Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New FabFilter apps

Comments

• Thanks, @Fruitbat1919, @jipumarino, @palm, @espiegel123 and @DCJ
    Put them on my wishlist for now, as no money left :D :)

• edited June 2019

It’s definitely cool to have a desktop heavyweight join the iOS party.

Hopefully this will encourage better DAW options too.

(way too long rambly bit deleted!)

• Can anybody check to see if the new FabFilter plugins work inside of Midi Guitar2? I bought Pro Q2 awhile back and found that it crashed MG2 as soon as I added it to an FX slot. I contacted Jam Origin and was told they’d look into it. I was wondering if Pro Q3 and the rest of them were stable inside MG2.

• @Tovokas said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    I think it depends what kinda music you’re making. Super clean/transparent? Then FAbFilter is pretty unparalleled....For instance Pro-Q has been my go to for surgical eq for years now. And big fan of Pro-L when mastering. Use both of those every project.

But Fabfilter aren’t plugins I ever reach for outside of those two. Real shame that Saturn isn’t included in this bundle, that’s their most creative/fun/vibey plugin imho.

Just a heads up for anyone considering the bundle and expecting to get more mojo in their mixes etc as a result. That’s not really Fabfilter’s thing.....Though the price is good so it’s probably worth it for anyone that’s fully ios, even just for pro-q and pro-l and seeing the rest as bonuses...Those two plugins rule for their surgical/transparent purposes.

Either way, it’s great to see these on the platform and nice to see people so stoked :) Enjoy!

This is a really good point. On the desktop I mostly put my “color” on the busses, so the clean precision of the FabFilter plugins is ideal for me. But they’re generally not going to give you the vibe of say a PSP E27, or a 73 on the EQ front, or a 76/LA2A or MJUC on the compression side. I’m guessing Saturn is on it’s way, which will be a nice addition to add some growl and grit.

Still, for iOS... there’s nothing close. Finally, I always encourage everyone to watch the top-notch tutorial videos on the FabFilter site: they make the collection even more valuable.

Yah I am not seeking anything special in the color, saturation, distortion world etc. The Klevgr stuff is fine enough right now for my very casual interest in that. One day sure I will want to crunch it up like I did in the old days with pedals and cheap mics (cause I had no choice) but I feel I need to get clean and transparent down and under wraps first which for me is a part of making those crunchier things I may wander into later not just sound cheap anyway.

• Q3 not recalling eq settings in AUM for me. The graphical display looks as expected but the sound is not effected.

• @BT1 said:
    Q3 not recalling eq settings in AUM for me. The graphical display looks as expected but the sound is not effected.

Do u have Q2? If so, does it do it in that too?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:
    Q3 not recalling eq settings in AUM for me. The graphical display looks as expected but the sound is not effected.

Q2 works fine.

• Woo....First time spending $100 in one shot on the App Store yay! I think? 💰

• @BT1 said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

Q2 works fine.

That’s not a good sign, anyone else having recall issues on Q3 or any other new plugs?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

Q2 works fine.

That’s not a good sign, anyone else having recall issues on Q3 or any other new plugs?

Just tried myself and can confirm. Having the same issue in AUM. Haven’t tried other hosts yet

• @ruggedsmooth said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

Q2 works fine.

Just tried myself and can confirm. Having the same issue in AUM. Haven’t tried other hosts yet

Oh yah, ProQ3 recall not working right in Cubasis this morning either. :( L2 works though.

• @AudioGus said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

Q2 works fine.

Oh yah, ProQ3 recall not working right in Cubasis this morning either. :( L2 works though.

C2 works fine.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

Pro-R 2 is amazing. You really get control of time based details as you would expect from a reverb but you also get another set of "curves" to adjust so the time based settings are applied to an EQ spectrum.

Fab Filters display of the sound being processed helps relate the EQ curve decisions to the sound being processed so you can target things you hear so quickly. The EQ curves are color coded to indicate which Time setting is to be adjusted.

Nothing feels this Pro on my iPad in any product category. I didn't fall into the habit of using Pro-Q 2 but one app gives you more understanding of another. You would thinking duplicating EQ's in many products would just create extra unwanted artifacts but it doesn't seem to matter since everything sounds so transparent.

The comment about taking an offensive track and using Pro-L and Pro-Q3 to make it listenable got my mind working how I might become someone who "masters" for personal benefit. The price of the Bundle dropped for me by the exact cost of Pro-R 2. After picking up one more $40 must have I'll be at $50 for the remaining 5 Apps. That's reaches my $10 Rule and I'm done home free.

I do think you become a Pro by mastering the best tools so you do need to decide how good you intend to get at making music listenable. There are folks here that select great notes but the music is hard to listen to because of app selection for sounds and FX. You can't really say it directly unless they are seeking professional advice. A friend that says your projects are painful will find something nice to say about
    something and move on.

Maybe the best demo I could put up would be an older project that gets the Pro-Q2 and Pro-R treatment so folks can imagine becoming post-production sound engineers since it's really fun and not so surgical
    as the "perfect sound space and expensive monitoring" world of Pro Mastering. I listen to the Mastering Pros talk and they keep insisting it's using your judgement and your ears. I do have those already.

I hope Fab Filter makes us some multi-FX apps using their amazing DSP code along the lines of the great IOS Multi-Tap Delay products like the "not to be forgotten" Kosmonaut.

Fab Filter will change IOS Music for the better if we learn to hear and use better judgement about the whole sound scape of a project. It's also great for sonically tuning up and AUM rig for maximum results in live playing in headphones. Pro-R will probably not get displaced by the other 8 Reverbs i already own. I was down to 2 and now will probably stick with it unless it's too resource heavy in some massive AUM channel line-up.

I found that some apps I would use before are OK since I can "master" the to be better
    to do what I'd like them to do... like using Fuzzplus3 to add some distortion since the Fab Filter apps don't offer a way to distort a guitar. Then you can take some massive distortion and make it "musical" with EQ and Reverb. So, Multi-Band Compression seems like it might be my $40 must have. I like compression a lot but maybe I'll love targeted compression and expansion in a single app. That makes sense to me. Then I'll get the remaining 5 for $10 each. Done.

"Sucker".

• @BT1 said:

@AudioGus said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@BT1 said:

Q2 works fine.

C2 works fine.

Also MB works fine.

• I only checked this in AUM, and yes, all seem to work, beside Q3.

I’m happy with Q2 anyway, so can wait for this to be fixed.

• I'm confident there's currently no better tools on iOS. And the price is cheap compared to the desktop - even on sale. Wish they were available on the iPhone.

Pro-R is undoubtedly the best reverb on iOS now. On the desktop, I bought Exponential Nimbus as my "transparent" reverb (and Valhalla vintage for character) instead of Pro-R as I thought it sounded better, but clunky UI. I use Q3 on almost every track as a fixer. I use L2 on the mixbus on every song. I often use C2 if I want transparent compression or sidechaining. On the desktop, I've read of people liking the sound of Crave EQ better than Q3 for EQ... I quite like the dynamic EQ of Q3 and the rest of the UI though and have no issues with the sound quality. I rarely use MB on the desktop to date but that's not the issue with the tool itself, which is very easy to use.

I'm half tempted to get Pro-R and use an old iPad as an external hardware reverb send. $40 is a bargain.

• This is just great for iOS. Well done, FabFilter. Now a serious producer (I'm not there yet...) can truly mix and master on the go without being locked into AurioPro.

Well nearly.

Very good for the platform.

• edited June 2019

You can ‘wake up’ your Pro Q3 by saving the preset, doing some tweaks (which wont be audible) then reloading your saved preset.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

I bought Klevgrand Tine's and thought "What a lousy E-Piano tone." Later I some good FX processing to the "channel" and thought I can probably run 10 of these Tines apps (not that I want to). I can tweak Tines to sound more like Neo Soul Studio at a fraction of total resource consumption. Sometimes "best" is the enemy of better: tradeoffs in the very finite universe called IOS.

I think getting these FF tools will make some "not great" FX coloring apps (like FuzzPlus3 to think of something I rarely used) show their benefits. Simple light weight FX colors that have ugly EQ, reverb, attack, etc will suddenly do that one thing you might want for coloring. This is a benefit for folks like me that might never need to master anything. We can "master" our AUM/AB/ApeMatrix/NS2 rigs and get better live results too.

We tend to judge FX by there single use value and these tools change the calculus to consider if the App has any simple point in a channel strip. We will still go crazy for the all in one genius Apps of Sugar Bytes but I think we'll learn something with investments in super refined Pro DSP tools. $130 is starting to look like a sound investment after dropping $40 and re-thinking my assumptions about how to spend my money and change my music "listening"... live playing in headphones is really "live listening for a party of one".

What I'm hearing in my headphones is already better building channel strips of Fuzz, Coloring Compressors (Magic Death Eye for the win), IR Cabinets, Delays, etc.

• I agree completely with the comment above that describes this as a massive leap in quality for iOS on the whole re quality audio plugins. That’s a spot on observation. These tools make everything else I have feel like toys. Pro C isn’t getting much mention in the thread, but to me it’s the most versatile of the bunch. ProL is incredible, no doubt. It can honestly feel almost magical sometimes, but I’d be fine with it living in Auria since I don’t see using that in a live setup. ProQ is notorious, but honestly I can “get there” with some trial and error with other plugins. ProMB is bafflingly difficult to understand if you’ve never used a multiband before, but once you get it, it can be as amazing as the others. There is no reverb even close to what you can achieve with ProR, with Altispace coming the closest to my ears. ProG can deliver some incredible punchlines to kicks, but I could live without it. ProDS is useless to me. Still, with the bundle pricing delivering the huge discount it currently is, I’d feel foolish to cherry pick my favorites, since I can have the lot for the same price as half of the individual plugs. The bottom line is that this was a damn good day for iOS music makers.

• @McD said:
    I bought Klevgrand Tine's and thought "What a lousy E-Piano tone." Later I some good FX processing to the "channel" and thought I can probably run 10 of these Tines apps (not that I want to). I can tweak Tines to sound more like Neo Soul Studio at a fraction of total resource consumption. Sometimes "best" is the enemy of better: tradeoffs in the very finite universe called IOS.

I think getting these FF tools will make some "not great" FX coloring apps (like FuzzPlus3 to think of something I rarely used) show their benefits. Simple light weight FX colors that have ugly EQ, reverb, attack, etc will suddenly do that one thing you might want for coloring. This is a benefit for folks like me that might never need to master anything. We can "master" our AUM/AB/ApeMatrix/NS2 rigs and get better live results too.

We tend to judge FX by there single use value and these tools change the calculus to consider if the App has any simple point in a channel strip. We will still go crazy for the all in one genius Apps of Sugar Bytes but I think we'll learn something with investments in super refined Pro DSP tools. $130 is starting to look like a sound investment after dropping $40 and re-thinking my assumptions about how to spend my money and change my music "listening"... live playing in headphones is really "live listening for a party of one".

What I'm hearing in my headphones is already better building channel strips of Fuzz, Coloring Compressors (Magic Death Eye for the win), IR Cabinets, Delays, etc.

Yes yes, I like it 👍

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

I know people are curious so I took the risk on the Q2 to Q3 bundle so see how it would
    game out for total spend to get all the apps.

I bought Pro-Q 2 in April and saved $15 then and this upgrade saved me $2 today.
    The $27 spent to get Pro Q3 is not reflected in my Pro Bundle offer. It's still $90 after buying Pro-R. So the $27 was my gift to the community group mind and to Fab Filter for their work.

Do not buy the Pro-Q2 to Pro-Q3 upgrade if you intend to use the Pro Bundle at some point. The money invested for the Q2 to Q3 upgrade ($27 in my case) is not reflected in the totally bundle cost. Just get Q3 in the bundle. All of the other app purchases will be reflected in a discounted Bundle cost so take the smarter path to conserve $'s.

I know a lot of folks are thinking about getting one or 2 of these but I suspect getting and using them will teach lessons about sound engineering and listening that can't be learned
    without some hands on.

I'm going to compare Q2 to Q3 and see why they created the new product in the first place.

I was watching this today and it really helped me understand why I probably want Pro-MB to fix my other FX apps for their annoying attributes.

Do you know what the difference between a Multi-Band and a Mu Compressor? When the "glue" is dry? Show the bass player be pumping the drummer? Can you drop in a new snare drum to change out a bad one? Ask the Pro's and get their tools.

• edited June 2019

Thanks @McD

I was worried that the Pro-Q bundle would not result in a discount on the full bundle, and it appears you have proven this to be the case. This suggests bundles are(can) never be adjusted by other bundles, only individual app purchases.

I am still interested to hear from anyone who bought Pro-Q 2 full price, and upgraded to Pro-Q3 for £15/$15. Did it make any difference to the full bundle price afterwards?

• @McD said:
    I know people are curious so I took the risk on the Q2 to Q3 bundle so see how it would
    game out for total spend to get all the apps.

I bought Pro-Q 2 in April and saved $15 then and this upgrade saved me $2 today.
    The $27 spent to get Pro Q3 is not reflected in my Pro Bundle offer. It's still $90 after buying Pro-R. So the $27 was my gift to the community group mind and to Fab Filter for their work.

Do not buy the Pro-Q2 to Pro-Q3 upgrade if you intend to use the Pro Bundle at some point. The money invested for the Q2 to Q3 upgrade ($27 in my case) is not reflected in the totally bundle cost. Just get Q3 in the bundle. All of the other app purchases will be reflected in a discounted Bundle cost so take the smarter path to conserve $'s.

I know a lot of folks are thinking about getting one or 2 of these but I suspect getting and using them will teach lessons about sound engineering and listening that can't be learned
    without some hands on.

I'm going to compare Q2 to Q3 and see why they created the new product in the first place.

I was watching this today and it really helped me understand why I probably want Pro-MB to fix my other FX apps for their annoying attributes.

Do you know what the difference between a Multi-Band and a Mu Compressor? When the "glue" is dry? Show the bass player be pumping the drummer? Can you drop in a new snare drum to change out a bad one? Ask the Pro's and get their tools.

• @Philh0954 said:
    Can anybody check to see if the new FabFilter plugins work inside of Midi Guitar2? I bought Pro Q2 awhile back and found that it crashed MG2 as soon as I added it to an FX slot. I contacted Jam Origin and was told they’d look into it. I was wondering if Pro Q3 and the rest of them were stable inside MG2.

Pro Q2 and Pro Q3 make it crash.
    Pro R is working for me. I have an iPad 2018 that has 2GB of RAM.

To test I loaded Pro Q2 and Q3 into the guitar FX slot #1 and both crashed the standalone app.

Pro-R loaded for the Guitar successfully and I loaded up a MIDI Neo Soul "Pure Platinum Synth" with some strings and added Pro-R to that as well so 2 copies running.

I kept loading FX apps for the guitar channel adding BlueMagoo Parametric Equalizer which for $3 is pretty damn cool and the new DDMF "Magic Death Eye" compressor.

I save this setup as a config and started up AUM.
    I loaded MIDI Guitar as an FX App and followed it with Pro Q3 in AUM.
    Hit record and uploaded this sound file:

NOTE: MIDI Guitar works on iPhones but Fab Filters do not so. The GUI's are too complex for the small screen but I'll bet from a RAM CPU perspective they would work there. Too bad. I'd create AUM projects and run then on the iPhones too.

• Q3 is crashing iPadOS beta for me.

• @chocobitz825 said:
    Q3 is crashing iPadOS beta for me.

Ouch. I hope you get that fixed soon for us all. Try [email protected].

• @McD said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Can anybody check to see if the new FabFilter plugins work inside of Midi Guitar2? I bought Pro Q2 awhile back and found that it crashed MG2 as soon as I added it to an FX slot. I contacted Jam Origin and was told they’d look into it. I was wondering if Pro Q3 and the rest of them were stable inside MG2.

Pro Q2 and Pro Q3 make it crash.
    Pro R is working for me. I have an iPad 2018 that has 2GB of RAM.

To test I loaded Pro Q2 and Q3 into the guitar FX slot #1 and both crashed the standalone app.

Pro-R loaded for the Guitar successfully and I loaded up a MIDI Neo Soul "Pure Platinum Synth" with some strings and added Pro-R to that as well so 2 copies running.

I kept loading FX apps for the guitar channel adding BlueMagoo Parametric Equalizer which for $3 is pretty damn cool and the new DDMF "Magic Death Eye" compressor.

I save this setup as a config and started up AUM.
    I loaded MIDI Guitar as an FX App and followed it with Pro Q3 in AUM.
    Hit record and uploaded this sound file:

NOTE: MIDI Guitar works on iPhones but Fab Filters do not so. The GUI's are too complex for the small screen but I'll bet from a RAM CPU perspective they would work there. Too bad. I'd create AUM projects and run then on the iPhones too.

Did you restart your iPad after the installs? Forgive the obvious question if you did please.

• I understand Q2 is quite easy on CPU. Can someone check out Q3, C2 and Pro-R please, like how many instances can you load?