Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tonality - Music Reference by Bryce Hostetler - Updated with Midi and Auv3 support

Comments

• @audiblevideo Sending a PM now. If anyone else has similar issues please let me know.

• @TonalityApp Are Japanese or Arabic scales in the app somewhere?

• @ahallam Not at the moment, but if you send me scales you want I'll add them to my list (you can also add them as custom scales). Still pretty busy with other things at the moment though

• @TonalityApp said:
    @ahallam Not at the moment, but if you send me scales you want I'll add them to my list (you can also add them as custom scales). Still pretty busy with other things at the moment though

I don’t think I knew about custom scales. Totality is pretty deep, and I’m only just starting to clue in on chords and scales. I wanted to play with some Middle Eastern flavours tho, which is why I asked. I’ll look at the custom scales feature. Thanks! :)

• @aplourde @Shabudua
    Custom chords and scales you create within the main app are now shared with the AU extensions.

• @TonalityApp said:
    @aplourde @Shabudua
    Custom chords and scales you create within the main app are now shared with the AU extensions.

Great, thank you!

• @TonalityApp Currently getting instant crashing on using the latest update to your app on iPad OS 13.4 on my iPad Pro 9.7.

• @Jumpercollins Gah thanks for letting me know. Is this the main app or one of the audio units? Had you previously run the newest version of Tonality on an older iOS?

• Anyone else encountering this? I haven't been able to recreate it nor do I see any crash reports.

• @TonalityApp Total apologies just discovered I’m on a old beta version 7.01 thought I was on the main app. Again apologies for the mistake. Been off the net for 3 months and though I had updated everything since I got back on !

• edited June 2020

Happy Fête de la Musique/Make Music Day/World Music Day (and Father’s Day)! Tonality is free today only.

• Thanks! @TonalityApp have heard a lot about this, looking forward to checking it out

• edited June 2020

just tried, great app ! @TonalityApp

• @Gavinski @mlau Thanks! Hope you enjoy

• I was in Paris a few years back and my relations were celebrating Fête de la Musique in their street. Fantastic atmosphere. Saw it was in this year and yearned to be there! Thanks for a great app (which I bought a while back).

@TonalityApp said:
    Happy Fête de la Musique/Make Music Day/World Music Day (and Father’s Day)! Tonality is free today only.

• I can’t believe this app is Free right now. I use it so much, especially auv3 pads with midi learn.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I can’t believe this app is Free right now. I use it so much, especially auv3 pads with midi learn.

i just downloaded it! excited to try it out tonight

• edited June 2020

@TonalityApp said:

@TimRussell said:
    Cool! I'm getting it just for this!

Awesome! Let me know how it works out and if you have any suggestions. Also be sure to try out the other stuff - it does a lot!

Just downloaded. The keyboard will be useful for typing chords.
    I would love to have a keyboard for rhythm too with note values and rests etc...even if there is no way to hear it back. Was looking for something like that for transcribing comping patterns but have to use paper and pen.
    Polynome is good and great note entry but the score moves left to right with only 4 bars visible at the time

• edited June 2020

@Poppadocrock @ajmiller I'm happy to hear you are continuing to enjoy Tonality!
    @ajmiller That's really cool! I'd love to attend a similar event in the future
    @itsaghost Hope it works out for you!

@sisterkate Glad you're enjoying the keyboard! I had a lot of fun working on it (especially the piano display that parses the chord symbols). I'll have to look into Unicode support for notes and rests, but I've added this to my list. If you have any more feedback feel free to email me. I haven't had too much time to work on Tonality lately, but I'm always glad to listen to suggestions and they all go into my list for future ideas.

@royor Thanks for the endorsement! :D

• @TonalityApp said:

Happy Fête de la Musique/Make Music Day/World Music Day (and Father’s Day) to you too! That’s very generous + supportive of you..
    ❤️ Tonality.. go + get it if you don’t already have it.. so many useful features inside.. and don’t forget the xtra bonus midi AUs.. Chord Pads, Chord + Scale ID and Grand Staff.. The Chord Pads AU is especially useful + easily resizable inside AUM.. it’s great..

• Really glad I managed to get this for free yesterday. But we'll well worth paying the few dollars for for anyone who didn't manage to get it yesterday. Love being able to open it in AUM and play some midi into it to find out the name of a chord or scale. Worth it almost for that alone, but it also does soooo much more. 5 star review on app store coming right up @TonalityApp

• @TonalityApp i was wondering if there was a way or you could add a way to do the AUv3 pads by scale chords, but use a bigger grid. I would love to pick a scale and have those 7 chords, but more then 2 extra spaces to add additional chords. So I can have my scale chords bus also add some 7ths, 9ths, sus, Etc... for some of the chords. With only 2 extra spots I’m somewhat limited. I know I could add a second instance but it be cool if you could choose a key/scale, and choose a few sizes as well, for more space to add additional chords.

It would also be amazing to have a few more scales to choose from when making a pad set. Not a ton but some of the most popular ones. Say, Dorian, Locrian, Phrygian, Mixolodian, and a couple others.

Just a couple thoughts. I totally love the app and everything you have done with it. Cheers.

• @Gavinski Sorry I didn't see this and thank you!
    @Poppadocrock Great idea with the additional modes! Adding it to my list. Did you see that you can resize a pad set to any dimension (2x2 - 12x12) after creating a scale chords layout?

• @TonalityApp said:
    @Gavinski Sorry I didn't see this and thank you!
    @Poppadocrock Great idea with the additional modes! Adding it to my list. Did you see that you can resize a pad set to any dimension (2x2 - 12x12) after creating a scale chords layout?

Awesome news on the new modes, don’t need a bunch but I’m thinking 6-10 of the most popular ones (Counting the 2 you already have) would be great.

I did not know that, that is awesome news, I’ll give it a try today. Thanks. You’re one of the best developers in my book, and I don’t throw that compliment around willy nilly, lol. Cheers.

• I've been meaning to mention a small issue using chord pads. My use case for this my 'bass pedal' setup. I have a preset with 1 note on each chord pad in a chromatic scale, then map those pads to specific notes on a 49 key keyboard, spread out about a 4th or so apart. Then I can hit those notes with my feet as bass pedals. it doesn't matter if I hit 5 notes with my foot, as only the one in the middle will trigger Tonality and play the desired note.
    So anyway, when I load up a song in AUM, I find that often the notes won't trigger, or sometimes the lower 3 or 4 notes might work. But if I first trigger the pads onscreen, they'll then start working on my controller. At one point I thought I had to reselect the preset with Tonality for it to work, so that may have fixed it as well, but it seems triggering on screen does the job.

• @Poppadocrock Thank you! Really glad to hear you appreciate my work

@SimonSomeone Definitely one of the more unique uses I’ve heard :D
    Thanks for bringing the issue to my attention. I think I’ve actually fixed it (I rewrote some of the MIDI triggering code) but I’ll be sure to double check.

• @TonalityApp I bought tonality a long time ago as a theory reference but I am just discovering now how great and feature pack it is.

I am using the chord pads Auv3 to play a synth in audiobus.I select chords and it plays the synth when I click the pad. But when I press play in audiobus it does not play the chords. What am I doing wrong?

• @ecou Glad you're getting into it! The chord pads are designed for live usage, so they don't currently respond to transport controls or sync. I would like to implement something along those lines (and actually have to some degree, just haven't released it) but there are a few things I still need to work out. Would you want the pads to be triggered on each beat? Each measure? Should they have a customizable duration and pattern? Should it loop? There are a lot of things to consider and I'm trying to balance the immediacy of the pads with these features that would turn it into more of a sequencer. Any input from your use case is welcome.

• edited August 2020

@TonalityApp something I’d love is if the chord detector and/or grand staff ‘remembered’ the last note / chord played. That is, if the staff notes and name remained until the next played data.

From a ‘playing’ or transcribing perspective, I could see how this may not be ideal, but the scenario I’m using it in is in visualizing sequenced content. Right now the grand staff and chord visualizer ‘strobe’ quite a bit when I’m sending it a sequence of chords. To remedy this I’ve had to sustain the chords until the next set is played.

Hope that makes sense! Understand if that’s not much of a priority though.

• @aleyas That's a great idea (somewhere between the current default behavior and the 'lock' setting). I'm adding it to my list and will probably release it in the next update. You'll be happy to know I've also added a way to record all the detected chords and export them as a text or midi file