Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let’s see your studio setup (photos please!)

Comments

• edited May 2023

In progress. Kawai Novus 10s, Seaboard Rise ll, Kawai ES8, Samsung Frame TV in art mode, Uplift electric standing desk (my favorite part, lol.

• First iteration of my new home space - been waiting to have a dedicated area that was uncluttered by my work computer or stuck in a closet or something. Got the new desk, shelves and laptop stand yesterday - I'm SO UNBELIEVABLY happy that I can begin to have my equipment out and I do not have to setup/breakdown any time I want to play.

It'll take some dialing in over time to get it just right - I'm still missing a more permanent interface for the iPad, some monitors, and a few other items, but this is a good start.

@LinearLineman - I've been following your Osmose struggles and the recent victory with the Seaboard. How is the Kawai treating you?

• That Kawai grand looks lovely :)

• @MarkR said:

The most recent iteration of my live rig.

At left: my homebuilt MIDI pedalbuttonboard, controlling a basic iPad (5th Gen) running four synth channels in AUM. The buttonboard is still in beta mode, and has both octave and hold buttons. It'll eventually get bluetooth.

At right: Korg Microkey 37 and NanoKontrol2 controlling an iPad Air (3rd Gen), also running four synth channels in AUM plus one loop in good old LoopyHD.

On both pads the four synth channels are running simultaneously, and I fade them up and down as needed. Audio outs feed into my Rolls MiniMix4, which can be 9V or AC powered, and has four stereo channels in (both 1/4" and 1/8") and two outs (same). It's the perfect mixer for my compact rig.

Btw, the big drum is 22x6, and is one section of a 22x18 bass drum I built up from a Keller shell thirty years ago. Having not used it in over a decade I got out my handsaw and sliced it into 6" and 12" sections. Both pack a wallop when it hard, but also a nice rumble when tapped. (I always have at least one acoustic instrument in my otherwise iOS setup.)

Love the drum as part of your setup!
    I used to incorporate a big floor tom in my studio as well but as I’m living in an apartment in Berlin I decided that it’s probably not a good idea unfortunately.

• @sigma79 said:
    Maybe silly to not buy an ipad air instead of an ipad 9. As a main logic hub, which would deal with synths only Then audio.

but its cool.

Heck yah! Last of the great headphone jacks! Respect!

• @Daveypoo said:

First iteration of my new home space - been waiting to have a dedicated area that was uncluttered by my work computer or stuck in a closet or something. Got the new desk, shelves and laptop stand yesterday - I'm SO UNBELIEVABLY happy that I can begin to have my equipment out and I do not have to setup/breakdown any time I want to play.

It'll take some dialing in over time to get it just right - I'm still missing a more permanent interface for the iPad, some monitors, and a few other items, but this is a good start.

@LinearLineman - I've been following your Osmose struggles and the recent victory with the Seaboard. How is the Kawai treating you?

So jealous of you having a corner of your own… looks nice!

😊

/DMfan🇸🇪

• edited June 2023

Today my studio has mostly been the kitchen table:

I’ve been wanting to streamline my sofa/bed/anywhere noodling set up for the days when I don’t fancy the whole studio experience, and a little luck recently has enabled me to get there via some strategic acquisitions, I think.

So the Audient Evo 4 interface (cheap, reassuringly solid feeling, two multi inputs (jack / xlr) a DI input for guitar, phantom power, an automatic level setting option, headphones and monitor out, and it can be powered directly by the IPad Pro via the USB C connection to it) goes straight into my s/h M2 iPad Pro, no dongle, camera kit or usb hub required. The Ravpower power bank powers the Meng Qi Wingie II, which I recorded live into the Evo using the Wing Pingies internal mikes. A gratifyingly minimal set up, I think.

Together with the battery powered M Vave Bluetooth mini keyboard I also got recently as part of this cunning plan, and maybe a field recorder or just a mic, gives me pretty much all I need for a go anywhere backpackable rig, I think.

Seems to work quite well, and the Wingie resonator is a lot of fun :)

Lovecraft Tarot cards for added hipster pretentiousness, because of course, and because I use them as music generating prompts in an Eno-esque Oblique Strategies kind of way. Today the goddess of random said I should go direct to the source, so the track I made was based on the first card I drew here. The High Priestess. Drawing The Empress second only reinforced the point…

Check out resultant noise under Creations, if interested. Under ‘The High Priestess.’.

Of course. :)

• @DMfan said:

So jealous of you having a corner of your own… looks nice!

😊

/DMfan🇸🇪

I ugraded from the closet to the corner - I'm moving up in the world!

• Happen to have recently taken a photo of the current state of my studio 2023, at least the main corner of it.

• edited June 2023

@Lady_App_titude said:
    Happen to have recently taken a photo of the current state of my studio 2023, at least the main corner of it.

I'm envious of your massive screens but especially of your Neumann TLM-103 (?). I've wanted one of those forever.

• @Daveypoo said:

I'm envious of your massive screens.

Ha! Yes, and I got two of them for FREE... I got two 27 inch screens for FREE -- one of them a Samsung 4K, which I added to my existing HP 25 inch. Then I spent a great deal of time figuring out how to mount them on VESA mount arms (the 25 inch HP required an adapter)... But finally for the first time I'm approaching something close to Screen-topia. Once you get used to this, it would be hard to imagine going back to working with less!

• @AudioGus said:

@sigma79 said:
    Maybe silly to not buy an ipad air instead of an ipad 9. As a main logic hub, which would deal with synths only Then audio.

but its cool.

Heck yah! Last of the great headphone jacks! Respect!

Respect AG.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Today my studio has mostly been the kitchen table:

I’ve been wanting to streamline my sofa/bed/anywhere noodling set up for the days when I don’t fancy the whole studio experience, and a little luck recently has enabled me to get there via some strategic acquisitions, I think.

So the Audient Evo 4 interface (cheap, reassuringly solid feeling, two multi inputs (jack / xlr) a DI input for guitar, phantom power, an automatic level setting option, headphones and monitor out, and it can be powered directly by the IPad Pro via the USB C connection to it) goes straight into my s/h M2 iPad Pro, no dongle, camera kit or usb hub required. The Ravpower power bank powers the Meng Qi Wingie II, which I recorded live into the Evo using the Wing Pingies internal mikes. A gratifyingly minimal set up, I think.

Together with the battery powered M Vave Bluetooth mini keyboard I also got recently as part of this cunning plan, and maybe a field recorder or just a mic, gives me pretty much all I need for a go anywhere backpackable rig, I think.

Seems to work quite well, and the Wingie resonator is a lot of fun :)

Lovecraft Tarot cards for added hipster pretentiousness, because of course, and because I use them as music generating prompts in an Eno-esque Oblique Strategies kind of way. Today the goddess of random said I should go direct to the source, so the track I made was based on the first card I drew here. The High Priestess. Drawing The Empress second only reinforced the point…

Check out resultant noise under Creations, if interested. Under ‘The High Priestess.’.

Of course. :)

What is the thing between the iPad and the powerbank with the buttons?

• edited June 2023

@cam : That’s the Wingie II. https://www.juno.co.uk/junodaily/2022/09/09/meng-qi-wingie-2-review/,

It’s a brilliant resonator/physical modeller/sort-of reverb thing, quite affordable at £168 from Signal Sounds, (Whereas Meng Qi’s Wing Pinger, which I share @Krupa ’s lust for is a) unobtanium and b) considerably north of a grand.)

This however is a bit like a standalone usb-c powered Eurorack Rings or Elements, but with built in very sensitive mikes, and a line in. So you can just make environmental sounds, play acoustic instruments, hold it near a running tap, or even just blow on it, whatever, mess with the sliders, the mode buttons, (sort of wood, sort of metal, a polyphonic mode, and a ‘cave’ where you can edit out specific frequencies) and play the ‘keyboard’ buttons, or feed it a line level signal from anything, and improvise on top.

The sliders are also MIDI cc controllable, haven’t had a chance to mess with that yet. You can also run alternative firmwares on it, to turn it into a Benjolin.

It ‘excites’ itself (oo-er!) at different frequencies depending on what you are feeding it/ how you set it (there’s a computer editor for its default settings that you can download if you want to ‘tune’ the frequencies it responds to, and the whole thing is open source).

Just using it as it comes though, the result is you get loads of interesting harmonic distortions and feedback, which can range from delicate and subtle to speaker and ear shredding. It’s a very instinctual tool, reminds me of the Lyra 8 in that respect, and I like it for the same reason - it requires no real formal musical skills to make interesting and musical noises. Right up my alley.

*full manual for the Wingie here, explaining the sequencer and frequency edit functions etc…

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56122b94e4b01402b90cce28/t/6273bc003452e439c2bec0ff/1651751939089/Wingie2+Manual+v1.1+-+EN.pdf

• @Daveypoo said:

I ugraded from the closet to the corner - I'm moving up in the world!

Some of us will never get out of the closet..

• @Daveypoo those clip on shelves from Ikea are the best

• @NoiseHorse said:

>

Some of us will never get out of the closet..

It took a long time for me to come out of the closet, but I feel more myself now that I've done so than I ever did before! 😁

@audiblevideo said:
    @Daveypoo those clip on shelves from Ikea are the best

They are shockingly incredibile, actually. They are the perfect size for my effect pedals - I'm blown away by how well the whole thing worked out, really.

• @DMfan said:

Thanks to all for sharing your setups, from pro’s to amateurs! Really inspiring! Here is a run-through of mine for those interested in setups.

Family’s out so I occupied a corner of the living room. Sadly I have no permanent place so I am mostly sofa/iPad/headphone based. But, it makes it a lot of fun and sparks creativity setting my gear up.

The heart of the setup is an iPad Air 4 running Roland Zenbeats. As most of us😉, the iPad is packed with too many apps. Two Launchkey Mk3 controllers, the Mini for simple key playing, and the full size for piano since I am a decently trained classical piano player since I was a kid.

With the digital domain taken care of using the iPad, I also have a UNO Synth Pro to get what I feel is that classic analog warmth and tactile feel from time to time. Audio in and out is handled by an Arturia Minifuse 2 audio interface connected to an iLoud speaker and a pair of Audio Technica headphones for mixing and mastering duties. On the sofa I use a pair of light Sony DJ monitor headphones. Everything runs on powerbanks. Finally I have a mic set with stand from BeyerDynamic for fun, I am mostly a keyboard guy. Singing is not my game.

That’s it. I am very content with this setup, it is flexible, sizeable, and it makes it a lot easier to fight GAS, since I know there is not much I can’t do…

Happy spring to you all!😁

/DMfan🇸🇪

Arghh you’re making me miss my Uno synth pro 😂

Looks like a fun setup though! The Uno synth is great as an analog accessory 👍🏻

• edited June 2023

@DMfan : that looks like a lovely spot to create in! My own studio is now very well supplied on the tech front, teenage me would not believe the toys I have to play with. But - and very much a first world problem alert here - the one thing I still lack is an ideal ‘room of one’s own’ to use it all in. As in, somewhere light and airy, looking out onto greenery.

I have the luxury of choice in a big house, three different spare rooms (attic, bedroom, dining room) to choose from, any of which can be repurposed as a full time studio (currently the dining room). The problem is, none have a particularly pleasant prospect. The attic has only skylights and is un insulated, so cold in winter. Due to construction, there is no simple fix for this. The bedroom is too small, and is set up as a guest bedroom I don’t want to lose; the dining room is gloomy, and looks out only on an austere back yard.

I am seriously thinking that my next significant studio upgrade will be moving to a house with a spare room with French windows onto a garden, or maybe a conservatory…

As I say, first world/boomer problem!

• Still a work in progress, but already a space I’m very happy to spend hours in tweaking.
    Intend purchasing a small equipment stand for front left area, to enable use of additional hardware (still to be unpacked, 2 Volcas, , TR-909) and a Behringer Edge, which was ordered last week.
    Some acoustic treatment will be added too, as it is sounding quite ‘live’.

• @gsm909 said:

Still a work in progress, but already a space I’m very happy to spend hours in tweaking.
    Intend purchasing a small equipment stand for front left area, to enable use of additional hardware (still to be unpacked, 2 Volcas, , TR-909) and a Behringer Edge, which was ordered last week.
    Some acoustic treatment will be added too, as it is sounding quite ‘live’.

What mixer is that?

Its got eq like my old vestax pmc 07 pro.

Transformer style eq and not knobs.

• @sigma79 said:
    What mixer is that?

It’s a Vestax PMC 37 Pro

• @gsm909 said:

@sigma79 said:
    What mixer is that?

It’s a Vestax PMC 37 Pro

cool beans gsm909

• @HotStrange said:

Thanks man! This is just a hobby, so I can’t justify getting a real size analog. The UNO synth pro is fully up to the task of supplying that analog feel when wanted. And, being reasonably cheap and very small, I have no issues having it but only use it sometimes.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @Svetlovska said:
    @DMfan : that looks like a lovely spot to create in!

Thanks! It is, and now I can move my minimal setup outside!

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @MarkR said:

The most recent iteration of my live rig.

At left: my homebuilt MIDI pedalbuttonboard, controlling a basic iPad (5th Gen) running four synth channels in AUM. The buttonboard is still in beta mode, and has both octave and hold buttons. It'll eventually get bluetooth.

At right: Korg Microkey 37 and NanoKontrol2 controlling an iPad Air (3rd Gen), also running four synth channels in AUM plus one loop in good old LoopyHD.

On both pads the four synth channels are running simultaneously, and I fade them up and down as needed. Audio outs feed into my Rolls MiniMix4, which can be 9V or AC powered, and has four stereo channels in (both 1/4" and 1/8") and two outs (same). It's the perfect mixer for my compact rig.

Btw, the big drum is 22x6, and is one section of a 22x18 bass drum I built up from a Keller shell thirty years ago. Having not used it in over a decade I got out my handsaw and sliced it into 6" and 12" sections. Both pack a wallop when it hard, but also a nice rumble when tapped. (I always have at least one acoustic instrument in my otherwise iOS setup.)

That looks very interesting, I would be curious to hear the music play with that set up. do you have any online somewhere?

• edited June 2023

@DMfan said:

@HotStrange said:

Thanks man! This is just a hobby, so I can’t justify getting a real size analog. The UNO synth pro is fully up to the task of supplying that analog feel when wanted. And, being reasonably cheap and very small, I have no issues having it but only use it sometimes.

/DMfan🇸🇪

Agreed! I’m actually thinking of buying it again. Wife and I are doing the tiny home thing starting in July so I won’t have space for more than my iPad, a midi controller, and one small synth. I’m thinking it’s between the Roland Aira Compact line or another Uno Synth Pro. Is yours buggy at all? It was a little buggy when I had my full size one but I assume it’s fixed now. How are the touch keys? Responsive enough?

Also does it send audio via usb or midi only? I don’t have an interface atm and the Aira line sends audio via usb which is a big bonus for me.

• edited June 2023

@HotStrange said:
    Agreed! I’m actually thinking of buying it again. Wife and I are doing the tiny home thing starting in July so I won’t have space for more than my iPad, a midi controller, and one small synth. I’m thinking it’s between the Roland Aira Compact line or another Uno Synth Pro. Is yours buggy at all? It was a little buggy when I had my full size one but I assume it’s fixed now. How are the touch keys? Responsive enough?

Also does it send audio via usb or midi only? I don’t have an interface atm and the Aira line sends audio via usb which is a big bonus for me.

Still no firmware updates beyond 2.01. Mine is working fine, although I know of bug reports online but haven’t experienced any. Touch keys are ok if just triggering sounds, I rather play it via MIDI. No audio via USB, only via the audio output.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @DMfan said:

@HotStrange said:

Still no firmware updates beyond 2.01. Mine is working fine, although I know of bug reports online but haven’t experienced any. Touch keys are ok if just triggering sounds, I rather play it via MIDI. No audio via USB, only via the audio output.

/DMfan🇸🇪

Thanks! Definitely gonna add it to the possible purchase list. My old full size one had some bugs but nothing showstopping.