Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Velocity Keyboard by Ngo Minh Ngoc

Comments

• After the latest updates the app works great in AUM on my ios 11 :smile: No more graphics problems at all.
    Thanks

• @bresk said:
    After the latest updates the app works great in AUM on my ios 11 :smile: No more graphics problems at all.
    Thanks

Thank you for keeping us informed.

• oh, latest update added scale editor. Now I can play with my own scale
    thanks

• @Hyatha said:
    oh, latest update added scale editor. Now I can play with my own scale
    thanks

:smile:

• I don't know if this is related to the continuous sounding notes from using with volt, but Velocity Keyboard note hangs if I press sustain with Factory Synth. No amount of jiggery will stop it I have to quit the synth.

• @audiblevideo said:
    I don't know if this is related to the continuous sounding notes from using with volt, but Velocity Keyboard note hangs if I press sustain with Factory Synth. No amount of jiggery will stop it I have to quit the synth.

Thank you for reporting this. We have replicated the error and are looking into a solution.

• @audiblevideo said:
    I don't know if this is related to the continuous sounding notes from using with volt, but Velocity Keyboard note hangs if I press sustain with Factory Synth. No amount of jiggery will stop it I have to quit the synth.

did you try to press sustain again?

• Works good now, I'll make a video soon!

• @Hyatha said:

@audiblevideo said:

No amount of jiggery will stop it I have to quit the synth.

Yes.

• edited June 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@audiblevideo said:

Thank you for reporting this. We have replicated the error and are looking into a solution.

No, thank you :smile:
    (ah, the importance of the Oxford comma)

• @reasOne said:
    Works good now, I'll make a video soon!

I still can't seem to get that velocity to work tho, no matter how light or hard I press it plays full on, maybe it's the synths I'm trying to send to or my config

• edited June 2019

@reasOne said:

@reasOne said:

I still can't seem to get that velocity to work tho, no matter how light or hard I press it plays full on, maybe it's the synths I'm trying to send to or my config

Which synth are you using?

Most of them have the ability to respond to velocity but the patches often don’t have it set up so you have to do it manually. We have videos on our YouTube channel showing how to do that for several popular synths.

Factory:

Roli noise:

Thor:

Animoog:

Cubasis:

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@reasOne said:

@reasOne said:

I was just testing sunrizer auv3

• @reasOne said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@reasOne said:

@reasOne said:

I was just testing sunrizer Auv3

A good way to do it in sunrizer is to copy the patch you want to use into both the A and B settings. Tweak the filter cutoff frequency and perhaps also the amp level so that the A and B settings become the sound you want to have at the lowest and highest velocity level.

In Sunrizer the mod wheel fades between A and B settings and it is controlled via MIDi by CC01. Use the “velocity to cc” function near the bottom of the settings menu in Velocity keyboard to send velocity to cc01. Then you will have a setup where when you press lightly, you get the A settings in sunrizer and when you press hard you get the B settings. (And medium force gets something inbetween) If the A and B settings sound like soft and loud versions of the patch, you’ll get great velocity response from that.

• Thanks @Blue_Mangoo !!
    I'll try that after work and catch up on those videos! Appreciate it

• @audiblevideo said:

@Hyatha said:

@audiblevideo said:

No amount of jiggery will stop it I have to quit the synth.

Yes.

hi, I am just find out that when note stuck happens, you can press the setting button to stop the stuck (I think the setting button triggers all notes off).

• @audiblevideo said:

We found the cause of this error and will release an update soon. Thank you for reporting it.

• @reasOne said:
    Thanks @Blue_Mangoo !!
    I'll try that after work and catch up on those videos! Appreciate it

I just downloaded Sunrizer. It has three knobs in the "TRANSFORM MIDI KEY VELOCITY" section of the effects panel that handle velocity response very well. Much easier than the idea I described in my previous post.

• Found a small bug in velocity keyboard (newest version): overwriting presets doesn't seem to work anymore. The only option is to create a new preset.

• New version is crashing for me in standalone trying to edit settings in drum mode.

• edited June 2019

@Blue_Mangoo if you reload a drumpad set, the app is not working (AU or standalone)

• @casual164 said:
    Found a small bug in velocity keyboard (newest version): overwriting presets doesn't seem to work anymore. The only option is to create a new preset.

@nondes said:
    New version is crashing for me in standalone trying to edit settings in drum mode.

@cuscolima said:
    @Blue_Mangoo if you reload a drumpad set, the app is not working (AU or standalone)

Thank you for reporting these. We will work on them and release an update soon.

• Fantastic app; no developer in this business is more diligent in responding to user feedback is icing on the cake.
    THANKS Blue Mangoo!

• edited June 2019

Question and feature request...

In many ways this interface is more evolved compared to earlier interfaces like MPE pioneer Rob Fielding's Cantor, Mugician, and GeoSynth (coded with Fielding's help), and Blue Mangoo's own ifretless apps, etc., but there is one thing I find more lacking -sorely lacking- expression-wise in nor only both VelocityKB and the GeoShred AUV3 MIDI as currently configured but also Linnstrument (which has three preset force to pitch settings) compared to those earlier apps...

Rob Fielding's original obsession was MICROTONES -i.e. "notes between notes" of the typical Western scale, and the ability -if/when desired, to hover infinitely on microtones between shall we say "typical Western pitches" as long as desired (e.g. in GeoSynth this was achieved by setting a "snap" control always visible just above the playing surface in a continuous range between zero and infinity; the latter would instantly force a note to pitch (no pitch bends) whereas the former would NEVER force a note to pitch, enabling, when desired, hovering on a "non-standard" microtone.

This is very useful for what amounts to INCREDIBLE/IDEAL EXPRESSIVENESS in a wide variety of musical genres. E.g. from the Wikipedia article Blue Note:
    "In jazz and blues, a blue note is a note that—for expressive purposes—is sung or played at a slightly different pitch than standard. Typically the alteration is between a quartertone and a semitone, but this varies among performers and genres. Blue notes may be marked by a glissando or trill."

This is also very often used lots of Eastern genres, e.g. (shall we say) "Zen-style" flute playing to traditional Indian music, traditional Middle Eastern music and beyond.

I still find myself opening GeoSynthesizer and Cantor to accomplish this, but if VelocityKB could do something to allow it (some suggested ways: (1) a toggle or press and hold button on the top that momentarily defeats the force to pitch algorithm, or (2) a continuous Snap control as in GeoSynthesizer, or (3) an extra pitch bend strip or rectangle at the top which when pressed takes over the slide wherever the note happens to be at the current moment and moves it without ever forcing a note to pitch when it is being pressed. Burying in in the settings menu would be bad as it is pretty essential to be able to tweak this in the middle of performance on the fly or we are still stuck with one or another compromise per performance.

The force to pitch algorithm is actually a lifesaver MOST OF THE TIME as without it your notes are not going to be in tune. Different instruments and genres to be played correctly require such performance to differ sometimes (hence Linnstruments alternate settings -and admittedly VelocityKB's algorithm is pretty good to a point at tracking a range of "bending" speeds. BUT SOMETIMES it outright kills the possibility of playing "the music in your head" and/or multiple forms of traditional genres ancient and modern from India to the Mediterranean to Blues and Fusion and beyond.

I hope others find this capacity as crucial as I and MPE pioneer Rob Fielding did/does and that some developer can restore this once common essential function in a future update. I'm especially hopeful that Blue Mangoo might be able to do this as the ifretless apps seem to perform better this way! Thanks again for a great new product!

• @UrbanNinja said:
    Question and feature request...

In many ways this interface is more evolved compared to earlier interfaces like MPE pioneer Rob Fielding's Cantor, Mugician, and GeoSynth (coded with Fielding's help), etc., but there is one thing I find more lacking -sorely lacking- expression-wise in nor only both VelocityKB and the GeoShred AUV3 MIDI as currently configured but also Linnstrument (which has three preset force to pitch settings) compared to those earlier apps...

Rob Fielding's original obsession was MICROTONES -i.e. "notes between notes" of the typical Western scale, and the ability -if/when desired, to hover infinitely on microtones between shall we say "typical Western pitches" as long as desired (e.g. in GeoSynth this was achieved by setting a "snap" control always visible just above the playing surface in a continuous range between zero and infinity; the latter would instantly force a note to pitch (no pitch bends) whereas the former would NEVER force a note to pitch, enabling, when desired, hovering on a "non-standard" microtone.

This is very useful for what amounts to INCREDIBLE/IDEAL EXPRESSIVENESS in a wide variety of musical genres. E.g. from the Wikipedia article Blue Note:
    "In jazz and blues, a blue note is a note that—for expressive purposes—is sung or played at a slightly different pitch than standard. Typically the alteration is between a quartertone and a semitone, but this varies among performers and genres. Blue notes may be marked by a glissando or trill."

This is also very often used lots of Eastern genres, e.g. (shall we say) "Zen-style" flute playing to traditional Indian music, traditional Middle Eastern music and beyond.

I still find myself opening GeoSynthesizer and Cantor to accomplish this, but if VelocityKB could do something to allow it (some suggested ways: (1) a toggle or press and hold button on the top that momentarily defeats the force to pitch algorithm, or (2) a continuous Snap control as in GeoSynthesizer, or (3) an extra pitch bend strip or rectangle at the top which when pressed takes over the slide wherever the note happens to be at the current moment and moves it without ever forcing a note to pitch when it is being pressed.

The force to pitch algorithm is actually a lifesaver MOST OF THE TIME as without it your notes are not going to be in tune. Different instruments and genres to be played correctly require such performance to differ sometimes (hence Linnstruments alternate settings -and admittedly VelocityKB's algorithm is pretty good to a point at tracking a range of "bending" speeds. BUT SOMETIMES it outright kills the possibility of playing "the music in your head" and/or multiple forms of traditional genres ancient and modern from India to the Mediterranean to Blues and Fusion and beyond.

I hope others find this capacity as crucial as I and MPE pioneer Rob Fielding did/does and that some developer -maybe Blue Mangoo- can restore this once common essential function in a future update. Thanks again for a great product!

On Linnstrument, does “force to pitch” control the way the pitch is corrected to keep it playing in tune?

I think the way to do what you want is to add a switch that allows you to turn off the pitch correction entirely. We could do that.

Unless you set the key size quite large, it would take considerable discipline to learn to play in tune like that, but violinists have been doing it for centuries, so I believe there are users out there who can do it.

• @UrbanNinja We tested a new layout today that we are calling “Strings - Free pitch”. It’s similar to the strings layout except that it has absolutely no pitch correction. I was expecting it would be difficult to use but I was pleasantly surprised to find its not so hard. If you can handle a fretless Bass then I think you will like it. We expect this feature to be out on the App Store in a day or two.

• @Blue_Mangoo Please reconsider adding note names for notes and sharps. With drum mode, it's even harder to select a pitch mapping without having a note label to tell what's mapped.

Per earlier, this would also be helpful for scales mode. Thanks.

• @nondes said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Please reconsider adding note names for notes and sharps. With drum mode, it's even harder to select a pitch mapping without having a note label to tell what's mapped.

Per earlier, this would also be helpful for scales mode. Thanks.

Thanks for suggesting it. If we can think of a way to label it that fits together with the aesthetic of the app then we will do it.

• edited June 2019

Love the new string mode!!!!!! Due to the string mode and the drum mode velocity keyboard differs clearly from the other ifretless controllers.

• edited June 2019

@casual164 said:
    Love the new string mode!!!!!! Due to the string mode and the drum mode velocity keyboard differs clearly from the other ifretless controllers.

I’m glad to hear you like it. We haven’t done that before because we feared it would be too difficult to play in tune without pitch correction, but when we tried it we were pleasantly surprised to find it is not as challenging as we expected.