Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What wrong with all DAWs/Apps on iOS?

123457»

Comments

• @mistercharlie said:
    @ricksteruk said:

It's most frustrating to be in the throws of jamming out ideas and it just decides it won't frigging record anything... so.. Hard reboot iPad.. try again.. maybe it works again then for a bit.. maybe not... aaargh!

This is why I've given up recording into iPad DAWs. GarageBand is the same. Between this and the flakey USB-C connection to my mixer, I just can't trust it.

I've switched to a hardware recorder, and now I just arrange in the DAW.

I’ve been thinking of using multiple iPads all connected to a hardware recorder for recording live jamming - what hardware recorder and audio interface do you use?

• Isn’t it time for Beathawk 3?

• @rs2000 said:

@mistercharlie said:
    @ricksteruk said:
    It's most frustrating to be in the throws of jamming out ideas and it just decides it won't frigging record anything... so.. Hard reboot iPad.. try again.. maybe it works again then for a bit.. maybe not... aaargh!

This is why I've given up recording into iPad DAWs. GarageBand is the same. Between this and the flakey USB-C connection to my mixer, I just can't trust it.

You know what?
    I keep my old iPad 1 with Cubasis installed sitting in an old Alesis io Dock Just for that purpose: Recording an audio and MIDI track simultaneously and reliably. An iPad 1 can easily be jailbroken and because there are plenty of 3rd party tools available via Cydia, you can hack it to more or less automatically upload the recordings to your "main" iPad.

Other than that, I can't confirm the issues you mentioned except once when I had a faulty iTrack Dock. What hardware do you experience your problems with?

The interface itself is not exhibiting any connection problems - the audio out is fine, and the audio in sounds ok through the input monitor - it's just that the Zurich Gadget keeps failing to actually record anything.

I suspect its to do with the fact that we are trying to record whilst jamming live - so the transport is in loop mode and continually playing one or another Gadget "scene" and then hitting record when we want to capture some vocal loops. Or MIDI loops if playing keys / drums. Basically we are not hitting STOP - the scene is playing continually.

The MIDI is dropping in and out of record reliably - and the audio tracks were working previously - but there was a Gadget update in between and perhaps that is why the audio recording is being flaky now?

• @ricksteruk said:

@rs2000 said:

@mistercharlie said:
    @ricksteruk said:

You know what?
    I keep my old iPad 1 with Cubasis installed sitting in an old Alesis io Dock Just for that purpose: Recording an audio and MIDI track simultaneously and reliably. An iPad 1 can easily be jailbroken and because there are plenty of 3rd party tools available via Cydia, you can hack it to more or less automatically upload the recordings to your "main" iPad.

Other than that, I can't confirm the issues you mentioned except once when I had a faulty iTrack Dock. What hardware do you experience your problems with?

The interface itself is not exhibiting any connection problems - the audio out is fine, and the audio in sounds ok through the input monitor - it's just that the Zurich Gadget keeps failing to actually record anything.

I suspect its to do with the fact that we are trying to record whilst jamming live - so the transport is in loop mode and continually playing one or another Gadget "scene" and then hitting record when we want to capture some vocal loops. Or MIDI loops if playing keys / drums. Basically we are not hitting STOP - the scene is playing continually.

The MIDI is dropping in and out of record reliably - and the audio tracks were working previously - but there was a Gadget update in between and perhaps that is why the audio recording is being flaky now?

Oops - have you filed a bug report at
    https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new ?

• @rs2000 said:

Oops - have you filed a bug report at
    https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new ?

Thankfully that page is still operational after they killed the forum :D

• I wholeheartedly agree with the premise of this post. I love the idea of working with iOS. The interface is amazing (and portable!). There's some really innovative apps, but... There's not currently a proper DAW environment. Having to cobble together a half dozen apps to fill in the gaps of missing functionality is tedious and time consuming. It defeats the whole purpose of a platform like iOS. A couple players are REALLY close to doing it. Like Cubasis and BM3.

• @CF3 said:
    I wholeheartedly agree with the premise of this post. I love the idea of working with iOS. The interface is amazing (and portable!). There's some really innovative apps, but... There's not currently a proper DAW environment. Having to cobble together a half dozen apps to fill in the gaps of missing functionality is tedious and time consuming. It defeats the whole purpose of a platform like iOS. A couple players are REALLY close to doing it. Like Cubasis and BM3.

Many apps like Cubasis and BM3 feel REALLY close but only if they were to add and change exactly what I want. I could see three or four seemingly simple things that would result in my imagined utopia but in the end they have a wishlist from the mob of hundreds of things. The odds of mine being picked for implementation are slim to none.

• @RevenantX said:
    Why all ios DAWs have some epic fails that kills almost all sense of making jams/music using ipad?
    For example:

Beatmaker 3: no track freeze (only in epic long way) (many AUv3 synths/effect very heavy so track freeze is must have feature)

Cubasis 2: cannot stretch clips to loop them (basic feature in almost all DAWs on pc) (no clip launcher but for Cubase/Cubasis this is ok)

Stagelight 4: Almost ideal DAW but midi with AUv3 skip some notes and hang some (unusable for now at all), and we waiting for fix 3 months already

Korg Gadget 2: Good DAW. But no support of AUv3, Cannot record audio from Audiobus, No send tracks with effects (only inserts that stacks and create mud and mess)

ModStep: good daw, but no good audio recording, track freeze and seems that it abandoned.

AUM: no integrated looper (you can record and reimport but this breaks all inspiration)

Many loopers (like quantiloop): limited track numbers (seriously? on ipad with mega processor that can handle tons of cool games)

Many grooveboxes: limited number of bars (from 4 to 8 maximum). No support of AUv3 in many apps.

So for now for music sketching/jam best things:
    Korg Gadget 2 and AUM + Enso looper + some sequencers like ATOM Piano roll.

For me as Bitwig user - clip launcher is the best thing for creativity. But for now there is no DAWs that work good in that way (there is some but without AUv3 support).
    I don't see any sense in full music production on ipad i have pc for this thing.
    I use ipad as portable sketch/inspiration device (as most of users here i think). And this is very uncomfortable for now.

Is that so hard to create DAW with:
    -Live looping (clips like in bitwig/ableton)
    -Clip/track freeze (to reduce CPU usage)
    -AUv3 support
    -Unlimited number of tracks (that limited only to your CPU)
    Close to this only Stagelight that i hope will be fixed in near future.

What’s that phrase....”limitations foster creation”....blah blah

Let me put some feelings out there:

1-Ableton set the bar high.
    2-AU in iOS is sadly devolving right back into the quandaries faced by IAA in some respects. More and more “connections” and config BS happening when I use iOS.

Ableton, click, set midi assigned to multiple controllers in 9 seconds. No grids connections menus then back again.
    3-Financial situations of each person is actually most relevant factor.
    4-Easy to rag on things a person doesn’t own or can’t afford.
    5-Apple cherry picks leading devs in iOS music apps hindering larger evolution of playing field
    6-Until the “powers that be” find a way to cash in on iOS, it will be relegated to a permanent state of professional performance blue balls.
    7-Companies are hesitant to put their cards on table with an iOS version.
    Toe dabble, smell test, minor apps or mini cash cow IAP apps but no one dares put it all in.
    Next question, has Apple designed it this way till the $200 iOS Logic breaks glass ceiling.
    8-Excuses used by some ......strategies of “we want an app every person can buy IAP....I mean make music...

Blocs Wave w several upgrades has potentially best chance of breaking the limits.

That’s just me. At this moment.

Hot at work miserable....lol

• I really appreciate everyone’s great input here. For me, all these apps are a dream come true especially since I can take my iPad to work and record in my car anytime any day!

Cubasis is the one I’ve been using for my intro to learning midi but now I’ve just received NS2 and will wholeheartedly dive into learning midi with it.

I found that sometimes not having too many distractions is best to help me get creative! I remember the days when I had my Old Tascam 688 midi studio 8 track cassette recorder, and my Korg i30 Synth, both long gone, well I did way more songs and music on those two units than I have ever been able to do with PC or iPad. It seems that all the time has been spent discovering, learning, and less making.

Whereas with my old recorder and i30 synth, I would just plug my guitar and arm record and push play and my synth would sync along with my 8 track cassette recorder- and Bam! Tracks recorded!

So in a way, I’m really glad the way NS2 is simplicity but enough depth to get things done. As well as Cubasis! So we are truly spoiled with all these apps! We never feel like we get enough but in reality we have tons of potential at our fingertips.🤗😌❤️🎹

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I really appreciate everyone’s great input here. For me, all these apps are a dream come true especially since I can take my iPad to work and record in my car anytime any day!

Cubasis is the one I’ve been using for my intro to learning midi but now I’ve just received NS2 and will wholeheartedly dive into learning midi with it.

I found that sometimes not having too many distractions is best to help me get creative! I remember the days when I had my Old Tascam 688 midi studio 8 track cassette recorder, and my Korg i30 Synth, both long gone, well I did way more songs and music on those two units than I have ever been able to do with PC or iPad. It seems that all the time has been spent discovering, learning, and less making.

Whereas with my old recorder and i30 synth, I would just plug my guitar and arm record and push play and my synth would sync along with my 8 track cassette recorder- and Bam! Tracks recorded!

So in a way, I’m really glad the way NS2 is simplicity but enough depth to get things done. As well as Cubasis! So we are truly spoiled with all these apps! We never feel like we get enough but in reality we have tons of potential at our fingertips.🤗😌❤️🎹

Is this a new user name or a new person.....you Tones 4?

• Same as Musikman4christ
    My other profile got hacked on my email so I had to change it. Same old MM4C ❤️👍🏼🤪

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Same as Musikman4christ
    My other profile got hacked on my email so I had to change it. Same old MM4C ❤️👍🏼🤪

Ok! Thanks my brother
    I thought so

YT as well?