Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What favorite 32-bit music apps are you going to miss?

Comments

• I can say I agree to disagree as I don't own apps that I've purchased since owning an original iPad. But people who have bought 2 or 3 iPads over the years and purchased every decent music app since the AppStore opened most likely won't agree to disagree and rightfully so...

Planned obsolescence is a reality and while I usually give Apple credit for extending the life of their products by the top quality construction of the hardware, those who are saying Apple isn't forcing users to upgrade to the new iOS generations are only half right.

My DAW of choice Auria Pro is generally updated to use the most recent iOS versions. Unless I want it to be gimped I'm most likely going to upgrade to the latest iOS version if Auria only supports that new version. I know I'm not literally being forced into it but who isn't going to update to the latest version of the main creation tool in their iOS studio.

This of course will leave apps that aren't as updated as diligently S.O.L. if they aren't compatible with the latest version of iOS. To me it's a bit like a guitar not working with a particular amp unless a certain type of pickups are used. That's where the frustration lies with the members of our community who are looking at the possibility of being shut out of using apps they've purchased, etc. in their intended capacity.

Just because one doesn't agree with this perceived level of convenience or won't effected by it doesn't mean it isn't an issue for some of us.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Cool, I thought Samplr was fine, I must have just clicked through the warning ages ago.

Samplr is fine But an update is an update...

• @JRSIV said:
    I can say I agree to disagree as I don't own apps that I've purchased since owning an original iPad. But people who have bought 2 or 3 iPads over the years and purchased every decent music app since the AppStore opened most likely won't agree to disagree and rightfully so...

Planned obsolescence is a reality and while I usually give Apple credit for extending the life of their products by the top quality construction of the hardware, those who are saying Apple isn't forcing users to upgrade to the new iOS generations are only half right.

My DAW of choice Auria Pro is generally updated to use the most recent iOS versions. Unless I want it to be gimped I'm most likely going to upgrade to the latest iOS version if Auria only supports that new version. I know I'm not literally being forced into it but who isn't going to update to the latest version of the main creation tool in their iOS studio.

This of course will leave apps that aren't as updated as diligently S.O.L. if they aren't compatible with the latest version of iOS. To me it's a bit like a guitar not working with a particular amp unless a certain type of pickups are used. That's where the frustration lies with the members of our community who are looking at the possibility of being shut out of using apps they've purchased, etc. in their intended capacity.

Just because one doesn't agree with this perceived level of convenience or won't effected by it doesn't mean it isn't an issue for some of us.

You make some very good points here. For me this highlights the importance of developers who stand behind their apps and why I support them. In addition, it can be something of a risk to buy new apps from a developer with no track record as you can't gauge what they're likely to do in the future. My experience has been that the cost of iOS apps are relatively inexpensive compared to other operating systems or hardware that I've been willing to take more risks.

On the other hand I think developers have to invest a lot more of their time and effort into creating apps than I do in buying or using them so in many respects I think they're taking the bigger risk. A significant portion of music app developers are primarily motivated by their interest in music rather than profit.

It's when or if the rate of iOS and iOS device development starts to plateau or an iOS that is truly aimed at professionals who need update consistency and file management is created, that we'll have more apps with extended functionality across iOS versions and devices.

• @InfoCheck said:

>

On the other hand I think developers have to invest a lot more of their time and effort into creating apps than I do in buying or using them so in many respects I think they're taking the bigger risk. A significant portion of music app developers are primarily motivated by their interest in music rather than profit.

It's when or if the rate of iOS and iOS device development starts to plateau or an iOS that is truly aimed at professionals who need update consistency and file management is created, that we'll have more apps with extended functionality across iOS versions and devices.

Absolutely. The whole thing is a bit of a Gordian knot. I can't really fault a dev who is trying to remain competitive by having the latest iOS required or dropping an older app they've created to singularly focus on a new app project. My experience with Android music apps with the uLoops/Pocketband app by 2 beat had that exact situation as the devs (both great guys who helped me with any questions) focused on Oscillab exclusively, halting updates on Pocketband.

Thet weren't malicious and certainly weren't rolling in dough, they just moved on to something else.I think it happens alot when the huge monolith Apple makes these decisions, many devs & companies get caught in the crossfire of vitriol & disappointment.

• @u0421793 said:
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one is a depressing old bastard that hangs around on forums all day. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
    George Bernard Pshaw.

Change avatar

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I would miss blocs wave, Launchpad and Gadget though :|

Have no fear, you will not miss us. Our Launchpad and Blocs Wave apps are built for the future.

• edited February 2017

@blocsxnovation said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I would miss blocs wave, Launchpad and Gadget though :|

Have no fear, you will not miss us. Our Launchpad and Blocs Wave apps are built for the future.

Indeed they are :) I was referring to if I don't upgrade my iPad and get left behind for that reason, If I DO upgrade my hardware in the future it will specifically be for these :)

Circuit wave with 8 pads and a oled screen for scene/wave display and some rotaries for loop points pan and volume and a Launchpad that had sample playback and a send function between the two would sort me out ;)
    Oh and if the sample Launchpad could have LaunchControl XL support too. :D

• edited February 2017

iMPC, Cube synth and microTERA need to be updated for compatibility with the new iOS

• Cube Synth just got a 64-bit update. Phew! :smiley: (Kinda expected that one would :+1: )

• Yes just updated Cube Synth just got updated!

• edited February 2017

Recently on the BeepStreet forum the dev said this concerning 64 bit support: "Working on this. Sunrizer will be updated before Apple drop support for 32bit apps."

Very cool.

• @Tovokas said:
    Recently on the BeepStreet forum the dev said this concerning 64 bit support: "Working on this. Sunrizer will be updated before Apple drop support for 32bit apps."

Very cool.

Expected that - still GTK! :+1: - Thanks for the update!

• NanoStudio. I really hope Matt updates it finally. I cant live without that app. I've poured so many months into songs and presets. Basically have built my setup around it

• Is Looptical 32-bit? I assume it is since the last update was over a year ago. I hope its dev keeps it alive at least at a baseline level.

• Sunrizer gone?

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    NanoStudio. I really hope Matt updates it finally. I cant live without that app. I've poured so many months into songs and presets. Basically have built my setup around it

Nanostudio (1) is pretty much officially Dead from September

http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/9960?page=1#comment-33089

• You would have thought that with Apples knowledge of their own systems they could develop an interpreter that would automatically convert code to 64bit format?

• @Nu2moro said:
    You would have thought that with Apples knowledge of their own systems they could develop an interpreter that would automatically convert code to 64bit format?

It's not just the code that's the problem. It's also the system libraries in iOS which are called from the apps. Right now Apple is essentially shipping two versions of iOS packed into one (a 32bit and a 64bit version of each system library). Obviously at some point they want to ditch the outdated 32bit half of the system to make iOS 50% smaller and make system maintenance more sustainable.

Having said that, they have introduced a concept called "Bitcode Recompilation", which means that and app which is submitted to them with Bitcode enabled can be 'recompiled' on their end without intervention of the original author to be optimized for future changes in the system.

Interestingly, until I launched Troublemaker it seems that Ableton Link's iOS library did not allow for Bitcode recompilation. Ableton were unaware about this and changed it after I asked them about it, but chances are that Link-compatible apps launched before January 2017 do not have this feature enabled...

• Wouldn't it be possible to run the 32bit apps in a 64bit wrapper even if that was just on the device? This is done on some 32bit plug ins on Cubase

• Does anyone know if Samvada is a 32 bit app; it hasn't been updated for a long time? I would miss it lots if it disappeared...

• @brambos said:

@Nu2moro said:
    You would have thought that with Apples knowledge of their own systems they could develop an interpreter that would automatically convert code to 64bit format?

It's not just the code that's the problem. It's also the system libraries in iOS which are called from the apps. Right now Apple is essentially shipping two versions of iOS packed into one (a 32bit and a 64bit version of each system library). Obviously at some point they want to ditch the outdated 32bit half of the system to make iOS 50% smaller and make system maintenance more sustainable.

Having said that, they have introduced a concept called "Bitcode Recompilation", which means that and app which is submitted to them with Bitcode enabled can be 'recompiled' on their end without intervention of the original author to be optimized for future changes in the system.

Interestingly, until I launched Troublemaker it seems that Ableton Link's iOS library did not allow for Bitcode recompilation. Ableton were unaware about this and changed it after I asked them about it, but chances are that Link-compatible apps launched before January 2017 do not have this feature enabled...

What does bitcode recompilation do? Allow the taking of several opcodes and their data and stuff them into a 64 bit place at once, where in the 32 bit world it would be one opcode and one data thing together? It can't just be padding the same opcode fetches out to take up 64 bits, that'd be an inefficient waste.

• @u0421793 said:
    What does bitcode recompilation do? Allow the taking of several opcodes and their data and stuff them into a 64 bit place at once, where in the 32 bit world it would be one opcode and one data thing together? It can't just be padding the same opcode fetches out to take up 64 bits, that'd be an inefficient waste.

I never looked into the details of it, but I assumed it was sort of similar to the JAVA bytecode concept. With the notable difference that JAVA uses an interpreter to run bytecode where iOS Bitcode gets compiled and linked into an actual ARM application whenever Apple need to.

• @rcf said:
    Does anyone know if Samvada is a 32 bit app; it hasn't been updated for a long time? I would miss it lots if it disappeared...

Samvada may slow your iPad.....it's a 32 bit app it seems.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Samvada may slow your iPad.....it's a 32 bit app it seems.

Thanks for the info; another good reason to keep my old Mini 1 and stick with 9.3.5.

• Still on iOS 9.3.5, so I don't get the warning, but looking through purchase history for apps not updated since Feb 2015 gives:
    BitWiz
    Caustic Editor for Volca Sample
    Jasuto
    TableDrum
    The Oscillator

Not sure if that cut off date is good since FLUX:FX for iPhone was released Nov 7 2015 and not updated since.

If FLUX:FX is 32 bit, then based on update dates, that also brings into question:
    BeepBoop
    InTune
    GuitarCapo+
    Keezy
    Keezy Drummer
    midimux
    MIDI Wrench
    miniSynth 2
    orphinio
    Steve Reich's Clapping Music
    Xynthesizr

Can anyone vouch for any of those?

• Apparently Fiddlewax has already been removed from the App Store
    Sad to see that one go :(

• Flux fx may slow....

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Flux fx may slow....

I just noticed the iPad version is older than the iPhone version. The iPad version was last updated Jan 24 2015. So maybe the Feb 2015 cutoff date is correct. In which case the second list may not be an issue, since those were all updated after Feb 2015

• @srcer said:
    Still on iOS 9.3.5, so I don't get the warning, but looking through purchase history for apps not updated since Feb 2015 gives:
    BitWiz
    Jasuto
    TableDrum
    The Oscillator

Not sure if that cut off date is good since FLUX:FX for iPhone was released Nov 7 2015 and not updated since.

If FLUX:FX is 32 bit, then based on update dates, that also brings into question:
    BeepBoop
    InTune
    GuitarCapo+
    Keezy
    Keezy Drummer
    midimux
    MIDI Wrench
    miniSynth 2
    orphinio
    Xynthesizr

Xynthesizr updated to 64 bit support in the 1.4.2 release (Sept 2015) ... good app.

• edited March 2017

@srcer said:
    Still on iOS 9.3.5, so I don't get the warning, but looking through purchase history for apps not updated since Feb 2015 gives:
    BitWiz
    Jasuto
    TableDrum
    The Oscillator

BeepBoop
    InTune
    GuitarCapo+
    Keezy
    Keezy Drummer
    midimux
    MIDI Wrench
    miniSynth 2
    orphinio
    Xynthesizr

The cutoff was February 2015 for new apps.
    AND:
    June 2015 for updates to existing apps.
    But you're basically right. Anything updated past that point it's good.

I contacted the developer of beepboop a while ago. he promised an update was on the way but nothing has materialized yet. it's been more than a year.