Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit 1.6

Comments

• edited October 2017

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    I won on a different one yesterday.

You've doubled up?

• @SpookyZoo said:

I won on a different one yesterday.

You've doubled up?

No, I’m talking about an old Electribe ER1.

I’m now the proud owner of both a Circuit and an ER1 which I will be syncing together.

• wimwim
    edited October 2017

@wim said:

So I’m loving the idea of combining the Circuit with my Volca keys and the Electribe ER-1 I’ve just bought on eBay. 4/5 instruments in the mix and all hardware based.

Just bought - like within the last few days or weeks? I might have bid against you once or twice. :#

Ha. I bid on one on Tuesday but lost. However I won on a different one yesterday. Both UK sellers.

Did you get one?

Well good - I didn't bid on any UK ones. I'd hate to think I helped jack up the price for ya' B)

I keep talking myself out of it at the last minute. I'll eventually cave I'm sure. I'm currently considering whether I might want an ES-1 instead. Seems like I might get more mileage out of something more flexible sound-wise. Sure love that ER-1 though. Argh.

Please don't report back how much you love your ER-1. ;)

• @wim said:

Well good - I didn't bid on any UK ones. I'd hate to think I helped jack up the price for ya' B)

Seems that prices are cheaper in the US (is that where you are?) anyway - about $100 rather than the £128 I paid.

I keep talking myself out of it at the last minute. I'll eventually cave I'm sure. I'm currently considering whether I might want an ES-1 instead. Seems like I might get more mileage out of something more flexible sound-wise. Sure love that ER-1 though. Argh.

I looked into all of them. The ES-1 looks great if you use samples - I just know that i'd never get round to porting any over. I like the idea of just being able to dial in reasonably different sounds every time I jam - thus the ER-1.

Please don't report back how much you love your ER-1. ;)

I'll try not to!

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Tarekith said:
    There was a batch of bad adaptors early on that were wired incorrectly. I'd contact Novation with your serial number, they were shipping people replacements for free.

Thanks @Tarekith and @SpookyZoo - good news, I dug out one of the original breakout cables that came with the Circuit and that worked immediately.

Strangest thing though. The cable that didn’t work was identical and from my BeatStep (which it works fine with) and even worked with the Circuit for midi in. Just not midi out.

Anyway - fixed.

So my grand plan is:

Circuit running clock into the Electribe ER-1 and also using one of its synths to sequence the Volca keys.

That will hopefully be a very quick and stable set-up and give me 2-3 synths to play with, the Circuit’s 4 drums/samples and all the percusion and a tonal noises on the Electribe. With everything available as tactile knobs and not a screen in sight.

I’m lucky enough to have access to a new Sound Devices MixPre 6 which will take all the five audio tracks in, record them to a multitrack wav and, if required (I think), even stream them to separate usb tracks into Auria or AUM on my iPad for further live effects/mixing.

If I ever get it all set up and get round to making some music I’ll try to shoot some video.

That setup sounds sweet, I’m running a bassstation 2 and mininova from my circuit....great results very quickly....I do wish I had more drum tracks though.
    Btw I just posted a midifire script in the brambos midi out thread....to map 4 ruismaker sequencer tracks to the circuit drum tracks...if you’re interested.

Seems that prices are cheaper in the US (is that where you are?) anyway - about $100 rather than the £128 I paid.

The best ones seem to close out at about $130-$150 in the US. Congrats on getting yours! That's going to be a killer combo with the Circuit.

• Really looking forward to what you come up with on the Circuit. Suspect it will be right in your wheelhouse...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Really looking forward to what you come up with on the Circuit. Suspect it will be right in your wheelhouse...

Thanks Johnny. Hope yours gets some use.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:
    Purchased! Should be here on Saturday.

woot woot ! :)

Now, here’s to me getting the midi sync part right.

;) gimme a shout if I can be of assistance :)

What do you usually sync it to? I’ve tried syncing it to loopy and it synced right away but it was way too lousy. Not even a flam.

• @supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

What do you usually sync it to? I’ve tried syncing it to loopy and it synced right away but it was way too lousy. Not even a flam.

I usually sync with the Launchpad app...or ModStep....or Cubasis...and previously Gadget without any issues ...are you sending clock to it or receiving clock from it ?

Something to check if you are sending clock which has come to light for me recently is how Buffersize can affect the MIDI clock output from iOS.....buffersize of 1024 means really bad latency / flutter on the clock on my Mini2...512 is workable...but go as low as you can....
    I think this only really applies if you are sending clock from iOS..as opposed to receiving it from the Circuit.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

I usually sync with the Launchpad app...or ModStep....or Cubasis...and previously Gadget without any issues ...are you sending clock to it or receiving clock from it ?

Something to check if you are sending clock which has come to light for me recently is how Buffersize can affect the MIDI clock output from iOS.....buffersize of 1024 means really bad latency / flutter on the clock on my Mini2...512 is workable...but go as low as you can....
    I think this only really applies if you are sending clock from iOS..as opposed to receiving it from the Circuit.

I’m sending clock to it as loopy has always been my master as loopy sessions are saved with tempos etc. I’ve been using 128 frames in audiobus for donkeys so I don’t think it’s that. I will do some testing slaving it to other apps you’ve mentioned to see if it is loopy’s fault. Thanks

• edited October 2017

I’m also hearing there is patch/sample swap going on but couldn’t find anything other that Novation midi web thingy. Any leads anyone could share or straighten up my notion of things as I’m totally lost and really want to like this machine despite the running instinct creeping in.

• @supadom said:
    I’m also hearing there is patch/sample swap going on but couldn’t find anything other that Novation midi web thingy. Any leads anyone could share or straighten up my notion of things as I’m totally lost and really want to like this machine

This vid has a lot of info in it...and explains some of the not so obvious but really nice tricks you can use (e.g. setting up chords)

Sample Flip

Components - for session/sample and patch backup

There is also a whole bunch of vids on Novation TV YT channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLYJasHbl4-ED9HSM3C1BuQ

Micro steps on drums

You can use the MIDI Synth Circuit iOS app to program patches
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midisynth-circuit/id1230479796?mt=8

despite the running instinct creeping in.

Stick with it...it really is a great machine once you break the invisible barrier down ;)

• Cheers @AndyPlankton loads of info in here.

I’ve got about 70% of the machine sussed out already. It is indeed very quick to learn. What I still need working out is the scales/root key section and will definitely check out the tips and tricks vid you’ve posted (thanks).

What I was asking about earlier was a user patches swap shop by i must have misunderstood something as I don’t think such thing exists.

So far I’ve slaved it to AUM which worked pretty well with other apps hooked up via link. This is probably the best way to sync circuit as far as I can see. AUM pops up with a message that trying to send clock to hardware and software apps may result in issues which tells me that if JLila can’t do it effectively then there are higher forces preventing a good IAA sync and Link is the only hope.

• @AndyPlankton Nice collection there Mister A....

• @supadom said:
    Cheers @AndyPlankton loads of info in here.

I’ve got about 70% of the machine sussed out already. It is indeed very quick to learn. What I still need working out is the scales/root key section and will definitely check out the tips and tricks vid you’ve posted (thanks).

What I was asking about earlier was a user patches swap shop by i must have misunderstood something as I don’t think such thing exists.

So far I’ve slaved it to AUM which worked pretty well with other apps hooked up via link. This is probably the best way to sync circuit as far as I can see. AUM pops up with a message that trying to send clock to hardware and software apps may result in issues which tells me that if JLila can’t do it effectively then there are higher forces preventing a good IAA sync and Link is the only hope.

Scales are easy.....press the scales button....the top 2 rows are then a chromatic keyboard for selecting the root note of the scale...then the bottom 2 rows select the scale type......I have not committed all the types to memory yet....1st pad is minor, 2nd major and 4th Phrygian.....and the last is chromatic....that's all i've remembered so far..

What I found slightly confusing is thaat when you select a root note the lit pads change...but all this is doing is highlighting which notes are in the scale you have selected...

One thing that does drive me mad is you need to select your scale BEFORE recording MIDI in from external source...otherwise if you do not record in using the correct key it all gets transposed around...it is fine when playing with the pads though..pad 1 is always the root note...

With regard to sync...I genuinely have not had any issues save for general MIDI latency and the massive flutter when using high buffer size.....
    I know you'd rather have your software controlling the tempo...BUT...give it a go with MIDI Link Sync and send clock from circuit....use MIDI Clock slave in those apps that support it and link in those that don't....(Cubase and Auria will not work like this though as they are MIDI Master only)...it does work pretty nicely with the added bonus of all your midi synced apps starting when you hit play on the circuit...and tempo being controlled by the knob on circuit (and saved with the session)...great when building stuff....
    For general playback and performance I have found the Launchpad MIDI Sync clock to be pretty good for providing Link to MIDI sync bridge...but I am normally using Launchpad as well so it isn't an overhead for me.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @AndyPlankton Nice collection there Mister A....

I have watched a fair few circuit how to vids....

There is another trick that isn't in any of those vids that is handy for Hats....use an open hat sample...and automate the sample length to get Open/Closed hats on the same track with same sample...

• @supadom @JohnnyGoodyear

Something I have just started doing is automating the session changing via sequencing (you send Program Change on channel 16)....I have done it in Cubasis...am now on a mission to make it happen from Quantum while Quantum is also sequencing BassStation and Mininova :)

Since the 1.6 update you can now record these program change messages into your DAW/MIDI Recorder of choice while freestyling on the session pads :)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    @supadom @JohnnyGoodyear

Something I have just started doing is automating the session changing via sequencing (you send Program Change on channel 16)....I have done it in Cubasis...am now on a mission to make it happen from Quantum while Quantum is also sequencing BassStation and Mininova :)

Since the 1.6 update you can now record these program change messages into your DAW/MIDI Recorder of choice while freestyling on the session pads :)

Thavius Beck video is a treasure. I’m going to rip it with BT before it gets pulled!

The ability to use internal synths and as midi controller simultaneously has a lot of potential alongside midi PC for session changing. All of a sudden losing loopy as a master clocker doesn’t sound so scary anymore. ;)

• Glad to hear you’re getting to grips with the Circuit @supadom

My ER-1 arrived today :)

Glad to hear you’re getting to grips with the Circuit @supadom

Nice ~ Stay Gold, Ponyboy, Stay Gold B)

• @AndyPlankton said:

taaake ooon meeee

• @Aud_iOS said:

Glad to hear you’re getting to grips with the Circuit @supadom

Nice ~ Stay Gold, Ponyboy, Stay Gold B)

Gold? Gold audio cables?

• @Tarekith said:
    Brewdog. :)

Of course... :)

• Just been having a lot of fun routing the Bassline from the Circuit into the audio in of the Electribe and stuttering with the Electribe sequencer plus using the Electribe delay. Super fun.

• edited October 2017

I should be able to do some nice splitting of the Circuit audio output so I can feed it both into the main mix and into the Electribe with a splitter cable. Then mix between ‘glitchy through the Electribe’ and ‘normal’.

• @supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    @supadom @JohnnyGoodyear

Thavius Beck video is a treasure. I’m going to rip it with BT before it gets pulled!

The ability to use internal synths and as midi controller simultaneously has a lot of potential alongside midi PC for session changing. All of a sudden losing loopy as a master clocker doesn’t sound so scary anymore. ;)

I think it was that vid that convinced me I needed a circuit in the first place. :)

• Another Sample flip video that shows a different way of working with it.

• And this for using it as a monster CC controller