Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What favorite 32-bit music apps are you going to miss?

Comments

• What I can say is IOS for a live performance is still unstable. If 64 bits help fixing this, then go for it...
    That said, I also agree that code/apps lost is sad, and there should be a way to save it somehow.

But, stability for live ? Fuck, yeah, bring it on ! :D

• @paradiddle said:
    ipad air 1 here and it's gonna stay at ios 10. i'll get a newer ipad. that's it.

Best get that before 11 comes out, because you won't be able to go back.

• @brambos said:

@MusicInclusive said:
    . They are not currently cluttering up my iPad presently. I don't notice they are there.

Yes you do. Every time you look how much free space you have left. You basically have iOS 6 and iOS 10 installed at the same time. Just for those two or three laggard apps. :#

No - I don't - esp. not on my 128GB mini 4. Nope. Not a problem. :smiley: Doesn't bother me.

Actually, nor on any of my 16GB devices either :wink: Still doesn't bother me. I have GB of free space.

• Werried about Werkbench!

• edited February 2017

@MusicInclusive said:

@brambos said:

@MusicInclusive said:
    . They are not currently cluttering up my iPad presently. I don't notice they are there.

Yes you do. Every time you look how much free space you have left. You basically have iOS 6 and iOS 10 installed at the same time. Just for those two or three laggard apps. :#

No - I don't - esp. not on my 128GB mini 4. Nope. Not a problem. :smiley: Doesn't bother me.

Actually, nor on any of my 16GB devices either :wink: Still doesn't bother me. I have GB of free space.

No need to convince me. I'm only trying to offer some perspective and I can't change anything about it; only Apple can. And Apple are not known for making complicated exceptions which only benefit a tiny minority of users. So whatever we say or do, this train has already left the station.

I can't think of any non-music app that has ever given me the "may slow down your system" warning. So it's likely a non-issue for virtually every iOS user except a for few of us who keep some ancient abandonware around.

Now, what you can arguably blame those developers for is keeping apps in the store when they're past their 'expiration date' and they have no intention to do basic maintenance.

• Is this the end for Bebot?

• @brambos said:
    ... So whatever we say or do, this train has already left the station.

I can't think of any non-music app that has ever given me the "may slow down your system" warning. So it's likely a non-issue for virtually every iOS user except a for few of us who keep some ancient abandonware around.

Now, what you can arguably blame those developers for is keeping apps in the store when they're past their 'expiration date' and they have no intention to do basic maintenance.

Actually, as I've been making the point elsewhere too, that's not necessarily the case. (Although I strongly suspect it is in this case). We do have a voice. There are various ways we can contact Apple and express our concerns. I have actually already done so. In the past, because iC contacted Apple the problem Apple introduced in iOS with clock sync between two devices got fixed. Likewise, the buffering issues that reigned from iOS 8 through to iOS 9.2 got fixed - largely due to the work of Geert Bevin and Moog, along with reports from the Audiobus team. I wrote to Tim Cook personally about those issues too.

If we do and say nothing, things will definitely not happen. If we say something, something may change.

One of the reasons of my OP was to see if we could easily compile a list together of apps that would break. The biggest one for many is the original Alchemy.

I don't buy apps with the thought of them having an "expiration date". I don't do that with applications on the desktop. I don't do that generally in other arenas. OK food, clothes, nail files perhaps - hey - I'm a guitarist :smiley: - but for most things I assume they'll keep on going and that I can replace them with something identical (or they will have otherwise outlived their usefulness - not true of musical instruments; I get them repaired, tuned, etc.). But I don't set out to imagine that the things I buy will have a 3-year life span and expire on a certain day. Not normally. Maybe I just shop differently to everyone else :smile:

Why should we in the iOS environment?

• @MusicInclusive said:

You shouldn't. Not as a user. I was talking about the developers. They should remove their apps from the store or update whenever a new OS introduces compatibility issues.

• OK then - simple question:
    Do you get the warning "This app might slow down your ipad" when you try to purchase a 32 bit app in the Appstore? Or only later, when you run it? Why is that so?

• edited February 2017

@MusicInclusive I see your point, but it seems here this action is to avoid unexpected random bugs, as far as I understand...
    One thing I'm sure, is that the actual IOS is not good and stable enough.
    I don't see "Trumpisme" here or a way to oppress a minority of some sort.
    Just a way to tend to fix things.
    I guess a fair good action would be a refund of all apps bought that won't run anymore ? Selling apps on a device that can't run, on the same device...Well...

So technically, seems the best thing to do, legally, they should refund these apps.

• @brambos said:

@MusicInclusive said:

You shouldn't. Not as a user. I was talking about the developers. They should remove their apps from the store or update whenever a new OS introduces compatibility issues.

Ah! So, Apple should offer the original sound packs for Alchemy then should they not? Perhaps? :smile:

• Hi,

Talked to audeonics dev ( Midibridge) and they are going to beta test a new 64 bit version that will be sold as a separate app ( with discount for old users). So seems long life for Midibridge ( essential for me).

• Ah! So, Apple should offer the original sound packs for Alchemy then should they not? Perhaps? :smile:

I guess that question should be answered by a lawyer or perhaps a philosopher, not by a designer/developer :D

• What i understood is when apps are not updated since 1 feb 2015 they don't have 64 bit support and are removed from the store. If this is true, its a way to see if an app supports 64bit before doing any new purchases.

• @MusicInclusive said:

Likewise on iOS. Don't understand that argument - esp. when one has already paid for the appication on iOS - if it works, why should I be unable to use what I have paid for.

How about not update to the FREE future OS? Then you can absolutely continue to use what you have paid for.

Problem solved?

• @realdavidai said:

@MusicInclusive said:

Likewise on iOS. Don't understand that argument - esp. when one has already paid for the appication on iOS - if it works, why should I be unable to use what I have paid for.

How about not update to the FREE future OS? Then you can absolutely continue to use what you have paid for.

Problem solved?

Maybe I should work on getting a design for a Linux tablet that will run music apps :wink:

• @brambos said:

There are a number of quite popular games which are only available on 32 bit and will never be upgraded. That's what I'll miss (or not upgrade because of) most :(

• @MusicInclusive said:

@realdavidai said:

@MusicInclusive said:

Problem solved?

Maybe I should work on getting a design for a Linux tablet that will run music apps :wink:

https://learn.adafruit.com/7-portable-raspberry-pi-multitouch-tablet/overview

• edited February 2017

@skoptic said:

@brambos said:

There are a number of quite popular games which are only available on 32 bit and will never be upgraded. That's what I'll miss (or not upgrade because of) most :(

Like which ones?. As you, I was thinking games as the kind of apps mainstream users might miss in this transition but I can't think of a massively popular mobile game that hasn't been updated in a while. There's gotta be lots of unknown niche games abandoned but those probably won't matter as much to anyone.

• @u0421793 said:

@MusicInclusive said:

https://learn.adafruit.com/7-portable-raspberry-pi-multitouch-tablet/overview

That's more of a lunchbox :smiley:

@realdavidai said:

@MusicInclusive said:

Problem solved?

But, to just readdress the other Q from @realdavidai more soberly. The issue with Apple is, yes, sure, they give away the OS. But what Apple does or doesn't do with the OS isn't the concern. I didn't pay Apple (OK, I did, via the app store, but that's not what I mean - I mean the devs) for Alchemy, or SynthX, or any of the other apps that folks have mentioned here. What Apple does or doesn't do with iOS in terms of cost isn't the issue. If Apple offered a "premium 32-bit compatible" version of iOS 11 for $ then maybe I'd pay for it in addition.

The concern for me and many others is twofold: a.) ongoing user-environment stability and b.) paying for something that I (will) no longer have access to. Both of these are issues with Apple's far too rapid update schedule. Nothing has been added to iOS - with the exception of AUs perhaps - that I have needed from an audio perspective since iOS 7.1.2. I don't need balloons. :smiley: Really!

• @realdavidai said:

@MusicInclusive said:

Problem solved.

Its the only and best solution at the moment.

• @realdavidai said:

@MusicInclusive said:

Problem solved?

Not updating means receiving 2-3 times per day the Apple message to update.at the end you just update to avoid the annoying messages...so not really solved

• edited February 2017

@MusicInclusive said:

The concern for me and many others is twofold: a.) ongoing user-environment stability and b.) paying for something that I (will) no longer have access to. Both of these are issues with Apple's far too rapid update schedule. Nothing has been added to iOS - with the exception of AUs perhaps - that I have needed from an audio perspective since iOS 7.1.2. I don't need balloons. :smiley: Really!

From an audio perspective I recall buying hardware that was rarely updated. I bought what I bought, when it no longer was useful to me I bought something else. So perhaps if iOS 7 does the trick for people then -- just stick with what works. Use the device as an immutable appliance that you can depend on.

As for me I like the current pace of development and have adjusted my expectations and strategies to suit.

• @realdavidai said:

@MusicInclusive said:

From an audio perspective I recall buying hardware that was rarely updated. I bought what I bought, when it no longer was useful to me I bought something else. So perhaps if iOS 7 does the trick for people then -- just stick with what works. Use the device as an immutable appliance that you can depend on.

As for me I like the current pace of development and have adjusted my expectations and strategies to suit.

Ah - see that's where I said above, my purchasing approach might be different. I see a set of strings for a guitar as something consumable. I see the guitar itself as something that will last a lifetime (barring repair, accident, theft, TSA ( :wink: ) etc. - so, yes, I have it insured as well. I also have my iPads insured and my desktop software (Pro Tools, Studio One, etc.) is insured. Can't insure my iOS apps though.) Same with synths - they are likewise items that I would maintain and repair (have had repaired) if there are issues. Not consumable or temporary or limited lifetime items. I haven't had a single item that has been no longer useful - if not to me, to someone else (Exception: audio interfaces that have died and been uneconomical to repair).

• @db909 said:
    Is this the end for Bebot?

COURAGE!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

COURAGE!

I don't get it. But I'll assume it's clever and spot on.

• edited February 2017

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

COURAGE!

• @db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

COURAGE!

"Courage" was Tim Cook's rationale for removing the headphone jack.

It's his version of the reality distortion field.

• My perspective is that iOS is a rapidly evolving platform and the needs of musicians are a relatively small portion of their user base so if their needs conflict with the larger user base, we're out of luck. I'd also say the musician user base isn't a uniform one either.

Given the economics of the App Store and the struggle many developers have to make iOS music creation apps a sustainable business, there will be a certain proportion of apps that will lose functionality as new iOS and iOS devices are released.

@brambos thanks for sharing information about why bitcode support can make it easier for developers to extend the compatibility of apps and why Apple would want to phase out and eliminate 32 bit apps completely as well as what developers can do to make their apps 64 bit.

For me, I've kept track of how developers have supported their apps versus those who haven't and factor it into my purchasing decisions.

It seems reasonable to me that when developers do a major rewrite of their app like with the upcoming BM3 app, that they're able to release it as a new app and have users buy it to support the work and improved functionality they've created for us.

Expecting to be able to use an app indefinitely while running the latest iOS on the latest device seems unreasonable for smaller developers if they don't have a way to sustain their efforts particularly when it's my understanding that most music creation app sales are during the initial release period. It seems developers have to create new apps on a periodic basis to generate revenue and update their older apps primarily to satisfy their users rather than to generate additional sales.

• @brambos said:

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

COURAGE!

"Courage" was Tim Cook's rationale for removing the headphone jack.

It's his version of the reality distortion field.

Exactly. And in other news just as credible (to me):