Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quincy Jones Doesn’t Pull Any Punches

Comments

• I don't think he is bullshitting when he talks about the past. Tooth Thielemans was one of the greatest soloist in the world and why could the Beatles not have a shitty drummer and bassist ? Scoring nr1 hits doesn't mean your a great musician.

• edited February 2018

@Proto said:
    ...and why could the Beatles not have a shitty drummer and bassist ? Scoring nr1 hits doesn't mean your a great musician.

>

How about writing great songs that influence the world?

• @Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:
    Also, he's 85 and has had several brain aneurysms, so that may be affecting things.

>

Such as his perception of The Beatles?

Yes. Although from his standpoint I understand what he's saying - they weren't "good" in the sense of the world he was in, between count basie and some of the best session players in the world, but they were exactly right for their band and their effect goes far beyond their performance. Obviously their compositions stand the test of time. I didn't say I agreed with him!

I think you also look at people like hendrix, Jaco, etc, and see that there are people who play their music now with far more precision than they ever did, but they CREATED it, which is a totally different thing!

On the flip side, it could be nice to get to a point in life where you just don't give a crap about what anyone thinks!

• In one of the recent George Martin documentaries I was watching, the Beatles themselves admitted that early on they were probably much better at writing their songs than playing them.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Proto said:
    ...and why could the Beatles not have a shitty drummer and bassist ? Scoring nr1 hits doesn't mean your a great musician.

>

How about writing great songs that influence the world?

Right, exactly my point. Burt Bacharach is an incredible songwriter, pianist, and arranger, but a vocalist he is not (although his vocals have a charm). And the Beatles were incredible, but were not going to be hired to do Commercial jingle sessions at any point. And I don't think that made them very sad... ;)

• Considering the copious amounts of "5 hour energy powder" they were known to consume, it's not terribly surprising. I didn't know anything about it until I saw that, but its far from the most shocking thing I've ever heard!

• @mrufino1 said:
    Yes. Although from his standpoint I understand what he's saying - they weren't "good" in the sense of the world he was in

>

Fair enough to judge in that way, but calling them a bunch of no-good motherfuckers, and Macca the worst ever was rather harsh. ;)

I think you also look at people like hendrix, Jaco, etc, and see that there are people who play their music now with far more precision than they ever did, but they CREATED it, which is a totally different thing!

Hendrix especially. Praise where it’s due for doing it first. But what is arguably his finest moment, Dylan’s ‘All Along the Watchtower’ has since been done if not better, then certainly as well. The Jeff Healey version being a standout. But those versions get little credit.

On the flip side, it could be nice to get to a point in life where you just don't give a crap about what anyone thinks!

>

Absolutely. I love it when people in the public eye stop playing the game. Right or wrong in what they say, it’s always entertaining.

• edited February 2018

@Zen210507 said:

Absolutely. I love it when people in the public eye stop playing the game. Right or wrong in what they say, it’s always entertaining.

Entertaining, yes, but maybe only on paper. He does sound like the sort of guy you secretly hope sits down next to someone else on the bus.

• In my experience, it's not uncommon for people of his age to lose their filter. His daughters calling him LL QJ seem to indicate he already had blabbermouth tendencies.

• DCJDCJ
    edited February 2018

@mrufino1 said:

Considering the copious amounts of "5 hour energy powder" they were known to consume, it's not terribly surprising. I didn't know anything about it until I saw that, but its far from the most shocking thing I've ever heard!

Well I’ve never experienced this magical powder, so its powers are foreign to me. ;)

Richard was a big deal where I grew up. So hearing that these two legends were getting it on is exactly what I said it is: crrraaaazy!

• The Beatles probably did suck at playing when they were starting out. Doesn’t everybody? What’s so hard to believe about that, especially considering QJ was comparing their playing to some of the greatest Jazz players ever. Compared to those cats, everybody else will always suck at playing.

• @Purpan said:
    Entertaining, yes, but maybe only on paper. He does sound like the sort of guy you secretly hope sits down next to someone else on the bus.

>

“Excuse me, does this bus stop outside Tesco?”

“Don’t be asking no fool questions. I’’m Quincy Jones, muthafuka!” :D

• @telecharge said:
    In my experience, it's not uncommon for people of his age to lose their filter. His daughters calling him LL QJ seem to indicate he already had blabbermouth tendencies.

>

LL QJ. Brilliant!

• Sacrilege. Macca kicks ass as a bassist, while he is singing. Quincy will never match the beatle’s legacy.

• @vpich said:
    Sacrilege. Macca kicks ass as a bassist, while he is singing. Quincy will never match the beatle’s legacy.

>

I am reminded of Blind Lemon Pie, from The Rutles.

“Yes, Sir. Those four guys from Liverpool came here.” :)

• @MonzoPro said:
    I haven’t read this one, but read another in the Guardian yesterday where he said about The Beatles:

“They were the worst musicians in the world,” he told interviewer David Marchese. “They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard.”

Obviously they’re not up to session musician standards, but really, what a stupid statement that is.

Agreed. McCartney is actually a REALLY good bassist. The best of the four, at his respective instrument. Go to YouTube and search for "McCartney isolated bass". It speaks for itself. I've sampled and chopped those isolated bass tracks... They EXPLODE my projects. Such technique.

• @mrufino1 said:

@Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:
    Also, he's 85 and has had several brain aneurysms, so that may be affecting things.

>

Yes. Although from his standpoint I understand what he's saying - they weren't "good" in the sense of the world he was in, between count basie and some of the best session players in the world, but they were exactly right for their band and their effect goes far beyond their performance. Obviously their compositions stand the test of time. I didn't say I agreed with him!

Jaco Shmaco. At least Macca understood the role of the bassist. Jaco noodles you to death, and overreaches. I'll take "Paperback Writer" over anything Jaco ever committed to tape.

• Technically, Satriani or Ritenour are "superior" to Neil Young, as guitarists. Neil hammers at two notes for 32 bars, and delivers more feeling than either of them. Far more impressive.

• edited February 2018

@DCJ said:

@mrufino1 said:

Considering the copious amounts of "5 hour energy powder" they were known to consume, it's not terribly surprising. I didn't know anything about it until I saw that, but its far from the most shocking thing I've ever heard!

Well I’ve never experienced this magical powder, so its powers are foreign to me. ;)

Richard was a big deal where I grew up. So hearing that these two legends were getting it on is exactly what I said it is: crrraaaazy!

I haven't experienced it in myself either but I've definitely seen what it does to others!

• @vpich said:
    Sacrilege. Macca kicks ass as a bassist, while he is singing. Quincy will never match the beatle’s legacy.

Well, yeah. The Beatles are a pure magical moment, unlike almost anything in history. I mean, they were a band for less than a decade! None of them are brilliant musicians (though Paul is clearly one of the best rock bassists and same goes for Ringo on drums), but the combination of the four of them — their strengths amplified and their weaknesses negated — produced something miraculous.

It's pretty easy to say how great the Beatles are.

But let's not downplay Quincy Jones's legacy. The Beatles have sold an astonishing 177 million records. Michael Jackson, usually with Quincy at the board, sold 750 million. For my taste, the Beatles wrote better songs, but it is perfectly reasonable (especially if you're not part of our rock snob fraternity) to prefer Michael Jackson. I mean, find me a moment in either band's catalogue that reaches the pure joy of "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"!

• @Icepulse said:

@mrufino1 said:

@Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

>

Jaco Shmaco. At least Macca understood the role of the bassist. Jaco noodles you to death, and overreaches. I'll take "Paperback Writer" over anything Jaco ever committed to tape.

Man, I guess I didn't make clear that I'm a HUGE Beatles fan. I definitely don't share Quincy's opinion. I also love Jaco and its not an either or for me. Different settings, and very different mental health status between the two of them (sadly).

All in saying is that someone that blazes a trail is often surpassed in ability by someone who follows the trail from a technical aspect but blazing the trail in the first place counts for something.

And I do love paperback writer.

• edited February 2018

@mrufino1 said:

@Icepulse said:

@mrufino1 said:

@Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

>

Man, I guess I didn't make clear that I'm a HUGE Beatles fan. I definitely don't share Quincy's opinion. I also love Jaco and its not an either or for me. Different settings, and very different mental health status between the two of them (sadly).

All in saying is that someone that blazes a trail is often surpassed in ability by someone who follows the trail from a technical aspect but blazing the trail in the first place counts for something.

And I do love paperback writer.

Clear enough. I'm simply adding my 2¢. I just find "lead bass" to be pretty annoying, in general.

• @Icepulse said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I haven’t read this one, but read another in the Guardian yesterday where he said about The Beatles:

“They were the worst musicians in the world,” he told interviewer David Marchese. “They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard.”

Obviously they’re not up to session musician standards, but really, what a stupid statement that is.

Agreed. McCartney is actually a REALLY good bassist. The best of the four, at his respective instrument. Go to YouTube and search for "McCartney isolated bass". It speaks for itself. I've sampled and chopped those isolated bass tracks... They EXPLODE my projects. Such technique.

The clever thing about Macca is he can do all that on the bass, and sing lead vocal at the same time. Not an easy thing to do.

Quincy shmincy.

• Quincy Jones is the man.

There, I've said it.

He's also an enormous dick, as made clear in that interview. I don't have a problem with anything he's done/accomplished - his legacy is amazing as is his various work. But what I don't get is why do you have to be such a dick about it? You've had a life most anyone would want. You hang out with the coolest of the cool. It is very likely you or your children will never have to work a day job ever. Have a little grace in your old age - why is it so necessary to trash everyone and everything?

It's not WHAT he says, more the way he says it that gets me. Ok, off my soapbox. A fascinating read, but very frustrating.

• @Icepulse said:
    Technically, Satriani or Ritenour are "superior" to Neil Young, as guitarists. Neil hammers at two notes for 32 bars, and delivers more feeling than either of them. Far more impressive.

>

Yes. I saw a video on YouTube, where - technically - Neil Young is on Bruce Springsteen’s stage. The pair performing ‘All Along the Watchtower.’

But what happens is that Young effortlessly dominates, with the Boss looking startled.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Icepulse said:

@MonzoPro said:

The clever thing about Macca is he can do all that on the bass, and sing lead vocal at the same time. Not an easy thing to do.

Quincy shmincy.

Forget that. His playing is really sublime. I'm a pretty enthusiastic jazz listener, and I honestly believe that Macca could pick up an upright, and sit in w/ any quartet.

• QJ mentioned Clapton and Hendrix, here's an interesting video of Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce of Cream telling the story of how Jimi shared the stage with Clapton for the first time.

• edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2018

@Max23 said:
    its always funny to see young Michael Jackson videos and you remember yeah he used to have black skin and wasn't such a freak

>

Also, that his voice was once this good.

https://youtu.be/IHv9o91oNbE