Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @cretakano said:
    Found a bug in AUM on iPhone X. After switching from the Main tab to any other tab in all the plugins, scrolling up and down with one finger only works in the Matrix tab.

@burns_audio Same problem in Garageband btw, can only scroll on the Matrix page for some reason.

• There's still the issue I noted above. I believe @burns_audio is traveling this week, so we shouldn't expect fixes (or a response) immediately, but I'm curious if anyone else can confirm:

There's a bug in Granular where switching modes can kill some of the modes. For me Spectral goes silent if I switch to anything (or when initially trying to switch to it - this might be what @waka_x was seeing) and Time Stretch goes to a hard stutter (sounds like a frozen delay modulated by a random stepped value). Granular and Looping Delay seem to still work. Simply deleting and reloading the AU doesn't fix this, I have to reset the audio system (e.g. toggle the sample rate to a different value).

However, I've had a couple of times where even that fix seems to stop working after a while. I saved an AUM session that cannot be fixed by toggling the sample rate, I have to delete the AU, load a new version, then toggle the sample rate to get it working again.

iPad Pro 10.5" iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 9.7" iOS 12.1

• @aplourde said:
    There's still the issue I noted above. I believe @burns_audio is traveling this week, so we shouldn't expect fixes (or a response) immediately, but I'm curious if anyone else can confirm:

There's a bug in Granular where switching modes can kill some of the modes. For me Spectral goes silent if I switch to anything (or when initially trying to switch to it - this might be what @waka_x was seeing) and Time Stretch goes to a hard stutter (sounds like a frozen delay modulated by a random stepped value). Granular and Looping Delay seem to still work. Simply deleting and reloading the AU doesn't fix this, I have to reset the audio system (e.g. toggle the sample rate to a different value).

However, I've had a couple of times where even that fix seems to stop working after a while. I saved an AUM session that cannot be fixed by toggling the sample rate, I have to delete the AU, load a new version, then toggle the sample rate to get it working again.

iPad Pro 9

Im sure you did this already on the 0.3 update but just in case did you uninstall/reinstall? Also are you on AUM beta?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:
    There's still the issue I noted above. I believe @burns_audio is traveling this week, so we shouldn't expect fixes (or a response) immediately, but I'm curious if anyone else can confirm:

iPad Pro 9

Im sure you did this already on the 0.3 update but just in case did you uninstall/reinstall? Also are you on AUM beta?

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. This isn't just in AUM, it's in AB3 and apeMatrix as well (and I'm not on the AUM beta). And on three different devices with slightly different OS versions.

Yes I did try deleting and re-installing; the issue persists.

I wasn't expecting a fix as I contacted Tom yesterday and he noted he was traveling and couldn't take a look. I'm assuming this 0.3 update was released prior. However, I was curious that no one else has mentioned this as it seems pretty apparent.

• @aplourde said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

iPad Pro 9

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. This isn't just in AUM, it's in AB3 and apeMatrix as well (and I'm not on the AUM beta). And on three different devices with slightly different OS versions.

I wasn't expecting a fix as I contacted Tom yesterday and he noted he was traveling and couldn't take a look. I'm assuming this 0.3 update was released prior. However, I was curious that no one else has mentioned this as it seems pretty apparent.

Best not to update then?

• @aplourde said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

iPad Pro 9

Yeah, i’m not experiencing the issue you are having as far as i can tell so far.

• MPE support for spectrum? Get real, fellas. The dude gave us enough, and like with everything else, the forum just keeps asking and asking. Get real, dudes.

• @oat_phipps said:
    MPE support for spectrum? Get real, fellas. The dude gave us enough, and like with everything else, the forum just keeps asking and asking. Get real, dudes.

I mean - it's fine for people to ASK. It's also fine for the dev to say "No."

Personally I don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I can't begrudge others for simply making a request.

• @BroCoast said:

@aplourde said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

iPad Pro 9

Best not to update then?

This was in the earlier version. Nothing changed with the update. The dev said he would take a look next week

• @aplourde said:

@BroCoast said:

@aplourde said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

iPad Pro 9

Best not to update then?

This was in the earlier version. Nothing changed with the update. The dev said he would take a look next week

Oh cool. :)

• @[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

iPad Pro 9

Yeah, i’m not experiencing the issue you are having as far as i can tell so far.

So if you're using Granular and you switch to Spectral or Time Stretch modes it works? (set to full wet to hear the output only). Toggling between different modes and Spectral and Time Stretch keep working?

For me Spectral goes silent and Time Stretch is just a buzzing sound that changes as if by a random stepped LFO.
    When I toggle the sample rate to reset the audio it works, but when I change the mode it breaks again.

• edited July 2019

@Daveypoo said:

@oat_phipps said:
    MPE support for spectrum? Get real, fellas. The dude gave us enough, and like with everything else, the forum just keeps asking and asking. Get real, dudes.

I mean - it's fine for people to ASK. It's also fine for the dev to say "No."

Personally I don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I can't begrudge others for simply making a request.

I have a sense of propriety that leans toward the 'don't look a gift horse..' is all...I'll get over it

• I’ll update the Mozaic randomizer script to reflect the changed cc’s later today.

• @nondes said:
    Are MIDI CC still hard-coded or can you map / midi learn any value?

As a side note, I'm glad I don't need buy a Microfreak as a result.

Hard coded. But it’s an AU, and normally those you midi learn the AU parameters in the host instead.

What I’m not sure about is what happens if you map a cc that’s used in the app to an AU parameter. I wonder if you get conflicts. To busy to try it out at the moment. Maybe someone else can comment.

• @aplourde said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

iPad Pro 9

So if you're using Granular and you switch to Spectral or Time Stretch modes it works? (set to full wet to hear the output only). Toggling between different modes and Spectral and Time Stretch keep working?

For me Spectral goes silent and Time Stretch is just a buzzing sound that changes as if by a random stepped LFO.
    When I toggle the sample rate to reset the audio it works, but when I change the mode it breaks again.

Yep you are correct, i get the same issue which is resolved by sample rate change. In my case pulling out the sound card changes the sample rate.

• @wim said:

@nondes said:
    Are MIDI CC still hard-coded or can you map / midi learn any value?

As a side note, I'm glad I don't need buy a Microfreak as a result.

Hard coded. But it’s an AU, and normally those you midi learn the AU parameters in the host instead.

What I’m not sure about is what happens if you map a cc that’s used in the app to an AU parameter. I wonder if you get conflicts. To busy to try it out at the moment. Maybe someone else can comment.

Yeah, that's basically my question, because I have specific CCs mapped already in AUM sessions. I'll have to check to see.

• I think I know what's going on in Granular and will have a fix next week when I'm back to my laptop. You can upgrade to 0.3, the issue has been there since launch.

Inability to scroll when in landscape is intentional, scrolling and Touchpads do not work on the same screen, and in general iOS scrolling delays all other interactions with the screen as the scroll view delays to determine if it's a scroll gesture. If you switch to portrait for compatible hosts like AUM, scrolling will will work (in portrait).

I think there's a few small things to look at, 0.4 should be out be end of next week.

MPE won't be happening super soon but I'll keep working on the fundamentals to make it happen one day, like after touch support and a bit more streamlined way to process MIDI modwheel and expose aftertouch/sustain in the mod source list.

Re:open sourcing I would like to eventually but want to refactor the code some more. It was originally the (very over complicated) Apple demo audiounit code and I'd like to simplify the structure some more so it's more understandable.

• Yeah, it's mostly wishful thinking re: MPE. But it still would be amazing. Trust me, I'm as grateful to @burns_audio as anyone else for opening up the world of sound possibilities for us. Like I said before, buy his other app in a show of support.

• Hi @burns_audio, can you ping here when you have had a chance to update the midi ccs on the web page? No rush. B)

• @wim said:
    Hi @burns_audio, can you ping here when you have had a chance to update the midi ccs on the web page? No rush. B)

Before I left I added my iPad ssh key to my website so I can do it in the next day or two.. the manuals already written I just didn't want to update it till 0.3 was live

• @[Deleted User] said:

@aplourde said:

Yep you are correct, i get the same issue which is resolved by sample rate change. In my case pulling out the sound card changes the sample rate.

Thanks, wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy!

@burns_audio said:
    I think I know what's going on in Granular and will have a fix next week when I'm back to my laptop.

Fantastic, thanks again for bringing these to us!

• One more thing... maybe it's me, but the (awesome) "speech" type in Spectrum has become almost unusable in 0.3
    It was an incredible fun before, i was able to hear all words for all categories.
    Now it is less hearable and only after 40% of Harmonics (less than this gives something like between a saw and a bell).
    Just to let you know...

• @burns_audio said:
    Inability to scroll when in landscape is intentional, scrolling and Touchpads do not work on the same screen, and in general iOS scrolling delays all other interactions with the screen as the scroll view delays to determine if it's a scroll gesture. If you switch to portrait for compatible hosts like AUM, scrolling will will work (in portrait).

Ah right, strange thing is that scrolling works on the main page with the touchpad until you switch to any other tab, and after that it only works on the matrix page.

This means that you can't get to to the bottom row of knobs, touchpad or envelope in Garageband on iPhone, as it's stuck in landscape. Not a big deal anyway, I guess not many people are using Spectrum on iPhone or Garageband! :)

• @SimonT said:
    One more thing... maybe it's me, but the (awesome) "speech" type in Spectrum has become almost unusable in 0.3
    It was an incredible fun before, i was able to hear all words for all categories.
    Now it is less hearable and only after 40% of Harmonics (less than this gives something like between a saw and a bell).
    Just to let you know...

Hmm that shouldn't have changed. Timbre affects the speech a lot, and if you have harmonics or timbre mapped to the XY pad that will continue to offset the parameter values even when you aren't touching it (only pad gate changes value depending on your touch).

Usually in this case for me I've left XY pad values high so the knob range is all out of wack

• @SimonT said:

Of course i started from init and removed all mappings from XY pad.
    Before 0.3 it worked smoothly.

• Manual is updated for MIDI CCs in 0.3.

I'll go try speech algorithm now but I can't fix anything til next week if it's a bug

• edited July 2019

Based on the Plaits manual i think speech mode is operating correctly. First 40% of Harmonics results in vowel sounds

"collection of speech synthesis algorithms.

HARMONICS: crossfades between formant filtering, SAM, and LPC vowels, then goes through several banks of LPC words.

TIMBRE: species selection, from Daleks to chipmunks. How does it work? This parameter either shifts the formants up or down independently of the pitch; or underclocks/overclocks the emulated LPC chip (with appropriate compensation to keep the pitch unchanged).

MORPH: phoneme or word segment selection. When HARMONICS is past 11 o’clock, a list of words can be scanned through by turning the MORPH knob or by sending a CV to the corresponding input. One can also patch the trigger input [3] to trigger the utterance of a word, use the FM attenuverter to control the intonation and the MORPH attenuverter to control speed.

AUX: unfiltered vocal cords’ signal."

• @burns_audio said:
    Based on the Plaits manual i think speech mode is operating correctly. First 40% of Harmonics results in vowel sounds

"collection of speech synthesis algorithms.

HARMONICS: crossfades between formant filtering, SAM, and LPC vowels, then goes through several banks of LPC words.

TIMBRE: species selection, from Daleks to chipmunks. How does it work? This parameter either shifts the formants up or down independently of the pitch; or underclocks/overclocks the emulated LPC chip (with appropriate compensation to keep the pitch unchanged).

MORPH: phoneme or word segment selection. When HARMONICS is past 11 o’clock, a list of words can be scanned through by turning the MORPH knob or by sending a CV to the corresponding input. One can also patch the trigger input [3] to trigger the utterance of a word, use the FM attenuverter to control the intonation and the MORPH attenuverter to control speed.

AUX: unfiltered vocal cords’ signal."

Ok, that's interesting! I'll try immediately. Only thing that i am sure about is that >before< the behavior was different.
    Thanks!