Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• Great and great sounding synths, many thanks for fixing the bug with iOS 11!

• curious as to what's going on with the cc mappings on these..

I'm trying to map a midi controller to Spectrum in AUM. Some of the exposed cc's seem to override the default mappings once connected, but others don't - which gets very hairy.

It would be useful if there was a way to turn the default mappings..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@palm said:
    curious as to what's going on with the cc mappings on these..

I'm trying to map a midi controller to Spectrum in AUM. Some of the exposed cc's seem to override the default mappings once connected, but others don't - which gets very hairy.

It would be useful if there was a way to turn the default mappings..

agreed, would be a good option. A switch to turn off internal midi cc mappings.

• edited July 2019

@[Deleted User]
    A switch to turn off internal midi cc mappings.

Ah, now here you can appreciate that NS maps MIDI CC to macro knob, which is mapped to AU parameter, but MIDI CC itself is not propagated into AU plugin (in except of modwheel)

• edited July 2019

@dendy said:

@[Deleted User]
    A switch to turn off internal midi cc mappings.

Ah, now here you can appreciate that NS maps MIDI CC to macro knob, which is mapped to AU parameter, but MIDI CC itself is not propagated into AU plugin (in except of modwheel)

True but NS2 only have 8 macro knobs (I believe) to assign which is not enough for me personally, I like to map all parameters of an AU but Automation is very cool.

• True but NS2 only have 8 macro knobs (I believe) to assign which is not enough for me personally, I like to map all parameters of an AU

aah understand, yes, that's true, 8 macros + XY pad + modwheel (and pitchwheel) - that's all ..

• @dendy said:

True but NS2 only have 8 macro knobs (I believe) to assign which is not enough for me personally, I like to map all parameters of an AU

aah understand, yes, that's true, 8 macros + XY pad + modwheel (and pitchwheel) - that's all ..

After seeing your awesome little track I did miss having automation in AUM.

• @dendy said:

True but NS2 only have 8 macro knobs (I believe) to assign which is not enough for me personally, I like to map all parameters of an AU

Yeah, I like the macro thing in theory (and love NS2), but 8 knobs is too few for control of any plugin or hardware. Do you know if there are plans to add more macros in future updates?

• Had some fun with the Granular yesterday - got some nice sounds feeding a Resonator into it, but I was also trying things and not getting expected results often. Can someone explain the different modes in more detail and how they work? (Spectral, Loop Delay, etc).

is the Freeze button on the Granular supposed to hold? I couldn't get anything to Freeze no matter what I tried.

• @Halftone said:
    Had some fun with the Granular yesterday - got some nice sounds feeding a Resonator into it, but I was also trying things and not getting expected results often. Can someone explain the different modes in more detail and how they work? (Spectral, Loop Delay, etc).

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/clouds/alternate_modes/

Also DivKid is one of the best at going through and explaining what modules do:
    Here's one on the main Clouds features (Granulation mode)
    And here's one on the alternate modes.

is the Freeze button on the Granular supposed to hold? I couldn't get anything to Freeze no matter what I tried.

Yes Freeze does capture a buffer of audio for frozen manipulation. This does work for me... however, there's a bug in Granular where switching modes can kill some of the modes. For me Spectral goes silent if I switch to anything (or when initially trying to switch to it - this might be what @waka_x was seeing) and Time Stretch goes to a hard stutter (sounds like a frozen delay modulated by a random stepped value). Granular and Looping Delay seem to still work. Simply deleting and reloading the AU doesn't fix this, I have to reset the audio system (e.g. toggle the sample rate to a different value).

However, I've had a couple of times where even that fix seems to stop working after a while. I saved an AUM session that cannot be fixed by toggling the sample rate, I have to delete the AU, load a new version, then toggle the sample rate to get it working again.

iPad Pro 10.5" iOS 12.3.1

@burns_audio

• @aplourde said:

@Halftone said:
    Had some fun with the Granular yesterday - got some nice sounds feeding a Resonator into it, but I was also trying things and not getting expected results often. Can someone explain the different modes in more detail and how they work? (Spectral, Loop Delay, etc).

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/clouds/alternate_modes/

Also DivKid is one of the best at going through and explaining what modules do:
    Here's one on the main Clouds features (Granulation mode)
    And here's one on the alternate modes.

Yes Freeze does capture a buffer of audio for frozen manipulation. This does work for me... however, there's a bug in Granular where switching modes can kill some of the modes. For me Spectral goes silent if I switch to anything (or when initially trying to switch to it - this might be what @waka_x was seeing) and Time Stretch goes to a hard stutter (sounds like a frozen delay modulated by a random stepped value). Granular and Looping Delay seem to still work. Simply deleting and reloading the AU doesn't fix this, I have to reset the audio system (e.g. toggle the sample rate to a different value).

However, I've had a couple of times where even that fix seems to stop working after a while. I saved an AUM session that cannot be fixed by toggling the sample rate, I have to delete the AU, load a new version, then toggle the sample rate to get it working again.

iPad Pro 10.5" iOS 12.3.1

@burns_audio

This is a much better video on Clouds:

• edited July 2019

@[Deleted User] said:

@dendy said:

After seeing your awesome little track I did miss having automation in AUM.

Ditto, I went to buy NS2 because of that but $38 put me off. Now I bought Xequence 2 for $10 and can do all that in AUM. Just for recording automation loops while still using Rozeta for sequencers it's pretty slick.

• Yeah, Xequence is a good combo with AUM :) ..am hoping Atom will still update with automation before too long as well.

I recommend Alessandros "midi send" AUs in AUM as well for some easy but deep LFO automation.

• Also hoping atom is updated as it is auv3.

I never got on with xequence, Its too confusing for me and it doesn’t have a return to host button so too slow.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Also hoping atom is updated as it is auv3.

I never got on with xequence, Its too confusing for me and it doesn’t have a return to host button so too slow.

IMO, xequence + AUM benefits greatly from AB3. The remote transport control and app-switching is quite nice.

• @espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

IMO, xequence + AUM benefits greatly from AB3. The remote transport control and app-switching is quite nice.

Yeah the Audiobus app switching really helps. I do it via bluetooth from my phone, I can't really stick a controller next to where I put my iPad. :lol:

Bad enough I sit the iPad and a laptop on the mixer really.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Yeah the Audiobus app switching really helps. I do it via bluetooth from my phone, I can't really stick a controller next to where I put my iPad. :lol:

But at least the iPad can provide a nice level place to set your coffee cup.

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

That's a hell of a mixer you got there bruh! Im bit jealous. For me I not keen on adding apps just so i can use another app. Also xequence never felt intuitive for me to use in terms of setting up and editing and the lack of return to host button was a bit unusual. I am glad others like it though :-)

• @[Deleted User] said:

@BroCoast said:

@espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

That's a hell of a mixer you got there bruh! Im bit jealous. For me I not keen on adding apps just so i can use another app. Also xequence never felt intuitive for me to use in terms of setting up and editing and the lack of return to host button was a bit unusual. I am glad others like it though :-)

It's just a Tascam M520 I got for $50 from a TV station here but a Neve would be kind of wasted on me though coz I'd just sit my ipad on it and play virtual instruments. B)

• @BroCoast said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@BroCoast said:

@espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

It's just a Tascam M520 I got for $50 from a TV station here but a Neve would be kind of wasted on me though coz I'd just sit my ipad on it and play virtual instruments. B)

hihi, im sure that M520 would cost a bit more in Nederland! Are you the guy with the lovely piano in your studio? Jealousy increasing....

• 0.3 update is live! Thanks for the update, so much easier to see what's going on in AUM with the names below the icons.

• resonator and modal instruments work again in garageband
    • added short names
    • XY pad modulation from MIDI or AU updates GUI
    • MIDI CC list updated
    • volume modulation is interpolated, and now works in clouds (for example modulating env -> level)

@burns_audio Found a bug in AUM on iPhone X. After switching from the Main tab to any other tab in all the plugins, scrolling up and down with one finger only works in the Matrix tab.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@BroCoast said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@BroCoast said:

@espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

hihi, im sure that M520 would cost a bit more in Nederland! Are you the guy with the lovely piano in your studio? Jealousy increasing....

I actually have 4 pianos (Kawaii studio grand, Yamaha upright, Yamaha CP70 & a 1920's upright for FX) but I don't have a studio. More like a room full of junk :)

• @BroCoast said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@BroCoast said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@BroCoast said:

@espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I actually have 4 pianos (Kawaii studio grand, Yamaha upright, Yamaha CP70 & a 1920's upright for FX) but I don't have a studio. More like a room full of junk :)

I hate you! :wink: Awesome collection.... no Steinway though.

• This dev is amazing! I am so eager to see what his next project will be. He said something about training himself with iOS and AU Plug coding and releasing it for free and working on other projects that will be able to buy in the AppStore 💪🏼

• Yay, x/y pad automation fix is in :)
    This suite is now fully locked and loaded, great work B)

• edited July 2019

Are MIDI CC still hard-coded or can you map / midi learn any value?

As a side note, I'm glad I don't need buy a Microfreak as a result.

• edited July 2019

@nondes said:
    As a side note, I'm glad I don't need buy a Microfreak as a result.

I have MicroFreak and it is worth to have it even through there is Spectral Synth AU :)

First thing - there are some algos on microfreak which are not in Plaits, added by Arturia, plus you have more modulation options on Microfreak - loopable second envelope which goes almost to audio rate, faster LFO, plus analog filter .. plus that keyboard is HELL LOT OF FUN, very expressive and inspirational :))

• @dendy Yeah MPE support for Spectrum could be cool. Eventually, I'd like to have ES8 in a eurorack to route audio from my iPad to analog filters.