Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What wrong with all DAWs/Apps on iOS?

Comments

• Waitaminute I thought Cubasis had a cupholder..

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Waitaminute I thought Cubasis had a cupholder..

coming in 2.9 :)

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@NoiseHorse said:

No, dummy. That’s a CD player.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

B) > @DCJ said:

@Rodolfo said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Maybe the better question is why do people imagine that for $5 to $50 that they will get something as deeply tested and fine-tuned as a $500 - $1000 app that has been in constant development for 20 years.

@wim said:
    Seriously, though. This is the real answer to the OP’s question.

You’ve eally got a point @espiegel123 @wim
    Totally agree

That definitely settles it. This thread is officially closed. 🔨🔨🔨

Shouldn’t be. B) :)

Even though the economics are the reality, it’s still good to get the feedback out there. I’m sure a lot of developers aren’t active musicians, or at least don’t spend as much time trying to do as many different things as non-programmers musicians do. So, it’s natural that they might not have ever thought things that we think are glaring omissions were important.

You never know when one might be reading and going “Well hell, that wouldn’t be so hard to do. Why didn’t I think of that?”.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Of course I kid. I have never been one to stifle a healthy dialogue.

• Sunvox.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@syrupcore said:
    +1 to "use what you've got".

Just think of how many gazillion great records were made on 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8 track tape machines! Or a couple of synths, a drum machine and a sampler with a floppy drive. You can do it! And do it with Garageband on your old phone if'n you want.

Yeah but just think how much of a nightmare it would have been for the Beatles to make Sgt.Pepper with only the exact same ‘tool set’ of gear and instruments and musicians as they had to hand for Love Me do. Maybe ‘possible’ but doubtful they would have had the patience/time/enthusiasm to see it through...and that’s a band of top notch musicians in a studio recording often well ‘rehearsed’ material....tools become exponentially more important if you’re a solo artist in a bedroom. Especially if available time is limited.

As soon as someone is aware of and/or have grown used to ‘what’s available’, it’s natural to want to reach for those ideal tools during the creative process instead of compromise or slow/fiddly/lesser alternatives. It also makes it more realistic to be able to push your work to the same standards/intricacy etc as your peers without spending five times as long to achieve the same result... it depends what people are making tho really.... A 4-track cassette and an acoustic guitar will be ideal for one person but create an impossible task for another.

These conversations always go off track from people seeming to almost take offence from someone else saying that something just doesn’t cut it for them compared to alternatives, and subsequently assuming that they aren’t making the best of Their available options already ;)

These kinds of conversations often aren’t about ‘oh no, things aren’t ideal, I quit music!’.... more like ‘wouldn’t it be nice!’ -

I'm all for pushing stuff forward. To be clear, my reply was meant to inspire the OP, not troll.

• @NoiseHorse said:

I thought it was a plant pot stand.

• @RevenantX said:
    Why all ios DAWs have some epic fails that kills almost all sense of making jams/music using ipad?
    For example:

Beatmaker 3: no track freeze (only in epic long way) (many AUv3 synths/effect very heavy so track freeze is must have feature)

Cubasis 2: cannot stretch clips to loop them (basic feature in almost all DAWs on pc) (no clip launcher but for Cubase/Cubasis this is ok)

Stagelight 4: Almost ideal DAW but midi with AUv3 skip some notes and hang some (unusable for now at all), and we waiting for fix 3 months already

Korg Gadget 2: Good DAW. But no support of AUv3, Cannot record audio from Audiobus, No send tracks with effects (only inserts that stacks and create mud and mess)

ModStep: good daw, but no good audio recording, track freeze and seems that it abandoned.

AUM: no integrated looper (you can record and reimport but this breaks all inspiration)

Many loopers (like quantiloop): limited track numbers (seriously? on ipad with mega processor that can handle tons of cool games)

Many grooveboxes: limited number of bars (from 4 to 8 maximum). No support of AUv3 in many apps.

So for now for music sketching/jam best things:
    Korg Gadget 2 and AUM + Enso looper + some sequencers like ATOM Piano roll.

For me as Bitwig user - clip launcher is the best thing for creativity. But for now there is no DAWs that work good in that way (there is some but without AUv3 support).
    I don't see any sense in full music production on ipad i have pc for this thing.
    I use ipad as portable sketch/inspiration device (as most of users here i think). And this is very uncomfortable for now.

Is that so hard to create DAW with:
    -Live looping (clips like in bitwig/ableton)
    -Clip/track freeze (to reduce CPU usage)
    -AUv3 support
    -Unlimited number of tracks (that limited only to your CPU)
    Close to this only Stagelight that i hope will be fixed in near future.

FYI in stagelight, if you’re having this problem, switch off ‘force 44.1k’ in the settings and freeze the track, then switch force 44.1k back on. It’s not a great workaround by any means, but it works for now.

• I had a real shit time with iOS and trying to do DAW things.

I think that will improve with the new OS but it's been something to avoid for me. I look at iOS like a do everything fx/sequencer/looper/synth thing that can also do basic multitrack recording. A one stop production shop like a laptop running Ableton it is not.

BM3 is built on top of an app burial ground. There are too many ghosts in that app, it's like the Overlook Hotel of iOS.

• It took me over 5 years and 13.5k visits to this site to build my dream set up.

Just saying.

• @supadom said:
    It took me over 5 years and 13.5k visits to this site to build my dream set up.

Just saying.

I feel like I'm dreaming... does that count?

• @AudioGus said:

@supadom said:
    It took me over 5 years and 13.5k visits to this site to build my dream set up.

Just saying.

I feel like I'm dreaming... does that count?

IOS devices never work for me in dreams. In fact, nothing electronic does. I managed to turn on a light switch once, but that’s about it.

• edited June 2019

I think making music on tablet-computers seems like a matter of an ergonomic inevitability.

I can't imagine the capability for making music on iOS doing anything but progressing as the capabilities of tablet computers approach parity with desktops.

The portable tablet concept will always be a different ergonomic experience than the desktop. But what "can" happen, is the tablet "can" feasibly replace the physical desktop hardware, and operate in a duel role capacity.

And given the nature of the changes that Apple is currently introducing in iPadOS, it might seem that Apple is headed in that direction.

I think the driving force behind this change is about enabling people with the potential to be creative while being on the move. The tablet becomes the mobile means of interfacing with "computer tools". The cloud becomes the electronic "safe place" for all that is created. When the user once again has access to the large monitor and peripherals at a "desktop" location. The tablet takes the place of the desktop hardware through connectivity, and enables the use a broader variety of interface peripherals.

The current state of iOS music creation tools, is simply a reflection of the intended use and interface capacity of iOS devices. Developers don't build in the full gamut of desktop capabilities, because iOS has only been a mobile platform.

It looks like that might change in the foreseeable future.

In the interim, "it is what it is". But I'd rather have "any" ability to make music using a variety of affordable and good sounding instruments literally within an arms reach when creativity strikes, than be reliant on mustering up creativity in some predetermined location where all the stationary tools are kept.

• The only thing iPad and Desktop applications have in common are "plug-ins".

A good Desktop DAW has so much more capability than anything on IOS.

But for creative "concept" apps at a really great price you can't beat the iPad.

If you're empowered and happy with desktop tools then IOS can be a real disappointment
    unless you are seeking battery-powered mobility... then you might get it.

Chris Randall of Audio Damage explained the economics and history of making money from plug-ins
    on a podcast:

He and started in 2002 and it took 4 years to have a business that paid for itself.

Chris and Adam Schabtach can sell plug-ins on Desktops for ~$50+.
    They sell IOS apps for $5-6 and sells 8 times as many.
    They code in Juce and C++ for about 10 plaltforms with the same DSP code and similar Juce-based GUI's.

Why not sell the IOS Apps for more? They learned that lower prices dramatically improve total sales.
    Finding the sweet spot in the demand curves to pull the most profit from the market. With 2 similar apps the lower cost app outsells the other.

If we're lucky FabFilter will figure this out and drop their price and get more yield from their efforts.
    One can only wait and hope. I know there are maybe 30 here that will buy everything they ship at $30
    while the other 100-300 will wait for a big sale to indulge.

• @McD : the sweet spot on the pricing curve is not going to be the same for all apps even in what might seem to be similar niches. So, what is right for the AudioDamage plugins might not be right for FabFilter plug-ins.

The FabFilter folks may in fact have figured some things out.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @McD : the sweet spot on the pricing curve is not going to be the same for all apps even in what might seem to be similar niches.

I'll bet the curves are a lot closer than not. They probably got a huge burst of sales with their recent 50% off sale on Pro Q2. I'm sure most have purchased their Auria Pro plug-ins when they go on sale.

Well, I hope they ship more AUv3's soon and I'll wait for a sale and load up.

• @SlowwFloww said:
    No app is perfect... Use some apps in tandem to get what you want... I know a lot of producers who make cool music with apps like Caustic, nanoloop.. And if they can do it then I'll have to try to get to their level, at least it can be done with those apps...
    I'm happy I've got all these powerful music apps on a device the size of an A4 sheet of paper...

+1

• Kudos that this thread is so fairminded. Feels like the audiob.us Bar Mitzvah party. Maybe I can change that!

1. I find my iPads make very nice coasters. If I launch Cubasis and put my coffee on it does that count?
    2. I am totally satisfied with making music on iOS but my only interest is getting my stuff down and making it sound as good as I can, which seems to be improving slowly. Frankly, it is my ears that need to get better way more than my DAW.
    3. I judge my success by my output. Over a hundred tracks in 14 months. Are they perfect? Yes and no. No in that they can always be better. And, I imagine I would feel the same with desktop.
      Are they listenable and enjoyable to those who like such stuff? For the most part, yes, I think.
    4. Is desktop more fully featured with higher quality instruments? Of course. But it stuck in my mind when @AudioGus said maybe iOS instruments should be called tools (great posts here, btw, Gus). I disagree cause they make a lot of beautiful sounds (much better than my old Baldwin Acrosonic) but I do agree that a great mechanic can do a far superior job with the same tools than a mediocre one. I mean the telephone, radio, lightbulb... what kind of tools created these platform shifting inventions? It is the imagination that creates great music. The tools will always suffice in the right hands... especially if you are talking about art. I mean, like the cave paintings in what's that place.
    5. Desktop and, to a lesser degree, iOS have a vast number of users. The parameters being discussed here are of value to what percentage of those? 1%? Maybe. If you use the criterion of who is better than their tools... probably less. Making iOS apps are pretty unprofitable. If devs satisfy 99% of users with the best DAWs are they not fulfilling the steep requirements for excellence considering the economic model? And Cubasis, in particular, strives to improve and seems to be going as fast as they can with the resources they have. Thank you @LFS!
    6. If desktop works for you than just use it. If you own a Mercedes why complain that there is a market for Hondas? Yes, philosophically it is worth discussing. But practically? Doesn't wash for me. just smacks of me-ism. Sorry OP. No offense meant personally.
    7. It seems the best combination would be to work on desktop and use the iPad as, I suggested,
      a coaster for your fav beverage. Or maybe to put a vase on. You can change the wallpaper to match the flowers. 😘
  • I’d also like to be positive and point out that, not too many years ago, we had some limited options on iOS as to how to create music until someone thought, “Hey, wouldn’t it be great if you could take the sound from one app, send it through another app to add effects, then record that sound in another app?” And a solution was made, to the point that Apple took notice, as did other app developers, to acknowledge the need of music-makers on this platform.

I see developers now looking at user feedback and forums like this one and saying, “Oh, is that a feature you want? What is my app missing? What do users want in a workflow? What sort of plugins are missing in iOS that could be filled by new apps?” And now we see a plethora of options and more innovations coming every day! Maybe at the moment we don’t have full-blown Logic or Ableton or Protools on iOS, but we’ve already come a long way and seen some amazing apps come out of the woodwork.

Not necessarily iOS-related, but remember when Line 6 came out with the Pod? ;)

• edited June 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    Maybe the better question is why do people imagine that for $5 to $50 that they will get something as deeply tested and fine-tuned as a $500 - $1000 app that has been in constant development for 20 years.

Well, that business model worked extremely well for iPhone apps in general.
    We need more iPad musicians o:)

I'd say that while not perfect, the state of things is pretty amazing.

Indeed there's a lot of quality apps to choose from today.

Also, let's pray that devs don't turn our mobile devices into little desktop machines.

If that means adding the functionality but keeping the accessible UI then yes please!

• The biggest problem with iOS and also the Apple ecosystem in general is stability, Apple, consistently over the years, has cared little about this, creating ‘the future’ then unceremoniously dumping it, in the pursuit of ‘the future’.

• I have thirty odd years of experience of using sequencers/DAWs on the Mac. That’s an awful lot of baggage to bring to iOS DAWs.

So it’s unsurprising that for me iPad DAWs are frustrating and limiting to use.

But the apps that use iOS to its strengths are the opposite. They are liberating and fun to use.

I buy lots of apps for iOS. On the Mac I only have Logic now. I haven’t bought any plugins for many years.

My most used computer for making music is my iPhone and is almost always with me. The apps that I use with it are unique to mobile and are powerful and very creative

After a long break (children!) I am making music again due to iOS. Most of the time I spend making music is with my iPhone or iPad.

There is no direct comparison with the way I use my iPhone for music to the way I use my Mac. And when I’m ready to start actually building a ‘proper’ track then all the audio goes over to Logic.

But when the time comes to teach my daughter music production if she’s interested, i will use the iPad not the Mac. iOS is far less intimidating.

• @knewspeak said:
    The biggest problem with iOS and also the Apple ecosystem in general is stability, Apple, consistently over the years, has cared little about this, creating ‘the future’ then unceremoniously dumping it, in the pursuit of ‘the future’.

But these technologies are increasingly ‘in sync’ with their desktop technologies. IAA didn’t exist on MacOS, but AUv3 does. In fact iOS is ahead of desktop when it comes to AUv3 maturity.

• @brambos said:

@knewspeak said:
    The biggest problem with iOS and also the Apple ecosystem in general is stability, Apple, consistently over the years, has cared little about this, creating ‘the future’ then unceremoniously dumping it, in the pursuit of ‘the future’.

But these technologies are increasingly ‘in sync’ with their desktop technologies. IAA didn’t exist on MacOS, but AUv3 does. In fact iOS is ahead of desktop when it comes to AUv3 maturity.

True, but as you state Apple will drop IAA, in effect they don’t build upon ‘the wheel’, they recreate it afresh, with all the pros and cons that creates.