes it over and puts in place custom mappings. In native mode you have no control over the midi settings, but do have lots of convenient automatic mappings to common
    controls.

You can turn this off by going to Other Settings > Open, and scrolling down to where you can turn off Native Mode for the controller.

• @SevenSystems said:
    Hi @robklotzby and thanks for diving into Xequence!

Last time I checked, it was not possible to output MIDI Data from Gadget's sequencer in realtime. What you can do however is export MIDI files from Gadget ("Document" icon -> Export -> Standard MIDI File -> iTunes (no, really!)). These files will then be accessible in the standard "Files" app in "On my iPad" -> "KORG Gadget", and you can then tap on one, then tap on the "Share" icon in the top right corner, and then possibly (depends) on "... More", and then "Open in Xequence 2" should be available in the list (or you can also copy the file directly into Xequence's "MIDI Files" folder using the Files app).

Regarding the metronome: I just launched Xequence, turned on the metronome, hit "Play" and then launched Gadget, and the metronome kept sounding -- so maybe you are doing something slightly differently than me. Is that Gadget 2 or Gadget (legacy version)? Could you possibly do a short screen recording where the issue occurs, so I have a better idea of what might be going on?

Thanks!

Well, actually you can record a Gadget song in X2 in realtime, but you need to change all your gadgets by the Tapei gadget and set them to different MIDI channels. You need to enable Link in both apps, start recording in multitrack mode and then hit Play in Gadget. You won’t be able to listen to your song during this process, but once the whole song is recorded you can load your original song in Gadget, set every track to the same MIDI channels you previously selected in every Taipei module and setup X2 as usual to trigger Gadget.
    Hope this helps.

• @Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

Thanks!

Well, actually you can record a Gadget song in X2 in realtime, but you need to change all your gadgets by the Tapei gadget and set them to different MIDI channels. You need to enable Link in both apps, start recording in multitrack mode and then hit Play in Gadget. You won’t be able to listen to your song during this process, but once the whole song is recorded you can load your original song in Gadget, set every track to the same MIDI channels you previously selected in every Taipei module and setup X2 as usual to trigger Gadget.
    Hope this helps.

That's interesting. I swear I've tried to do that, but the only way I ever managed to have Tapei output any MIDI was to move its on-screen controls. It didn't seem to output MIDI from the sequencer. But maybe I was dense.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

That's interesting. I swear I've tried to do that, but the only way I ever managed to have Tapei output any MIDI was to move its on-screen controls. It didn't seem to output MIDI from the sequencer. But maybe I was dense.

You need to select “Gadget” as the output port, and “Gadget” as the source port in Xequence 2. Taipei will also show 32 Xequence available ports, but I haven’t figured out what they actually are or how to make them work.

• @Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

You need to select “Gadget” as the output port, and “Gadget” as the source port in Xequence 2. Taipei will also show 32 Xequence available ports, but I haven’t figured out what they actually are or how to make them work.

Thanks, I must have missed that. @robklotzby just a heads up. There's much more competent forum members than myself! :)

• @SevenSystems said:

Thanks!

I solved it by turning the metronome on in Gadget. The the sound returned in X2. Must have gotten lost somewhere.
    Thanks for you tip on the midi files.

Best rob

• @SevenSystems said:

@Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I must have missed that. @robklotzby just a heads up. There's much more competent forum members than myself! :)

Great knowledge base here!

• @wim said:

@robklotzby said:
    When I do a setup with korg gadget and use the korg nano kontrol in x2 to record, the advanced midi is no longer available in gadget. Is this. Bluetooth issue? With normal midi it works.

By default Gadget sets the NanoKontrol to "native mode", where Gadget takes it over and puts in place custom mappings. In native mode you have no control over the midi settings, but do have lots of convenient automatic mappings to common
    controls.

You can turn this off by going to Other Settings > Open, and scrolling down to where you can turn off Native Mode for the controller.

Great tip. Thx!

• Here’s another one. I record midi tracks in x2 with sound modules from gadget. Now, in order to get audio stems, I have to record them back into gadget. This works fine, but how do I synchronize the start and are eight bars in Gadget the same as eight bars in x2? It doesn’t seem that way.

• @robklotzby said:
    Here’s another one. I record midi tracks in x2 with sound modules from gadget. Now, in order to get audio stems, I have to record them back into gadget. This works fine, but how do I synchronize the start and are eight bars in Gadget the same as eight bars in x2? It doesn’t seem that way.

It should work if you enable Link and Link Start/Stop in both apps.

• If we can keep this thread alive it could hit 100 Pages by Black Friday! Of course, it will be 50 more pages of people asking for AUv3 when it's a source of clocking... Ok, they say... just rip out the User Interface and give us an AUv3 Piano Roll.

But just when I give up waiting... it's announced.

Did everyone forget about the "Xequence with AU(dio) Tracks" Uber-DAW? It was hints at. But that's also not a trivial "bolt on" feature since it opens the door to AUv3 Hosting.

• @wim said:
    You can easily roll your own. Make a blank 4x4 grid then assign the white keys starting from C3 to the pads.

@McD said:
    If we can keep this thread alive it could hit 100 Pages by Black Friday! Of course, it will be 50 more pages of people asking for AUv3 when it's a source of clocking... Ok, they say... just rip out the User Interface and give us an AUv3 Piano Roll.

But just when I give up waiting... it's announced.

Did everyone forget about the "Xequence with AU(dio) Tracks" Uber-DAW? It was hints at. But that's also not a trivial "bolt on" feature since it opens the door to AUv3 Hosting.

Sorry, what’s been announced?

• How can I make x2 record a beat from jazz drummer or rock drummer?

• @gregsmith said:

@wim said:
    You can easily roll your own. Make a blank 4x4 grid then assign the white keys starting from C3 to the pads.

My comment above was just about creating a drum pad map for some app (forget which). No relation do with the other quote you referenced.

• @wim said:

@gregsmith said:

@wim said:

My comment above was just about creating a drum pad map for some app (forget which). No relation do with the other quote you referenced.

Yeah not sure how that ended up in the quote @wim . Meant to just quote @McD

• @robklotzby said:
    How can I make x2 record a beat from jazz drummer or rock drummer?

1. In X2, enable "Virtual Source" in Settings > MIDI / Recording > MIDI Output
    2. In X2, enable Link and Link Start/Stop
    3. in X2, set Count-In to zero bars.
    4. In RockDM enable Link and Link Start/Stop
    5. In RockDM MIDI settings enable MIDI Out to Xequence Destination, and make sure the "Send Notes" button at the top right is enabled.
    6. Press record in X2. Rock DM often includes a cymbal crash after fills, so you probably want to record an extra bar if your beat ends with a fill.

Settings are probably similar in Jazz Drummer. I don't have it to check though.

When you want to play back from X2, you just need to set the MIDI output destination to Rock DM, and in Rock DM enable "Sound Module".

Hope it helps...

• wimwim
    edited April 2020

@gregsmith said:

@wim said:

@gregsmith said:

@wim said:

Yeah not sure how that ended up in the quote @wim . Meant to just quote @McD

McD quotes, which can be high in distortion at times, do tend toward antialiasing in the upper registers. This can cause unpleasant unwanted quotes reflecting down from the Nyquist frequency to appear. These can cause a brittle or ringing quality in the quoted post. Higher levels of oversampling can reduce this, however, at the cost of higher processor overhead.

• @wim said:

@robklotzby said:

5. In RockDM MIDI settings enable MIDI Out to Xequence Destination, and make sure the "Send Notes" button at the top right is enabled.
    6. Press record in X2. Rock DM often includes a cymbal crash after fills, so you probably want to record an extra bar if your beat ends with a fill.

When you want to play back from X2, you just need to set the MIDI output destination to Rock DM, and in Rock DM enable "Sound Module".

Hope it helps...

Thanks for your support. I managed to sync them, so I can start jazz drummer from x2, but so far no recording.
    Should midi in be activated in x2?

• @robklotzby said:

@wim said:

@robklotzby said:

Hope it helps...

Thanks for your support. I managed to sync them, so I can start jazz drummer from x2, but so far no recording.

• @robklotzby said:

Yes. Make sure that MIDI In is enabled and that Xequence Destination is enabled in the Sources.