Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quincy Jones Doesn’t Pull Any Punches

Comments

• @Icepulse said:

Ever hear those Joni Mitchell records with Jaco? Hard to top that sh!t.

If that’s true, it has everything to do w/ Joni, but again... I simply don’t like his approach or tone.

Fair enough, everyone has their own tastes. Allow Q to have his. Meanwhile:

• @Mayo said:
    No wonder Trump was his mate.
    They seem to share the same narcissism / arrogance, and total disrespect for anyone outside of their "class".
    Seeing the whole music world through the prism of virtuoso jazz players (vomit)

Makes me want to start a discordant, out of time, sloppy iPad punk band
    Total dick.

People who have put in the work to become highly accomplished in a challenging field have the right to be less than impressed with novices. It's like a top NBA player not taking a YMCA league player seriously. Why would he? Any sophisticated musician is going to be bored by a 4-bar loop that never develops. Have some respect for people who have developed their talent to the max.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Mayo said:
    They seem to share the same narcissism / arrogance, and total disrespect for anyone outside of their "class".

Total dick.

People who have put in the work to become highly accomplished in a challenging field have the right to be less than impressed with novices. It's like a top NBA player not taking a YMCA league player seriously. Why would he? Any sophisticated musician is going to be bored by a 4-bar loop that never develops. Have some respect for people who have developed their talent to the max.

Absolutely. Which is not to say that naive simplicity can’t be transcendant: “She Loves You,” “Blitzkreig Bop,” “Bodak Yellow.” It’s also OK to say discerning ears want more.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Mayo said:

Total dick.

Absolutely. Which is not to say that naive simplicity can’t be transcendant: “She Loves You,” “Blitzkreig Bop,” “Bodak Yellow.” It’s also OK to say discerning ears want more.

Sure, simple music can be transcendent. I'm sure Q would agree with that. And that it's absolutely okay to like whatever you like and not like whatever you don't like.

I'm suggesting that people with highly developed skills perhaps have more standing to criticize novices than the other way around. The punk rocker criticizing the jazz giant is like a YMCA league player telling Lebron how to run a pick and roll.

@Mayo said:

Total dick.

Q has delivered more than his fair share of lame shit, INCLUDING 4 bar loops. May I submit “Back On The Block”?. And it isn’t merely his 80’s that are sketchy. He has plenty of half-baked bubblegum strings in his repertoire. But honestly, just about anything that isn’t drone, musique concrète or free jazz is built around loops. Indeed, one can recreate Sun Ra’s “Twin Stars Of Thence” on an MPC with very little effort, in terms of the rhythmic structure. Then you just require someone to play in the improvised parts. It takes a lot more than practice to be an artist. And the difference between artist and craftsman can be as vast as the Grand Canyon.

In fact, what’s harder than anything is developing a distinct style. Session guys are typically great at doing what they’re told, in any style you demand. But they’re also the guys w/ cable-knit rainbow sweaters and mullets, well into the 21st century.

They just can’t dress themselves. Musically or otherwise. :smiley:

• @Icepulse said:

In fact, what’s harder than anything is developing a distinct style. Session guys are typically great at doing what they’re told, in any style you demand. But they’re also the guys w/ cable-knit rainbow sweaters and mullets, well into the 21st century.

Those rapper sweaters are awesome. I couldn't afford them back in the late 80s/early 90s, or whenever it was they were hip. I bought some used a few years ago and still get compliments every time I wear them.

Agree that Q has turned out a lot of crap. He's a very commercially oriented guy. Disagree that everything can be boiled down to loops with improvisation. You need to develop your listening skills.

@Icepulse said:

Those rapper sweaters are awesome. I couldn't afford them back in the late 80s/early 90s, or whenever it was they were hip. I bought some used a few years ago and still get compliments every time I wear them.

Agree that Q has turned out a lot of crap. He's a very commercially oriented guy. Disagree that everything can be boiled down to loops with improvisation. You need to develop your listening skills.

You presume too much, friend. Who’s the better artist? Courbet (Stone Breakers) or Twombley (abstracted garden)?

• And if I ever “develop my listening skills” to the point where I prefer listening to Jaco Pastorius sliding and pulling around some somnambulistic arrangement, over the f’ing Misfits, please seek me out and kill me.

• Agree that Q has turned out a lot of crap.

And yet, “Strawberry Letter #23”

• edited February 2018

of course nobody judges a great artist or craftsman by his worst, that wouldn't make any sense, great artist and craftsmen are judged by their best. Premise is everything.

• you are still my favorite on the op-1, I wish you would make more videos though

• Back to the interview: Does anyone hear the similarity between Beat It and that Donna Summer song? I don't. I also didn't hear any bebop in Baby Be Mine.

• edited February 2018

@syrupcore said:
    Also, another context for an 85 year old black musician: huge parts of the British Invasion involved ripping off black American music/musicians.

>

The Beatles, always credited their black influences, as did the Stones. Unlike most American acts at the time.

It could be argued that JPG&R forced America to acknowledge the great music being made by black musicians. Yes, they played some of those songs themselves, but there was no ripping-off, the writers of those songs got paid royalties, a lot!

• edited February 2018

@dvlmusic said:
    Y'know, I've been thinking about the whole "Music now is nothing but 4-bar loops" (badly paraphrased) comment.

SO WHAT?

This is what I don't get about most older musicians.

>

Indeed. If I may borrow from and reverse a lyric, “It ain’t the way you do it, it’s what you do.”

BTW, I would not tar all older musicians - or all anything - with the same brush.

• @DCJ said:
    People don’t care how it’s made, they just want good music.

>

Exactly. I wonder if someone were to put together a great song entirely using samples from QJ material, would that also be deemed inferior. Probably. :)

• @Zen210507 said:

@DCJ said:
    People don’t care how it’s made, they just want good music.

>

Exactly. I wonder if someone were to put together a great song entirely using samples from QJ material, would that also be deemed inferior. Probably. :)

Ha. Nah he’d probably LOVE that. :D

• edited February 2018

>

At the risk of seeming like someone from the Bureau of Obvious, that is a seriously good looking woman.

• edited February 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@syrupcore said:
    Also, another context for an 85 year old black musician: huge parts of the British Invasion involved ripping off black American music/musicians.

>

The Beatles, always credited their black influences, as did the Stones. Unlike most American acts at the time.

It could be argued that JPG&R forced America to acknowledge the great music being made by black musicians. Yes, they played some of those songs themselves, but there was no ripping-off, the writers of those songs got paid royalties, a lot!

+1

All music has its roots in something that’s gone before, or our collective unconscious. Styles evolve, and I have admiration for bands that develop things further.

And anyway The Beatles weren’t a blues cover band, even their early stuff has roots in folk, swing, old crooners, all sorts in there....later you get early punk with Helter Skelter and who-knows-what kinda space music with Strawberry Fields.

QJ stated “They were the worst musicians in the world,”

Which is obviously not the case.

• @kobamoto said:
    of course nobody judges a great artist or craftsman by his worst, that wouldn't make any sense, great artist and craftsmen are judged by their best. Premise is everything.

It’s just that some have a lot less “worst”. :lol:

• @kobamoto said:

you are still my favorite on the op-1, I wish you would make more videos though

Thanks, Koba. It’s in for repairs, so I’m focused on the MPC for now.

• edited February 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@Zen210507 said:

@syrupcore said:

>

+1

All music has its roots in something that’s gone before, or our collective unconscious. Styles evolve, and I have admiration for bands that develop things further.

Interesting point. But let's not forget the the whole electronic ambient/ noise stuff was and still is for the larger part a white thing that was/ is still not rooted in (very) old traditions. It's really something young. And although you can say Ambient made in somehow to the mainstream that certainly doesn't count for Noise.

btw For punk rock in the 70s, 80s, all black bands were really an exception and Rap (around the same time) was initially a huge exclusive black. As soon as you see both things became mainstream it's picked up by everybody (black/white/ yellow and purple) :)

• edited February 2018

something went wrong here with editing my ealier comment

• edited February 2018

and another mistake :(

• @greengrocer said:

As soon as you see both things became mainstream it's picked up by everybody (black/white/ yellow and purple) :)
    >

Those yellow and purple guys, steal everything. :D

• edited February 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@greengrocer said:

As soon as you see both things became mainstream it's picked up by everybody (black/white/ yellow and purple) :)
    >

Those yellow and purple guys, steal everything. :D

Yup, Gangnam Style over 3 billion! YouTube views :)

Especialy the dance is of course a cultural approriation of white American cowboy culture, mix it with moonwalks (MJ) and Anglo American booty culture and produce the music with a Euro house style beat, etc, etc. and just sing it in native language. In short just take your inspiration where you want it and you get a milion billion seller ;)

And of course watch out for the purples in the end they take it all :)

• Ironic that Jones would disparage the Beatles as players. Years ago, I read a quote (I forget by which jazz player) that "Quincy couldn't play his way out of a paper bag"
    I don't care anything about Jones' slick production jobs, they mean nothing to me, but his score for the film "In Cold Blood" is brilliant.

• edited February 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Icepulse said:

I don’t have to develop them very far to realize that the lion’s share of your stuff is reliant on percussive loops. Very nice stuff, to be sure... but as a guitarist, you’re inclined to perform melodic soloing over basic drum loops.

I, as a drummer (since I was 16), am inclined to roll with the beat. But one thing I’ve learned is that less is more. If the drums sound right, in terms of swing and timbre, little else is required to punctuate the beat. It takes restraint. 25 years ago, i was playing in a band that might best be compared to CAN, in terms of the restraint and improvised, yet forceful rhythms. The older I get, the less patience I have for noodling. It’s why straightforward, sample-based hip hop is the most (and maybe last) fertile genre (in my estimation) for experimentation. It’s what I strive for:

There are jazz acts like Nic Bartsch and Kneedelus that hold my attention, but they lack a crucial, communicative element of language.

After college, I did a stint as a guard at a Major “Metropolitan” museum in NY. A visitor deigned to suggest to me that I really should “take a good look at the art” one day. I said “I look at it every day”. He said “No, I mean REALLY look at it”.

I considered my response, and finally, I threw both my hands up, 2 inches from his nose, and said “You see these hands? They sculpt! They paint and draw.” Then I turned my back on him.

You never know who you’re talking to.