Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elliot Garage’s new app is called “sEGments”

Comments

• Was playing around with EG Pulse last night, which is a solid app too.

Anyway, pre-ordered, and looking forward to this one.

• @Samu said:
    Thankfully this app can do old-school tempo matching as well,
    When ‘Warp’ is disabled the playback-speed/pitch is adjusted to match the host tempo when host sync is enabled thus there is less need to do manual fine pitch adjustments in order to match the tempo.(It works the same way as the AUM built-in file player when host tempo is adjusted).

Sure there’s a bunch of ‘nice to have’ things still missing but adding too much bloat would take away the much of instant funfactor. It’s no Ableton Simpler or Logic Quick Sampler but it still fills a void on iOS :)

This just convinced me.. preordered 👏🏾💪🏾

• Thanks SO MUCH ! It will be my new Fire App :)

@ElliottGarage said:
    Choke groups will be on the final release. About Tuning single slices you can, but now it snaps on semitones shift

• edited June 2020

Late to the party but I was close to the name too (but first with "Segment")
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/802670#Comment_802670
    EGSegmental
    Do I get a code??? o:)

• edited June 2020

@Samu said:
    Thankfully this app can do old-school tempo matching as well,
    When ‘Warp’ is disabled the playback-speed/pitch is adjusted to match the host tempo when host sync is enabled thus there is less need to do manual fine pitch adjustments in order to match the tempo.(It works the same way as the AUM built-in file player when host tempo is adjusted).

Sure there’s a bunch of ‘nice to have’ things still missing but adding too much bloat would take away the much of instant funfactor. It’s no Ableton Simpler or Logic Quick Sampler but it still fills a void on iOS :)

Yeah not so much, it has no setting for number of beats, I have found that most loops play at double speed, so I am still fine tuning them anyway, and trying to fine tune with that slider, hit or miss at best.

• @Turntablist said:

Yeah not so much, it has no setting for number of beats, I have found that most loops play at double speed, so I am still fine tuning them anyway.

I've only tested with loops up to 8 bars and they have played correctly even with just 1 slice when triggering the loop.
    There is an odd glitch when doing extreme host-tempo changes in AUM which goes between 20-999BPM.
    (I'm also having minor issues setting slice points on stereo files when there's a slight timing and level difference between the channels. It would be handy to see both channels instead of a summed & averaged waveform).

I don't know a single app that can't be 'improved' :D

• @Samu said:

@Turntablist said:

Yeah not so much, it has no setting for number of beats, I have found that most loops play at double speed, so I am still fine tuning them anyway.

I've only tested with loops up to 8 bars and they have played correctly even with just 1 slice when triggering the loop.
    There is an odd glitch when doing extreme host-tempo changes in AUM which goes between 20-999BPM.
    (I'm also having minor issues setting slice points on stereo files when there's a slight timing and level difference between the channels. It would be handy to see both channels instead of a summed & averaged waveform).

It simply doesn't work here, I have sent a video to EG, you cant really have a usable sync setting without number of beats anyway, that ends up in a computer trying to guess things which is terrible, but it cuts out, only plays a very short piece of the loop, sometimes plays, sometimes doesn't, and trying to finetune is near impossible with the slider, because there is no fine control, so I have a beat at 174, that is playing double so i have to set it to 87, I can get 86.9 or 87.2, but i will be damned if i can get it to stop at 87

• @Turntablist said:

It simply doesn't work here, I have sent a video to EG, you cant really have a usable sync setting without number of beats anyway, that ends up in a computer trying to guess things which is terrible, but it cuts out, only plays a very short piece of the loop, sometimes plays, sometimes doesn't, and trying to finetune is near impossible with the slider, because there is no fine control, so I have a beat at 174, that is playing double so i have to set it to 87, I can get 86.9 or 87.2, but i will be damned if i can get it to stop at 87

Gotcha...
    Being able to type in the BPM(instead of the jumpy time slider) and setting the number of beats for the file is something that should be there. At least the BPM can be synced to host where the BPM can be dialed in more accurately but there should be an option for half/double-time when synced to host as well.

An 'AI Computer' will never replace the human when it comes to 'perception' and 'desired' choices, it may 'guess' but it can and will guess wrong at least sometimes :D

• @Samu said:
    Gotcha...
    Being able to type in the BPM(instead of the jumpy time slider) and setting the number of beats for the file is something that should be there. At least the BPM can be synced to host where the BPM can be dialed in more accurately but there should be an option for half/double-time when synced to host as well.

An 'AI Computer' will never replace the human when it comes to 'perception' and 'desired' choices, it may 'guess' but it can and will guess wrong at least sometimes :D

That probably will be there for the release...or for the first update

• @ElliottGarage said:

@Samu said:
    Gotcha...

you should release it now, and and then we can watch it grow and get better with every update. i think that is always fun. it’s like getting a new app every update. like touchscaper, it’s so cool to open an update, and have the surprise of a whole new way to play with the app. just something to consider. thanks 😃

• edited June 2020

@eross said:

@ElliottGarage said:

@Samu said:
    Gotcha...

you should release it now, and and then we can watch it grow and get better with every update. i think that is always fun. it’s like getting a new app every update. like touchscaper, it’s so cool to open an update, and have the surprise of a whole new way to play with the app. just something to consider. thanks 😃

Which also results in a ton of email support because XYZ isn't working in some random DAW that wasn't tested, which results in less updates etc etc, it is a fine balance of release vs test, Reapers two cycle release system covers this extremely well and it is bomb proof software, then Renoises one release every twelve thousand years approach has made that bomb proof too, I don't really have an example of something that was released early that is bomb proof to be honest.

• edited June 2020

Can I start recording with a MIDI note or CC, like from a foot pedal? That's often missing, some musicians need both hands elsewhere..

Or maybe I can trim it later, but I would like something that also works in a live situation, like a looper but with additional sampler features, like glitch, modulate start and loop points, slice, key play..

Also patch/sample recall via Program change.

Extra points when it has some BPM recognition (or you tell it how many beats you want to record beforehand) and you can use it to set Link tempo globally (as option) with recorded loop length.

• Yeah, I want this app, but I can wait. I'm just happy to know a date. Looking forward to it being complete on release, or at least very close because it was properly tested and fixed beforehand.

• @kewtips said:
    EGSegmental

I dunno man. EGSegmental is one word, technically speaking. Not sure it exists in any dictionary either. Mine was sEGmenter and I honestly don’t know if that’s a real word either (in English). So if a proper English word was needed, we both failed. But Mr.Garage should of course send us codes anyways, it’s soon Christmas and all, right?

• Anyone on the fence here, I will say that @ElliottGarage is one of the most responsive devs I’ve seen out there. Solid stuff and always quick to jump on bugs and quick enhancements. I’ve mentioned things that were fixed in an update the same or following week. Can’t say that will always happen, but definitely a trustworthy dev here.

• Beta testers having fun!

• @ChrisG said:

@kewtips said:
    EGSegmental

I dunno man. EGSegmental is one word, technically speaking. Not sure it exists in any dictionary either. Mine was sEGmenter and I honestly don’t know if that’s a real word either (in English). So if a proper English word was needed, we both failed. But Mr.Garage should of course send us codes anyways, it’s soon Christmas and all, right?

You have persuaded me. It IS nearly Christmas.

Actually I am very undeserving and should pay for my own copy of Egsegmental/sEGments.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    Thanks @DukeWonder !!

agreed ...excellent dev!

• @DukeWonder said:
    Anyone on the fence here, I will say that @ElliottGarage is one of the most responsive devs I’ve seen out there. Solid stuff and always quick to jump on bugs and quick enhancements. I’ve mentioned things that were fixed in an update the same or following week. Can’t say that will always happen, but definitely a trustworthy dev here.

+1
    EG Pulse‘s evolution was fun to witness.. look where it’s at now.. @ElliottGarage = great dev!

• @royor said:

@DukeWonder said:
    Anyone on the fence here, I will say that @ElliottGarage is one of the most responsive devs I’ve seen out there. Solid stuff and always quick to jump on bugs and quick enhancements. I’ve mentioned things that were fixed in an update the same or following week. Can’t say that will always happen, but definitely a trustworthy dev here.

+1
    EG Pulse‘s evolution was fun to witness.. look where it’s at now.. @ElliottGarage = great dev!

Too right. I’m in anyway, pre-ordered and can’t wait.

• This one pretty much killed the other one for me.

Having both would probably be fun, but I don’t really need both.
    This one is looking way more interesting for what I like to do.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    I’ve been waiting for something similar to Abu Dhabi outside of KORG Gadget. Thanks to @ElliottGarage for bringing this to life

Ditto

• What's are the differences to Virsyn's Reslice?

• @Max_Free said:
    What's are the differences to Virsyn's Reslice?

Live sampling as an AUv3FX would be the big difference, but there are probably a few more.

• @eross said:

@ElliottGarage said:
    Thanks @DukeWonder !!

agreed ...excellent dev!

Absolutely, truly fantastic, super hard-working and responsive dev!

• _ki_ki
    edited June 2020

@Max_Free said:
    What's are the differences to Virsyn's Reslice?

Features of sEGments not available in Reslice:

• Note-On velocity influences the volume
    • AU multibus output for the slices
    • Drag & Drop of samples
    • BPM and key detection
    • Live sampling (if used in FX slot)
    • Lazy chopping (add slices during sampling by tapping its pad)
    • Realtime time stretching and pitch shifting
    • Support for apple loops
    • Midi output (to externally record live played pads)

The dev also announced support for choke groups. And the dev is very responsive and more open to implement feature requests than Virsyn :)

• I never heard anything at anytime from Virsyn, except those „we are having a spring, a summer, an Easter, you name it sale“ on twitter.

• edited June 2020

@royor said:

@DukeWonder said:

+1

+1

Someone as responsive as @ElliottGarage should be supported. He’s part of our community, listens to us, is releasing apps that fill gaps that no other dev is filling sufficiently, and continues to develop apps after release to keep up with new opportunities (like multi out).

The price or this is worth it even if it was just a solid sample slicer that could export straight to EGPulse.

• pre-ordered !