Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What favorite 32-bit music apps are you going to miss?

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Lacm1993 said:
    I think the main Problem here's alchemy. Maybe the only real problem... as it's developer it's the very same company that has decided to stop supporting 32 bit apps but for the rest of the 32 bit apps the situation it's more clear.

I listed a number of others above that are real problems. I am in the process of contacting devs. I don't want to not be able to use my iCA2+, 4+, iCM2+ or 4+ because iConfig stops working. I guess most of you who have one don't either :smile:

• Also just contacted JPM about Epic Synth.

• @Rich303 said:
    Since Apple plan on leaving some of us behind if we don't update or upgrade, I'm preparing to leave Apple behind before that happens. I know I'll be spending more money on Rack Extensions for Reason. But the fact that they will always be compatible in the future gives me more comfort to know I'm spending my money wisely. Now that Rack Extensions are capable of loading samples and everything with the new SDK, things are looking even better. REs are ripening while the Apple rots slowly. So I'll be leaving the rotting Apple behind soon.

I have started building a hardware setup that I can use until it gives up the ghost and I can't get spare parts for it....much more longevity than apps....and actually a lot more pleasing to use :)
    iOS is very handy and very capable, but none of us can say that any of the tools we have on it now will still be around in 2 years time...especially for those of us on older hardware. It is fun, the results can be top notch but as a long term thing it is very risky.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Rich303 said:
    Since Apple plan on leaving some of us behind if we don't update or upgrade, I'm preparing to leave Apple behind before that happens. I know I'll be spending more money on Rack Extensions for Reason. But the fact that they will always be compatible in the future gives me more comfort to know I'm spending my money wisely. Now that Rack Extensions are capable of loading samples and everything with the new SDK, things are looking even better. REs are ripening while the Apple rots slowly. So I'll be leaving the rotting Apple behind soon.

I have started building a hardware setup that I can use until it gives up the ghost and I can't get spare parts for it....much more longevity than apps....and actually a lot more pleasing to use :)
    iOS is very handy and very capable, but none of us can say that any of the tools we have on it now will still be around in 2 years time...especially for those of us on older hardware. It is fun, the results can be top notch but as a long term thing it is very risky.

That would not be the case if Apple were more concerned about stability and providing consistent user experience than about profits, phones, handoff and balloons (I am not decrying all their other innovations, just noting what publicly drives them and what they talk about)

• @Lacm1993 said:

@skoptic said:

@brambos said:

I can't think of any non-music app that has ever given me the "may slow down your system" warning. So it's likely a non-issue for virtually every iOS user except a for few of us who keep some ancient abandonware around.

There are a number of quite popular games which are only available on 32 bit and will never be upgraded. That's what I'll miss (or not upgrade because of) most :(

Like which ones?. As you, I was thinking games as the kind of apps mainstream users might miss in this transition but I can't think of a massively popular mobile game that hasn't been updated in a while. There's gotta be lots of unknown niche games abandoned but those probably won't matter as much to anyone.

I should qualify to 'popular niche games' ;) in particular some Slitherine TBS strategy games like Battle Academy 2 and the others on that engine.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Rich303 said:

That's the thing I love about hardware... It'll still work long after it's been forgotten about. My MPC2000 is 20 years old now and still works. On top of that, I can keep it running for another 20 years without spending any significant amount of money for spare parts. Same goes for my x0xb0x. I built the kit and can keep it running forever as well.

When the iPad Pro was originally released, I was convinced that iOS was the future for me. But with Apple breaking things all the time, I can't see myself buying another iPad. I'll stick with my Mini 2 and leave it be since the price of new iPads are insane. I'd rather buy another hardware synth or more Reason REs with that money because I know I'll get my money's worth and still be able to use them 10-20 years down the line while the iPad will become an $800 doorstop. Apple are not committed enough to musicians and producers anymore. It's a dead end as far as I'm concerned.

• @Rich303 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Rich303 said:

That's the thing I love about hardware... It'll still work long after it's been forgotten about. My MPC2000 is 20 years old now and still works. On top of that, I can keep it running for another 20 years without spending any significant amount of money for spare parts. Same goes for my x0xb0x. I built the kit and can keep it running forever as well.

When the iPad Pro was originally released, I was convinced that iOS was the future for me. But with Apple breaking things all the time, I can't see myself buying another iPad. I'll stick with my Mini 2 and leave it be since the price of new iPads are insane. I'd rather buy another hardware synth or more Reason REs with that money because I know I'll get my money's worth and still be able to use them 10-20 years down the line while the iPad will become an $800 doorstop. Apple are not committed enough to musicians and producers anymore. It's a dead end as far as I'm concerned.

Mini 2 here as well, I'll stick with it until it cannot do what I want anymore. But I cannot see myself upgrading at any point.
    I would miss blocs wave, Launchpad and Gadget though :|

• Epic Synth will be updated. Just got a reply. One down. N to go.

• @MusicInclusive said:
    Also just contacted JPM about Epic Synth.

Cool!

I reported a bug 'ages' ago and asked if he had further plans to maintain/update the app and the response back then was NO. But back then he had plans to create a new app...

(The bug I reported had to do with the fact that when 'env' was selected to control pulse-width the app used the LFO, apparently the bug had been there from the initial release but no one had reported it. Thankfully it got fixed pretty fast back them),

Will be interesting to hear what the response is this time :)

• You guys are all pretty funny. Microsoft has done the same thing many times with Windows, they stop supporting the old versions, and the old hardware eventually breaks down. That's computers, guys. I have a lot of old interfaces lying around my house that no longer work, because computers keep getting updated. That's the way it is. This market is an odd one, because of the pricing, and a lot of devs are just not going to bother to make the change, and drop out of the market place. Unfortunate, but very normal.

• @Samu said:

See above re: reply :smile:

• edited February 2017

@rickwaugh said:
    You guys are all pretty funny. Microsoft has done the same thing many times with Windows, they stop supporting the old versions, and the old hardware eventually breaks down. That's computers, guys. I have a lot of old interfaces lying around my house that no longer work, because computers keep getting updated. That's the way it is. This market is an odd one, because of the pricing, and a lot of devs are just not going to bother to make the change, and drop out of the market place. Unfortunate, but very normal.

Again, as I've said above, I can still run 16- and 32-bit apps from 22 years ago on Windoze 10. The issue is in fact quite the opposite on Windoze - compatibility is and has been maintained.

• “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one is a depressing old bastard that hangs around on forums all day. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
    George Bernard Pshaw.

• @MusicInclusive said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Rich303 said:

That would not be the case if Apple were more concerned about stability and providing consistent user experience than about profits, phones, handoff and balloons (I am not decrying all their other innovations, just noting what publicly drives them and what they talk about)

There are some indications that Apple ARE committed to music making on the iPhone/iPad....AUv3 for one and also Korg, Moog, Novation and Steinberg are all investing in iOS app development, surely they wouldn't be doing this if they hadn't received some sort of guarantees from Apple on the longevity of their investment ?

I live in hope that the party will continue :) I am just making some key purchases that will protect my music making ability, just in case ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Rich303 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Rich303 said:

Mini 2 here as well, I'll stick with it until it cannot do what I want anymore. But I cannot see myself upgrading at any point.
    I would miss blocs wave, Launchpad and Gadget though :|

My Mini 2 is still on iOS 9 and I refuse to update it no matter how often Apple attemps to force the download on me. When they push me into a corner trying to bully this update on me, it feels like a slow attempted robbery. i also noticed that ny Mini 2 starts acting strange because of these forced updates. Safari and other apps start acting strange while this update is secretly downloading in the background. I believe this is all intended by Apple to make us think there's something wrong with our devices and if we upgrade, things will improve. But I know better since I've seen the same thing happen with my iPod Touch 4th generation and my iPhone 4s over the years.

I love Korg Gadget and I just bought the Nanokey Studio recently. So it would be a shame when I can no longer update Gadget due to future iOS requirements. But I'll stand my ground out of principle and leave it behind by the time that happens. I'm not even sure I want to buy Gadget for Mac due to the fact that my 2011 Mac Mini won't be able to handle it at some point. I've had more than enough frustration with Mac OS since upgrading from Lion to all the newer versions which have slowed down the machine. There's no way I'm buying another Mac. So buying Gadget for Mac will be a waste of money for me. I'm much better off building another PC and sticking with Reason.

PS- I just deleted all the apps on my wishlist and saved a few hundred dollars. I feel liberated knowing that money will go to better use.

• edited February 2017

@Rich303 said:

My Mini 2 is still on iOS 9 and I refuse to update it no matter how often Apple attemps to force the download on me.

9.3.something I hope :neutral: and not earlier 9.X - otherwise you would be better off on 10. 9.3 fixed things that were broken in all earlier 9 and 8.X

• @MusicInclusive said:

@Rich303 said:

My Mini 2 is still on iOS 9 and I refuse to update it no matter how often Apple attemps to force the download on me.

9.3.something I hope :neutral: and not earlier 9.X - otherwise you would be better off on 10. 9.3 fixed things that were broken in all earlier 9 and 8.X

I'm on iOS 9.3.5.

• @MusicInclusive said:

@Samu said:

See above re: reply :smile:

The reply was no there when I started to reply or something :D

• @Rich303 said:

@MusicInclusive said:

@Rich303 said:

I'm on iOS 9.3.5.

Good :smile: :+1:

• @MusicInclusive said:

@Rich303 said:

@MusicInclusive said:

@Rich303 said:

I'm on iOS 9.3.5.

Good :smile: :+1:

Yeah, that's as far as I'll go with this device. I updated the iPad Air 2 that I use at work to iOS 10 recently and I hate it with a passion. I cant even do a hard reset with it due to the upgrade. Apple keep making it harder for us with these changes.

• @MusicInclusive said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Rich303 said:

I think there are some inherent trade offs between the stability of a platform, being able to offer continued support for software that has not been updated, and ease of use. My perception is that iOS was created to provide a streamlined user experience with minimal configuration needed relative to the experience on a PC platform. A lack of file management and sand boxing apps were decisions made to support an ease of use experience. Similarly, Apple uses proprietary approaches to create a strong link between their hardware and software. As new hardware and iOS develops, they have different capacities/functionality versus previous hardware/iOS. Consequently, each version of iOS is optimized for a particular set of hardware as well which means that eventually older devices are left behind.

As for a focus on profits, Apple is legally obligated to its shareholders who are focused on getting a return on their investment. There will always be a balance to be struck between offering new features/capabilities for sales versus supporting older devices to satisfy existing customers. The window of compatibility seems to be 2-3 years. In many respects I see the iOS environment as being based upon a leasing model originally driven by two year phone contracts.

I believe an understanding of the role Apple, developers, and users have in creating the iOS experience helps me to make more informed decisions about what I can expect in the future. It can be easy to see Apple as a mega corporation and pin all of our dissatisfaction on them without acknowledging that the degree to which users support developers also plays a role in their willingness to support apps along with their commitment to their users.

• @MusicInclusive said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Maybe instead of updating Tabletop, Retronyms will update their other apps to support Audiobus

Retronyms' other mainstream apps - iMini, iProphet, etc. - already do. It's TableTop that doesn't.

Interested to see if they do update it. I mean, surely, but ya never know...

• Just a gentle nudge folks. :smiley: The debate is good an' all :wink: but if we can collectively identify apps that need updating per my list above - add to it your own that you know of - and then contact the developers we may find that the answer to this thread's question just becomes "Alchemy" :smiley:

So, do please continue to list apps that you know need updating from 32 bit and then I'd encourage us to contact the developers to update them accordingly.

:+1:

• None. I'm not updating to ios 11 until Nanostudio 2 comes out.

• Any news about Samplr ?
    Im trying to contact Marcos Alonso and cant find an email adres. I dont think he cares anymore since he is a human interface designer working for apple. Must be a piece of cake updating Samplr after checking his reputation. https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosar

• @Proto said:
    Any news about Samplr ?
    Im trying to contact Marcos Alonso and cant find an email adres. I dont think he cares anymore since he is a human interface designer working for apple. Must be a piece of cake updating Samplr after checking his reputation. https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosar

On Samplr's FB page there is a thread where the dev mentions that he is working on an update, but that was in March 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/SamplrApp/posts/1096835917004488

• @guiltysouls said:

@Proto said:
    Any news about Samplr ?

On Samplr's FB page there is a thread where the dev mentions that he is working on an update, but that was in March 2016.

I dont have a facebook account, but I can now see a tiny light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks.

• @Proto said:

@guiltysouls said:

@Proto said:
    Any news about Samplr ?

I dont have a facebook account, but I can now see a tiny light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks.

• @Lacm1993 said:

@Proto said:

@guiltysouls said:

@Proto said:
    Any news about Samplr ?

You made my day and let's hope he is real serious about this. :)

• Cool, I thought Samplr was fine, I must have just clicked through the warning ages ago.