Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tonality - Music Reference by Bryce Hostetler - Updated with Midi and Auv3 support

Comments

• @TonalityApp wow, Im so happy to hear that! The midi export is going to be great for generating chord progressions.
    And thanks for all the work you’ve put into Tonality - this is one of those apps that just keep getting better!

• edited August 2020

@TonalityApp said:
    @ecou Glad you're getting into it! The chord pads are designed for live usage, so they don't currently respond to transport controls or sync. I would like to implement something along those lines (and actually have to some degree, just haven't released it) but there are a few things I still need to work out. Would you want the pads to be triggered on each beat? Each measure? Should they have a customizable duration and pattern? Should it loop? There are a lot of things to consider and I'm trying to balance the immediacy of the pads with these features that would turn it into more of a sequencer. Any input from your use case is welcome.

Thank you for the kick reply. Using on the beat with a duration and loop back at the end would be amazing. Rozeta as a clever way of doing it. On each pattern you can choose one of the following options.

• @TonalityApp said:
    @ecou Glad you're getting into it! The chord pads are designed for live usage, so they don't currently respond to transport controls or sync. I would like to implement something along those lines (and actually have to some degree, just haven't released it) but there are a few things I still need to work out. Would you want the pads to be triggered on each beat? Each measure? Should they have a customizable duration and pattern? Should it loop? There are a lot of things to consider and I'm trying to balance the immediacy of the pads with these features that would turn it into more of a sequencer. Any input from your use case is welcome.

+1 on this. I want to use Tonality - which is far and away the best chorder app for people who can't play keyboards, like me - to add chords in sync, too.

• @TonalityApp did the guitar/tab view of scales get any love yet? Just wondering as there’s so much good stuff in this app anyway, but I’m still no good at reading standard notation :)

• @ecou @audio_DT Thanks for the input! If you have further suggestions feel free to contact me directly. I’m making some fairly sweeping changes elsewhere so this would probably be a feature better suited for the update after the next one.

@Krupa It’s high on my list! This one will probably either be in the next update or the one after.

• @TonalityApp said:
    @ecou @audio_DT Thanks for the input! If you have further suggestions feel free to contact me directly. I’m making some fairly sweeping changes elsewhere so this would probably be a feature better suited for the update after the next one.

@Krupa It’s high on my list! This one will probably either be in the next update or the one after.

Many thanks. You improve the app that often (kudos to you!) that I was unaware of some of the wonderful improvements already made until recently. I was using a different app for chords but now yours is well and truly at the top of the list. One of the best devs, without doubt.

• @TonalityApp said:
    @ecou @audio_DT Thanks for the input! If you have further suggestions feel free to contact me directly. I’m making some fairly sweeping changes elsewhere so this would probably be a feature better suited for the update after the next one.

Brilliant, ace news and many thanks!

• @TonalityApp
    It is amazing how much this app has evolved and grown.
    It is so useful in so many ways.
    The new features you are working on are very exciting.
    I love the musical terms dictionary.
    Great work on an indispensable app.
    😊

• Opened this app up again yesterday and forgot about all the features it has in standalone. Just want to once again gives praises to @TonalityApp for this great tool. The guitar chord inversion charts are a life saver

• Thank you all! As always I'm glad to hear you're getting good usage out of Tonality.

To all beta testers: I just uploaded the next version and it should be available for testing in the next day or so! Let me know what you think (more details in the testing description on TestFlight). Also let me know if you'd be interested in testing another app in the near future.

• Just finalized the file format for sharing chord pad presets across devices!

I'm thinking of crowd-sourcing some of the entries in the "Inspiration" section of the factory presets . Anyone particularly interested in coming up with pad sets? I might make a section on the Tonality forum, or would Patchstorage be good for this?

• @TonalityApp
    One option could be similar to the inspiration but you can choose to add either the relative major or minor, or the dominant scale, or the sub dominant scale to go with the key and scale you choose. So you have chords in other keys that will work with the key you have choosen, all on one page.

Adding a few more scales for quick chord pad generation would be great too, Just a few, Maybe - Dorian, Lydian, Phrygrian, Mixolydian, Harmonic Major, Harmonic Minor...
    Something like that...

• @TonalityApp said:
    Just finalized the file format for sharing chord pad presets across devices!

I'm thinking of crowd-sourcing some of the entries in the "Inspiration" section of the factory presets . Anyone particularly interested in coming up with pad sets? I might make a section on the Tonality forum, or would Patchstorage be good for this?

If you can import pad presets then patch storage might work well. Just download pad setup and import into tonality, then its saved automatically in your saved pad setups. Could be cool.

• @Poppadocrock Yup – working on more scale based presets! I just realized patch storage only supports a few apps so I'll probably make a section on my forum.

• @TonalityApp Very cool that you’ll be able to share the chord pad presets! It’ll be great for chord progressions of whole songs..
    Patchstorage is handy for any of us that are Drambo or Mozaic users as we’re constantly checking for new or updated additions.. or at least I am.. 🙂 Your own site would be cool too..
    Wherever it is, we’ll find it + bookmark it..

• @royor Here's the temporary location! Presets

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @TonalityApp
    One option could be similar to the inspiration but you can choose to add either the relative major or minor, or the dominant scale, or the sub dominant scale to go with the key and scale you choose. So you have chords in other keys that will work with the key you have choosen, all on one page.

Adding a few more scales for quick chord pad generation would be great too, Just a few, Maybe - Dorian, Lydian, Phrygrian, Mixolydian, Harmonic Major, Harmonic Minor...
    Something like that...

Definitely agree with this. Is it possible to set the scale at all? I don't seek to be able to.

• @audio_DT Do you mean while creating diatonic chord pad sets or just in general?

• @TonalityApp said:
    @audio_DT Do you mean while creating diatonic chord pad sets or just in general?

While creating a diatonic chord set in AU.

• @TonalityApp said:
    @audio_DT Do you mean while creating diatonic chord pad sets or just in general?

Fabulous app, btw. Just staggeringly good 👍

• @audio_DT Thank you! Currently the only options are major/minor with or without sevenths and secondary dominants (accessed from the presets page->scale chords) but I’m probably going to add more!

@royor I did a bit more research and patchstorage looks like it would allow me to show online user patches directly from the app, so if I can get Tonality listed I’ll definitely go with that instead.

• @TonalityApp said:

Amazing to hear. There’s many approaches to developing an app but as a non coding consumer, lol, I’m always happy when the developer is available and open to suggestions. Thanks @TonalityApp

• edited August 2020

@TonalityApp
    Patchstorage would be cool. But it would be nice if you included a few more scales in the update. then you can download more rare scales or interesting template scripts on Patchstorage. It might take a little time to get a decent amount of users who are also on PS to update enough scripts to make it a decent size collection. Heck It might not take as long if they are easy to make, and then upload, but basically my point is it would be great if a handful of scales were baked into Tonality on a upcoming update, then Patchstorage available to fill the need for more rarely used scales and other setups.

One idea for Patchstorage uploads would be to put all the chords of a particular song, say Radiohead- Optimistic, on a template so a user can download the PS script and Easily play/cover/learn the chords of that song. Like “ChordTabPads” Or something.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    One idea for Patchstorage uploads would be to put all the chords of a particular song, say Radiohead- Optimistic, on a template so a user can download the PS script and Easily play/cover/learn the chords of that song. Like “ChordTabPads” Or something.

Precisely what I was thinking! Exact (or advanced) voicings would be a bonus.. 👍

• edited August 2020

@Poppadocrock Sorry I should have been clearer – I'm definitely on board with including more scale-based presets directly in the app. I just meant that I prefer patchstorage to the other forum I was considering for allowing community sharing, which I was envisioning including more pad sets for existing songs like you and @royor mentioned.

• edited August 2020

I'm on the Beta Test and REALLY like the Chord Strummer functionality. Exactly what I've been looking for.

The only thing I can think of that would improve it would be to make the width of the Chord Strum bar resizable. This would make it easy to play 'finger picking' style guitar and would also make it easier to avoid accidentally triggering slideover mode. This could be done by allowing the User to drag the left-hand side of the strummer bar boundary to make it resizable and/or have a Small, Medium and Large option in the Stum bar settings. Maybe the latter is better actually as it couldn't be accidentally triggered like a draggable boundary potentially could.

@TonalityApp I've submitted similar feedback by Testflight:-)

• @charalew Great, thank you and glad it's what you were looking for. I'll probably add the option in the strum bar settings like you suggested.

• edited August 2020

@royor (and beta testers): Tonality is up on Patchstorage!

Direct download from within the app coming shortly

• @TonalityApp Direct download from within the app? Cool! 👍 Will start to think of some tasty chord progressions + complete songs to share.. should be fun!