Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What wrong with all DAWs/Apps on iOS?

Comments

• @DCJ said:
    @espiegel123 That was a super useful breakdown. Makes a lot of sense to me.

I think people are underestimating how much marketing can supplant practicality. A lot of people don’t even buy Apple or Android devices because they’re the best thing for them. Very few are researching and comparing specs. If history is any proof, the best most efficient thing doesn’t simply win by being the best and most efficient... if such a thing even exists. The reality as to why things are “succeeding” or “failing” might involve more psychology than we’re willing to admit.

I think this is true of DAWs on iOS-

• edited June 2019

Great info @espiegel123
    people are so entitled that they think everything they want should be the way it is.... There's a lot of intelligence at Apple, Windows.. Maybe in the android dept at Google that's yet to be determined LOL but they deff put thought into it and personally as someone who wants file access I've never been outraged for the way it is... Apple products fkn work and they work cuz of the choices they made... Every windows or Android product I've ever had was full of bugs and problems much deeper than some file access entitlement lol

• Do you have to “eject” drives before unplugging in iPadOS ? Doesn’t seems so.

• @AudioGus said:
    But the world is vast and complex so we are all someones idiot.

most wise words not just in this thread but probably in whole forum !

• edited June 2019

The next year should bring in Sampletank 3 for iOS as well as Cubasis 3.0. Another year or two and we’ll be seeing Stagelight 5. These should all be significant . If Sampletank 3 for iOS is to Sampletank 4 desktop what Syntronik iOS is tonSyntronik desktop , we’ll really have something on our hands here . Not to mention the next iteration of Modstep and Beatmaker ..

• I’m sure I missed a comment somewhere, but Auria does all of the things you talked about. I assume I missed something somewhere because there aren’t exactly a million choices for daws on iOS. Auria ticks every one of those boxes though. AUM is fun for toying around, but Auria is where I do all of my work.

• @reasOne said:
    Great info @espiegel123
    people are so entitled that they think everything they want should be the way it is.... There's a lot of intelligence at Apple, Windows.. Maybe in the android dept at Google that's yet to be determined LOL but they deff put thought into it and personally as someone who wants file access I've never been outraged for the way it is... Apple products fkn work and they work cuz of the choices they made... Every windows or Android product I've ever had was full of bugs and problems much deeper than some file access entitlement lol

All OS’s have bugs Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and guess what, iOS, to suggest just Windows or Android is delusional.

• @knewspeak said:

@reasOne said:
    Great info @espiegel123

All OS’s have bugs Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and guess what, iOS, to suggest just Windows or Android is delusional.

LOL and to think i suggested iOS doesn't have bugs is even more delusional

• @reasOne said:

@knewspeak said:

@reasOne said:
    Great info @espiegel123

“Every windows or Android product I've ever had was full of bugs and problems much deeper than some file access entitlement lol”

You’re closing statement only included two OS’s not all OS’s, your words, your choice, to be selective.

• @knewspeak said:

@reasOne said:

@knewspeak said:

@reasOne said:
    Great info @espiegel123

“Every windows or Android product I've ever had was full of bugs and problems much deeper than some file access entitlement lol”

You’re closing statement only included two OS’s not all OS’s, your words, your choice, to be selective.

How bored are you man lol go to bed

• @knewspeak said:

@reasOne said:

@knewspeak said:

@reasOne said:
    Great info @espiegel123

I would agree with their statement based on my experience. Windows is a whole load of problems and I am glad not to own an android phone anymore.

• @realdawei said:
    Do you have to “eject” drives before unplugging in iPadOS ? Doesn’t seems so.

@realdawei said:

No. No ‘Eject’ required. Just how it should be :-)

• @BroCoast said:

@knewspeak said:

@reasOne said:

@knewspeak said:

@reasOne said:
    Great info @espiegel123

I would agree with their statement based on my experience. Windows is a whole load of problems and I am glad not to own an android phone anymore.

Your experience is valid, yes, I’m not trying to suggest that any OS is perfect, it all depends what it’s purpose and your needs. A simpler system is easier to control than one of more complexity, but as complexity grows so do security and mistakes in that system.

So as iOS become more complex expect more security issues and bugs.

• @klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@realdawei said:

No. No ‘Eject’ required. Just how it should be :-)

Depends how it accesses the data and what data it’s accessing, no eject, seems wrong.

• edited June 2019

@boone51 said:
    I’m sure I missed a comment somewhere, but Auria does all of the things you talked about. I assume I missed something somewhere because there aren’t exactly a million choices for daws on iOS. Auria ticks every one of those boxes though. AUM is fun for toying around, but Auria is where I do all of my work.

Much as I love Auria I think the OP is looking for a clip-launching Ableton style DAW, which Auria definitely isn't. Stagelight and BM3 are probably closer to the mark.

One thing that puzzles me is that people have seemingly been requesting a clip-launching DAW for years, then Stagelight comes along and no-one uses it which seems strange to say the least.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@reasOne said:
    Great info @espiegel123

‘Entitled’ and ‘outraged’ are a little over the top ;) Personally I feel neither of those things and just been emphasising that Apple didn’t expose files system for a long time after competitors did. Didn’t allow expandable storage for a long time after competitors did...and in the meantime it’s resulted in some really bad workflow, awkward 3rd party dev solutions and daily reliance on things like Dropbox, iCloud, itunes etc.. some people apparently think Apple were insightful and forward thinking to do things this way, but I can’t see it myself.. I just see $$$.

Like someone else said, Apples various iterations of ‘the future’ have all fallen short in these areas and have all been too influenced by potential revenue gain/loss, down to them wanting us to use iTunes and iCloud and a million dongles and what not...fees before functionality....

Now finally they’re giving people what they want instead of trying to steer us toward what they’d rather we want. They’re having to do this because of things like Surface, which have suddenly began to make the previous state of iPads look like they’re devices for young kids and the elderly by comparison. Apple want iPad to be ‘pro’. And it simply wasn’t close... files, storage, mouse support etc... These are all being welcomed as good things for iPad but very old news elsewhere...

Just saying it how it is. I’m not being entitled and certainly not outraged ;) I also buy/use other things outside of Apple because of these kinds of omissions and my comparative experience with my iPads over the years has often been a total chore for doing very simple things... that’s not just for ‘production’ and deeper level type stuff.....Basics like Having to import music via iTunes etc, that stuff has affected almost everyone...

iPad is great in many, many ways. But it’s ok for people to say what hasn’t been so great about it for them too..And it’s ok to say that the recent change in gear is probably very much related to the current competition. Doesn’t make someone ‘entitled’. Or outraged.

To be fair I think the only outrage in this thread is from the people defending Apple. Everyone else is just shooting the breeze...

What were the last Windows and Android products you used? If you spend the same money as on a comparable Apple device I’m surprised to hear you’re having issues.

Top level windows and android Devices are very high quality these days and I’ve had no more hardware/software issues with either windows or android than iOS. But obviously if it’s a £300 laptop or a £150 phone then you’re maybe not going to have a great experience..

Apple fans seem to give Apple a free pass on things like the recent audio issues on the pro or whatever model it was, or the battery issues scandal last year on older devices etc..whereas if that stuff was happening on Surface they’d be crucifying Microsoft for it. It’s quite funny really for anyone looking at this stuff without a horse in the race.

A very good rational statement.

• edited June 2019

@RevenantX
    One way to look at iOS DAWs is to consider the device itself as a (modular) DAW. I also wanted a DAW on the iPad that cliplaunched, and did all the rest of what one would want.

For me, BM3 ticks a lot of the boxes but...

Since this is an Audiobus forum, I’m inclined to share an Audiobus solution that does a lot to close the gap between desktop and iOS:
    1. host whatever AUv3s you want in MTS, including Audiolayer, or Reslice or Chamelion if you want to launch audio clips.

I’m saying MTS in this (what became) iOS v laptop thread because MTS is actually a laptop DAW, and projects made in one platform transfers directly to the other, in either direction, with the only real difference being the instruments you can host...

2 host MTS in AB3 Audio page as the receiving input

3 host Genome in AB3 as the sending output (in Audio page. You’ll be using virtual midi rather than AB3 midi.)
    I’m using Genome rather than modstep here because of the virtual midi/AB deal (the Genome dev cleverly added AB before AB had midi and Genome had its own onboard instruments- so that it could sidecar in an AB build for midi sequencing and startstop and record from one screen. I’m sure there’s a way to use modstep but I know Genome best and I recall last time I tried that Genome was more straightforward)

4 control it all from the Genome side, using the AB3 control strip to start stop MTS

(this probably works for other hosts like Cubasis etc, but MTS has what I want including fx sends, along with some other things only MTS has)

The role AB3 plays here is strictly to provide the sidebar controlstrip and an easy way to move between Genome and MTS. Smarter forum members can contribute a more clever use of AB3 in a modular approach like this, but this way seems the most parsimonious. One dedicated app for cliplaunch sequencing, one for all the DAW stuff, and one to provide a shared dashboard

Audiobus preset 'Damp Stomach': http://preset.audiob.us/wPk0bk8QhXSkFaE

• edited June 2019

Oops did I do it again (sink a thread) or maybe the capping post came just ahead of mine... I had nothing to add in terms of the different platforms, OS, brands, storage support etc., I guess because I use all of them (iOS, Android, Windows), and yes sometimes I do wish one had something the other had. Nothing new there, it’s always been rock, paper, scissors with this stuff. Or like when I used to play YuGiOh with my son: it was impossible to build a deck that could beat every other deck

• @richardyot said:

@boone51 said:
    I’m sure I missed a comment somewhere, but Auria does all of the things you talked about. I assume I missed something somewhere because there aren’t exactly a million choices for daws on iOS. Auria ticks every one of those boxes though. AUM is fun for toying around, but Auria is where I do all of my work.

Much as I love Auria I think the OP is looking for a clip-launching Ableton style DAW, which Auria definitely isn't. Stagelight and BM3 are probably closer to the mark.

One thing that puzzles me is that people have seemingly been requesting a clip-launching DAW for years, then Stagelight comes along and no-one uses it which seems strange to say the least.

Yeah I think Stagelight is probably closest to what the OP wants.

If only it's external MIDI out worked and if only it had Ableton Link I would have been using it on my new project. As it is I am having to run two macs with Ableton Live. Tried using Gadget - but it's Zurich audio recording was not working reliably. It's most frustrating to be in the throws of jamming out ideas and it just decides it won't frigging record anything... so.. Hard reboot iPad.. try again.. maybe it works again then for a bit.. maybe not... aaargh!

• @ricksteruk said:

@richardyot said:

@boone51 said:

If only it's external MIDI out worked and if only it had Ableton Link I would have been using it on my new project. As it is I am having to run two macs with Ableton Live. Tried using Gadget - but it's Zurich audio recording was not working reliably. It's most frustrating to be in the throws of jamming out ideas and it just decides it won't frigging record anything... so.. Hard reboot iPad.. try again.. maybe it works again then for a bit.. maybe not... aaargh!

I feel that the issue with Stagelight (my issue anyway) is that it has clip launch but it’s thin on the rest of what one wants- I got into it before it came to iOS and went all in when it did come, but I soon wanted more than the minimum, for example in audio editing, mixology etc. It was designed after all to be easy and approachable, and that it does very well, but we are a demanding bunch around here (that’s the OP wish: desktop soft on iOS)

• edited June 2019

@Littlewoodg said:

@ricksteruk said:

@richardyot said:

@boone51 said:

I feel that the issue with Stagelight (my issue anyway) is that it has clip launch but it’s thin on the rest of what one wants- I got into it before it came to iOS and went all in when it did come, but I soon wanted more than the minimum, for example in audio editing, mixology etc. It was designed after all to be easy and approachable, and that it does very well, but we are a demanding bunch around here (that’s the OP wish: desktop soft on iOS)

I think KRFT was heading in the right direction.. It’s a mystery why they just dropped such a great program..

• edited June 2019

@ricksteruk said:

It's most frustrating to be in the throws of jamming out ideas and it just decides it won't frigging record anything... so.. Hard reboot iPad.. try again.. maybe it works again then for a bit.. maybe not... aaargh!

This is why I've given up recording into iPad DAWs. GarageBand is the same. Between this and the flakey USB-C connection to my mixer, I just can't trust it.

I've switched to a hardware recorder, and now I just arrange in the DAW.

• @mistercharlie said:
    @ricksteruk said:
    It's most frustrating to be in the throws of jamming out ideas and it just decides it won't frigging record anything... so.. Hard reboot iPad.. try again.. maybe it works again then for a bit.. maybe not... aaargh!

This is why I've given up recording into iPad DAWs. GarageBand is the same. Between this and the flakey USB-C connection to my mixer, I just can't trust it.

You know what?
    I keep my old iPad 1 with Cubasis installed sitting in an old Alesis io Dock Just for that purpose: Recording an audio and MIDI track simultaneously and reliably. An iPad 1 can easily be jailbroken and because there are plenty of 3rd party tools available via Cydia, you can hack it to more or less automatically upload the recordings to your "main" iPad.

Other than that, I can't confirm the issues you mentioned except once when I had a faulty iTrack Dock. What hardware do you experience your problems with?

• @rs2000 said:

What hardware do you experience your problems with?

Any. Currently a K-Mix, but really any usb audio interface I have used hasn't kept a reliable connection. This is over several years on multiple iPads. It's not a constant problem. It's intermittent, but common enough to make recording a bit of a lottery.

I wish I hadn't sold my old Zoom R8.

• @mistercharlie said:

@rs2000 said:

What hardware do you experience your problems with?

Any. Currently a K-Mix, but really any usb audio interface I have used hasn't kept a reliable connection. This is over several years on multiple iPads. It's not a constant problem. It's intermittent, but common enough to make recording a bit of a lottery.

I wish I hadn't sold my old Zoom R8.

That sounds a lot like a Lightning connector problem. Make sure it's clean and mechanically fixed during recording.

• I get more work done on iOS than I could on desktop because it’s fun. My needs are pretty simple however.

• I keep picking up Ableton again and being initially like whoa I can do so much with this and then never doing anything with it. My iOS setup is less powerful on paper but damn if I don’t make way more music with it

• @mistercharlie said:
    @ricksteruk said:

I really wish the connections were a bit more solid. Some days my interface will just keep dropping out for no apparent reason. Clean connections and sensible cabling... those dongles are just shit.

• I've been recording stuff constantly on various iPads since 2013, and I've never had any problem with recordings going missing or not happening when they were supposed to, in fact that's the first time I've even heard this issue being mentioned.

I use a Scarlett 2i4 with various mics, a Line 6 Sonic Port, and Shure MV51 and not one of those has failed to record ever.