Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good Headphones For IOS Wanted! Which do you use? (Poll)

Comments

• @StormJH1 said:
    Good studio monitors can "handle" bass well, but do so in a way that articulates different notes and frequencies. You should be able to hear the changes of notes in the lower frequencies without experiencing the swell and decay of a giant kick or sub bass that drowns everything out.

Yes, it's just very hard to find monitors or headphones that really do this well. Many speakers that are supposedly neutral (NS10s being the worst here) simply don't have the ability to reproduce very low frequencies.

And ironically if you mix with bass-shy monitoring (either speakers or headphones) you are in fact more likely to get bloated bass in your mix, simply because your monitoring concealed it from you. That's why the D770s can actually be really useful for checking a mix, because any uncontrolled bass will be revealed.

• edited September 2018

I think this has become a very good and informative thread about headphones.😊👍

I really didn't expect so many comments, recommendations and background information. Very helpful when it comes to buying a new headphone. Many thanks to @Telefunky , @richardyot and everyone here!! So many recommendations... 😊

In my opening question I was mainly concerned with recommendations and experiences for "mobile" headphones that are suitable for travelling. I bought my Marshall headphones mainly because of their compact size, but the sound is limit value.

I've always liked my Beyer Dynamic DT 770, but it's too big for on the go.

The first "compact" studio headphones I stumbled across here in the forum were the ATH 50x. But when I tried them out, I wasn't really convinced. In the shop, I kept switching from the 50x to the DT770. Both the sound and the seat at the head and the ears pleased me with the DT770 clearly better.

It is very difficult in the shop and in a short time to form a comprehensive judgement. For this reason, I was in the store four times within a week. But only for 30-45 minutes at a time. I couldn't make any comparisons any longer, at some point everything sounds the same...

Who has the choice, has the agony! 😎

This thread made me think about it a little longer before buying headphones. I wanted to avoid an impulse purchase. Thanks to your recommendations, I now tried out other headphones that I would never have come across. One of these headphones that appears here in the thread again and again is the Sony MDR 7506. I must confess that I did not have this at all on the monitor. Also the Sennheiser HD380 Pro was often called. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have it in stock so I couldn't try it out.

To buy headphones on suspicion from the USA is too risky, otherwise I would have liked to keep my ears in an Audio Status CB-1.

Also the Focal Spirit and the Focal Listen Pro were mentioned here. Unfortunately it was not possible to try a live one here in Berlin.

Anyway, I bought two new headphones today!

One for on the way and a second for at home. One would often be mentioned in this thread while the other one was hardly mentioned at all.

Compared to my previous mobile Marshall solution, this sounds much better here!

It has become a Sony MDR 7506!

Not because it was the cheapest headphone but because sound and comfort fit at least in the shop. Compared to the ATH50x, the Sony sits much more comfortably on my ears, an important aspect for me.

For mixing at home, I bought a Beyer Dynamic DT 880. It simply sits ultra-comfortably on my head and the sound stage simply pleases me.

In addition, I will order a Sennheiser HD 380 Pro from another dealer. I would really like to try these headphones. It's nice that all dealers grant me a 30-day right of return if I don't like it.

As already mentioned in the thread, there are no headphones that can do everything and make you happy in every situation. This was already clear to me before. E.G. Studio and HiFi headphones are two different shoes. For this reason I will also listen to headphones which are only meant for relaxed listening on the sofa. Maybe the Sennheiser HD 598 will be nice which Doug @thesoundtestroom is so enthusiastic about it?

Thanks a lot to all in this thread! I appreciate every single comment you have posted here.

Many musical greetings from Berlin!

@Iso @Daveypoo @anickt @amigomatt @icsleepers @Norbert @Telefunky @ricksteruk @flo26 @AudioGus @Kitusai @jolico @mannix @Reid @Proppa @DMan @MrSmileZ @supanorton @MobileMusic @oat_phipps @StMichaels @johnfromberkeley @99476598326 @BroCoast @Cib @studs1966 @onkey @ToMess @BlueGreenSpiral @milodeezy @Proto @aplourde @richardyot @mAxjUlien @SlowwFloww @universe @brice @marcuspresident @greengrocer @ltf3 @AndyPawlak @NoiseHorse @Korakios @thesoundtestroom @StormJH1 @cuscolima @wigglelights

• @chandroji Awesome write up, that's a hell of a wall of headphones! :open_mouth: glad we were all able to help haha

• Glad you made a purchase, and enjoy :)

• That's great @chandroji - hope you'll be happy with your purchases !
    I agree that this thread is a really useful resource.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nice - excellent choices. The 7506s aren't the be-all or end-all, but they are solid and reliable.

• Well Done on your Choice....

• @chandroji

Best of luck with your purchases. I’m sure you’ll enjoy them all.

• edited September 2018

Thanks a lot
    @icsleepers , @richardyot , @ricksteruk , @mAxjUlien , @Daveypoo , @studs1966 and @supanorton ! 😊

This was the main reason why I was looking for a new headphone- the size!
    Compared with my DT770 the Sony is really small, perfect for outside use... 👍

After a few hours using and comparing I think the MDR-7506 is worth the money. Only two thinks are not optimal for me. The spiral-cable is quite long and heavy and the high treble sound can be quite sharp in my ears. Here I like my DT770 more...

@richardyot Said:
    Sennheiser and Beyer Dynamic are traditionally warmer sounding. I wouldn't say that Sennheiser are bass-heavy, but the highs are definitely not tiring to listen too. Beyer tend to have slightly recessed mids and warm, deep lows, with crisp highs.

The Sony and the Status Audio cans are brighter, with less bass and a more pronounced treble.

IMO Sennheiser is like listening to big speakers in a carpeted room, and Sony is like listening to small speakers in a room with wooden floors.

Well explained @richardyot !👍

So no headphone is perfect in every aspect but I can life with it... 😎
    For outside using I like the Sony 7506!

• edited September 2018

@chandroji said:
    I think this has become a very good and informative thread about headphones.😊👍

I really didn't expect so many comments, recommendations and background information. Very helpful when it comes to buying a new headphone. Many thanks to @Telefunky , @richardyot and everyone here!! So many recommendations... 😊

In my opening question I was mainly concerned with recommendations and experiences for "mobile" headphones that are suitable for travelling. I bought my Marshall headphones mainly because of their compact size, but the sound is limit value.

I've always liked my Beyer Dynamic DT 770, but it's too big for on the go.

The first "compact" studio headphones I stumbled across here in the forum were the ATH 50x. But when I tried them out, I wasn't really convinced. In the shop, I kept switching from the 50x to the DT770. Both the sound and the seat at the head and the ears pleased me with the DT770 clearly better.

It is very difficult in the shop and in a short time to form a comprehensive judgement. For this reason, I was in the store four times within a week. But only for 30-45 minutes at a time. I couldn't make any comparisons any longer, at some point everything sounds the same...

Who has the choice, has the agony! 😎

This thread made me think about it a little longer before buying headphones. I wanted to avoid an impulse purchase. Thanks to your recommendations, I now tried out other headphones that I would never have come across. One of these headphones that appears here in the thread again and again is the Sony MDR 7506. I must confess that I did not have this at all on the monitor. Also the Sennheiser HD380 Pro was often called. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have it in stock so I couldn't try it out.

To buy headphones on suspicion from the USA is too risky, otherwise I would have liked to keep my ears in an Audio Status CB-1.

Also the Focal Spirit and the Focal Listen Pro were mentioned here. Unfortunately it was not possible to try a live one here in Berlin.

Anyway, I bought two new headphones today!

One for on the way and a second for at home. One would often be mentioned in this thread while the other one was hardly mentioned at all.

Compared to my previous mobile Marshall solution, this sounds much better here!

It has become a Sony MDR 7506!

Not because it was the cheapest headphone but because sound and comfort fit at least in the shop. Compared to the ATH50x, the Sony sits much more comfortably on my ears, an important aspect for me.

For mixing at home, I bought a Beyer Dynamic DT 880. It simply sits ultra-comfortably on my head and the sound stage simply pleases me.

In addition, I will order a Sennheiser HD 380 Pro from another dealer. I would really like to try these headphones. It's nice that all dealers grant me a 30-day right of return if I don't like it.

As already mentioned in the thread, there are no headphones that can do everything and make you happy in every situation. This was already clear to me before. E.G. Studio and HiFi headphones are two different shoes. For this reason I will also listen to headphones which are only meant for relaxed listening on the sofa. Maybe the Sennheiser HD 598 will be nice which Doug @thesoundtestroom is so enthusiastic about it?

Thanks a lot to all in this thread! I appreciate every single comment you have posted here.

Many musical greetings from Berlin!

@Iso @Daveypoo @anickt @amigomatt @icsleepers @Norbert @Telefunky @ricksteruk @flo26 @AudioGus @Kitusai @jolico @mannix @Reid @Proppa @DMan @MrSmileZ @supanorton @MobileMusic @oat_phipps @StMichaels @johnfromberkeley @99476598326 @BroCoast @Cib @studs1966 @onkey @ToMess @BlueGreenSpiral @milodeezy @Proto @aplourde @richardyot @mAxjUlien @SlowwFloww @universe @brice @marcuspresident @greengrocer @ltf3 @AndyPawlak @NoiseHorse @Korakios @thesoundtestroom @StormJH1 @cuscolima @wigglelights

Excellent choices, may I ask what iPad cover/stand you are using here please?

• @[Deleted User]
    Your question is welcome! You find the cover here. I’m very happy with the cover, the iPad feels very save and there is a build in Penholder, I like... 👍

https://www.amazon.com/12-9-Case-iVAPO-Magnetic-Black/dp/B073WD6L2D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536401246&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ivapo+ipad+pro+12.9+case&psc=1

• @chandroji said:
    @[Deleted User]
    Your question is welcome! You find the cover here. I’m very happy with the cover, the iPad feels very save and there is a build in Penholder, I like... 👍

https://www.amazon.com/12-9-Case-iVAPO-Magnetic-Black/dp/B073WD6L2D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536401246&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ivapo+ipad+pro+12.9+case&psc=1

Thank you 🙏 I’m gonna buy this.

• edited September 2018

The Beyer DT770 Pro's are good.

However I superlove my Beyer DT990 Pros.

Just edge slightly ahead on sound and comfort. (Most comfortable I own, bar the Bose QC35s)

Previously used the SonyMDR V6s, which the 7506's are based on. Good headphones, but the sibilance is a killer! Very sharp.

• How many headphones do people have (anything that counts as a stereo headphone that you could listen to music on)?

I’ve got four altogether.

• @u0421793 said:
    How many headphones do people have (anything that counts as a stereo headphone that you could listen to music on)?

I’ve got four as well.

• @u0421793 said:
    How many headphones do people have (anything that counts as a stereo headphone that you could listen to music on)?

Mmmm, too many :)

Sennheiser HD650
    Sennheiser HD25
    Sennheiser IE 8
    Focal Spirit Pros
    Philips SHL3850NC
    Philips SHB3060BK
    Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm
    And several pairs of Apple Earbuds

They all serve different purposes. And I want to buy a pair of Bose QC25s soon.

• edited September 2018

I’m afraid most of us will say: One is not enough! 😎
    I have 4 Headphones and I just bought (for different purposes) the 5th.

Doug @thesoundtestroom loves this one because it’s the most comfortable and nice sounding Headphone he ever used. I will see if I can say the same... 🎶

Otherwise I will return it within 14 days...

P.S.
    Doug is using a HD 598 but this model is not available anymore so I bought the new model...

• @chandroji said:
    I’m afraid most of us will say: One is not enough! 😎
    I have 4 Headphones and I just bought (for different purposes) the 5th.

Doug @thesoundtestroom loves this one because it’s the most comfortable and nice sounding Headphone he ever used. I will see if I can say the same... 🎶
    Otherwise I will return it within 14 days...

P.S.
    Doug is using a HD 598 but this model is not available anymore so I bought the new model...

These should be awesome: Sennheiser sound (which is my favourite) and open-backed for the best soundstage.

• edited September 2018

Oh wait, five! I just remembered I’ve got an old pair I leave at work. Most of my headphones leave black vinyl film on my ears, they’re that old (except my Sennheiser HD480 Classics, which have had their foam cups replaced, they’re even older – bought them in the late 80s).

• @chandroji said:
    Thanks a lot
    @icsleepers , @richardyot , @ricksteruk , @mAxjUlien , @Daveypoo , @studs1966 and @supanorton ! 😊

This was the main reason why I was looking for a new headphone- the size!
    Compared with my DT770 the Sony is really small, perfect for outside use... 👍

After a few hours using and comparing I think the MDR-7506 is worth the money. Only two thinks are not optimal for me. The spiral-cable is quite long and heavy and the high treble sound can be quite sharp in my ears. Here I like my DT770 more...

@richardyot Said:
    Sennheiser and Beyer Dynamic are traditionally warmer sounding. I wouldn't say that Sennheiser are bass-heavy, but the highs are definitely not tiring to listen too. Beyer tend to have slightly recessed mids and warm, deep lows, with crisp highs.

The Sony and the Status Audio cans are brighter, with less bass and a more pronounced treble.

IMO Sennheiser is like listening to big speakers in a carpeted room, and Sony is like listening to small speakers in a room with wooden floors.

Well explained @richardyot !👍

So no headphone is perfect in every aspect but I can life with it... 😎
    For outside using I like the Sony 7506!

The trick to get the high treble sound a little bit less is to put some paper napkins in :)

• I only have two pairs of Sennheiser HD 590 from old times but would like to compare them to AKS 702 ...

• I know these aren’t considered audio production headphones, but I’ve been using Logitech G933 headphones w Ipad lately, they sound surprisingly good, I can mix w them and not notice a real big change in sound when I play back through studio monitors. They are wireless, but not Bluetooth, they have a WiFi dongle thing you plug into your hub to iOS device, work without any setup or headache, iOS doesn’t get confused about output.
    Anyways, yes weird, but they have been great for me, and yes I have multiple other pairs of legit studio quality headphones to compare with. Just thought that might help a random soul in search of wireless headphones that work quite well for mixing/recording.

• I have used 7506’s for years and have DT880 Pro’s as well, but the last couple years I pretty much only use the Apple iphone headphones that came with my 6s when I work with my iPad or iPhone. If I’m on my desktop, 7506’s and rarely the DT880s...they are just to harsh on the high end for me.

• edited February 2019

After reading through this about a year ago, I bought the ones Audiogus mentioned, which are absolutely unbelievable and I couldn’t expect any better.

AKG k702

• @anickt said:
    Sony MDR-7506

+1

• edited February 2019

I have lots of headphones, mostly closed back, and one of my favourites is Sony MDR-7510 -- which is considered an update to the 7506, with improved freq response, larger angled drivers (50mm vs 40mm), vastly improved comfort (vs 7506), and better aesthetics (IMHO)

I'm surprised, considering how much talk there is about the 7506 here, these haven't been mentioned yet.

• edited February 2019

@tk32 said:
    I have lots of headphones, mostly closed back, and one of my favourites is Sony MDR-7510 -- which is considered an update to the 7506, with improved freq response, larger angled drivers (50mm vs 40mm), vastly improved comfort (vs 7506), and better aesthetics (IMHO)

I'm surprised, considering how much talk there is about the 7506 here, these haven't been mentioned yet.

Is the sibilance still an issue with the 7510s or did they fix that too?

@drez said:
    I have used 7506’s for years and have DT880 Pro’s as well, but the last couple years I pretty much only use the Apple iphone headphones that came with my 6s when I work with my iPad or iPhone. If I’m on my desktop, 7506’s and rarely the DT880s...they are just to harsh on the high end for me.

Strangely, I find the complete opposite. The Sony’s are harsh on the highs and the DTs are lovely. 😃

• Audio Technica ATH-911 - Old Japanese open-back headphones. They sound great on my digital piano. Also great for classic and jazz (i rarely listen to jazz). Good mids and pleasant highs. Very quiet on the low end.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Heavy on the lows but the highs can be very sharp. Good for all kinds of modern music. Hairs tend to get in and vibrate on the membrane. Comfortable cushioning.

AKG K702 - My favourite. The bass is not so punchy, but still good for all kinds of music. Very linear. The sound is crystal clear and the loudness is sufficient on most devices. But I like them even better in combination with a Superlux HA3D headphone amp. I can wear these for hours and they never feel uncomfortable. They are made of plastic, like the ATH-911, which makes them very light.

Fame HD290 - I didnt buy these, they were a gift from a friend. They are ok but sound a little canned. I dont use them often. The only fame they get covered with is the name. Very uncomfortable.

Cheap panasonic in-ears. I use these outside and they are ok for casual listening. I am thinking about buying better ones. I like to use in-ears outside.