Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit 1.6

Comments

• @Tarekith said:

@supadom said:
    One thing is...circuit synth engine. I’m not too keen on it. It isn’t bleepy enough for me. Maybe I need to mess around with that sound editor or download some sound packs to see if I can taylor it closer to my liking as at present I’m finding it weak and unimpressive. I never really got on with wavetable technology.

Definitely worth getting an editor, the Novation synth engine is VERY deep and powerful.

I’ve got the free mac version :smiley:

• Still trying to work out how to get samples into this thing. Any advice?

• @supadom said:
    Still trying to work out how to get samples into this thing. Any advice?

I watched a vid earlier (the Sonicstate one) where he used their Novation website account to upload and drag samples onto the pads.

• @MonzoPro said:

@supadom said:

I watched a vid earlier (the Sonicstate one) where he used their Novation website account to upload and drag samples onto the pads.

Yep, got it. Sometimes it’s just easier to search the net. I’m very happy to get the pocket operator sample pack from coockoo but still not amazed with the synths. I think I need to brainwash myself out of subtractive synthesis. Some of the patches actually sound pretty good it’s just sooo fucking easy to get lost in it without patch names, lcd etc. Work in progress.

• @supadom said:

@MonzoPro said:

@supadom said:

Yep, got it. Sometimes it’s just easier to search the net. I’m very happy to get the pocket operator sample pack from coockoo but still not amazed with the synths. I think I need to brainwash myself out of subtractive synthesis. Some of the patches actually sound pretty good it’s just sooo fucking easy to get lost in it without patch names, lcd etc. Work in progress.

I thought the synths sounded pretty good in the vids, how do they compare to iOS synths in the flesh?

• @MonzoPro said:

@supadom said:

@MonzoPro said:

@supadom said:

I thought the synths sounded pretty good in the vids, how do they compare to iOS synths in the flesh?

Well, it is all question of what you're into. Like many others I love the warm analogue sound like isem, zeeon and Thor. This isn't even trying to be any of those so to me it's really apples and oranges.

Coockoo makes a funny face in the editor video when he discovers (by pitching down the oscillator) that this is wavetable synthesis. I admire him for not being judgmental and pursuing the sound.

Circuit's synth is defo a glitchers paradise. The oscillators in themselves don't sound great to my ear but filter, modulation and distortion /bit crush do make it sound pretty cool, digital but cool. The automation suits it greatly and you can go nuts destroying the sound. Having said that, he came up with some very warm sounding patch set however they do seem to sound samey and I always find myself scrolling through patches unsure which one to use. Early days I suppose.

• @supadom said:
    Coockoo makes a funny face in the editor video when he discovers (by pitching down the oscillator) that this is wavetable synthesis. I admire him for not being judgmental and pursuing the sound.

The OSCs in the Circuit do both virtual analog AND wavetable synthesis, just depends on which OSC type you have selected.

• edited October 2017

@Tarekith said:

@supadom said:
    One thing is...circuit synth engine. I’m not too keen on it. It isn’t bleepy enough for me. Maybe I need to mess around with that sound editor or download some sound packs to see if I can taylor it closer to my liking as at present I’m finding it weak and unimpressive. I never really got on with wavetable technology.

Definitely worth getting an editor, the Novation synth engine is VERY deep and powerful.

Yep.

And also add this to your Circuit-To-Do-List...

Recreate Lightfinger's Crazy Arp patch. Awesome! :)

• edited October 2017

@supadom said:
    So I’ve tinkled a little more with circuit + IOS set up and I have to say I like it. Turnado and Samplr love its sync ping. At first I found latency issues between circuit and iOS, it turned out that running circuit into EIE is not an option as it adds latency which means I’ll need a small mixer to the mix.

The synth engine is a slightly slimmed down version of the engine found in the Mininova and Supernova synths.....
    I think the main differences are
    2 Osc's (instead of 3)
    3 Env's (instead of 6)
    Less FX
    No Vocoder

An editor is the only way to fully discover what it is capable of.....

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:
    So I’ve tinkled a little more with circuit + IOS set up and I have to say I like it. Turnado and Samplr love its sync ping. At first I found latency issues between circuit and iOS, it turned out that running circuit into EIE is not an option as it adds latency which means I’ll need a small mixer to the mix.

The synth engine is a slightly slimmed down version of the engine found in the Mininova and Supernova synths.....
    2 Osc's (instead of 3)
    3 Env's (instead of 6)
    Less FX
    No Vocoder

Mininova and Ultranova, yes, no so much the Supernova, even though related. The Mini and Ultra are also mono-timbral, the circuit multi, 2 synth engines, plus the sample engine.

• @knewspeak said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

2 Osc's (instead of 3)
    3 Env's (instead of 6)
    Less FX
    No Vocoder

Mininova and Ultranova, yes, no so much the Supernova, even though related. The Mini and Ultra are also mono-timbral, the circuit multi, 2 synth engines, plus the sample engine.

you are quite correct.....no idea why I typed supernova, I did in fact mean ultranova :) thanks

• Nice!

I had seen the midi chart previously but not the Sysex stuff.

Cheers.

• @SpookyZoo said:

Nice!

Cheers.

It also has CC's listed for the new 1.6 Sample (Drum) Panning and FX bypass ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Nice!

Cheers.

V.nice! :)

• @SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Nice!

Cheers.

Can't wait to dig in. Unfortunately on a Circuit hold right now as Max 4 Live won't install on High Sierra (if a new install).

• @Aud_iOS said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Nice!

Cheers.

Can't wait to dig in. Unfortunately on a Circuit hold right now as Max 4 Live won't install on High Sierra (if a new install).

hehehe...I'm stuck between trying to finish tunes I've already started and playing with the new stuff :)

• After watching a load more videos I think I’d be a bit like @JohnnyGoodyear with this one, initial excitement, then it’d be put on the shelf. A nice thing to have, but wouldn’t get masses of use.

That’s off the Xmas list then.

• @MonzoPro said:
    After watching a load more videos I think I’d be a bit like @JohnnyGoodyear with this one, initial excitement, then it’d be put on the shelf. A nice thing to have, but wouldn’t get masses of use.

To be exactly like @JohnnyGoodyear you would have to be pretending to buy it for your kid's Xmas present first! ;)

• @SpookyZoo said:

@MonzoPro said:
    After watching a load more videos I think I’d be a bit like @JohnnyGoodyear with this one, initial excitement, then it’d be put on the shelf. A nice thing to have, but wouldn’t get masses of use.

To be exactly like @JohnnyGoodyear you would have to be pretending to buy it for your kid's Xmas present first! ;)

hahahaha!

• I’d like to see 2 banks of macros in the next update toggled via the octave buttons.

Of course it ain’t gonna happen as they’d have to rewrite the software editor code, which would be more work.

Anyone knows if any of the previous firmware updates required tweaking the editor?

There should be a Novation rappresentative on this thread by now. We’re at over 3k views!

• @MonzoPro said:

Now that I have BM3 (insert gush) my Circuit has gone way down in stock. I do like it a lot when I use it but if I did not have it already and the same Birthday money came around, it likely would not even make the list. If it had audio over USB (in addition to the current midi) into iPad I might use it a ton with BM3 (and the Circuit editor). The two really are awesome together but right now with my old man bumps and owies, having to use two audio interfaces to sync up and record it is just not a friendly after work setup/teardown while on the couch experience.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@MonzoPro said:

Mrs Monzo’s wise to that one, after I’d insisted that our 8 year old had been asking Father Christmas for a copy of Komplete.

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

Now that I have BM3 (insert gush) my Circuit has gone way down in stock. I do like it a lot when I use it but if I did not have it already and the same Birthday money came around, it likely would not even make the list. If it had audio over USB (in addition to the current midi) into iPad I might use it a ton with BM3 (and the Circuit editor). The two really are awesome together but right now with my old man bumps and owies, having to use two audio interfaces to sync up and record it is just not a friendly after work setup/teardown while on the couch experience.

Yeah, I don’t have lots of cash so I need to spend it wisely. I think one of the cheaper MIDI keyboard controllers will be dropping down the chimney on Xmas eve, and one that maps nicely to the pad.

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

The Ipad environment is definitely a couch surfer’s paradise. No fucking about with leads, you swipe to change the app etc. Even more so with split view on big bastard.

When it comes to live jamming it comes to its own though. It is a complex machine but has plenty going for it and a massive sex appeal. When I was at the swimming pool during my daughter’s swimming lesson everyone was super intrigued by the Christmas light display.

Now seriously though,

This paired with an Ipad is incredibly powerful and totally a keeper in my set up.

I found the sound can be very edgy so the use of LPF and sine waves is highly recommended unless glitch is all you’re after. Having set that the global LPF is a godsend for those moments when it is all too much.

• @supadom said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

The Ipad environment is definitely a couch surfer’s paradise. No fucking about with leads, you swipe to change the app etc. Even more so with split view on big bastard.

When it comes to live jamming it comes to its own though. It is a complex machine but has plenty going for it and a massive sex appeal. When I was at the swimming pool during my daughter’s swimming lesson everyone was super intrigued by the Christmas light display.

The Circuit definitely generated more conversations on the train.

• My travel pack (escape plan too) is always Circuit + Headphones + iPad/CCK + Line2USB.

• @supadom said:
    I’d like to see 2 banks of macros in the next update toggled via the octave buttons.

Of course it ain’t gonna happen as they’d have to rewrite the software editor code, which would be more work.

Anyone knows if any of the previous firmware updates required tweaking the editor?

There should be a Novation rappresentative on this thread by now. We’re at over 3k views!

You could always connect an external controller if you want more cc’s

• @supadom said:

This paired with an Ipad is incredibly powerful and totally a keeper in my set up.

very much so....Midi link sync, aum, and the rest is up to you , just route everything through an aux bus and record it

• edited October 2017

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:
    I’d like to see 2 banks of macros in the next update toggled via the octave buttons.

You could always connect an external controller if you want more cc’s

I’m trying to squeeze as much as possible out of the box! ;)

By the way. Do you know how to stop Circuit from sending midi CCs? I’ve turned off both midi TX and RX but it still manages to accidentally tweak my Turnado! I have Turnado listening to circuit for midi clock so can’t turn off midi on that end.

If all else fails I’ll need to remap my lpd8 as it’s always been my Turnado tweaker.