Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New FabFilter apps

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I've added you to the Mrs 'visit' list, just in case :D :D
    This is something I struggle with at the moment on iOS, perhaps Pro-R should be my first purchase fromif it doesn't work for me I'll send the Mrs round for a refund :D

That’s fine I just don’t wanna be blamed for operator error lol 😂

• @McD said:
    Fab Filter doesn't have a process to add IOS Users to the Forum with automated accounts.
    IOS Buyers (or anyone) can read the Forum but not be given an Account yet.

So, can someone that has a Desktop Plug-In and an account ask the questions about
    how to implement Side-Chaining in IOS?

Have you tried emailing them? According to their web site , you can get support by writing to: [email protected]

• @espiegel123 said:
    Have you tried emailing them? According to their web site , you can get support by writing to: [email protected]

Yes. I have requested support for side-tracking details. I should re-visit their Forum now and see if someone with both
    products has opened the issue on a thread.

Someone named "Marco" has posted the question:

Hi there! I bought proC-2 for IOS mainly because it advertised sidechaining. Now, how am I supposed to make it work? All the tutorials use desktop apps as examples, on IOS I don’t see how I can route the sc signal to the main track. Is this supposed to work in AUM or do I have to use a daw like Cubasis or bm3?
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• @Zaubrer said:
    Wondering about the Reverb. Is it the one to rule them all?

without a doubt.

• Now there's a "first to market" opportunity for the DAW developers to make this work.
    Place your bets:

Auria Pro
    Cubasis
    AUM
    AudioBus4
    NanoStudio3
    BeatMaker4
    StageLight
    Multi-Track
    AEMS
    (Ableton Dead on Arrival)
    and... wait for it...GarageBand.
    (Logic Pro Touch?)

• @McD said:
    Now there's a "first to market" opportunity for the DAW developers to make this work.
    Place your bets:

Auria Pro
    Cubasis
    AUM
    AudioBus4
    NanoStudio3
    BeatMaker4
    StageLight
    Multi-Track
    AEMS
    (Ableton Dead on Arrival)
    and... wait for it...GarageBand.
    (Logic Pro Touch?)

Well, NanoStudio 3 won't be along til 2026, if ever, based on the current rate (Where are my damn audio tracks, spring 2019?)

• edited June 2019

@Carnbot said:
    Yeah I know that the apps are good value on iOS...
    But in truth I'd prefer to buy them on desktop at full price for them to work across multiple platforms.
    Plus they're guaranteed as plugins to work for decades (even if they stopped working on iOS they would work on desktop platforms, you can downgrade OS easily etc.
    On iOs Apple don't let you have the same control so the plugins are less valueable as licenses, hence low cost apps.

This is what i worry about. I can justify the higher price ...because they are great plugins. But with OSX and iOS integrating in the next couple years, IAA being phased out, and just the overall uncertainty in what will remain a 'standard' in iOS music production we don't even have a 'license' at all once we've purchased these plugins... just a receipt from the app store.

• @BitterGums said:
    just the overall uncertainty in what will remain a 'standard' in iOS music production we don't even have a 'license' at all once we've purchased these plugins... just a receipt from the app store.

I think you're overthinking it. Way too much fear and uncertainty for my tastes in a discussion of the future. Every App I have ever bought iTunes is available to re-load on from Tunes account. A handful have stopped working in IOS 12 but I have an older IOS 9 iPad where they do keep working like NanoStudio 1 for example.

IAA isn't going to be broken anytime soon. They are just not going to support developers requesting bug fixes at some future update of IOS. I wish I could think of an Apple API that has been deprecated to show how something isn't actively enhanced but it still worked for 5 years or so. Maybe a dev can comment. The original AudioBus still runs on my old iPad I think and some apps probably use it.

These Fab Filter Apps are just wonderful but yes they cost more. Use the Apps you can afford. There are so many choices now
    in every category except IR Reverbs. Only IAA aging apps there.

• @McD said:

@BitterGums said:
    just the overall uncertainty in what will remain a 'standard' in iOS music production we don't even have a 'license' at all once we've purchased these plugins... just a receipt from the app store.

I think you're overthinking it. Way too much fear and uncertainty for my tastes in a discussion of the future. Every App I have ever bought iTunes is available to re-load on from Tunes account. A handful have stopped working in IOS 12 but I have an older IOS 9 iPad where they do keep working like NanoStudio 1 for example.

IAA isn't going to be broken anytime soon. They are just not going to support developers requesting bug fixes at some future update of IOS. I wish I could think of an Apple API that has been deprecated to show how something isn't actively enhanced but it still worked for 5 years or so. Maybe a dev can comment. The original AudioBus still runs on my old iPad I think and some apps probably use it.

These Fab Filter Apps are just wonderful but yes they cost more. Use the Apps you can afford. There are so many choices now
    in every category except IR Reverbs. Only IAA aging apps there.

A lot of MacOS calls were deprecated over 10 years ago and are only going to finally disappear with the next OS. Some disappeared sooner. A lot depends on how many popular apps rely on the deprecated OS calls.

• edited June 2019

@tk32 said:
    Here's a question....

Which of the iOS DAWs/hosts currently support automation of insert and send AUv3 effects?

@dendy - do you know if this (^^ see above) is possible in NS2?

No AUfx automation, ATM in NS you can automate just build in FXs.

• @dendy said:

@tk32 said:
    Here's a question....

Which of the iOS DAWs/hosts currently support automation of insert and send AUv3 effects?

@dendy - do you know if this (^^ see above) is possible in NS2?

No AUfx automation, ATM in NS you can automate just build in FXs.

Thanks for confirming.

I feel this is an important feature missing from most of our iOS DAWs.

Cubasis is the only one confirmed as supporting it (afaik).

• edited June 2019

@tk32 said:
    I feel this is an important feature missing from most of our iOS DAWs.
    Cubasis is the only one confirmed as supporting it (afaik).

Hm, i thought that actually NS2 is only one which doesn't support it. BM3 has AUfx automation, Cubasis too, Auria too. Cannot found it in AEM and nTrack studio

• So here's my current appstore FF game theory strategy....

If you do plan on getting the bundle. Instead of the bundle, buy the apps at full price of the ones you think you might want to upgrade in the future. For me that's Pro-R, Pro Q-3 and Pro-L2. Then, complete the bundle. so by the time Pro-Q4 L3 R2 comes around upgrade bundles will work for them and I'd get good upgrade options for those.

I'd recommend doing this even if you plan to buy the bundle in one go because otherwise individual upgrades will be spread across all apps with the appstore logic. Plan carefully B)

• Got a reply from FabFilter support:

Thank you for your interest in our plug-ins. Unfortunately, sjidechaining is not supported yet in any host on iOS. I know there are some companies working on implementing this, but right now its not supported yet.

• edited June 2019

@Carnbot said:
    So here's my current appstore FF game theory strategy....

If you do plan on getting the bundle. Instead of the bundle, buy the apps at full price of the ones you think you might want to upgrade in the future. For me that's Pro-R, Pro Q-3 and Pro-L2. Then, complete the bundle. so by the time Pro-Q4 L3 R2 comes around upgrade bundles will work for them and I'd get good upgrade options for those.

I'd recommend doing this even if you plan to buy the bundle in one go because otherwise individual upgrades will be spread across all apps with the appstore logic. Plan carefully B)

One thing I've learnt recently (when the FAC bundle got updated) is that apps purchased as part of a bundle do not not apply any discount to other bundles those apps are contained within.

For example.. if you buy Pro-Q3 as part of the Q2 > Q3 upgrade bundle you will not get any discount applied to the the full Fabfilter bundle... even though you own Pro-Q3 and paid somewhere between $15-25 for it.

For this reason, I agree with @Carnbot that it's better to buy your favourite apps from the Fabfilter bundle for their full individual price, and gradually chip away at the cost of completing the bundle (which by that stage will probably just contain the apps you are less interested in, such as Gate/DeEsser).

In the future, if Fabfilter release bundle upgrades for other individual plugins (L2 > L3 or C2 > C3, perhaps?) you should hopefully be entitled to a good discount since you bought the originals full price - instead of as part of a bundle!

• The Q3 state restore bug was also confirmed by FF support:

We're working on a fix for this which will be released on a very short notice. For now, just click and change any parameter, then click undo.

• @mojozart said:
    The Q3 state restore bug was also confirmed by FF support:

We're working on a fix for this which will be released on a very short notice. For now, just click and change any parameter, then click undo.

Oh good good. I had a crash this morning and forgot about the bug. When I reloaded my session I had a half minute where i thought "man I must be slippin i thought this crap beat actually sounded good!".. duh

• @Carnbot said:

Brilliant. I didn't think about future updates in my plan and I lost money to boot. But I did it to test the theory of using the Q2 to Q3 update. Cost me but good to have some fool test it. I won't ask for the refund to insure I maintain the right status for Q3 with iTunes. My purchase history at this point doesn't even list the Update buy. Just the Apps as being purchased. My credit card does have the update charge however. I don't begrudge FF from trying to maintain the value of their brand as a Pro level toolset. I'm sure they had some debates internally about the message this sends.

Wait for the IOS horde to show up on their Forum for example. Many have asking about potential Auria Pro FF to FF AU discounts which FF is saying would be difficult to add to the iTune Store.

I hope this doesn't go the way of the Propellerheads attempt to "conquer" IOS. They made their first product FREE and still
    got cut off at the knees for not really competing but trying to use old techniques for a new market. FREE with IAP's is really a great model in my opinion. I tend to spend more when I fall into one like ToneStack GO. I bought every IAP in ToneStack at the end when they offered 505 off the whole enchilada.

FF should offer "Saturn" as free with IAP's to monetize IOS effectively. They won't. Too non-Pro.

• @McD said:

@Carnbot said:

Brilliant. I didn't think about future updates in my plan and I lost money to boot. But I did it to test the theory of using the Q2 to Q3 update. Cost me but good to have some fool test it. I won't ask for the refund to insure I maintain the right status for Q3 with iTunes. My purchase history at this point doesn't even list the Update buy. Just the Apps as being purchased. My credit card does have the update charge however. I don't begrudge FF from trying to maintain the value of their brand as a Pro level toolset. I'm sure they had some debates internally about the message this sends.

Wait for the IOS horde to show up on their Forum for example. Many have asking about potential Auria Pro FF to FF AU discounts which FF is saying would be difficult to add to the iTune Store.

I hope this doesn't go the way of the Propellerheads attempt to "conquer" IOS. They made their first product FREE and still
    got cut off at the knees for not really competing but trying to use old techniques for a new market. FREE with IAP's is really a great model in my opinion. I tend to spend more when I fall into one like ToneStack GO. I bought every IAP in ToneStack at the end when they offered 505 off the whole enchilada.

FF should offer "Saturn" as free with IAP's to monetize IOS effectively. They won't. Too non-Pro.

You’d be well within your rights to return the upgrade and it can’t stop Q3 from working because you’ve bought the bundle, any problems and Apple would be on your side anyway with that I’m sure. :)

• @Carnbot said:
    You’d be well within your rights to return the upgrade and it can’t stop Q3 from working because you’ve bought the bundle, any problems and Apple would be on your side anyway with that I’m sure. :)

I have asked for a refund before by using my purchase history and use the "Report a Problem", as I recall. Since the Upgrade Purchase isn't in my purchase history I need another route to request the refund. I'm just the poster boy for don't buy the Upgrade to save the most money. Only if you just want Q3. Many Pro's only use the EQ and get their other FX from other vendors that we don't have yet. Like Valhallah, SSL, etc. If FF makes a lot of money... maybe we see more ports to IOS.

Logic Pro IOS would help seed the market.

• @McD said:
    Someone named "Marco" has posted the question on the Fab Filter Forum (F3?):

Hi there! I bought proC-2 for IOS mainly because it advertised sidechaining. Now, how am I supposed to make it work? All the tutorials use desktop apps as examples, on IOS I don’t see how I can route the sc signal to the main track. Is this supposed to work in AUM or do I have to use a daw like Cubasis or bm3?
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

And another User named "Frederik Slijkerman" has replied with the #1 answer:

At the moment I'm not aware of any AUv3 host that actually supports side chains. We heard from the AUM developers that they are working on it though.

I would prefer AUM adapt to work with the FF Plug-ins and that they not hack up the IOS instances with shared memory and the requirement to use or generate a sample accurate clock like the dev of WoodPressor had to do. Initially you had to hit the Transport in AUM to get WoodPressor to side-chain and folks complained so he had to add a clock mechanism so it would side chain without forcing AUM to "start".

I suspect FF wants to keep the code base as similar as possible between the 6 platforms working now and not create hacks that make it unstable in IOS DAWs. I also trust @j_liljedahl to get it right. Every DAW adding side-bussing will take a few years.
    But making AUv3 accept multiple inputs might also break a lot of AUv3's so life continues to be interesting here in Toy Land.

I'll stick with FAC Envolver for the short term or side-chain with WoodPressor or 4 Pockets.

UPDATE: Fab Filter support sent me a reply:

Unfortunately, it seems there are no hosts on iOS at this point that support sjidechaining. We offer a side chain input to the host, but it seems the implementation of iOS hosts and side chaining is not up-to-par yet...

(Is it just me or is the letter "j" popping up in unexpected places lately?
    @j_liljedahl
    "Frederik Slijkerman"
    sjidechaining

"Winter is coming to IOS." yjes! cool bjeans! top jyob!

OT: HBO cancelled "Games og Thrones" just when it "GOT" good. John Snow was re-united with his dog and went north for
    a better wife. Boy meets dog, boy looses dog, boy gets dog. Classic story ARC. Only took ten years to pay off. Hopefully,
    GRR Martin has "Ghost" (John's Direwolf) have puppies for the boys in the bunkhouse to have a dog too.

• @McD :D :D :D GOT story arc :# :# :#

• @McD said:
    OT: HBO cancelled "Games of Thrones" just when it "GOT" good.

Seriously, packing the Wall with Direwolves is perfect for a sequel.

Then seeing one dire wolf get the "King of the Dead" corneal replacement surgery and
    thus starting the pack of "White Howlers".

'The Children" do the job because they hate fleas and want to wipe Direwolves off the wall.
    So, the Direwolves hunt the Children pulling the aging John Snow (who baloons to over 300 lbs)
    on a sled. John uses his ability to die and resurrect about once every series. He resurrects into a new
    actor like Dr. Who. Cool, huh?

Use a whole new creative team from Animal Planet. Give the wolves voice-overs using
    animal activist actors:

"A Game of Wolfpacks - a Dance of Fleas and Scat"
    (always go for the poop joke to close the set).

• @McD said:
    I suspect FF wants to keep the code base as similar as possible between the 6 platforms working now and not create hacks that make it unstable in IOS DAWs.

I wonder what kind of trick are they using for sharing Pro-Q 3 displays across different instances though

• Whoot ProQ3 got the update

• @AudioGus said:
    Whoot ProQ3 got the update

FYI: It still crashes MIDI Guitar 2 after getting the Pro-Q3 Update today. Just checking and it's only patched for AUM Presets
    loading I think.

• edited June 2019

@McD said:

@AudioGus said:
    Whoot ProQ3 got the update

FYI: It still crashes MIDI Guitar 2 after getting the Pro-Q3 Update today. Just checking and it's only patched for AUM Presets
    loading I think.

Looks like this one should apply for all AUv3 hosts. Fixed in BM3.

• Loading up old projects, deleting all of the old reverbs, limiters and compressors etc and replacing them with FABs has completely... words fail...

Gobsmacked. Blown Away. Game Changed. Fashizzled.

• @AudioGus said:
    Loading up old projects, deleting all of the old reverbs, limiters and compressors etc and replacing them with FABs has completely... words fail...

Gobsmacked. Blown Away. Game Changed. Fashizzled.

Show off !! :p :D