Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit 1.6

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:

@knewspeak said:
    At version 1.6 wonder how long until 2 and will it bring new hardware.

Possibly, but there’s a long way between 1.6 and 2.0, how long ago was the last update ? Some were wondering if 1.5 was the last one....
    And even if new hardware does come along...it will fit alongside perfectly, so it will enhance rather than replace....a second circuit would not be a waste for me :)

It's amazing how far it's progressed from the start, it's almost unique with hardware in that it's evolved so much, testament to the development team behind it, with all the requests that get mentioned for future updates, I wonder if an update was to be 'in the works' what hardware changes would people like to see introduced, or not.

For me a info display would be nice, it would then put a purpose to the tweaks, also allowing greater complexity without the need to remember all the shift-control methods, that get introduced. Maybe even allow a greater degree of synth editing via the hardware itself.

• @knewspeak said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@knewspeak said:

Possibly, but there’s a long way between 1.6 and 2.0, how long ago was the last update ? Some were wondering if 1.5 was the last one....
    And even if new hardware does come along...it will fit alongside perfectly, so it will enhance rather than replace....a second circuit would not be a waste for me :)

It's amazing how far it's progressed from the start, it's almost unique with hardware in that it's evolved so much, testament to the development team behind it, with all the requests that get mentioned for future updates, I wonder if an update was to be 'in the works' what hardware changes would people like to see introduced, or not.

For me a info display would be nice, it would then put a purpose to the tweaks, also allowing greater complexity without the need to remember all the shift-control methods, that get introduced. Maybe even allow a greater degree of synth editing via the hardware itself.

Indeed, they are doing an amazing job....all round...the apps complement it nicely too.

I have learned to do a lot of stuff on it that I have forgot because there are so many different ways of using it...
    The shifts can be hard to remember, I guess if you use a function enough you’ll remember it though..
    On many occasion I have wished the pads could be used as a display for an onboard synth editor. Not come up with a way how the info could be displayed...I’m sure if there was one it could be done....
    The midisynth circuit app does that job fine for me at the moment as a next best option :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:
    It is received but was not sent in the previous update (maybe this one but I am doubtful/hopeful)... I have tried to emulate it as best I could in a sequencer but you know those magic lizard brain, muscle memory happy accident moments that you just can't sequence and emulate. Maybe it just feels more magic because my fingers were involved but I have recorded the output and was happy with the sound in playback but wishing I could edit the results... hmmmm, now with panning though.... ...seperate outputs on the synths at least. Ack! This is a distraction from my BM3 progress, so best I forget such ideas... :)

From the firmware update site

Program Change Setting
    Selecting Synth patches and Sessions now sends Program Change messages. These can be turned off using the newly added magenta pads on the Settings page (hold Shift when you power on)

Alrighty, I gave this a quick try and instant session change is recorded and played back perfectly In my PC daw. Curious if BM3 can record and send it... This weekends R and D I guess.

• @knewspeak said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@knewspeak said:

It's nuts that that is not the case with most hardware these days since most if not all digital hardware are computers. I'd be very surprised if Novation didn't experience a slight bump in sales after every update. Especially with the amount of buzz it creates even on the Audiobus forum!

This demonstrates that Novation's management think out of the box and try and see the bigger picture, a vision. They would have grown as a company since the 90's yet they are still, seemingly managing to stay personal with the creator (musician not god in most cases). Maybe because they are creators themselves?

So yeah, I wish I wasn't broke at the moment otherwise I'd be running to the shop to help that sales peak. ;) I'm gonna have to get one off Ebay instead.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:
    Well well, it looks like, rather than splashing out on IPad Pro I might retire Sunrizer and add this to my rig. It should fit nicely on my live rack.

@supadom
    I'm sure you'll enjoy Circuit!
    It's a great tool to play live and improvise with.
    It perfectly combines with other Synth hardwares
    also for endless jamming.

Yeah, the original plan was to splash out on pro 10.5 but I think I need to shift the focus away from the iPad screen, it doesn’t make for a great show. Instead I’m going to focus more on Impaktor and a multitimbral gadget like Circuit. Automation is a deal maker for me. I’m surprised there’s so few drum/synth apps that support automation.

I am a N00B of no great facility (in general, but in particular with the Circuit), but I can absolutely imagine 1. you being an ace with it and 2. it fitting well into your performance set-up.....

Thanks for your faith in mon abilities. Since you’re lurking on this thread I’m guessing you’re part of the club already?

On old good bbc radio 4, in the digital human podcast someone mentioned laptops being a visual performance killer. I couldn’t agree more. There is a reason why stages get decorated, money is spent on lighting and there’s such a thing as stage clothing. I can totally imagine how a guy with an iPad, unless of some divine mojo and talent can be a complete no starter. I am generally of a practical kind but his piece of shiny plastic packs quite a punch per square inch.

Agree. If I were the manager/Art Director the first thing I would say to (most) performers would be that wherever possible if you're going to use a laptop/tablet it should be flat/horizontal (if at all possible). Barrier to the audience otherwise etc. Psychological as well as actual. I want you to be focused on interacting with me (the audience) not it (the object). All of this you know of course...

This is true of any instrument or piece of equipment....
    Check this @ around 4:20 Fatboy Slim's rules for DJ'ing...rule 1 No Shoes...Rule 2. Eye contact...he explains why brilliantly

Haha, yes indeed. I like it how sense of humour wraps the whole thing together. At some point last year (before mr Haq started using it) I thought of getting one of those round fish eye mirrors and fit it somehow above my rig so the audience could see what I was doing with the Ipad. Still trying to finding a way of mounting it without making the whole thing tip over! :smiley:

• @supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:
    Well well, it looks like, rather than splashing out on IPad Pro I might retire Sunrizer and add this to my rig. It should fit nicely on my live rack.

@supadom

Yeah, the original plan was to splash out on pro 10.5 but I think I need to shift the focus away from the iPad screen, it doesn’t make for a great show. Instead I’m going to focus more on Impaktor and a multitimbral gadget like Circuit. Automation is a deal maker for me. I’m surprised there’s so few drum/synth apps that support automation.

I am a N00B of no great facility (in general, but in particular with the Circuit), but I can absolutely imagine 1. you being an ace with it and 2. it fitting well into your performance set-up.....

Thanks for your faith in mon abilities. Since you’re lurking on this thread I’m guessing you’re part of the club already?

On old good bbc radio 4, in the digital human podcast someone mentioned laptops being a visual performance killer. I couldn’t agree more. There is a reason why stages get decorated, money is spent on lighting and there’s such a thing as stage clothing. I can totally imagine how a guy with an iPad, unless of some divine mojo and talent can be a complete no starter. I am generally of a practical kind but his piece of shiny plastic packs quite a punch per square inch.

Agree. If I were the manager/Art Director the first thing I would say to (most) performers would be that wherever possible if you're going to use a laptop/tablet it should be flat/horizontal (if at all possible). Barrier to the audience otherwise etc. Psychological as well as actual. I want you to be focused on interacting with me (the audience) not it (the object). All of this you know of course...

Check this @ around 4:20 Fatboy Slim's rules for DJ'ing...rule 1 No Shoes...Rule 2. Eye contact...he explains why brilliantly

Haha, yes indeed. I like it how sense of humour wraps the whole thing together. At some point last year (before mr Haq started using it) I thought of getting one of those round fish eye mirrors and fit it somehow above my rig so the audience could see what I was doing with the Ipad. Still trying to finding a way of mounting it without making the whole thing tip over! :smiley:

How big is the mirror ?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

How big is the mirror ?

It's his head which is enormous.... :)

• edited September 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

How big is the mirror ?

I haven’t actually bought one but the one I’ve been eyeing up is 450mm diameter. To be honest it would be rather weird to be playing with a moonlike entity stuck above my head. I might as well take my shoes off and work on the eye contact and get slapped by my drummer for good luck ;)

...not to forget the 20% rule!

• @supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

How big is the mirror ?

I haven’t actually bought one but the one I’ve been eyeing up is 450mm diameter. To be honest it would be rather weird to be playing with a moonlike entity stuck above my head. I might as well take my shoes off and work on the eye contact and get slapped by my drummer for good luck ;)

You could always go 360 immersive, like this.

• edited September 2017

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

How big is the mirror ?

Yes the 20% rule is very important :D
    I think the eye contact is more important than people seeing what you are doing....I learned this years ago as a guitarist...people could see me playing but used to say they wanted me to look up at them and not stare at the floor.....I was a shy performer :blush:

• Purchased! Should be here on Saturday.

• @supadom said:
    Purchased! Should be here on Saturday.

woot woot ! :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

Now, here’s to me getting the midi sync part right.

• @supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

;) gimme a shout if I can be of assistance :)

• @supadom said:

Well done that man. Expect to be shamed by your example etc.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

;) gimme a shout if I can be of assistance :)

Most likely will do, cheers. :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

Your humbleness is praiseworthy and suspicious in equal measure sir.

• @supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

I know. Works well here in the States, bit see through in the old country....

• @supadom said:

Congrats, have fun.

• edited October 2017

@superdom - congrats. Hope you like it.

After a long time on the shelf I got mine out yesterday/today.

I also bought the iPad app for editing/creating your own patches with the need for a computer. It’s a bit pricy at £18.99 - but I actually rather like it.

So I’m loving the idea of combining the Circuit with my Volca keys and the Electribe ER-1 I’ve just bought on eBay. 4/5 instruments in the mix and all hardware based.

However, to my annoyance I seem to have a problem with getting any midi out from the 3mm midi out socket in the back. I can get midi in, and I can get midi out via the usb. But absolutely nothing coming out of the midi out socket. I’ve checked that midi out is enabled and I’ve updated to the 1.6 firmware. But still nothing.

My last hope is to change the midi cable (although I’ve checked and it works with other devices). Otherwise I guess I have to contact Novation.

• edited October 2017

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    @superdom - congrats. Hope you like it.

After a long time on the shelf I got mine out yesterday/today.

I also bought the iPad app for editing/creating your own patches with the need for a computer. It’s a bit pricy at £18.99 - but I actually rather like it.

So I’m loving the idea of combining the Circuit with my Volca keys and the Electribe ER-1 I’ve just bought on eBay. 4/5 instruments in the mix and all hardware based.

However, to my annoyance I seem to have a problem with getting any midi out from the 3mm midi out socket in the back. I can get midi in, and I can get midi out via the usb. But absolutely nothing coming out of the midi out socket. I’ve checked that midi out is enabled and I’ve updated to the 1.6 firmware. But still nothing.

My last hope is to change the midi cable (although I’ve checked and it works with other devices). Otherwise I guess I have to contact Novation.

I'm sure you have but did you also check by swapping the 2 smaller midi breakout cables between midi in and out, just to make sure its not one of those at fault.

• There was a batch of bad adaptors early on that were wired incorrectly. I'd contact Novation with your serial number, they were shipping people replacements for free.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

I know. Works well here in the States, bit see through in the old country....

That kinda explains the state of US politics

• edited October 2017

@Tarekith said:
    There was a batch of bad adaptors early on that were wired incorrectly. I'd contact Novation with your serial number, they were shipping people replacements for free.

Thanks @Tarekith and @SpookyZoo - good news, I dug out one of the original breakout cables that came with the Circuit and that worked immediately.

Strangest thing though. The cable that didn’t work was identical and from my BeatStep (which it works fine with) and even worked with the Circuit for midi in. Just not midi out.

Anyway - fixed.

So my grand plan is:

Circuit running clock into the Electribe ER-1 and also using one of its synths to sequence the Volca keys.

That will hopefully be a very quick and stable set-up and give me 2-3 synths to play with, the Circuit’s 4 drums/samples and all the percusion and a tonal noises on the Electribe. With everything available as tactile knobs and not a screen in sight.

I’m lucky enough to have access to a new Sound Devices MixPre 6 which will take all the five audio tracks in, record them to a multitrack wav and, if required (I think), even stream them to separate usb tracks into Auria or AUM on my iPad for further live effects/mixing.

If I ever get it all set up and get round to making some music I’ll try to shoot some video.

• edited October 2017

The beatstep and novation plugs are different, there's two different wiring standards people have accepted for the 1/8" to MIDI adaptors and Novation uses the less common one. Yes, it's dumb we have this sort of thing today, isn't is?

• If I ever get it all set up and get round to making some music I’ll try to shoot some video.

YES TO THE GRAND PLAN!

• @Tarekith said:
    The beatstep and novation plugs are different, there's two different wiring standards people have accepted for the 1/8" to MIDI adaptors and Novation uses the less common one. Yes, it's dumb we have this sort of thing today, isn't is?

Dumb, it is, wiring headaches.

• wimwim
    edited October 2017

Just bought - like within the last few days or weeks? I might have bid against you once or twice. :#

• @wim said:

Just bought - like within the last few days or weeks? I might have bid against you once or twice. :#

Ha. I bid on one on Tuesday but lost. However I won on a different one yesterday. Both UK sellers.

Did you get one?

• @Tarekith said:
    The beatstep and novation plugs are different, there's two different wiring standards people have accepted for the 1/8" to MIDI adaptors

Ah - of course there is!

Thanks. I’ll watch out for that in future. It worked for midi into the Circuit. But not midi out.