Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good Headphones For IOS Wanted! Which do you use? (Poll)

Comments

• I equate ios w mobility so for me noise cancelling headphones are an absolute must for wherever I may find myself.The Sony’s 1000x headphones are a bit pricey at $350 but worth it .

• @tja, those seem incredible. And that you can adjust the EQ with an app. Over the top. However, they are Bluetooth and not available in Turkey. The search goes on! Thanks.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @tja, those seem incredible. And that you can adjust the EQ with an app. Over the top. However, they are Bluetooth and not available in Turkey. The search goes on! Thanks.

Oh, I'm sorry, did not noticed they had no cabled solution, which I also prefer greatly!

• @LinearLineman said:
    I was curious about the 7506s as they are available in Turkey, but this review seems to point out drawbacks...

Got my first pair just last year, quite lovely to my ears & have rapidly become my go to set over previous cans.

• I'm in love with DT770 pro.

Every day more happy with them

• sony mdr 7510

• Looking at Shure se215s now, @tja. There are over the ear Shure 215 headphones that are good apparently. Not sure if there is a connection..

• tjatja
    edited February 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    Looking at Shure se215s now, @tja. There are over the ear Shure 215 headphones that are good apparently. Not sure if there is a connection..

I have Over Ear Sennheiser HD 590, but wanted to try the AKS 702 as mixing headphones, both at home.
    The In Ear would be for mobile use.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 phones - I've been buying these since the early 90's and they are a studio standard. I also use a pair of Status Audio CB-1 cans that I REALLY like, but others here have had different experiences with.

I have two pairs, one for mix station and one for my synth and guitar rig. Would replace if they busted. One pair is 10 years old though.

• slightly askew to the topic but ... inquisitively picked up a set of KZ ZSN in ear monitors for around a tenner recently, impressive performance for their size & cost

https://primeaudio.org/kz-zsn-earphone-review/

• Well, picking up this thread that has been going for two years. Interesting that comments in 2018 seem to yearn for what was eventually released as Tonebuster’s Morphit.

I actually like the sound of the Apple earbuds I have been using, but the mixing results are so disparate with my jbl 305 monitors that I am trying again. So I got a pair of Sony mdr 7506s and they sound really good, but for me, unfortunately, they are pretty uncomfortable. I might get a pair of replacement velour earpieces, but not until I try out the Beyer DT770 Pro 80 ohms. Interestingly, on a more recent thread someone said they run their Beyer’s thru Morphit converting them to the profile of Focusrite to get a more neutral result similar to decent monitors.

Anyway, I am no longer in Turkey where the selection was limited. The headphone universe is all within reach now!

@chandroji started this thread and has not posted for quite a while now. He was due for neck surgery. I hope he is okay.

• Sony 7506 are great for mixing and I love mine. I feel like most the negative reviews are from people who are trying to use them to listen to music instead of mixing

• SONY MDR-7506.

I'm working on soundtracks for movies that will be shown in theater,
    The composition is monitored by KRK VXT4, and the mix is confirmed by SONY MDR-7506.

Sony MDR-7506 closely resembles the sound of a professionally tuned theater.
    I would like to change the monitor speaker to a model with sound quality close to 7506, but I’ve not found it yet.

• Yes, I have no issues with the sound of the Sony’s. Just the fit.

• edited February 2020

IMO the MDR-7506 is the headphone equivalent of the Yamaha NS10, great at revealing high-end details in a very unforgiving way, but not in any way a neutral headphone. And that's not a subjective opinion, the measurements confirm it:

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/gear-reviews/studio-headphone-review-sony-mdr-7506/

It certainly has its uses, and like the NS10 it also has a devoted following amongst audio engineers, including many well-known ones, so I'm not disparaging them - just pointing out that they are very coloured. There is a misconception that the bright sound favoured by audio engineers is neutral, but it really isn't. I think that for some people mixing on very unforgiving speakers or headphones helps to create mixes that translate well to other systems, because you have to work to make your mixes sound good.

Of course there is no such thing as a truly neutral headphone, and differences in ear anatomy and hearing health/damage between individuals add to the complications, but something like the Sennheiser HD650 is way closer to a neutral sound than the MDR-7506 (although the Senns have both slightly rolled-off highs and lows, but at least they don't have the very large peaks of the Sonys).

• edited February 2020

@LinearLineman said:
    Interestingly, on a more recent thread someone said they run their Beyer’s thru Morphit converting them to the profile of Focusrite to get a more neutral result similar to decent monitors.

Maybe you're referring to this post of mine? But yes with Morphit I can get the Beyers to sound roughly similar to the Focal Spirit Pros (not in simulation mode, though, just regular correction).

I've since rebought a pair of Sennheiser HD650 which I had foolishly sold a couple of years ago. I've owned a lot of headphones in my time (and I still own far too many!) and these are the best I've ever heard. The corrected Beyers and Focal Spirits are pretty close, but the Sennheisers are better mostly by virtue of being open-backed so you don't get that bass resonance that closed headphones have, so the bass textures are far more accurate (to my ears anyway).

I think that in conjunction with Morphit the Beyers are pretty good (and of course the MDR-7506 will be too). Without correction the Beyers have a boomy low end, a spiky high-end, and slightly recessed mids, but they're pretty nice headphones for listening to bass-heavy music and EDM. Weirdly though I don't find them that comfortable for long listening sessions, the earcups are huge but quite shallow so they touch the outside of my ears.

Amongst the several headphones I own (6 pairs of over-ear, plus some IEMS and various Apple earbuds) the most comfortable are the Bose QC25s and the Sennheiser HD650s. The Focal Spirit Pros are not comfortable, and the Beyers in the middle.

• Ha, my vote goes for Panasonic RP-HTX7 consumer cans. They sound fairly even in terms of frequency response, likely slightly accentuated bass but as long as you know it you can adjust for it.

It’s been discussed here before but no matter what cans you have your ears are still a subjective entity. If you get cans with flat response but you’re a bass head, you’ll end up bumping up bass to your liking and end up with unbalanced mix. So basically you will still need to learn how to manage the situation no matter how much you spend on the equipment. It is arguably easier to find a decent pair of cans now than 20 years ago albeit the amount on offer can be very confusing.

• @chandroji said:

Doug is using a HD 598 but this model is not available anymore so I bought the new model...

I have the HD598's and I agree they are super comfy and have quite an open sound stage which I like.

Another pair that I also use frequently is the ATH-M50X's they are easier to drive and when I'm only using the iPad I use them.
    The HD598's are hooked to my Steinberg UR-242 together with a pair iLoud Micro Monitors which cover my needs for monitoring more than well enough.

• @richardyot
    I've since rebought a pair of Sennheiser HD650 which I had foolishly sold a couple of years ago. I've owned a lot of headphones in my time (and I still own far too many!) and these are the best I've ever heard.

Yeah! I have HD650 too, great headphones ! It doesn't happen too often that i need to correct something in mix when infine tune it HD650's and then i listen it on my Presonus E8 monitors...

• @dendy said:

@richardyot
    I've since rebought a pair of Sennheiser HD650 which I had foolishly sold a couple of years ago. I've owned a lot of headphones in my time (and I still own far too many!) and these are the best I've ever heard.

Yeah! I have HD650 too, great headphones ! It doesn't happen too often that i need to correct something in mix when infine tune it HD650's and then i listen it on my Presonus E8 monitors...

Hopefully I've learnt my lesson, never sell a good pair of headphones, you'll only regret it then have to buy them again a few years later. I did the same thing with the Sennheiser IE8s ten years ago: bought them, sold them, and then bought them again. It's much more expensive to do it this way 🙄

Actually the reason I originally sold my HD650s was because I was running them with an amp, and I found it all a hassle, but in fact you mentioned you were running them straight out of the iPad so that got me thinking I could use them in a more convenient way. I have a Dragonfly Black that I bought to use with my phone (iPhone XR, no headphone jack) and I figured it might be able to run the HD650s as well. It does it just fine, and in fact so does the iPad Pro headphone jack, I found a pretty convincing test of that on Youtube:

• go for ATH.
    still the best choice for me after 20 years of using proper headphones...
    https://eu.audio-technica.com/headphones

• edited February 2020

@richardyot
    but in fact you mentioned you were running them straight out of the iPad

yeah, and i'm using them not just directly using headphone jack (on ipad mini5), but also on iPhone7 using lightning ->jack adapter - it works like a charm ;)

• @Samu said:

@chandroji said:

Doug is using a HD 598 but this model is not available anymore so I bought the new model...

I have the HD598's and I agree they are super comfy and have quite an open sound stage which I like.

Another pair that I also use frequently is the ATH-M50X's they are easier to drive and when I'm only using the iPad I use them.
    The HD598's are hooked to my Steinberg UR-242 together with a pair iLoud Micro Monitors which cover my needs for monitoring more than well enough.

I love my ATH-M50x’s too. Favorite headphones is like favorite car, depends on how you like to ride.

• My AKG K702s are pretty comfortable to wear.

Not too heavy and the open backs means that your ears don't heat up liked closed backs.

You can hear and be heard with them though. ..and they are way too bulky to wear for sports :wink:

• I have tried the ATH M50x because I like the design and they sound good.
    But these are the most uncomfortable headphones I have tried. I wouldn't even want to use them for half an hour but maybe you need children-size ears for them to work well.

• edited December 2022

when i started my beat making journey on an iPhone including mix and mastering my full beat projects, i stated using my sony 7506, ath-m50 and the status cb1 and even though i had plenty of time using them, any projects that i made using them ether sounded too bassy, moddy, or too harsh, when i listen back on a house or car stereo system, but when i bought me the Grado sr80e just to try them out just for listening to music because they wasn’t meant for mixing and mastering music, until one day i used them to mix and master a beat project just to find out how my mixed and mastered final track will sound like, which i end up really surprise of the end result, because when i tested the track on a house, car and even on a studio monitors and my other headphones it sounded better then any other mixed and mastered iphone beat that i ever made, so from there on i always use my Grado SR 80e for my iphone beat projects, some times i used the status just to reference the sub part of the mix and master, but other then that i only use just my Grado sr80e when i doing a beat project so i do recommend, the Grado SR60e,60x, 80e, 80x openback headphones for your ios music project, they are great for that in my opinion

• I tried a lot of headphones and if you are looking for something really cheap but that sounds great, look at these on Amazon. They sounds as good as many of my headphone that worth 5 times the price of theses:

50MM Drivers Studio Headphones MAONO Over Ear Stereo Monitor Closed Back Headphones for Music, DJ, Podcast (Black)(AU-MH601)

• edited December 2022

For couch duty and casual listening when around the family I’ve for years used a cheap pair of Sony MDR-V150 DJ/monitor headphones, works great. They are not the most comfy but good enough, and are easily stowed away.

When setting up my little mobile studio and really playing around, I use a pair of Audio Technical ATH-M40x’s.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Damn, another three years have passed since this thread was last active. My Sony 7506s have worn out ear pads and Istanbul is a distant memory. BUT… @chandroji is back!

• edited December 2022

@Daveypoo said:
    I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 phones - I've been buying these since the early 90's and they are a studio standard. I also use a pair of Status Audio CB-1 cans that I REALLY like, but others here have had different experiences with.

Same (Sony MDR-7506).