Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quincy Jones Doesn’t Pull Any Punches

Comments

• Poor Michael. He was a very sad and lonely and confused guy. “Freak” is an ugly word. I’m no fan, musically, but I think he was a supremely tragic figure.

• edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Purpan said:

@Zen210507 said:

Absolutely. I love it when people in the public eye stop playing the game. Right or wrong in what they say, it’s always entertaining.

Entertaining, yes, but maybe only on paper. He does sound like the sort of guy you secretly hope sits down next to someone else on the bus.

:D :D :D :D :D :'(
    you killed me

• @Zen210507 said:

@Max23 said:
    its always funny to see young Michael Jackson videos and you remember yeah he used to have black skin and wasn't such a freak

>

Also, that his voice was once this good.

https://youtu.be/IHv9o91oNbE

considering he lived in a world full of skin color freaks, it's not surprising

• @Zen210507 said:

@Peter321 said:
    Haven't read it yet, but the examples of him changing subject randomly and the crazy stories makes me wonder if he's actually suffering from early dementia?

>

Nah, seems more like his idea of how to throw the interviewer off guard, along with the stuff about not talking in public. I mean, everyone has a JFK theory, and the auhorities don’t care how much it is discussed.

Note at the bottom: Edited together from two conversations. We don't really have any idea the order of anything.

• I've heard people say that folks suffering from dementia often have really clear , detailed memories of the past, and that it's the present that is mostly affected.

• @Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I haven’t read this one, but read another in the Guardian yesterday where he said about The Beatles:

“They were the worst musicians in the world,” he told interviewer David Marchese. “They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard.”

Obviously they’re not up to session musician standards, but really, what a stupid statement that is.

>

Yeah, he repeats that in the article. Made me think, okay how many great songs did the Beatles write, together and as individuals, how many number ones in how many countries, what is their influence on the world.

Compare that to what QJ has been responsible for, however great, and the winner is...

Beatles were a great band (greatest?) but he wasn't talking about their songwriting or cultural importance or influence, he was talking about their musicianship. He didn't pass any sort of judgement on them as a band. For context, in the same era (and same part of the interview), he talks about Jimi Hendrix chickening out when it came to playing in his band at the time. Hendrix!

"He was nervous to play with Toots Thielemans, Herbie Hancock, Hubert Laws, Roland Kirk"

All four of them, and Q for that matter, are fucking tremendous, virtuoso type players. And most of his records were filled with that caliber of player. Add a little typical musician jealousy ("wtf are they so famous with their four chords and not us?") and the impudent sass of a tremendously successful 85 year old man and well...

Also, another context for an 85 year old black musician: huge parts of the British Invasion involved ripping off black American music/musicians. Obviously, the Beatles grew beyond that but as a working black musician (with working black musician friends to whom it also mattered), that shit had to be infuriating. Couldn't exactly the blame the guy if he never got over it.

• edited February 2018

@syrupcore said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Peter321 said:
    Haven't read it yet, but the examples of him changing subject randomly and the crazy stories makes me wonder if he's actually suffering from early dementia?

>

Nah, seems more like his idea of how to throw the interviewer off guard, along with the stuff about not talking in public. I mean, everyone has a JFK theory, and the auhorities don’t care how much it is discussed.

Note at the bottom: Edited together from two conversations. We don't really have any idea the order of anything.

David Marchese is a professional, and New York magazine (despite its gift for overpromising headlines) is a serious place. I'm really confident that the quotes have definitely not been rearranged to make it seem random or jarring intentionally. Although outside of a place like The New York Times or The Washington Post, most interviews do cut out digressions and false starts and even whole paragraphs where the subject gets boring. But it's a real no-no to put quotes out of order.

I would imagine that if Quincy felt he was misrepresented, he would have plenty of microphone to say so. Which is why Marchese, who has the tapes, wouldn't go messing with the context much.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@syrupcore said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Peter321 said:

>

David Marchese is a professional, and New York magazine (despite its gift for overpromising headlines) is a serious place. I'm really confident that the quotes have definitely not been rearranged to make it seem random or jarring intentionally. Although outside of a place like The New York Times or The Washington Post, most interviews do cut out digressions and false starts and even whole paragraphs where the subject gets boring. But it's a real no-no to put quotes out of order.

I would imagine that if Quincy felt he was misrepresented, he would have plenty of microphone to say so. Which is why Marchese, who has the tapes, wouldn't go messing with the context much.

I wasn't suggesting he misrepresented him—sorry if it read that way. But I do not think that what we read is two conversations put one after the other. Indeed, I think part of Marchese's gift as an interviewer is in the editing. It's not different from long form radio interviews, etc.

• Everyone gets ripped off. Blues chord progressions have their roots in English folk.

• @syrupcore said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@syrupcore said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Peter321 said:

>

I wasn't suggesting he misrepresented him—sorry if it read that way. But I do not think that what we read is two conversations put one after the other. Indeed, I think part of Marchese's gift as an interviewer is in the editing. It's not different from long form radio interviews, etc.

I see what you're saying. I thought you were suggesting that sentences and thoughts from one interview would seamlessly transition into sentences from another. But I'd bet that the flow of the interview is largely chronological. Wouldn't be a bad idea to ask him!
    @david_marchese is his twitter handle....

• edited February 2018

OK, you had me obsessing, and lo and behold, Marchese actually already gave a Q&A to Columbia Journalism Review! And as I thought (hoped, really), he keeps the conversation chronological. From the interview:

"I try not to alter too much of the natural shape of the conversation. I would hope the interview with Quincy gives a sense that he was getting increasingly comfortable with me and saw that I understood the references he would make and was interested in the same thing."

• edited February 2018

@dvlmusic said:
    Quincy Jones is the man.

There, I've said it.

He's also an enormous dick, as made clear in that interview. I don't have a problem with anything he's done/accomplished - his legacy is amazing as is his various work. But what I don't get is why do you have to be such a dick about it? You've had a life most anyone would want. You hang out with the coolest of the cool. It is very likely you or your children will never have to work a day job ever. Have a little grace in your old age - why is it so necessary to trash everyone and everything?

It's not WHAT he says, more the way he says it that gets me. Ok, off my soapbox. A fascinating read, but very frustrating.

That's the thing. Some people can be humble and wise when they get to the top, others can't. Seems like QJ belongs to the latter category. He's clearly trying to be cool in front of the new generations of musicians but in the end appears mostly arrogant and appeals only to people who cannot see beyond fame, top charts etc. He is indeed one of the bastions of the old industry that is a sinking ship.

As for Beatles. I'd argue there's more love for them than QJ, well at least in my circles. I don't know why there even is this discussion about comparing rock and roll to jazz musicians. These are completely different worlds.

Good old uncle Quincy, give him a cocktail and let him mumble.

• @syrupcore said:

@Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I haven’t read this one, but read another in the Guardian yesterday where he said about The Beatles:

“They were the worst musicians in the world,” he told interviewer David Marchese. “They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard.”

Obviously they’re not up to session musician standards, but really, what a stupid statement that is.

>

Yeah, he repeats that in the article. Made me think, okay how many great songs did the Beatles write, together and as individuals, how many number ones in how many countries, what is their influence on the world.

Compare that to what QJ has been responsible for, however great, and the winner is...

Beatles were a great band (greatest?) but he wasn't talking about their songwriting or cultural importance or influence, he was talking about their musicianship. He didn't pass any sort of judgement on them as a band. For context, in the same era (and same part of the interview), he talks about Jimi Hendrix chickening out when it came to playing in his band at the time. Hendrix!

"He was nervous to play with Toots Thielemans, Herbie Hancock, Hubert Laws, Roland Kirk"

All four of them, and Q for that matter, are fucking tremendous, virtuoso type players. And most of his records were filled with that caliber of player. Add a little typical musician jealousy ("wtf are they so famous with their four chords and not us?") and the impudent sass of a tremendously successful 85 year old man and well...

Also, another context for an 85 year old black musician: huge parts of the British Invasion involved ripping off black American music/musicians. Obviously, the Beatles grew beyond that but as a working black musician (with working black musician friends to whom it also mattered), that shit had to be infuriating. Couldn't exactly the blame the guy if he never got over it.

This is pretty much my thinking on this interview and QJ’s demeanor and negative comments. Plus to have lived this long, accomplished all that he has, met and hung out with the elite of the world, and STILL have to deal with racism, I can understand him being a jerk and not really caring all that much what anyone thinks.

• @Icepulse said:
    Everyone gets ripped off. Blues chord progressions have their roots in English folk.

You’re diminishing influence here. Not sure why. What @syrupcore said we pretty fair and on point.

But I’d still like to hear more about how English folk influenced the blues on a level similar to the blues’ influence on English folks.

• No wonder Trump was his mate.
    They seem to share the same narcissism / arrogance, and total disrespect for anyone outside of their "class".
    Seeing the whole music world through the prism of virtuoso jazz players (vomit)

Makes me want to start a discordant, out of time, sloppy iPad punk band
    Total dick.

• edited February 2018

Y'know, I've been thinking about the whole "Music now is nothing but 4-bar loops" (badly paraphrased) comment.

SO WHAT?

This is what I don't get about most older musicians. Every generation poo-poo's their parents music, comes up with their own jam, then poo-poo's their kids music. This is what I don't get: I understand if there's a style of music you don't like. Fine. There's music we all don't like. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a valid piece of art. Just because it conforms to different standards than your music doesn't mean it isn't good.

So what exactly is the problem with 4-bar loops? Just because it is simpler in structure, does that mean it also didn't have the same artistic effort that went into creating it? Is Giant Steps, a tune that modulates through all 12 keys for the head, more valid as art than the latest hip-hop hit? At what point does the process surpass the outcome for validation of the end-result?

And all of this is made even more frustrating by the fact that I really admire the hell out of QJ - his output is legendary. After a while he (and other nay-sayers) just sound like crabby old men.

• @DCJ said:

@Icepulse said:
    Everyone gets ripped off. Blues chord progressions have their roots in English folk.

You’re diminishing influence here. Not sure why. What @syrupcore said we pretty fair and on point.

But I’d still like to hear more about how English folk influenced the blues on a level similar to the blues’ influence on English folks.

Of course black musical giants hold supreme influence over most popular music, over many decades, and all over the world; certainly for the greatest part of a century, and beyond. I would never diminish that.

I guess I was speaking on a more cyclical level; more zen in terms of the energy of music, and how it doesn’t belong to any one group or sect or whatever. It’s as old as history.

• @dvlmusic said:
    Y'know, I've been thinking about the whole "Music now is nothing but 4-bar loops" (badly paraphrased) comment.

SO WHAT?

This is what I don't get about most older musicians. Every generation poo-poo's their parents music, comes up with their own jam, then poo-poo's their kids music. This is what I don't get: I understand if there's a style of music you don't like. Fine. There's music we all don't like. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a valid piece of art. Just because it conforms to different standards than your music doesn't mean it isn't good.

So what exactly is the problem with 4-bar loops? Just because it is simpler in structure, does that mean it also didn't have the same artistic effort that went into creating it? Is Giant Steps, a tune that modulates through all 12 keys for the head, more valid as art than the latest hip-hop hit? At what point does the process surpass the outcome for validation of the end-result?

And all of this is made even more frustrating by the fact that I really admire the hell out of QJ - his output is legendary. After a while he (and other nay-sayers) just sound like crabby old men.

I agree. Probably my only real gripe with Quincy even tho it made me strive to rely less on 4 bar loops. But that’s my personal goal. People don’t care how it’s made, they just want good music.

• @Icepulse said:

@DCJ said:

@Icepulse said:

Of course black musical giants hold supreme influence over most popular music, over many decades, and all over the world; certainly for the greatest part of a century, and beyond. I would never diminish that.

I guess I was speaking on a more cyclical level; more zen in terms of the energy of music, and how it doesn’t belong to any one group or sect or whatever. It’s as old as history.

I can get with that.

• edited February 2018

@DCJ said:

@Icepulse said:

@DCJ said:

@Icepulse said:

I can get with that.

I mean, I know I’m a guest in the house of hip hop. But I pay my respects by respecting the craft. Not “yo I made that beat in 5 min.”, as if that’s the goal of art. Peace.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ringofthenibblefunk/?hl=en

Check me.

• @DCJ said:

@Icepulse said:

@DCJ said:

@Icepulse said:

I can get with that.

I can get with that, too. Influences and credit only become issues once money and egos enter the discussion, it seems.

• @syrupcore said:

Well said, and Q spoke to this in the GQ interview.

Did you understand why he was such a big deal?

"Yeah. Because it was the beginning. I recorded, did the arrangement, and produced Big Maybelle in 1955 with a little song called "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On." And four years later, Jerry Lee Lewis copies it, records it, and becomes a legend.

• @Icepulse said:

@DCJ said:

@Icepulse said:

@DCJ said:

@Icepulse said:

I can get with that.

I mean, I know I’m a guest in the house of hip hop. But I pay my respects by respecting the craft. Not “yo I made that beat in 5 min.”, as if that’s the goal of art. Peace.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ringofthenibblefunk/?hl=en

Check me.

Hey, your stuff's great. Nicely done.

• @Icepulse said:

Clear enough. I'm simply adding my 2¢. I just find "lead bass" to be pretty annoying, in general.

Ever hear those Joni Mitchell records with Jaco? Hard to top that sh!t.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Icepulse said:

Clear enough. I'm simply adding my 2¢. I just find "lead bass" to be pretty annoying, in general.

Ever hear those Joni Mitchell records with Jaco? Hard to top that sh!t.

If that’s true, it has everything to do w/ Joni, but again... I simply don’t like his approach or tone.

• I don't wanna be startin' somethin', but is racism in Ireland as prevalent as Quincy Jones remembers?

• Judging from my Grands I have a 1 in 4 shot of making it/being coherent.

• @AudioGus said:
    Judging from my Grands I have a 1 in 4 shot of making it/being coherent.

As my old man used to say: "You're either dyin' or you're droolin'..."