Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What favorite 32-bit music apps are you going to miss?

Comments

• BitWiz by Kymatica :'(
    Please update it!

• ipad air 1 here and it's gonna stay at ios 10. i'll get a newer ipad. that's it.

• I am glad I kept my old iPad 2 but does this mean that if I have to restore even my old iPad 2 I have lost those apps because they are no longer available in the App Store?

I will really miss Caustic, Sunrizer and NanoStudio because they were one of my favourite Apps on iOS.

• Cube and MicroTERA along with those already listed. No update for me until these and a few others are updated.

• @MusicInclusive said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Beepstreet is working on a new synth, and once he's finished with that, I believe he'll update Sunrizer. Beepstreet is an independent type of developer who cares about his fans.

GTK. :+1:

We may be without Sunrizer for a few months if Beepstreet doesn't update it before iOS 11, but we'll be alright.

More like: Apple will be without our update to iOS 11 for a few months :wink:

Well yeah, pretty much, lol.

• Boom 808 and 909.

• @MusicInclusive said:

@nick said:
    Z3TA+

Z3TA+ is dual arch:

z3ta: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [armv7: Mach-O armv7 executable, flags:<NOUNDEFS|DYLDLINK|TWOLEVEL|WEAK_DEFINES|BINDS_TO_WEAK|PIE>] [arm64]

ah, that's great, thanks for checking that! that would have been the most missed music app for me (among those candidates that haven't had an update in years)

• edited February 2017

Of all the apps already mentioned, the one that I would be really sad to lose is Impaktor. Others I'd also miss would be bitwiz and thor, but not nearly as much.

• Caustic has just been updated.

• @mister_rz said:
    My strange agency stuff and things like audio palette and noteplex, might keep my air 2 on 9.3.5 tho.

Worse thing I did, updating mine to 10x - the rotation bug is driving me nuts.

• I hope Samplr is 64bit. Its not showing any warning messages when launching it, but its not updated for a long time. Please,please,please.

• @gmslayton said:
    Just found one, MidiBridge. But I hardly ever use it.

Sunrizer as well. I guess I havent opened all my apps since I updated to iOS 10.

Damn, I still use this one all the time.

• @Proto said:
    I hope Samplr is 64bit. Its not showing any warning messages when launching it, but its not updated for a long time. Please,please,please.

pretty sure the message only shows up the first time you run the app. and i also vaguely remember seeing it with samplr the first time i ran it after the IOS10 update :(

• edited February 2017

@gonekrazy3000

Bad news together with midibridge which I use to sync Samplr's midi clock.
    Only I can't imagine why the dev from Samplr won't update the app after such a succes.

• @5pinlink said:
    Any developer who is not continually and actively updating their apps should be avoided, Apple are the kings at breaking things not only in IOS but OSX too.

Hmmm. Perhaps they died. One never knows... Should folks avoid all of Günter Hager's Windoze synth applications just because he died? He can't update any of those from being 32-bit. Yet they are some of the best VSTs on Windoze.

Rather there is a very active user base. And, all his synths still run on Windoze 10 (64-bit). Bridged maybe, but they do work - just fine.

Likewise on iOS. Don't understand that argument - esp. when one has already paid for the appication on iOS - if it works, why should I be unable to use what I have paid for.

• @5pinlink said:
    I never mentioned death, and your argument falls apart because there is no bit bridge on IOS, i am not entirely sure what your point is ?
    Apple are at fault because they are dropping outdated tech ?
    Developers are at fault because they haven't designed a bit bridge for IOS ?
    I'm at fault because i point out that you should avoid developers who dont update to keep up with IOS ?
    Life is at fault because you die ?

Where exactly are you going with this ?
    32 bit is dying, move on.

Didn't say you did :smile: - I was making an additional point. :+1: Apple are indeed at fault for not supporting legacy users IMO. Yes.

Outdated is relative. I can still use 16-bit programs from 22 years ago on Windoze 10. They work perfectly and do not slow down the system. I do so.

There is no bridging mechanism on iOS - sure; never said there was. I was talking about Windoze there by way of comparison of what can work very well vs. what's being made not to work, and yet there is the ability on iOS - currently - to run 32-bit audio apps and 64-bit audio apps seamlessly together in Audiobus or via IAA. It is minimal effort to keep that ability around compared to everything else Apple is doing.

I wasn't saying you were at fault. :smile: I was adding another thread of thinking - namely - that it may not be because someone is not bothering but because they have died. That could happen today, with a 64-bit app.

32-bit and even 16-bit is still very much alive in some of my other systems. So, yes, I can run 22-year old programs on Windoze just fine. :smile: I don't want to move on from doing that because that would deprive me of functionality I currently have - and have paid for. And that's the point here. We have paid for these apps and Apple is determining we can no longer use them.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Boom 808 and 909.

i love these but theyve already become orfanware without link :/

• The worst thing is those apps that never got to exist, which we never got to purchase and use, because their manufacturing companies were never built because those manufacturers owners were never born. I can't even count the amount of apps I've got that I don't have because they don't exist because a bunch of people some time ago were never born.

• @u0421793 said:
    The worst thing is those apps that never got to exist, which we never got to purchase and use, because their manufacturing companies were never built because those manufacturers owners were never born. I can't even count the amount of apps I've got that I don't have because they don't exist because a bunch of people some time ago were never born.

That's very .... alternate :smiley:

• @MusicInclusive said
    We have paid for these apps and Apple is determining we can no longer use them.

This is exactly the point. It's a business decision, not at decision based on what's tecnically possible. Just another bold move from Apple.

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    @MusicInclusive said
    We have paid for these apps and Apple is determining we can no longer use them.

This is exactly the point. It's a business decision, not at decision based on what's tecnically possible. Just another bold move from Apple.

To be clear: what I'm saying about that is that it's a business decision from Apple with moral implications for the user. I.e. they are depriving the user from using something they have paid for. The business decision doesn't exist in a moral vacuum.

• @MonzoPro said:

@mister_rz said:
    My strange agency stuff and things like audio palette and noteplex, might keep my air 2 on 9.3.5 tho.

Was thinking of updating to 10.2 as my logic remote app has stopped working, but reading into a bit, seems like this is affecting the air 2 quite a lot, so I'm going to stay put, hope 10.3 sorts it out for ya, if I hear good things I'll update to check out the file system upgrades.

• Keeping 32 bit libraries around effectively doubles the size of iOS and will eventually cause performance degradation and unpredictable issues, which Apple will take the blame for. I can understand their motivations, which are hardly evil and devious as some are hinting. And it's not like they're catching the dev community by surprise; they've been warning us since iOS 7.

• @mister_rz said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mister_rz said:

Was thinking of updating to 10.2 as my logic remote app has stopped working, but reading into a bit, seems like this is affecting the air 2 quite a lot, so I'm going to stay put, hope 10.3 sorts it out for ya, if I hear good things I'll update to check out the file system upgrades.

For some reason it went haywire when the last upgrade nag turned up - it was getting stuck constantly, I nearly threw the thing out the window at one point. After updating its calmed down a bit, probably only done it a couple of times in the last week.

• @brambos said:
    Keeping 32 bit libraries around effectively doubles the size of iOS and will eventually cause performance degradation and unpredictable issues, which Apple will take the blame for. I can understand their motivations, which are hardly evil and devious as some are hinting. And it's not like they're catching the dev community by surprise; they've been warning us since iOS 7.

But the paying customers has not been warned, and afaik are still not, at least not before purchase. Are you saing that the devs has known this for 3-4 years now? The discontunuing of 32 bit apps from IOS 11 that is.

• @u0421793 said:
    I absolutely won't miss Akai's ridiculous Synthstation app.

Definitely.

I am going to miss my SynthStation 25 if MidiBridge goes away though. :(

• @MonzoPro said:

@mister_rz said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mister_rz said:

For some reason it went haywire when the last upgrade nag turned up - it was getting stuck constantly, I nearly threw the thing out the window at one point. After updating its calmed down a bit, probably only done it a couple of times in the last week.

I remember once the lcd screen for my kurzweil was playing up, it would go off, I'd tap it then it would come back on, one day when I was editing a sound, it went off and I lost my cool and punched it. It came back on and funnily enough, stayed on, but I'd broke the screen and it was leaking strange colours, £100+ pounds later, I'd learnt a valuable life lesson, never edit in your underpants, it will lure you into a more primitive state of mind, I wear a sleeveless shirt and clip on tie now when I edit things.

Good to hear that it's calmed down a bit with the new update, I'm very tempted to try 10.3 when it lands and keep my air 2 on that if everything is working alright, this thread has made me realise how many 32bit apps I still use and enjoy, no ios 11 for booboo (what I call my ipad).

• @DeVlaeminck said:

@brambos said:
    Keeping 32 bit libraries around effectively doubles the size of iOS and will eventually cause performance degradation and unpredictable issues, which Apple will take the blame for. I can understand their motivations, which are hardly evil and devious as some are hinting. And it's not like they're catching the dev community by surprise; they've been warning us since iOS 7.

But the paying customers has not been warned, and afaik are still not, at least not before purchase. Are you saing that the devs has known this for 3-4 years now? The discontunuing of 32 bit apps from IOS 11 that is.

They didn't specify iOS 11 as the hard cutoff point (and they still haven't; that seems to be our own interpretation of the warning). But we all knew it would happen at some point because they've been warning devs since iOS7 whenever we'd try to submit a 32bit app for review.

But whatever way you look at it, it's simply technology progressing. Unless you want to keep lugging old 32 bit libraries around for eternity you have to cut off support at some point. And for developers it's just a matter of recompiling and resubmitting (unless they're using deprecated api calls, which is another problem altogether).

And with the new (optional) bitcode support for iOS, app compatibility may even be longer than before because Apple can recompile apps internally if new devices or platform changes demand an update which the dev hasn't provided. So situations like this may be a thing of the past.

• @brambos said:

Unless you want to keep lugging old 32 bit libraries around...

Yes - that's exactly it. I do want to keep those 32-bit libraries around. They are not currently cluttering up my iPad presently. I don't notice they are there. I'm happy to have them. I want them to stay! :smiley: If I can do what I can do with music apps now - including having those libraries around - then, yes, let them "clutter". I haven't noticed yet. :smile:

• @MusicInclusive said:
    . They are not currently cluttering up my iPad presently. I don't notice they are there.

Yes you do. Every time you look how much free space you have left. You basically have iOS 6 and iOS 10 installed at the same time. Just for those two or three laggard apps. :#