Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New FabFilter apps

Comments

• edited June 2019

@MrBlaschke said:

Could anyone try sidechaining on the latest Q3 on iOS? Please, with a big smile :smile:
    Is that the only "blind" button that is left in from porting to iOS?

If You mean External Spectrum Visualization: Yes, that works fine in Q3. You can see the signals from the other Q3-instances.

• @Satie said:

@MrBlaschke said:

Could anyone try sidechaining on the latest Q3 on iOS? Please, with a big smile :smile:
    Is that the only "blind" button that is left in from porting to iOS?

If You mean External Spectrum Visualization: Yes, that works fine in Q3. You can see the signals from the other Q3-instances.

Hi @Satie
    Nope - i dont mean that. That got confirmed earlier in the thread already.
    Maybe that is SC as close as it will get inside fabfilter on iOS ... at least atm.
    But thanks for responding! :smile:

• I went to their Forum and they have an access model based upon them creating an Account after you have purchased (and probably registered) a Plug-In. IOS purchases from the iTunes Store doesn't fit this model for new accounts.

I have sent an email to [email protected] to see if they can adapt the process to give us access to ask questions.

No one has asked for IOS Side-Chaining details.

I considered buying an OS X Plug-in but choked on the prices. They ask for a premium on IOS against a lot of $10 apps as competition and they also ask for a premium on the Desktop
    against a lot of $50-99 Plug-ins. So, Saturn on OS X sells for $154. About the cost of all IOS AUv3 apps in the Pro Bundle + Q2 added in.

The EQ Plug-ins seem to be the must have Pro Studio plug-ins. Q2 getting the update to Q3 shows it's priority for pulling in more revenue with more development investment.

Pro-Q 3 for sells for $179. There's a educational discount (students/teachers) of 50% off.
    You get downloads for 32, 64-bit Windows and OS X Plug-ins.

Then the relevant DAW's to use the plug-ins cost $200-1,000.

"Are you a Pro? No. I just play one on an iPad."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • McDMcD
    edited June 2019

This is how 4Pockets describes their Side-Chaining implementation.

The latest version has a new experimental sidechain option which allows you to host two instances of the same plugin and use one to push audio through one of 3 busses which others can use those busses as input for the compressor. This allows you to get that 'Trance' like pumping action going on. This has been tested in AUM, Cubasis and GarageBand although it may not work in all DAW's. It is possible for instance to place a compressor on a bass drum and push audio to Bus 1, then have several other tracks taking input from Bus 1 allowing the volume of the bass drum to attenuate their respective tracks. Default compressor functionality is disabled when used as a side-chain source in this way.

I think WoodPressor uses a similar WP AUv3 to WP AUv3 "private" bussing scheme.

Notice the "experimental" label (hedging against changes in IOS or some DAW's maybe).
    They also hedge on all DAW's just working.

I'm hoping they put the Int/Ext Sidechain controls in there for a valid reason and we just need some instructions or someone to test and slip the Forum a clue on the right GUI settings to see the Compressed channel "dance" to an external Drum or Bass app.

Here's how FAC Envolver suggests using it to have a side-chain effect using it's Envelope Follower capability:

Getting ducking or sidechain effect. The trick is to invert the envelope and map it to a VCA receiver. Whenever an input signal is present, the envelope is generated and the sound controlled by the VCA is attenuated accordingly. The advantage is that we don’t need to sync anything as the follower will output what it receives. Have a look at the "sidechain" preset and use it as template, or see the provided demo video. Note that it's very important to set the gain of the input signal by setting properly the input gain parameter provided. Use the waveform viewer provided to have an idea of the current level. Oh yes FAC Maxima will be the perfect companion tool for this task!

Controlling the filter. Map the envelope to the cutoff of your filter, increase the resonance to your taste. As you play your instrument, the cutoff will increase or decrease accordingly. The trick is to adjust the depth, and if you have AUM, the range of the controlled parameter as well. This video provides a quick overview about the fx demo video.

• I thought SC to work within Auria Pro.
    If that's true, maybe the AU versions also work within AP in regards to SC?
    Just an idea

• @tja said:
    I thought SC to work within Auria Pro.
    If that's true, maybe the AU versions also work within AP in regards to SC?
    Just an idea

The native versions of the plugins support sidechaining, however AFAIK the AUv3 versions don't.

• As far as I know the technology is there to support AUv3 side chaining but the hosts need to implement it first, and not sure if any hosts have yet, so maybe it’s there in Fabfilter AU’s but hidden.

Are there any AUs with sidechaining/multi inputs working in any host yet?

• @Carnbot said:

From what I know most AUv3's that currently do 'side-chaining' used shared memory that can cause potential memory-leaks.
    I'm skeptic towards using 'hacks' to accomplish things so it's likely just a matter of time before Apple 'patches' it.

As for hosts that properly support multi-channel AUv3 with flexible routing I've seen none so far.

Who knows maybe Apples own GarageBand will be the first hows with proper multi-channel AUv3 support but I'm skeptical towards that idea too :)

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

From what I know most AUv3's that currently do 'side-chaining' used shared memory that can cause potential memory-leaks.
    I'm skeptic towards using 'hacks' to accomplish things so it's likely just a matter of time before Apple 'patches' it.

As for hosts that properly support multi-channel AUv3 with flexible routing I've seen none so far.

Who knows maybe Apples own GarageBand will be the first hows with proper multi-channel AUv3 support but I'm skeptical towards that idea too :)

Yeah I just think it's a matter of time and Fabfilter (and others) are waiting on Apple.
    Multi AU output too is to be added :)

• @Carnbot said:

Yeah I just think it's a matter of time and Fabfilter (and others) are waiting on Apple.
    Multi AU output too is to be added :)

Yepp, and that requires a host that supports all those features too :)

I do hope that once iPadOS/iOS13 starts to near public release we'll start to see some interesting things pop up.
    Personally I'm still a bit bummed that the 11" iPadPro and NO BlueTooth is not viable an option here.

The new iPad Air has a headphone jack but the Lightning Port has capped power output for external drive support and will thus require a powered USB-Hub...

And Regarding the FabFilters app (to bring this back on topic)...
    ...My current iPad Air 2 would most likely not be able to run that many instances anyway so in order to take maximum advantage of them I would need a new iPad too...

Time will tell if iPadOS can replace my MacBook Air for what I need to be able to do...
    (Renoise for iOS would be a dream but...).

• Wondering about the Reverb. Is it the one to rule them all?

• @Zaubrer said:
    Wondering about the Reverb. Is it the one to rule them all?

I think so

• After buying FF plugins for Windows, of course it bothers me that I have to spend more money to use them on iOS. I like the Stagelight store model, where they use a shared (Microsoft) account across all devices so that IAP's apply everywhere and store credits can be used on any platform.

• If FF did similar to Stagelight then the apps would be the same as desktop prices. Stagelight already had a low price on desktop so you can't make this comparison. We're finally getting desktop developers to recognize iOS, this is big and I'm with it so if I have to buy it again for way less than the desktop price I'm ok with. The bundle price is way less than most pay for desktop software not counting paid upgrades every couple years.

• @hansjbs said:
    If FF did similar to Stagelight then the apps would be the same as desktop prices. Stagelight already had a low price on desktop so you can't make this comparison. We're finally getting desktop developers to recognize iOS, this is big and I'm with it so if I have to buy it again for way less than the desktop price I'm ok with. The bundle price is way less than most pay for desktop software not counting paid upgrades every couple years.

The C 2 alone more than made up for the cost of the whole bundle this weekend. It surpassed my expectations

• Yeah I know that the apps are good value on iOS.....

...But in truth I'd prefer to buy them on desktop at full price for them to work across multiple platforms. This high price is much better justified. Plus they're guaranteed as plugins to work for decades (even if they stopped working on iOS they would work on desktop platforms, you can downgrade OS easily etc.
    On iOs Apple don't let you have the same control so the plugins are less valueable as licenses, hence low cost apps.

I wonder if Fabfilter should look into this Stagelight system. :)

• The full FF Bundle is mainly for mastering purposes, isn’t it?
    Sorry for this question but I’m not a sound engineer, so I think I probably don’t need all the tools until I’m going to master my music by my self?

I’m mainly interested in the Reverb and the EQ for generell use.
    So It would be a good idea to upgrade the EQ for 17€ and buy the PRo-R separately to save money or you would go for the whole Pro-Bundle because it’s nice to have them all?

😊

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@palm said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@dendy said:
    I really like pricing - hope it inspires also other big players (like NI) - higher prices on iOS are good thing !

They are?

For who?

Maybe the developers? People gotta eat, you know?

These are some of the finest plugins on the planet. I think the prices are beyond fair. Everybody wants the good plugins on ios, but then there's a collective moaning when it comes time to pay for them.

if you're a hobbyist or a dabbler these may seem a bit steep. But with a little perspective (FF plugins are a pretty much a professional standard for most audiowork) one sees how absolutely reasonable the price is.

I agree with @dendy on this one. It would help balance the scales a bit. I welcome the heavyweights and I think part of the reason we don't see more of them is that people seem to expect all apps to = the price of a coffee. This keeps serious developers from entering the fray, and perpetuates the sense that iOS is just a collection of toys, rather than a potential platform for serious production.

the expectation that we can pay a few dollars for an app and expect it to be updated forever... if I was a developer I'd certainly try to steer clear of that model, especially for a suite of apps as niche as this. Obviously subscription isn't the solution we want.. so I will happily pay the price for these wonderful tools. :)

So, are you aware many developers not eating?

I would love to help who ever needs it.

I guess I don’t perceive fab filter a struggling developer with clothes from a thrift store sitting in a dark room with only a candle and a MacBook with some rations of some dollar store pantry.....

I also think you make some interesting points but they sort of are really a bit myopic and presumptive for me.

You assume they will deliver the same product quality as the programs proper.

You assume a lot about people who question what can be seen as the most expensive group of apps ever released as some how lacking music production experience.

In fact, I think a keen eye and perspective would be right to be weary with iOS and its ever changing landscape.

There is also this, a level minded person would be crazy not to want a thorough honest look at what these things actually do before buying or praising them.

Seems to make sense to discuss the value of the purchase prior to the purchase while many seem to side with a company before having any facts on the performance of these apps on iOS compared to predecessors on computers.

The rationale and thought in my post was mainly to do with the ease and common multi hybrid set ups and iOS originality.

I would like to have seen this:

A product from FAB with some unique iOS performance aspects and GUI.

I am not wowed by the same products I have(yes I have them for my MacBook, not a dabbler) just put on iOS.

iOS for me was supposed to be a new medium and way to make music.

Not merely a touch screen replica of what I have or a person can get on a computer.

Animoog SAMPLr - I look at the originality of the platform as its value.

That said, I will eagerly await some technical analysis of the apps comparable to like apps.

I don’t need iOS versions for things on the iPad is sort of my perspective.

I did forget ....... it’s web.

Everyone is an amazing professional music maker
    Everyone is rich
    Every one is everything....except real

Many big mouths as usual defending companies and spending more money.

Wow.

Suckers.

I appreciate you opinion for real though.

My first instinct is to just buy them, they're FF after all, but you're absolutely right, a more 'relaxed' attitude to that purchase is needed due to the outlay involved...so yes some comparisons between Desktop and iOS would be nice, to see that we are actually getting the bang for buck that these initially seem to offer.

Thanks for the reminder :)

My first instinct is that I need to buy food first, but then the rest of @RUST( i )K words are not overly helpful to myself. Why? Because I need the early adopters to buy, test and send any bug reports, while I save up to buy them! That’s why God created ‘early adopters’, so that peeps like me can have others take all the risks first :D :p

Oh well I will get them for you and help out...😉

• @Zaubrer said:

It is the first iOS reverb where I can use it to really place sounds in the space / mix and not just add another effect that clutters things. I guess this is what they call 'transparent'...(?)

• @chandroji said:
    The full FF Bundle is mainly for mastering purposes, isn’t it?
    Sorry for this question but I’m not a sound engineer, so I think I probably don’t need all the tools until I’m going to master my music by my self?

I’m mainly interested in the Reverb and the EQ for generell use.
    So It would be a good idea to upgrade the EQ for 17€ and buy the PRo-R separately to save money or you would go for the whole Pro-Bundle because it’s nice to have them all?

😊

These fall into the category of "if you don't know why you'd need them, you probably don't (yet)."

• I think you nailed it @espiegel123 , thank you!

In this case I may need also to overthink my interest for Pro-Q3 because I’m quite happy with Q2. I really don’t know I would ever use the additional functionality in the new version... 😎

• @Carnbot said:
    Yeah I know that the apps are good value on iOS.....

...But in truth I'd prefer to buy them on desktop at full price for them to work across multiple platforms. This high price is much better justified. Plus they're guaranteed as plugins to work for decades (even if they stopped working on iOS they would work on desktop platforms, you can downgrade OS easily etc.
    On iOs Apple don't let you have the same control so the plugins are less valueable as licenses, hence low cost apps.

I wonder if Fabfilter should look into this Stagelight system. :)

Yah this could all get Alchemied one way or another. I see iOS as renting/education/therapy. Maybe one day my life won't revolve around work and commuting and dedicated desktop at home will make sense. How long do mortgages live?

• @AudioGus said:

@Zaubrer said:

It is the first iOS reverb where I can use it to really place sounds in the space / mix and not just add another effect that clutters things. I guess this is what they call 'transparent'...(?)

This is something I struggle with at the moment on iOS, perhaps Pro-R should be my first purchase from these (already got Pro-Q2), if it doesn't work for me I'll send the Mrs round for a refund :D

• @McD said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Thanks for all the testing.

Thank you for reminding me to open MIDI Guitar. I forgot how much fun it is to change the MIDI controller for a new App like Pure Synth Platinum. Then adding Pro-R to the fun. We have some amazing
    capabilities now in IOS that are pretty solid. Too bad about the Q's but Blue Mangoo Parametric is a decent substitute or running MIDI Guitar in AUM and EQ'ing just before or after in a channel.

What have you been using for EQ while you wait for a fix?

I’ve pretty much been using the stock EQ that MG2 gives you. It’s been ok for my needs. It would be nice to take it up a few notches if they do come up with a fix.
    I’ve been having mixed results using Midi Guitar with AUM. A lot of crashes. It’s been safer for me to use it as a stand alone.
    I am looking forward to trying Pro R with it, though. Thanks again for checking!

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

@Zaubrer said:

This is something I struggle with at the moment on iOS, perhaps Pro-R should be my first purchase from these (already got Pro-Q2), if it doesn't work for me I'll send the Mrs round for a refund :D

Pro-R will really get you to the finish line on iOS. Reverbs were something I really struggled with on iOS for a long time. Pro-R Is a desktop class Reverb and you can Really make it your own. If I owned (which I do) q2 and a lot of compressors, on iOS my 2 priorities would be a good reverb pro-r and a good limiter pro-r followed by either mb/c2 (probably mb)

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

@Zaubrer said:

Pro-R will really get you to the finish line on iOS. Reverbs were something I really struggled with on iOS for a long time. Pro-R Is a desktop class Reverb and you can Really make it your own. If I owned (which I do) q2 and a lot of compressors, on iOS my 2 priorities would be a good reverb pro-r and a good limiter pro-r followed by either mb/c2 (probably mb)

Thanks...yeah I have a few compressors, sounds like a sensible way to progress :smile:
    I've added you to the Mrs 'visit' list, just in case :D :D

• edited June 2019

Here's a question....

Which of the iOS DAWs/hosts currently support automation of insert and send AUv3 effects?

@dendy - do you know if this (^^ see above) is possible in NS2?

• @tk32 said:
    Here's a question....

Which of the iOS DAWs/hosts currently support automation of insert and send AUv3 effects?

Automating the AUv3 effects works fine in Cubasis at least. Just tap the W and tweak away.

• Fab Filter doesn't have a process to add IOS Users to the Forum with automated accounts.
    IOS Buyers (or anyone) can read the Forum but not be given an Account yet.

So, can someone that has a Desktop Plug-In and an account ask the questions about
    how to implement Side-Chaining in IOS?