Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit 1.6

Comments

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Can any of you old pros chime in on how long the firmware update took? Been hooked up to the machine (Nurse) for 40 minutes with the pop up message 'Updating Firmware. This may take some time.' Normal?

Doh! Should only be three minutes at most I think. :/

Thank you Mister Gus. I shall search out the ball-peen....

Tis the humane thing to do.

• on a box that you can automate everything on why would they finally add panning and then not ALLOW US TO AUTOMATE IT sheeeeesh............._.I dunno _

• @kobamoto said:
    got rid of mine a while back but I'm thinking about getting another one, and selling my launchpad pro instead. I think they've got the same scales function if I'm not mistaken but I like the after touch on the L-Pro

The Circuit doesn't have ALL the scales that LB Pro has....

• @mannix said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@mannix said:

@mrcanister said:
    all these sweet updates by Novation for the Circuit and nada from Korg for the Electribe 2. and for sure Korg's been making big money on this device. i got mine over 2.5yrs ago and it's model number 01096. how much of a dent in their profits would it cause to pay a dev for a couple of new feature like microsteps or something like amount level for master effect. i'm not uninstalling gadget in protest!

Also note that the Circuit is nowadays a lot cheaper than Korg Electribe Sampler
    Although I like Korg hardware synth stuff the guys from Novation understand that updating software is the real key to succesful hardware devices. The Circuit at the beginning was quite a limited groovebox but through updates it is becoming better and better. Only point of annoyance is that you have to login with FB or Google to upload sample into the machine.

You don't have to do that anymore.

https://global.novationmusic.com/components/home

Look for the 'Components Standalone' option.

thanks!

There is also an iOS app , although I haven't tried it
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1230479796

• @Korakios said:

@mannix said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@mannix said:

@mrcanister said:
    all these sweet updates by Novation for the Circuit and nada from Korg for the Electribe 2. and for sure Korg's been making big money on this device. i got mine over 2.5yrs ago and it's model number 01096. how much of a dent in their profits would it cause to pay a dev for a couple of new feature like microsteps or something like amount level for master effect. i'm not uninstalling gadget in protest!

Also note that the Circuit is nowadays a lot cheaper than Korg Electribe Sampler
    Although I like Korg hardware synth stuff the guys from Novation understand that updating software is the real key to succesful hardware devices. The Circuit at the beginning was quite a limited groovebox but through updates it is becoming better and better. Only point of annoyance is that you have to login with FB or Google to upload sample into the machine.

thanks!

That app is great for programming the synths....not tried using any of it's more advanced features.....for the synth editing it is worth the base price though, if like me you do not have easy access to a PC to run the PC editor :)

• edited September 2017

@kobamoto said:
    on a box that you can automate everything on why would they finally add panning and then not ALLOW US TO AUTOMATE IT sheeeeesh............._.I dunno _

It is probably for the same reason that panning wasn't in the initial release... they are meanie poopoo heads.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@kobamoto said:
    got rid of mine a while back but I'm thinking about getting another one, and selling my launchpad pro instead. I think they've got the same scales function if I'm not mistaken but I like the after touch on the L-Pro

really I thought they both had 32, do you know what the difference is?

• edited September 2017

@AudioGus said:

@kobamoto said:
    on a box that you can automate everything on why would they finally add panning and then not ALLOW US TO AUTOMATE IT sheeeeesh............._.I dunno _

It is probably for the same reason that panning wasn't in the initial release... they are meanie poopoo heads.

you're right they are meanie poopoo heads, but they're the nicest meanie poopoo heads in the dev game

• @kobamoto said:

@AudioGus said:

@kobamoto said:

you're right they are meanie poopoo heads, but their the nicest meanie poopoo heads in the dev game

yup, look at korg hardware like the new electribes... nonono updates

• @kobamoto said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@kobamoto said:

really I thought they both had 32, do you know what the difference is?

Circuit has 16...see below images for differences

Circuit Scales

LP Pro scales

• Thanks Andy but Why does circuit start on 17, what happen o 1-16?

• edited September 2017

@kobamoto said:
    Thanks Andy but Why does circuit start on 17, what happen o 1-16?

I think Maybe because (12 of ) the first 16 pads allow you to dictate the root note of the scale.

The Scale types are on the bottom 2 rows of pads, numbers 17-32.

• @kobamoto said:

That is the Pad Number.....pads 1-16 are used for choosing the root note.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@kobamoto said:

I think Maybe because (12 of ) the first 16 pads allow you to dictate the root note of the scale.

The Scale types are on the bottom 2 rows of pads, numbers 17-32.

Oh..LOL beat me to it

• Well well, it looks like, rather than splashing out on IPad Pro I might retire Sunrizer and add this to my rig. It should fit nicely on my live rack.

One question though:

How does it do for sync with IOS? What apps does it sync well to without having to use any midi bridge apps?

• edited September 2017

@supadom said:
    Well well, it looks like, rather than splashing out on IPad Pro I might retire Sunrizer and add this to my rig. It should fit nicely on my live rack.

One question though:

How does it do for sync with IOS? What apps does it sync well to without having to use any midi bridge apps?

It will sync to anything that sends MIDI Clock.....
    Or, if you want circuit to be the clock, and be able to change iOS tempo from the knob..or have iOS automatically switch tempo to the loaded session....you can use MIDI Link Sync (bridging app i know) but it works really well.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:
    Well well, it looks like, rather than splashing out on IPad Pro I might retire Sunrizer and add this to my rig. It should fit nicely on my live rack.

One question though:

Or, if you want circuit to be the clock, and be able to change iOS tempo from the knob..or have iOS automatically switch tempo to the loaded session....you can use MIDI Link Sync (bridging app i know) but it works really well.

Yeah, that’s the theory. I just don’t want to repeat my experience with volca bass where it would play at 2.5 times the required speed! ;)

• @supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

One question though:

Yeah, that’s the theory. I just don’t want to repeat my experience with volca bass where it would play at 2.5 times the required speed! ;)

If it receives clock from more than one source then it will play back at 2,3,4 times the speed....as long as you are only sending clock from one source you are ok ;)
    I have had this happen, when I have been using MIDI Link Sync to sync it with blocs wave...then export my project to Launchpad app....and then switch on the MIDI Clock Sync in Launchpad.....forgetting to turn off MIDI Link Sync.....double the clock..double the speed :D
    As long as you can control which apps are sending clock you should be fine...
    You cannot on the device filter clock from multiple sources....

• Thanks peeps, gotta shoot novation a message and ask if they plan anything further on the panning automation front... tempted to scoop this up again

• @supadom said:

@supadom
    I'm sure you'll enjoy Circuit!
    It's a great tool to play live and improvise with.
    It perfectly combines with other Synth hardwares
    also for endless jamming.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Korakios said:

@mannix said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@mannix said:

@mrcanister said:

thanks!

That app is great for programming the synths....not tried using any of it's more advanced features.....for the synth editing it is worth the base price though, if like me you do not have easy access to a PC to run the PC editor :)

It now supports sample and session uploading . Has anyone tried it ? How about downloading ?

• @Korakios said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Korakios said:

@mannix said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@mannix said:

@mrcanister said:

thanks!

It now supports sample and session uploading . Has anyone tried it ? How about downloading ?

No, not been brave enough to try this yet, also wondering if it would need an update now that 1.6 firmware is out...sessions will now have panning info in them I assume.

@Aud_iOS Any info on this ? Also am getting some alignment issues on the synth editor since the last update....seems like there isn't quite enough room for everything on the Mini 2 screen, some controls are overlapped, most noticable in the filter section

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

One question though:

If it receives clock from more than one source then it will play back at 2,3,4 times the speed....as long as you are only sending clock from one source you are ok ;)
    I have had this happen, when I have been using MIDI Link Sync to sync it with blocs wave...then export my project to Launchpad app....and then switch on the MIDI Clock Sync in Launchpad.....forgetting to turn off MIDI Link Sync.....double the clock..double the speed :D
    As long as you can control which apps are sending clock you should be fine...
    You cannot on the device filter clock from multiple sources....

Ah that’s what it was. Well, volca is gone now and to be honest was too fiddly for live work. The circuit on the other hand looks sweet. Cheers for the tip.

• @Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

Yeah, the original plan was to splash out on pro 10.5 but I think I need to shift the focus away from the iPad screen, it doesn’t make for a great show. Instead I’m going to focus more on Impaktor and a multitimbral gadget like Circuit. Automation is a deal maker for me. I’m surprised there’s so few drum/synth apps that support automation.

• @supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

Yeah, the original plan was to splash out on pro 10.5 but I think I need to shift the focus away from the iPad screen, it doesn’t make for a great show. Instead I’m going to focus more on Impaktor and a multitimbral gadget like Circuit. Automation is a deal maker for me. I’m surprised there’s so few drum/synth apps that support automation.

I am a N00B of no great facility (in general, but in particular with the Circuit), but I can absolutely imagine 1. you being an ace with it and 2. it fitting well into your performance set-up.....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

I am a N00B of no great facility (in general, but in particular with the Circuit), but I can absolutely imagine 1. you being an ace with it and 2. it fitting well into your performance set-up.....

Thanks for your faith in mon abilities. Since you’re lurking on this thread I’m guessing you’re part of the club already?

On old good bbc radio 4, in the digital human podcast someone mentioned laptops being a visual performance killer. I couldn’t agree more. There is a reason why stages get decorated, money is spent on lighting and there’s such a thing as stage clothing. I can totally imagine how a guy with an iPad, unless of some divine mojo and talent can be a complete no starter. I am generally of a practical kind but his piece of shiny plastic packs quite a punch per square inch.

• @supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

Thanks for your faith in mon abilities. Since you’re lurking on this thread I’m guessing you’re part of the club already?

On old good bbc radio 4, in the digital human podcast someone mentioned laptops being a visual performance killer. I couldn’t agree more. There is a reason why stages get decorated, money is spent on lighting and there’s such a thing as stage clothing. I can totally imagine how a guy with an iPad, unless of some divine mojo and talent can be a complete no starter. I am generally of a practical kind but his piece of shiny plastic packs quite a punch per square inch.

Agree. If I were the manager/Art Director the first thing I would say to (most) performers would be that wherever possible if you're going to use a laptop/tablet it should be flat/horizontal (if at all possible). Barrier to the audience otherwise etc. Psychological as well as actual. I want you to be focused on interacting with me (the audience) not it (the object). All of this you know of course...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@Johnba said:

@supadom said:

@supadom

Agree. If I were the manager/Art Director the first thing I would say to (most) performers would be that wherever possible if you're going to use a laptop/tablet it should be flat/horizontal (if at all possible). Barrier to the audience otherwise etc. Psychological as well as actual. I want you to be focused on interacting with me (the audience) not it (the object). All of this you know of course...

This is true of any instrument or piece of equipment....
    Check this @ around 4:20 Fatboy Slim's rules for DJ'ing...rule 1 No Shoes...Rule 2. Eye contact...he explains why brilliantly

• At version 1.6 wonder how long until 2 and will it bring new hardware.

• @knewspeak said:
    At version 1.6 wonder how long until 2 and will it bring new hardware.

Possibly, but there’s a long way between 1.6 and 2.0, how long ago was the last update ? Some were wondering if 1.5 was the last one....
    And even if new hardware does come along...it will fit alongside perfectly, so it will enhance rather than replace....a second circuit would not be a waste for me :)