Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What wrong with all DAWs/Apps on iOS?

Comments

• There's no product that's going to satisfy everyone. Obviously, many of us find ways to use what's available/possible on the iOS platform to make (or help make) our music, sometimes even exclusively with iOS. I think there's enough information out there to make a reasonable assessment before investing in the platform. If you know what you absolutely must have, it's not a secret, and you could always ask other users about such and such before buying.

iOS is relatively new, has some limitations due to the nature of what Apple is selling and to who, and seems to be on shaky ground as far as developers being paid fairly and adequately for their work. So it doesn't offer every possible capability to a niche music-making market. However, the existence of this forum should suggest to anyone that iOS music-making is alive and well as we speak. Sounds like you're one of the users who falls through the cracks and can't quite get what you need, but as long as the platform keeps moving forward, maybe you'll eventually have it. Who knows? This thread could inspire a developer out there somewhere.

• edited June 2019

@dendy said:

Why all ios DAWs have some epic fails that kills almost all sense of making jams/music using ipad?

what brambos said. Use what works for you.

It's very simple. It kills almost all sense for some users - and It totally fulfill all needs of other users. We are different. I'm producing music iOS-only since 2010 or 2011 (don't remember exactly) and don't feel limited in any way. I mean full production, including mastering.

Is that so hard to create DAW with:
    -Live looping (clips like in bitwig/ableton)

You can ask same question on desktop, becasue to my knowledge only DAW on desktop which has Ableton Live style looping is Ableton Live :)) (ok ok, and Bitwing which is basiccally Live from parallel universe with more features a bit different UI, developed by ex-Ableton devs).

Cubasis, Logic, Studio One, Reaper, Pro Tools, Reason - any of then doesn't have kind of "Live Session View". And every one of them DO have some feature which is not present in other competitors. IT's all the time about "find what works for you and stick with it".

Yup, first thing I miss when I occasionally jump back on my beloved and revered Samplitude on desktop is lack of clip launching like in BM3 (which I know was not invented in BM3). The more I learn other tools, even in graphics the more each one has its potentially perceivable ‘shortcomings’.

As Brambos says, just use what you got. Simply getting good at a ‘tool’ (dare we call these instruments?) is what it is all about. I mean have you ever tried to play a guitar? Holding those strings down to select a note? So clunky! They should be spread out along neck individualy! much better!

Still not there Keytar!

• @dendy said:
    @RevenantX

Anyway - i'm expecting HUGE boom of iOS apps market in next 2 years ... Lot lot new people will be attracted as devices are getting more and more powerful and iOS is more and more mature. In my opinion we are right on the edge of exponential market grow, grow which will bring lot more money into this market- which means lot more interest of devs, which means lot more new development.

Maybe it looks like too big optimism, but wait one or two years. If this forum will still exist, you will find this my post and you will reply "yeah, you was true back then" :-)

I'm expecting at least one (if not more) DAW will fulfill all your needs latest in second half of next year ;-)

Hopefully it has realtime swing.

• @skrat there is also Stagelight 4 with similar things (clip launcher, etc) but it has epic bug with midi for now.

• edited June 2019

@RevenantX said:
    Why

Low prices, low budgets, small dev teams etc. Whole platform has a legacy image problem. Ie. only recently started on ipods as toys. The range of min spec to high end devices is also HUGE.

• @spidergod said:
    We need an IOS version of Ableton.

Maybe, but it will probably be a poor experience compared to the desktop version which is why Ableton are quite rightly holding back until the time may be right. :)
    The screen is very small for a full DAW experience to work well.

I think I'd prefer to see Max 8 released for ipad. This fits the experimental modular nature of the platform and would be a great fit. :)

• @RevenantX said:
    Why all ios DAWs have some epic fails that kills almost all sense of making jams/music using ipad?
    For example:

Beatmaker 3: no track freeze (only in epic long way) (many AUv3 synths/effect very heavy so track freeze is must have feature)

Cubasis 2: cannot stretch clips to loop them (basic feature in almost all DAWs on pc) (no clip launcher but for Cubase/Cubasis this is ok)

Stagelight 4: Almost ideal DAW but midi with AUv3 skip some notes and hang some (unusable for now at all), and we waiting for fix 3 months already

Korg Gadget 2: Good DAW. But no support of AUv3, Cannot record audio from Audiobus, No send tracks with effects (only inserts that stacks and create mud and mess)

ModStep: good daw, but no good audio recording, track freeze and seems that it abandoned.

AUM: no integrated looper (you can record and reimport but this breaks all inspiration)

Many loopers (like quantiloop): limited track numbers (seriously? on ipad with mega processor that can handle tons of cool games)

Many grooveboxes: limited number of bars (from 4 to 8 maximum). No support of AUv3 in many apps.

So for now for music sketching/jam best things:
    Korg Gadget 2 and AUM + Enso looper + some sequencers like ATOM Piano roll.

For me as Bitwig user - clip launcher is the best thing for creativity. But for now there is no DAWs that work good in that way (there is some but without AUv3 support).
    I don't see any sense in full music production on ipad i have pc for this thing.
    I use ipad as portable sketch/inspiration device (as most of users here i think). And this is very uncomfortable for now.

Is that so hard to create DAW with:
    -Live looping (clips like in bitwig/ableton)
    -Clip/track freeze (to reduce CPU usage)
    -AUv3 support
    -Unlimited number of tracks (that limited only to your CPU)
    Close to this only Stagelight that i hope will be fixed in near future.

Well, with the pending of iOS 13 (iPadOs).. I do hope we get a port from one of the main PC DAWs... Hopefully FL Studio or Ableton live....
    Yes the IOS Daws all have their shortfalls..

• @RevenantX said:
    @TheDubbyLabby i know that live looping isn't regular DAW feature for DESKTOP daws.
    But portable ipad (without mouse(i know about IOS13) and keyboard hotkeys) - another thing. Look at popularity of Korg Gadget 2 or similar live looping apps. Portable devices with limitations need specific solutions.

Live looping is opposite to linear sequencing and developers usually come from one or other side. Ableton hasn't arrangement view from first (and even until live5?) and similar with other DAWs grow... like protools and midi or Cubase AFAIR...

About looping and clip launching for me GTL is the best of Ableton in iOS. I don't need too much...
    About slicing and clip based music BlocsWave...

so I see iOS as little brother from desktop and I prefer simple and stable apps over too much from desktop... almost until iPadOS brings all necessary including prices.

• And sadly, Roland has virtually zero presence on iOS synth/sequencer/DAW arena for all their great hardware and instruments. Heck, they could create the JD-Xi app with unlimited tracks!

• Coming from cassette thru a Roland VS and Opcode's Vision to Digital Performer, I can't begin to see why folks complain about all the fantastic solutions we have on iOS.

• @brambos said:
    I'm a firm believer in the "work with what you got" adagio. In the 90s I had a only a fraction of what today's software can do and I never felt limited. :)

I totally agree. Some of our favorite albums have been made with way less technology.

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@ecou said:

@brambos said:
    I'm a firm believer in the "work with what you got" adagio. In the 90s I had a only a fraction of what today's software can do and I never felt limited. :)

I totally agree. Some of our favorite albums have been made with way less technology.

Yeah but that’s kind of always been the case with music. It’s never stopped people wanting to improve their available tools and options. Or hire/borrow gear etc... Anything to reduce time/stress spent on the non-creative stuff and/or enable the stuff in their heads to be translated in to music/sound, uncompromised...

I think it’s ok to voice ‘wanting’ things to be better. It rarely signifies that someone isn’t getting on with the options they already have. It’s more often a result of them doing just that ;)

Cold reality is that on iOS there isn’t any Multitrack environment that covers the tools and workflows that a lot of people using desktop have intergrated in to their creative process.

Yah I spent a good twenty+ years chopping up audio bits before getting into iOS and then it was all synth this, synth that with endearing old fossils drooling over retro emulator after retro emulator all excited about a world I knew nothing of and had zero nostalgia for. I just wanted to chop up sounds on a timeline. Took about six years before BM3 came along and did it well enough (ish) and low and behold once I learned about what an MPC was etc it connected to my old teenage tracker nostalgia and DAW audio editing synapses began to fire up big time. It is not like chopping up audio is objectively better but my brain had been accustomed to producing joy juice in a way that was not available for the first six years I was on iOS. Was fun learning about synths and synthesis but was not my ideal neurally pre-programmed creative process.

It’s kind of like expecting a piano player to not be frustrated when playing a piano with a bunch of keys missing ;)

Hell yah NS2 lacked a sustain pedal thingy and mod wheel at first and some people (actual musicians?) were way more choked about that than no audio tracks. How is that possible? Oh wait, everyone is different. dammit!

Beatmaker 3 And NS2 seem like good examples of IOS Daws with promise that prove it is ‘possible’...but it’s just a case of when/if they ever get closer to ‘finished’...

My money is on leveraging the two together more and more but there is the chance of a new contender as well.

• @AudioGus said:
    Hell yah NS2 lacked a sustain pedal thingy and mod wheel at first and some people (actual musicians?) were way more choked about that than no audio tracks. How is that possible? Oh wait, everyone is different. dammit!

:D

• @brambos said:

Exactly, Also I don’t see a lot of the things quoted missing as “epic fails”. At least not to the point I feel like I can’t get it done on the iPad and I’m still on an Air 2. When I get an IPad Pro everybody’s in trouble, lol.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019

@RevenantX

Really? You're knocking AUM for not having an integrated looper and calling that "a epic fail"?

Well how far do you wanna take that line of thinking i.e. ignoring a powerful toolset and fixating on some minor thing for the sake of calling the software a "fail" e.g.

Cubasis 2: Lacks cup holder and airbags

Korg Gadget 2: No cheese making facilities

AUM: No ice dispenser, or nuclear fission capability

You see my point?

Everything has limits, but limitation is the mother of invention, and sometimes we just need to get on with it and work with what's there, no? By all means write to the devs with feature requests, but in the meantime isn't it best to embrace those limits and get on with it?

• Once iOS got Files and more and more developers started making their apps compatible with it, the sky became the limit. We have a plethora of relatively lower-cost apps in the appstore that, when used in tandem, can do most anything we need (except maybe clip launching outside of ModStep and BM3). I think of the iPad as the DAW itself rather than one app being the DAW to end all DAWs. Instead of relying on one DAW with a certain workflow, the workflow on iOS can be far more personalised to fit the user's basic needs due to the relatively low cost of said apps and how we combine them in our workflows.

That said, some of us (like me) prefer starting and finishing work 100% on the iPad. Others prefer a hybrid production solution between iPad and desktop (like Andrew Huang sometimes does). Each workflow poses its own challenges and shortcomings to adapt to.

These are just my personal observations of course, not universal truths. :lol:

• Don’t forget there’s younger people who have literally started their music journey by searching “beat maker” in the store and stumbling across Auxy, which they are now using, many of them exclusively, to make pretty cool, polished stuff. We have been spoiled beyond all repair

• +1 to "use what you've got".

Just think of how many gazillion great records were made on 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8 track tape machines! Or a couple of synths, a drum machine and a sampler with a floppy drive. You can do it! And do it with Garageband on your old phone if'n you want.

• Maybe the better question is why do people imagine that for $5 to $50 that they will get something as deeply tested and fine-tuned as a $500 - $1000 app that has been in constant development for 20 years.

I'd say that while not perfect, the state of things is pretty amazing.

Also, let's pray that devs don't turn our mobile devices into little desktop machines.

• edited June 2019

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

It’s kind of like expecting a piano player to not be frustrated when playing a piano with a bunch of keys missing ;)

😂 you really made me laugh @AudioGus

Well, I was one of those “actual musicians”...
    I already knew that NS2 had no audio tracks yet so I had nothing to complain about.
    But I was just shocked to discover that the sustain pedal was completely blocked by design and it was not a bug, it was a deliberate choice of the dev.

Then it was “fixed”, but the polyphony limited to 32 notes only 😳

So I learned the hard way that “actual musicians” who spent several years practicing chords and scales and know how to really play the piano are not the target audience of most music apps on IOS.

I started with Cakewalk sequencer on a PC on the late 80s, used to record on a 4 track Tascam cassette recorder and I thought those were limitations. Now I’m 51 and have to play on a screen keyboard with those tiny keys???

Yes, it seems I’m too old for the IOS party... 😂😂😂

• edited June 2019

@Rodolfo said:

@AudioGus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

😂 you really made me laugh @AudioGus

Well, I was one of those “actual musicians”...
    I already knew that NS2 had no audio tracks yet so I had nothing to complain about.
    But I was just shocked to discover that the sustain pedal was completely blocked by design and it was not a bug, it was a deliberate choice of the dev.

Then it was “fixed”, but the polyphony limited to 32 notes only 😳

So I learned the hard way that “actual musicians” who spent several years practicing chords and scales and know how to really play the piano are not the target audience of most music apps on IOS.

Interesting! I think this highlights one aspect of the (call it outrage/slighting/unease/frustration) that we may often feel when an app doesn't address our 'needs' (cough FEELINGS). Nobody likes to feel like they don't belong and when I think back to my early 'wah wah iOS, what about us audio choppers??', there was a sense of feeling not legit or worthy.

I started with Cakewalk sequencer on a PC on the late 80s, used to record on a 4 track Tascam cassette recorder and I thought those were limitations. Now I’m 51 and have to play on a screen keyboard with those tiny keys???

Yes, it seems I’m too old for the IOS party... 😂😂😂

Never! iOS needs to catch up to you.

• @AudioGus said:
    Oh wait, everyone is different. dammit!

That right there is the real problem! Things would be so much simpler if we could fix that devilish little issue.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    Maybe the better question is why do people imagine that for $5 to $50 that they will get something as deeply tested and fine-tuned as a $500 - $1000 app that has been in constant development for 20 years.

Seriously, though. This is the true answer to the OP’s question.

• edited June 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    Maybe the better question is why do people imagine that for $5 to $50 that they will get something as deeply tested and fine-tuned as a $500 - $1000 app that has been in constant development for 20 years.

@wim said:
    Seriously, though. This is the real answer to the OP’s question.

You’ve eally got a point @espiegel123 @wim
    Totally agree

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Rodolfo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:
    Seriously, though. This is the real answer to the OP’s question.

You’ve eally got a point @espiegel123 @wim
    Totally agree

That definitely settles it. This thread is officially closed. 🔨🔨🔨

Sorry... I couldn’t find my gavel so I had to use this hammer.

• That's true and being demanding users and pushing the platform has lead to AUv3 and I hope the platform pushing will continue ;)
    And yes a lot of great art comes from pushing and learning new tools and workflows and not keeping to the same old formulas as it rewires your brain.