Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good Headphones For IOS Wanted! Which do you use? (Poll)

edited September 2018 in Other

I think almost every one of you uses headphones on your iPad or iPhone.

Since I'm about to buy a new headphone, I'm very interested in your personal experiences and recommendations.

For me important is a good sound but neutral, a comfortable seat on the head and it should be suitable for travelling as far as possible.

These Headphones comes to my mind:

Beyer DT770 Pro 80 Ohm (I already own, very comfortable, nice sound but quite big for traveling?)
Beyer DT880 Edition 32 Ohm
Sennheiser 600 HD
Audio Technica ATH 50mx
AKG K-701
AKG K-712 Pro

Probably there will be other interesting headphones that I don't know yet.

Which headphones do you use and why would you recommend them? I’m very interested in your experience!

I appreciate your answers, thank you very much!t

P.S.
At the moment I use Marshall Headphones while traveling because they are quite small when folded.
But I don’t like the pressure on my ears (on ears) and I’m afraid that they are not the best for mixing.

I know most of the Headphones above are quite big for traveling. I’m afraid that there are no smaller alternatives on the market, or?

Good Headphones for IOS wanted!
  1. Which Headphone you would recommend?104 votes
    1. Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro
      13.46%
    2. Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Edition
        2.88%
    3. Sennheiser 600 HD
        7.69%
    4. Audio Technica ATH 50 mx
      36.54%
    5. AKG K-701
        4.81%
    6. AKG K-712 PRO
        3.85%
    7. Others - See comments
      30.77%

Comments

• edited September 2018

The Sennheiser 600 HD, although a great pair of headphones, are probably not a good choice because they are open backed. You will annoy the hell out of everyone around you with the sound leakage when travelling. Also no good for tracking vocals, or similar, for the same reason. I tried a pair of Focal Spirit Professional Headphones recently that i really liked. Closed back & almost noise cancelling , felt really comfortable & sounded great. Half the price of the Sennheiser's .

EDIT: The Focal Spirit Professionals have been discontinued & replaced by the Focal Listen Professionals.

• Thanks a lot for feedback @Iso ! 👍

I think you mean this one? I’m afraid this headphone is not available in Germany anymore, I found just this one (B-Ware) and quite costly...

• I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 phones - I've been buying these since the early 90's and they are a studio standard. I also use a pair of Status Audio CB-1 cans that I REALLY like, but others here have had different experiences with.

• Sony MDR-7506

• edited September 2018

Many thanks @Daveypoo and @anickt !👍
    When I was thinking about good Headphones I had never Sony in my mind. 😎
    The price is quite nice. I will going to read all the reviews at Thomann!

• The HD600 would also definitely need an amp

• I’ve got the Sennheiser HD380’s - nice flat sound, no coloring that I detect. Been using them on mixes since the EP before last very happy with them. Full over ear, closed back, come with a nice adapter and if needed parts are replaceable. $149.

• @amigomatt said:
    The HD600 would also definitely need an amp

Thanks a lot for mentioning it! 👍
    Now I think the HD 600 will not the best choice for me... 😎

• I would have a followup question on the matter actually. Is there any good headphones which don't put some pressures on the ears themselves? Cause I am using glasses and I get my ears hurting after a while. I would like to find some good headphones which don't sit on the whole ear if it's possible.

• Hi @icsleepers !

Wow so many good suggestions here, thanks a lot!
    Looks quite comfortable and the price is nice . I will have a closer look on the HD 380! 😊

• edited September 2018

@Norbert said:
    I would have a followup question on the matter actually. Is there any good headphones which don't put some pressures on the ears themselves? Cause I am using glasses and I get my ears hurting after a while. I would like to find some good headphones which don't sit on the whole ear if it's possible.

Same here! I wear glasses too!
    I also look for a comfortable headphone as well! I think it is my most important criteria besides the soundquality. That’s why I prefer OverEar Headphones...

• edited September 2018

a (half) open AKG 701/712 isn't that cool for travelling... unless the folks around you share your musical taste. These are effectively small loudspeakers ;)

With the exception from Audiotechnica your list represents 3 different sound preferences:
    the AKG, Beyer and Sennheiser 'prototype'
    If you're used to one, it will probably influence your future choice(s) forever.
    For the simple fact that adapting yourself to the choosen cans is a (long term) rather deep learning process. You can work with any of those - for a similiar price they deliver similiar results, but each with a specific soundprint. Which you've learned to compensate over time so for you the cans act 'neutral'.

As far as I'm concerned I'm totally tuned to AKG's classic models, which ended with the 1st generation of the K701.
    Starting with the 2nd release (only indicated by a black package versus the former grey-green design) they became more Harman, less AKG (simplified bottomline).

The main difference: the old series is totally analytic, which can be annoying for some (potential) customers.
    So they improved bass response by a simple piece of cellotape that sealed an internal section... (which former was a common mod by hifi freaks)
    As you may guess: the new generation sounds much more 'pleasing' and it wasn't a quality loss in any way.

The old version was frequently critized for it's lack of bass response - there was no boom at all, but a very precise low end (I used to play bass through K501s).
    K701s rule on all acoustic instruments, vocals, Jazz, Rock, Country, Ambient (for their precise soundstage), general synths - but they lack impact on deep/sub bass (if you're after monitoring a club result).
    But it's possible to predict the result (with some experience) if you mix such a track on 701s.

ps: the AKGs are very (!) comfortable to wear, no problems using them for hours.
    btw all types (AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser) mentioned feature exchangeable ear-pads over a long period of time as spare parts.

• @chandroji I CANNOT really wear the HD380’s with glasses, though in all fairness I don’t think I’ve ever had a pair of over ear phones I could with :(

Without glasses though VERY comfortable

• edited September 2018

I've recently got a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50x.

I think they sound really good - though I prefer to mix on my old HHB Circle 5 monitors. I think the ATH 50 might be slightly over emphasised in the bass and treble - but it's no big deal.. you get used to the tonal response that you're using regularly after a while.

I do find they grip my head a little too tightly... perhaps this is because they are still fairly new - I seem to be able to cope with wearing them for longer periods now than when I first got them. Had them on for nearly two hours making rough mixes yesterday and only felt slightly head squished.

• Senheeiser momentum.
    Works great with an ipad.

• edited September 2018

@icsleepers said:
    I’ve got the Sennheiser HD380’s - nice flat sound, no coloring that I detect. Been using them on mixes since the EP before last very happy with them. Full over ear, closed back, come with a nice adapter and if needed parts are replaceable. $149.

I love these headphones (probably the fifth or sixth different kind I have owned in my life and I am sticking with this model now) and do wear glasses with them but my choice of glasses have super flat arms. Not interested in blocky hipster specs.

But yah over the past six years I have replaced the foam pads twice, likely from wear due to glasses.

As for comfort they are AMAZING for me. I can and do use them from morning till night (at least 10+ hours, (8 working, 2 commuting, +more at home)) and have no ear fatigue anymore.

Those soft foam pads will wear out though. Tis the price of super comfort.

• Koss porta pro is perfect for me with an iPad except I loose some hairs each time I pull it off. Fortunatly it is rarely off.

• edited September 2018

@Telefunky Said:
    With the exception from Audiotechnica your list represents 3 different sound preferences:
    the AKG, Beyer and Sennheiser 'prototype'
    If you're used to one, it will probably influence your future choice(s) forever.

@Telefunky
    Thanks a lot for your very interesting post! Very helpful!
    I own a Beyerdynamic DT 381 for a very long time now, since two years also an DT 770 PRO so i think I understand what you mean. I mentioned the AKG because I’ve heard they play in the same league as the Beyer Dynamic.

Again, thanks a lot for stopping by and sharing your experience!
    Very much appreciate! 😊

• edited September 2018

I’ve had the HD-600 for over 20 years. Changed the cable twice, but they still sound amazing. On the MacBook they get really loud, but on the iPhone they only go up to a reasonable safe listening volume. Look after your ears, especially if you love music.

• edited September 2018

@chandroji said:

Sony MDR 7506 The best and cheapest headphone for audioproduction since 1991 and still going strong. A 2018 written review here: https://www.soundguys.com/sony-mdr-7506-review-16336/

And video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=F53fDiajuRs

• @ricksteruk said:
    I've recently got a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50x.

I think they sound really good - though I prefer to mix on my old HHB Circle 5 monitors. I think the ATH 50 might be slightly over emphasised in the bass and treble - but it's no big deal.. you get used to the tonal response that you're using regularly after a while.

I do find they grip my head a little too tightly... perhaps this is because they are still fairly new - I seem to be able to cope with wearing them for longer periods now than when I first got them. Had them on for nearly two hours making rough mixes yesterday and only felt slightly head squished.

Hi @ricksteruk , thanks a lot for your reply!

I came across the ATH 50 because they are mentioned in some other threads here in the forum.

Few days ago I went in a local music store to try them out. I also felt that they are quit tightly on my head. After testing a few others for comparison I liked the sound but maybe it was too much bass in the sound. Anyway, after 45 minutes I went out and I didn’t bought anything. It’s quite difficult to choose the right one. 😎

• My AKG 240 bit the dust after many years, and I discovered that the company had been sold and the quality is suffering. I considered the Sony MDR7506 until I found out it doesn't have a detachable cord. So I kept looking until I found.out that the Status Audio CB-1 is increasingly considered by many to be one of the best studio headphones under $100. There are a ton of YouTube videos about them.

Note this review.

Status Audio does no marketing and sells their headphones direct from their website. They claim they can provide higher quality at a lower cost by eliminating the middleman.

There's a 30% off sale going on now. You can return them within 30 days.

• Sony MDR-7506. Swear by them and can get a mix down to little or no frequency surprises when A/B'ing with true (speaker) monitors.

• @Reid said:
    My AKG 240 bit the dust after many years, and I discovered that the company had been sold and the quality is suffering. I considered the Sony MDR7506 until I found out it doesn't have a detachable cord. So I kept looking until I found.out that the Status Audio CB-1 is increasingly considered by many to be one of the best studio headphones under $100. There are a ton of YouTube videos about them.

Note this review.

Status Audio does no marketing and sells their headphones direct from their website. They claim they can provide higher quality at a lower cost by eliminating the middleman.

I like my CB-1 cans a lot. I choose them the most over my MDR-7506 cans.

• Another Sony MDR-7506 recommendation from me. It travels very well (even folds up a little), it’s built well, and it even comes with a list of every single part down to every plastic tab etc in case something needs replaced. You’ll also hear stories about people having pairs of them that last 20+ years. I’m no expert on what frequencies it might exaggerate, but I think it is not exactly completely flat but really pretty flat considering they are headphones and are under 100USD.

Also, someone said something about needing headphones that are comfortable while wearing glasses. I wear glasses and find them quite comfortable. I forget they are on if the cable isn’t getting in my way for one reason or another. My only other experience with headphones are some lower end AKG and some Tascam and they are all now in a headphone graveyard with broken connections that are a serious pain solder new ones on.

• Audiotechnica m50x

• edited September 2018

@Reid said:
    My AKG 240 bit the dust after many years, and I discovered that the company had been sold and the quality is suffering. I considered the Sony MDR7506 until I found out it doesn't have a detachable cord. So I kept looking until I found.out that the Status Audio CB-1 is increasingly considered by many to be one of the best studio headphones under $100. There are a ton of YouTube videos about them.

Note this review.

Hi @Reid ! Many thanks for your suggestions! 👍
    It seems that the CB-1 can be a interesting headphone, so I visited their page to have a look. But I’m afraid it can be to difficult to buy and returning them if I’m not happy with them. I’m in Germany and Status Audio is an US Company so i think it’s not the easiest way to buy them... 😎

@Daveypoo

• @chandroji
    I used the Focal Spirit Professionals for a few years, but the headband developed cracks, which was a pretty common problem. To their credit, Focal replaced them with another pair, which also developed the same cracks. Focal then sent me their newest closed back headphones, called Focal Listen Professionals. To my ears, they are very flat and detailed. They are also much more comfortable than the Professionals, fold up, and come with a nice travel case.

Focal’s customer service has been absolutely incredible for me.

• edited September 2018

@Proppa said:
    Sony MDR-7506. Swear by them and can get a mix down to little or no frequency surprises when A/B'ing with true (speaker) monitors.

@DMan said:
    Another Sony MDR-7506 recommendation from me. It travels very well (even folds up a little), it’s built well, and it even comes with a list of every single part down to every plastic tab etc in case something needs replaced. You’ll also hear stories about people having pairs of them that last 20+ years. I’m no expert on what frequencies it might exaggerate, but I think it is not exactly completely flat but really pretty flat considering they are headphones and are under 100USD.

Also, someone said something about needing headphones that are comfortable while wearing glasses. I wear glasses and find them quite comfortable. I forget they are on if the cable isn’t getting in my way for one reason or another. My only other experience with headphones are some lower end AKG and some Tascam and they are all now in a headphone graveyard with broken connections that are a serious pain solder new ones on.

@mannix said:

@chandroji said:

Sony MDR 7506 The best and cheapest headphone for audioproduction since 1991 and still going strong. A 2018 written review here: https://www.soundguys.com/sony-mdr-7506-review-16336/

And video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=F53fDiajuRs

Im really surprised that so many of you recommend the Sony MDR 7506!
    I will definitely try them out the next days...

Together with the Sennheiser HD 380 😊
    Your comment sounds very good to me @AudioGus !

@AudioGus said:

@icsleepers said:
    I’ve got the Sennheiser HD380’s - nice flat sound, no coloring that I detect. Been using them on mixes since the EP before last very happy with them. Full over ear, closed back, come with a nice adapter and if needed parts are replaceable. $149.

I love these headphones (probably the fifth or sixth different kind I have owned in my life and I am sticking with this model now) and do wear glasses with them but my choice of glasses have super flat arms. Not interested in blocky hipster specs.

But yah over the past six years I have replaced the foam pads twice, likely from wear due to glasses.

As for comfort they are AMAZING for me. I can and do use them from morning till night (at least 10+ hours, (8 working, 2 commuting, +more at home)) and have no ear fatigue anymore.

Those soft foam pads will wear out though. Tis the price of super comfort.

Thanks a lot for your recommendations! 👍😊

• @supanorton said:
    @chandroji
    I used the Focal Spirit Professionals for a few years, but the headband developed cracks, which was a pretty common problem. To their credit, Focal replaced them with another pair, which also developed the same cracks. Focal then sent me their newest closed back headphones, called Focal Listen Professionals. To my ears, they are very flat and detailed. They are also much more comfortable than the Professionals, fold up, and come with a nice travel case.

Focal’s customer service has been absolutely incredible for me.

Useful info about the Focal Spirit Professionals. They gave me a pair to use in GAK the other day & completely failed to mention any problems with them. Just checked Gearslutz & lots of posts about this problem on there. Did they fix the problem, or is it still an issue?