Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good Headphones For IOS Wanted! Which do you use? (Poll)

Comments

• @supanorton said:
    @chandroji
    I used the Focal Spirit Professionals for a few years, but the headband developed cracks, which was a pretty common problem. To their credit, Focal replaced them with another pair, which also developed the same cracks. Focal then sent me their newest closed back headphones, called Focal Listen Professionals. To my ears, they are very flat and detailed. They are also much more comfortable than the Professionals, fold up, and come with a nice travel case.

Focal’s customer service has been absolutely incredible for me.

Hi @supanorton !
    One of the biggest music stores in Germany is based in Berlin just 10 minutes away from my place. But sadly it seems they didn’t have any Focal Spirit Headphone on stock. I would love to try them out...

Thanks a lot for your feedback, very appreciate! 👍

• Studio Monitor headphones - Audio Technica ATH-M50xBL:
    https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/c8feef8909dbc020/index.html

Open-back headphones - Koss KSC35:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000051SCZ

Ear-buds (good bass) - Klipsch R6i:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZDX8HF

Also good bass in Beats Studio headphones.

• @Iso said:

@supanorton said:
    @chandroji
    I used the Focal Spirit Professionals for a few years, but the headband developed cracks, which was a pretty common problem. To their credit, Focal replaced them with another pair, which also developed the same cracks. Focal then sent me their newest closed back headphones, called Focal Listen Professionals. To my ears, they are very flat and detailed. They are also much more comfortable than the Professionals, fold up, and come with a nice travel case.

Useful info about the Focal Spirit Professionals. They gave me a pair to use in GAK the other day & completely failed to mention any problems with them. Just checked Gearslutz & lots of posts about this problem on there. Did they fix the problem, or is it still an issue?

Focal has discontinued the Spirtit Pros and replaced them with the Listen Pros. Totally different design. They appear to be more sturdy and durable than the Spirit Pros. Many users, including @richardyot have been using the Spirit Pros for years without issue.

I’ve seen many forum threads about the cracks, and people claiming Focal refused to help. That was not my experience. They replaced two sets of headphones for me free of charge. I’m very pleased with the Focal Listen Pros.

• @chandroji said:

@supanorton said:
    @chandroji

Hi @supanorton !
    One of the biggest music stores in Germany is based in Berlin just 10 minutes away from my place. But sadly it seems they didn’t have any Focal Spirit Headphone on stock. I would love to try them out...

Thanks a lot for your feedback, very appreciate! 👍

The Focal Spirit Professionals have been discontinued and replaced by Focal Listen Professionals. Does the store carry the Focal Listen Professionals? To my ears, they’re every bit as good as the Spirit Pros.

• They have them in stock @supanorton ! 😊
    I think from all Headphones in this thread they are the costly ones... 😎

• edited September 2018

@supanorton said:

@Iso said:

@supanorton said:
    @chandroji

Useful info about the Focal Spirit Professionals. They gave me a pair to use in GAK the other day & completely failed to mention any problems with them. Just checked Gearslutz & lots of posts about this problem on there. Did they fix the problem, or is it still an issue?

Focal has discontinued the Spirtit Pros and replaced them with the Listen Pros. Totally different design. They appear to be more sturdy and durable than the Spirit Pros. Many users, including @richardyot have been using the Spirit Pros for years without issue.

I’ve seen many forum threads about the cracks, and people claiming Focal refused to help. That was not my experience. They replaced two sets of headphones for me free of charge. I’m very pleased with the Focal Listen Pros.

Thanks for the info. It's quite possible that I was given the Focal Listen Pro's to try at GAK seeing as the spirits have been discontinued I probably got them mixed up with each other. Good info to have though, as i was looking at second hand phones on E-bay, & would have bought the wrong ones.without this vital bit of intel. Thanks! :)

• @anickt said:
    Sony MDR-7506

Same. Will never switch. Sound the best to me for recording/mixing or for just listening to music.

• Sony MDR-7506

Great Price, Very comfortable, sound great! Tried and Tested. I see many amongst this thread that own them too. Good choice:)

• @chandroji said:
    Hi @ricksteruk , thanks a lot for your reply!

I came across the ATH 50 because they are mentioned in some other threads here in the forum.

Few days ago I went in a local music store to try them out. I also felt that they are quit tightly on my head. After testing a few others for comparison I liked the sound but maybe it was too much bass in the sound. Anyway, after 45 minutes I went out and I didn’t bought anything. It’s quite difficult to choose the right one. 😎

Yeah it's hard to choose - I'd definitely give those Sony MDR 7506 a listen too. Good Luck :)

• Audio Technica ATH 50mx

• keep it budget over here with Samson SR850, Tascam TH02, and Sony MDR 7506.

• edited September 2018

DT770

I've had many studio cans and these are my favourite by far. They're far better made than everything else and the isolation is great.

I really hate Sony MDR7506.

• @chandroji said:
    Hi @Reid ! Many thanks for your suggestions! 👍
    It seems that the CB-1 can be a interesting headphone, so I visited their page to have a look. But I’m afraid it can be to difficult to buy and returning them if I’m not happy with them. I’m in Germany and Status Audio is an US Company so i think it’s not the easiest way to buy them... 😎

@Daveypoo

Did you check if they're on Amazon in Germany? They sell in the US through Amazon too.

• edited September 2018

I use the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm. They working great on my iPhone as well. I prefer open headphones.

• @DMan said:
    Another Sony MDR-7506 recommendation from me. It travels very well (even folds up a little), it’s built well, and it even comes with a list of every single part down to every plastic tab etc in case something needs replaced. You’ll also hear stories about people having pairs of them that last 20+ years. I’m no expert on what frequencies it might exaggerate, but I think it is not exactly completely flat but really pretty flat considering they are headphones and are under 100USD.

Agreed on the MDR-7506. I have probably 3-5 sets of affordable headphones I leave throughout my house and use for a variety of things. Sennheisers became my favorite because they seem to handle guitar frequencies well. I have HD201, HD428, and HD280Pro's, though only the latter even approaches "studio quality".

The MDR-7506 can be a little shrill with guitar, but is GREAT with iOS music generally, and they're so comfortable. Headphones have obviously become more bass-oriented since 1991, but for sound production, you don't want that. The MDR-7506 handles bass frequencies clearly and articulately, and accurately relay the frequency dynamics of music...they continue to be widely used for good reason.

• KRK KNS 8400 for a sleeper pick.

PROS
    Extremely comfortable
    Closed-back without sounding boxy
    Inexpensive
    Non fatiguing highs with excellent extension
    Translate well to the Rockits (unsurprisingly)

CONS
    Not a looker

• For mixing and mastering you want open or semi open back headphones. Closed back headphones are for monitoring insteuments/vocals

• edited September 2018

I voted for the audio technica m50 since there wasn't an option for the m40. I haven't had to use the backup cable yet and use them almost daily for around 4 years! Price on these is great and things translates well when I compare on my monitors.

• DT 990 pro. They sound loud enough for my needs. If I want more volume I connect it to the zoom u22.

• @StormJH1 said:

@DMan said:
    Another Sony MDR-7506 recommendation from me. It travels very well (even folds up a little), it’s built well, and it even comes with a list of every single part down to every plastic tab etc in case something needs replaced. You’ll also hear stories about people having pairs of them that last 20+ years. I’m no expert on what frequencies it might exaggerate, but I think it is not exactly completely flat but really pretty flat considering they are headphones and are under 100USD.

Agreed on the MDR-7506. I have probably 3-5 sets of affordable headphones I leave throughout my house and use for a variety of things. Sennheisers became my favorite because they seem to handle guitar frequencies well. I have HD201, HD428, and HD280Pro's, though only the latter even approaches "studio quality".

The MDR-7506 can be a little shrill with guitar, but is GREAT with iOS music generally, and they're so comfortable. Headphones have obviously become more bass-oriented since 1991, but for sound production, you don't want that. The MDR-7506 handles bass frequencies clearly and articulately, and accurately relay the frequency dynamics of music...they continue to be widely used for good reason.

Add one more to the Sony MDR-7506 tally. I've had my pair for 25 years(?), they have been on tour and in studios and travelled all around the world and they are still going strong (had to replace the ear covers a couple of times; I recommend 3rd party velour covers instead of the slick Sony parts, as the Sony ones will eventually disintegrate and get little bits of black film everywhere**. Granted this is after several years of use, but still...).

The 7506s have excellent isolation yet are very comfortable to wear (and I do wear glasses).

They are a little hyped in the upper-mids. Personally, I like this (I detest bass-heavy playback systems) and they do work well for translating mixes, but as StormJH1 mentioned, with crispy guitar tones they can be a little fatiguing at higher volume levels (but at lower listening levels they sound great).

Are there better headphones? Sure, but no better value - they work really well for tracking and mixing and they are very sturdy.

** while the actual ear pads of the replacements are velour, the bit that attaches to the headphone had the same slick film. This did degrade and did get everywhere; if you look at the macro shots of my Quantum video you can see a bit stuck to my finger... :confused:

• A word of caution about asking for headphone advice on the internet: the world is split pretty evenly between people who like bright headphones and people who like dark headphones (bright = emphasized treble, lacking in bass, and dark = muted treble and/or emphasized bass). Everyone hears slightly differently and has different tastes, and it's important to know where you are on that spectrum if you are going to take people's advice.

It's not really possible to make neutral headphones BTW, because a flat sound would sound really thin and lacking in bass because we are used to listening in real spaces where high frequencies get absorbed - for example listening to the same speakers in a room with carpets vs. a room with wooden flooring or tiles is going to be markedly different due to the way that the highs would be absorbed by the carpet and reflected by the harder surfaces. So all headphones need to make some frequency compensation in order not to sound weird. The debate is how much compensation should there be?

Some people hate bass-heavy cans, and some people hate treble-heavy cans. That's why there is a difference between the house sound of Sennheiser, AKG, Audio-Technica, Sony etc...

Sennheiser and Beyer Dynamic are traditionally warmer sounding. I wouldn't say that Sennheiser are bass-heavy, but the highs are definitely not tiring to listen too. Beyer tend to have slightly recessed mids and warm, deep lows, with crisp highs. (Neither of these brands are going to be bass-heavy like Beats, which are ridiculous and sound awful.)

The Sony and the Status Audio cans are brighter, with less bass and a more pronounced treble.

IMO Sennheiser is like listening to big speakers in a carpeted room, and Sony is like listening to small speakers in a room with wooden floors.

There is no right or wrong type of headphone, but personal preference plays a very significant part in your final choice, and it's really important to listen to any headphones you plan to buy first so that you can decide if they are right for you.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

I bought the Sony 7506's and returned them: bad bass response...
    I knew they had a neutral sound, but damn.. bass is almost missing..

Maybe the're good for checking a mix for mid and hi tones.. but for producing music? No..

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

I bought ATH-M30x instead as I didn't wanted to spend much money.. Same story, bass responsive isn't that great. I always eq too much low end when using them to have a 'normal' sound.

I should've have bought the M50x, I assume they sound okay...

• @ToMess said:
    For mixing and mastering you want open or semi open back headphones. Closed back headphones are for monitoring insteuments/vocals

I’ve heard this but never understood why ?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • And don't buy into the Audio Technica ATH 50 mx hype. Just read this review that I can fully support. And yes, I had these headphones too. The mids are really really awful don't buy them. But yes you should try them and compare them with ie your Beyer DT770 and you'll hear they are really shit.

Review: Here's Why The Audio Technica ATH-M50X is a Terrible Headphone
    Explains also the trick of Audio Technica's clever marketing and why they are so hyped.
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/898207-heres-why-the-audio-technica-ath-m50x-is-a-terrible-headphone/

• edited September 2018

Also if @chandroji is used to listening to Beyer Dynamic DT770s, the Sony 7506 is going to be a radically different experience :) Like where did all that bass go?

The DT770s go really deep, they're nicknamed the Darth Beyers. They're really handy for checking the low-end on a mix (I've owned a pair for decades). And that's another thing about bright cans or even near-field speakers: they often don't go low enough to really examine a mix, because the bass is simply not there. If you have any low-end mud in your mix and you listen on a pair of DT770s you will know all about it :)