Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Velocity Keyboard by Ngo Minh Ngoc

Comments

• @fattigman said:
    @Blue_Mangoo does drum session have midi learn? I couldn’t find any info about that on the website drumsession.org
    Thanks

Drum session does not have midi learn but it allows any assignment of samples you want if you are willing to do it by hand.

• Best velocity sensivity ever on ios !
    It runs ok on my ios 11 standanlone, in AUM it doesn't crash either but I can't see the note pads.
    It looks like a grfx issue.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @fattigman actually, we do have an app that has velocity sensitive drum pads and drum samples. It’s called Drum Session.

I just tried Drum Session and it didn't appear to have velocity sensitive pads, is there a setting somewhere to enable that?

• Good keyboard!

a couple of questions:
    1. How to play chords? it looks like mpe keyboard has only one voice.
    2. It's unusable with the Volt synth at the moment. I always get endless notes.

• Is it possible Volt responds to ‘Note On, Velocity 0’ instead of ‘Note Off’?

• edited May 2019

@richardyot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    @fattigman actually, we do have an app that has velocity sensitive drum pads and drum samples. It’s called Drum Session.

I just tried Drum Session and it didn't appear to have velocity sensitive pads, is there a setting somewhere to enable that?

Look for the switch labelled “Use motion sensors to measure velocity”, which is currently misplaced under the “recording” heading. (I just put in a work order to move it to the MIDI section)

• @SashaPonkratov said:
    Good keyboard!

a couple of questions:

Hi Sasha,

1. Set the MIDI mode to MPE-3 to play chords.
    2. We will check this and fix it.
  • @bresk said:
    Best velocity sensivity ever on ios !
    It runs ok on my ios 11 standanlone, in AUM it doesn't crash either but I can't see the note pads.

@bresk Thank you for reporting this. Could you post a screenshot of the graphics error?

• @SashaPonkratov said:
    Good keyboard!

a couple of questions:

@SashaPonkratov, I did the test with Volt synth + Velocity Keyboard and Volt does not response correctly to mode MPE4 sent from Velocity Keyboard. I think this bug is from Volt synth. You can just use mode MPE3 and everything is ok with Volt synth.

• @Hyatha said:

@SashaPonkratov said:
    Good keyboard!

a couple of questions:

@SashaPonkratov, I did the test with Volt synth + Velocity Keyboard and Volt does not response correctly to mode MPE4 sent from Velocity Keyboard. I think this bug is from Volt synth. You can just use mode MPE3 and everything is ok with Volt synth.

I'm writing email to numerical audio (developers of Volt) now.

• edited May 2019

Looks like there are steps to reproduce this bug with any synth.
    Play some notes - works fine.
    Just hit +1 octave button. After that I have endless notes with moog model d, mood and others.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@bresk said:

@bresk Thank you for reporting this. Could you post a screenshot of the graphics error?

Sure, I will post it later.

• @SashaPonkratov said:
    Looks like there are steps to reproduce this bug with any synth.
    Play some notes - works fine.
    Just hit +1 octave button. After that I have endless notes with moog model d, mood and others.

We have found a fix. It will be out in the next update, version 1.0.4. Thank you for reporting this. This seems to be a different error from the one that affects volt users.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@richardyot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Look for the switch labelled “Use motion sensors to measure velocity”, which is currently misplaced under the “recording” heading. (I just put in a work order to move it to the MIDI section)

Thanks - but for some reason that option isn't available on my device: the toggle is there but it's greyed out and I can't enable it, swiping or tapping does nothing. This is on an iPad Pro 10.5 running iOS 12.2

• @richardyot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@richardyot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Thanks - but for some reason that option isn't available on my device: the toggle is there but it's greyed out and I can't enable it, swiping or tapping does nothing. This is on an iPad Pro 10.5 running iOS 12.2

I have the same problem on my iPad, but on my iPhone it is not greyed out, so it is possible to enable it there 🤔

• @richardyot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@richardyot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

OK. I think I know why it’s like that. We will fix it as soon as possible. Thank you for reporting it.

• @Blue_Mangoo

Getting lots of stuck notes compared with the competition (on Volt which is the MPE synth gold standard AND others). Please include some kind of fix or mini panic button or equivalent

Nice start

• edited May 2019

@audiobussy said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

Getting lots of stuck notes compared with the competition (on Volt which is the MPE synth gold standard AND others). Please include some kind of fix or mini panic button or equivalent

Nice start

We contacted numerical audio (makers of Volt) today about this; I am waiting for their response. For now, the work-around is to switch the MIDI format of Velocity Keyboard over to MPE 3 (one channel per touch); Volt seems to work fine with that setting.

• To be clear for anyone on the fence, this is the current reigning champ.

Way less resource intensive than GeoShred and way more customizable than KB-1 for string/Lightpad users. Better than developers iFretless bass product as an input device.

Confident we will see even more improvements

• @Blue_Mangoo sorry for delayed response, but the update fixed my issue with using VK in Audio Evolution Mobile. Thanks!

Now I have a feature request: could we have an option to make the Sustain button sticky? (Maybe a quick double tap, instead of a single tap, makes Sustain stay pressed down until tapped again?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@bresk said:

• @Blue_Mangoo : is there an option in Velocity Keyboard to restrict notes to the selected scale? If not, I think it would be handy to have the option of either having the scale's notes highlighted (as it is now) with out-of-scale notes playable or a more restrictive mode where it only sends out notes in the selected scale.

• edited May 2019

Second this. Like other Scales keyboards, it would be great to not see or play notes out of scale. This is a limitation which GeoShred is missing as well. Other examples which follow this are KB1 and Xequence Keys.

• @JonLewis you are the second person today that requested this feature. We will probably add it soon.

• @bresk said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@bresk said:

![](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/h7/

@bresk thank you. We will work on this today.

• edited May 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo : is there an option in Velocity Keyboard to restrict notes to the selected scale? If not, I think it would be handy to have the option of either having the scale's notes highlighted (as it is now) with out-of-scale notes playable or a more restrictive mode where it only sends out notes in the selected scale.

@nondes

There is no such option in the current version. We have received this request many times over the years with respect to iFretless apps and have always said no to it because it seems to encourage users to make music that doesn’t have any notes outside of a single scale. I’m open to hearing arguments on the issue that disagree with my opinion, but so far I haven’t heard one that convinced me.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    have always said no to it because it seems to encourage users to make music that doesn’t have any notes outside of a single scale. I’m open to hearing arguments on the issue that disagree with my opinion, but so far I haven’t heard one that convinced me.

The best use case for limiting the keyboard to scales is using a harp-like approach:
    a harp has fixed scales and pedals are used to change notes up or down (for other scales) and then the finger can be pulled across the strings and sustained to make harp swirling sounds. It your keyboard accepted filtering in the app then users could swipe the screen and hear these harp like effects.

This is also trivial in a MIDI FX app to just block notes outside any scale group but these images of massive rows of notes seem like sweeping gestures that block notes might be a great use case.

• @McD said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    have always said no to it because it seems to encourage users to make music that doesn’t have any notes outside of a single scale. I’m open to hearing arguments on the issue that disagree with my opinion, but so far I haven’t heard one that convinced me.

The best use case for limiting the keyboard to scales is using a harp-like approach:
    a harp has fixed scales and pedals are used to change notes up or down (for other scales) and then the finger can be pulled across the strings and sustained to make harp swirling sounds. It your keyboard accepted filtering in the app then users could swipe the screen and hear these harp like effects.

This is also trivial in a MIDI FX app to just block notes outside any scale group but these images of massive rows of notes seem like sweeping gestures that block notes might be a great use case.

I just watched some videos on YouTube about how harps work. That’s amazing. I remember When I was a child I used to watch harp players and wonder how they got so many notes out of an instrument that doesn’t appear to have a full set of strings. It’s only now I got to know that they have pedals.

Do you have an idea of how that concept should be applied to a touch screen layout like velocity KB?

• edited May 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo : is there an option in Velocity Keyboard to restrict notes to the selected scale? If not, I think it would be handy to have the option of either having the scale's notes highlighted (as it is now) with out-of-scale notes playable or a more restrictive mode where it only sends out notes in the selected scale.

@nondes

There is no such option in the current version. We have received this request many times over the years with respect to iFretless apps and have always said no to it because it seems to encourage users to make music that doesn’t have any notes outside of a single scale. I’m open to hearing arguments on the issue that disagree with my opinion, but so far I haven’t heard one that convinced me.

I understand your opinion on this - personally I almost always set my Ableton Push 2 into chromatic mode so I am not limited to the scale - especially useful when I am writing / improvising and I’ve not decided what scale I want to use yet!!!

However on odd occasions once I’ve settled on the scale I do use scale mode so I can make fast and frantic outbursts of notes and not get any duffers in there. I.e it allows me to play faster phrases than my technique would otherwise allow.

I can give you a good argument for allowing scale mode: Physical Disability

I am especially thinking of people here with cerebral palsy. In this case you can get situations where people have limited mobility who want to be able to play live music but their body poses a real challenge. Their physical/technical ability is severely limited but their brains can hear music they would like to be able to achieve.

I’m playing in a community jazz band with a really interesting and intelligent guy whose cerebral palsy makes it a real challenge for him to play instruments. He enjoys pushing himself physically to play percussion like cowbells / cymbals / wood blocks and to try and hold a pulse.

He also has a tech rig with a kaoss pad of some kind and a boss RC-505 loop pedal and sometimes an iPad - he sometimes takes melody solos usually using a theremin sound on the kaoss pad.

I was telling him about Velocity Keyboard on Monday night and he was impressed by its capabilities in sensing velocity. Also the way we can set up rows and columns as we wish make it great for accessibility.

The one thing missing is the scale mode.

• edited May 2019

Yeah, my dad has Parkinson's which makes his hands shake and note accuracy is a big challenge for him. He still likes playing playing music on his iPad but relies on controllers that allow him to produce one-touch chords and/or notes in scale at this point.

Also on the topic of scales, one of the reasons that the Animoog keyboard is my favorite controller is that it allows you to select precisely which notes are active in an octave as opposed to defined scales. As a musician who plays by ear, I know which notes I want active but not what scale or mode I'm playing in. Custom scales would make me really happy...