Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Velocity Keyboard by Ngo Minh Ngoc

Comments

• edited May 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    @JonLewis The update is live on the App Store now. I hope it will resolve the crashing problem. Please let me know if it doesn't.

The update is working great for me so far. Previously I had no issues with the Auv3, but when using it as standalone it kept crashing, and then quite often the notes in the middle part of the screen would not work properly... the animations did nothing.

This seems fixed so far by the update - but not done a great deal of testing yet

• @ricksteruk

Thanks for keeping us up to date; it's a relief to know the situation is improved. I wish I could say we stay calm when a new release is crashing and one-star ratings are showing up on the app store. But it sure is a relief to resolve those issues. This afternoon we fixed the issue with the notes not animating, along with several other smaller bugs. I hope to see that update go live in the next several hours.

Thanks also to all the people who reported the bugs; without those reports the bugs wouldn't get fixed.

• Great stuff. The intelligent resizing is pretty dang cool and practical.

UI:
    The controls and the top w the CC assignments could be a little larger and not so glow-y in effect. They are a little hard to grock at fist glance and distracting because they are so blurry. They work great though.

• @audiblevideo on the topic of control size, may I ask what iOS device you are using?

• Ola, in case you haven't guessed I got a gift card hence the resurgence! So this app just tripped me out as I was playing on iPhone and magically on the iPad 'factory' was playing my notes without any midi hookup before except I may have turned link on. Anyway I thought the sound was coming from phone as I didn't think it midi connected wirelessly to my iPad and I was like ummm wow this sounds big and is working well.(audio hallucination ha) SO far this works great for that kind of thing though the latency was very low, maybe best yet.

• @ricksteruk said:

@cuscolima said:
    There is two things that would make this app even better. First, it would be great to have a mode similar to String but with the ability to play several note simultaneously on the same row.

Have you tried the MPE3 mode? That allows you to play the notes independantly i.e. more than one note at at time on a "string".. is that what you want to do?
    MPE4 is only one note per string so it works the same way a real string instrument does and you can play "hammer ons" and "Pull offs"

Thanks for the trick, it works! So, my first wish is solved, cool!

• edited May 2019

Is this working for others on 12.1 iPad Pro 2016? AU doesn't work for me in AUM, latest version. Crashes every time I add. Standalone appears ok.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @audiblevideo on the topic of control size, may I ask what iOS device you are using?

iPad 10.5" 2017
    To be clear I can "see" them perfectly well they are rendered without a hitch. It's a cognitive/design commentary. I'm not against the aesthetic of the scanline rendering, but it does make smaller elements indistinct.

Great controller.

• @audiblevideo said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    @audiblevideo on the topic of control size, may I ask what iOS device you are using?

iPad 10.5" 2017
    To be clear I can "see" them perfectly well they are rendered without a hitch. It's a cognitive/design commentary. I'm not against the aesthetic of the scanline rendering, but it does make smaller elements indistinct.

Great controller.

Ok I understand. Thanks for your input. :)

• @nondes said:
    Is this working for others on 12.1 iPad Pro 2016? AU doesn't work for me in AUM, latest version. Crashes every time I add. Standalone appears ok.

Please try deleting the app and reinstalling. And please contact us again if that doesn’t resolve the issue.

• When did Apple start allowing the area sensing trick to be used again? A few years ago they were cracking down on apps that used it...

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    When did Apple start allowing the area sensing trick to be used again? A few years ago they were cracking down on apps that used it...

They allowed it a year back, if I remember right. But it’s not as precise as the old illegal version was. I’m not sure why.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    When did Apple start allowing the area sensing trick to be used again? A few years ago they were cracking down on apps that used it...

They allowed it a year back, if I remember right. But it’s not as precise as the old illegal version was. I’m not sure why.

Are you referring to measuring the size of the touched area to deduce the touch pressure (due to soft tissue getting "flatter" with higher pressure)? I had that idea a few years back, but assumed there would be no API for that and didn't even try further...

So there is, but it's "illegal"?

• @SevenSystems said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

Are you referring to measuring the size of the touched area to deduce the touch pressure (due to soft tissue getting "flatter" with higher pressure)? I had that idea a few years back, but assumed there would be no API for that and didn't even try further...

There was a library call that was being used, but it was sub API, so Apple banned the use of it. They must have since included a similar, but less precise version in the API layer.

@SevenSystems said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

There was a library call that was being used, but it was sub API, so Apple banned the use of it. They must have since included a similar, but less precise version in the API layer.

Interesting, thanks!

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

Any chance you’ll be revisiting iFretless Brass to add aftertouch volume/tone swells?

• edited May 2019

@TheOriginalPaulB
    That’s a good idea. We are planning to update it this month. But we didn’t think of that until you mentioned it so it won’t be in the upcoming update.

However, we did make sure it responds to volume control messages from other apps. So that functionality could be achieved by controlling iFretless Brass via Velocity KB

• edited May 2019

@Blue_Mangoo you have created a velocity sensitive keyboard on devices without 3d touch which is incredible. Would you consider to create an app for finger drumming or adding drum pads to current app? In either case I would buy it. Thanks

• @fattigman said:
    @Blue_Mangoo you have created a velocity sensitive keyboard on devices without 3d touch which is incredible. Would you consider to create an app for finger drumming or adding drum pads to current app? In either case I would buy it. Thanks

If you set up 3 rows by 4 columns in Velocity KB with String format and control an app with drum samples on the right notes, you already have what you’re requesting.

• @fattigman
    It’s a reasonable suggestion. We are seriously considering it.

@TheOriginalPaulB
    Yes. That would work. I think the main difference between drum pads and strings layout would be that it would allow you to select the midi note for each pad individually so that they can be assigned in non-consecutive order.

• @fattigman actually, we do have an app that has velocity sensitive drum pads and drum samples. It’s called Drum Session.

• @nondes said:

@Blue_Mangoo I have this same issue, I think. Running iOS 11.4.1 in my case on a 1st generation 12.9" iPad Pro, I can launch and use the app in standalone mode, but not as AUv3. It crashes to red almost immediately upon attempting to load in AUM, and in ApeMatrix it never shows up when I try to add it. I have tried reinstalling, rebooting my iPad, doesn't matter if it's running in standalone mode first or not. I'm adding it as a MIDI device under Audio Unit MIDI Processor as that's the only place I see it in AUM.

• edited May 2019

@oddSTAR @nondes

We heard reports of this issue from other customers who were using not-so-recent versions of iOS. One of them said it worked fine after he upgraded to the latest iOS. We will work on making it work on older versions too.

• edited May 2019

Thanks @Blue_Mangoo I re-installed twice and had same issue. Might be older iOS versions.

• It doesn’t load successfully in AUM on iOS 12.0 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9” either, but it works fine standalone if you aim the midi out at AUM Destination.

• I updated to 12.2 and it's working now.

It doesn’t load successfully in AUM on iOS 12.0 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9” either, but it works fine standalone if you aim the midi out at AUM Destination.

FWIW, iOS 12.0 is pretty buggy. There seems to be a consensus that 12.2 is much better.

• @Blue_Mangoo ok thank you for the answer, I’ll take a look at drum session.

• @Blue_Mangoo does drum session have midi learn? I couldn’t find any info about that on the website drumsession.org
    Thanks

• This is the only iOS 12.0 issue I’ve seen.