Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KB-1 MIDI Keyboard from Kai Aras

Comments

• @ErrkaPetti said:

This screenshot shows one thing that I don’t understand: why aren’t there C2 to C5 we see?
    Now it’s overlapping C3 octave two times?

No good answer on my question mr @ka010 ?

That is intentional, otherwise the rows would be two instead of one octave apart which I don't think i ideal for playing. That said I'm planning on making this configurable in the future.

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Get in line, he’s busy ignoring my suggestion regarding accelerometer velocity sensing...

Sorry, didn't catch that. I've experimented with this before but wasn't too happy with the results so I dismissed it for now.
    Might take another crack at it further down the road...

@ohwell said:
    @ka010 Will there be 3D Touch support for iPhone - both for aftertouch and velocity? That would be HUUUUUUGE (as of now there are so few options that do a good job with that...)

Yes, 3D touch is supported for pressure/aftertouch but not velocity. If I remember correctly the 3d touch data only updates after touching the screen so it wont help with velocity.

@CracklePot said:
    @ka010 I noticed some weirdness in the scale menu. The last 4 scales are off. I think Spanish got switched with Maj Penta or something.
    Maj Penta gives Spanish
    Min Penta gives Maj Penta
    Arabic gives Min Penta
    Spanish gives Arabic

It seems like the Spanish mapped to the Maj Penta label, and bumped the following 3 scales, so that they give the scale type of the preceding label.

The other scales seem ok.

That's fixed in 1.0.1 which will be out in the coming days.

@mrufino1 said:
    I probably missed something in the thread, but can this do Bluetooth midi or physical midi out, say if I wanted to use it to play my behringer model D onstage? I’d love to use that live sometimes but don’t want to bring a keyboard to gigs again, but my iPad is already on a stand in front of me.

That's exactly what it's made for. Connection-wise it does do pretty much everything:

• Inter-App MIDI
    • Network MIDI
    • Bluetooth MIDI
    • USB IDAM MIDI
    • USB Interface MIDI
  • @ka010 cool, thanks!

• Have purchased. Thanks for the intro offer @ka010

Someone wake me up when it works for iPhone :)

• edited November 2018

@ka010 said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Get in line, he’s busy ignoring my suggestion regarding accelerometer velocity sensing...

Sorry, didn't catch that. I've experimented with this before but wasn't too happy with the results so I dismissed it for now.
    Might take another crack at it further down the road...

Lol. Not a problem. It would be great if you can make it work. iFretless and bs-16i both do it really nicely, so it’s possible... Out of interest, what were the problems?

• @Samu said:
    @ka010 found a 'bug' with the velocity and the on/off light in the AUv3 extensions.

Initially the blue light is 'off' and the keyboard transmits the same velocity regardless of where the key is pressed.

Thats fixed in 1.0.1 as well.

Turning the light on (blue) the keys transmit velocity (top = highest velocity, bottom = lowest).
    After turning 'off' the blue light they keys keep on sending velocity depending on the Y-Axis?!
    (Is there any setting for the default velocity? Maybe add a 'value box' next to the vol button?).

By default you mean what value is used when velocity is off?

And well, I'm one of those crazy people who prefer to have the Y-Axis flipped and one way to do this is to add more options for the VEL button. (Ie. 'dark' = no velocity, 'blue' the way it currently works and 'red' for flipped y-axis).

The 1.0.1 update adds a dedicated button to invert y-axis. Using different colours sounds neat but how would any body know what they mean?

@skulptur_sound said:
    Anyone used this inside BM3?? How did it do?

You can load it into any track via the MIDI FX section (left-side menu, third icon from the bottom)

• @ka010 said:

Initially the blue light is 'off' and the keyboard transmits the same velocity regardless of where the key is pressed.

Thats fixed in 1.0.1 as well.

Goodie, looking forward to the update! :)

By default you mean what value is used when velocity is off?

Yes, This is quite useful for setting a fixed velocity for the keys.

The 1.0.1 update adds a dedicated button to invert y-axis. Using different colours sounds neat but how would any body know what they mean?

Goodie, I was thinking blue for top down 'negative'(ie. 127 to 0) and red for top down 'positive'(ie. 0 to 127) which would save space on the screen, but a dedicated button is even better :)

• The 1.0.1 update has been approved and should show up soon.

Here's what's included:

• Added an option to invert velocity axis
    • Fixed an issue where velocity would be enabled permanently regardless of it's setting
    • Fixed an issue where scales after wholtone were incorrect
    • Fixed an issue where fourth and fifth row would not work properly when using the chord layout
    • Minor UI tweaks
  • @ka010 said:
    The 1.0.1 update has been approved and should show up soon.

Here's what's included:

• Added an option to invert velocity axis
    • Fixed an issue where velocity would be enabled permanently regardless of it's setting
    • Fixed an issue where scales after wholtone were incorrect
    • Fixed an issue where fourth and fifth row would not work properly when using the chord layout
    • Minor UI tweaks

Awesome. Thank you @ka010 !
    :)

• @kobamoto said:
    sheeesh fellas give Ka010 a chance he'll be around, it's not as if he made the playground app and didn't include sample import or something, no what I mean vern...

Oh snap

• edited November 2018

Great with this v.1.01 update out now!

But, what do you mean with this ”removed IAA port”?

• It was showing up as an IAA app under an odd name in BM3 (it wouldn’t load).

• Am I going crazy, or did the chord pads offer inversions (when using 2+ rows) before the update?

• edited November 2018

Also, the issue with keys not triggering in Cubasis is still present.

Seems to be reproducible by switching back and forth between an AU instrument view and KB-1.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

@blakkaz said:
    Am I going crazy, or did the chord pads offer inversions (when using 2+ rows) before the update?

No, you’re not crazy. They did before. I hope they come back...

• @wim said:

@blakkaz said:
    Am I going crazy, or did the chord pads offer inversions (when using 2+ rows) before the update?

No, you’re not crazy. They did before. I hope they come back...

Damnit, that was one of the best things about the app.

• Whoops... that wasn't intentional... already submitted a fix tho, should be out anytime now.

• Is there any possibility that the standalone app could be compatible with iOS 10.3? I know the AU needs a higher iOS version for MIDI out. I have no idea if this is easy or even doable, just thought I would ask.

I have an iPad 4 that would make a great keyboard!

• @yowza said:
    Is there any possibility that the standalone app could be compatible with iOS 10.3? I know the AU needs a higher iOS version for MIDI out. I have no idea if this is easy or even doable, just thought I would ask.

I have an iPad 4 that would make a great keyboard!

Yes, looking into that for the next update. Shouldn't be a problem just need to be careful about it so I didn't want to rush including it.

• @ka010 Thanks for your (continuing) work on this cool thing...

• Nice app, it is really convientient and has worked well for me so far. I didn't read the whole thread but I just wanted to ask about the fretboard mode: Is there a way to have a 4-6 string bass in 4ths and a 6 string in guitar 4ths with that darn guitar interval on the higher string? Then I can make stuff for my guitarist friends and well as unison lines in a fast fusion style! Cheers man, and as a super niche request is a chapman stick layout! Thats the instrument I play, but I know it is not so common so I kinda joke but it would blow away all the stick players.

• @ka010, I think it would be useful if, when velocity by position is off, the velocity dial set the fixed velocity.

• @wim said:
    @ka010, I think it would be useful if, when velocity by position is off, the velocity dial set the fixed velocity.

Agreed, I thought that the 'velocity circle' in the preferences would do that when velocity is not activated?!

Another option that could be handy is to set the min & max velocity between which the app would interpolate when velocity is on. When velocity is off the app could use either the min or max value.

• @Samu said:

@wim said:
    @ka010, I think it would be useful if, when velocity by position is off, the velocity dial set the fixed velocity.

Agreed, I thought that the 'velocity circle' in the preferences would do that when velocity is not activated?!

No, the velocity circle doesn’t do that. I think it would be helpful if it did.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @ka010 Thanks for your (continuing) work on this cool thing...

yep what a dev, stepping down from the fence on this one as fast as a sloth can go

• Some real potential for this app - appreciating the efforts so far.
    Strange there aren't a lot more of these type of controllers available. Would there be a way of getting a sustain switch included? Or even better... a row of definable CC controllers :)

• @ka010. It seems that the AU keyboard doesn’t work with the “Virtual Midi Out” in AudioBus’ midi page. I tried to send to Korg Module and it woudn’t work. When I swapped out MidiFlow Keyboard in the same position it did.

Not a big deal, but thought I’d report it.

• @ka010 Any thoughts on a true isomorphic keyboard style? Something similar to a Launchpad, GridInstrument, or GeoShred?

• Thanks guys, glad to see to see so much interest!

@Samu said:

@wim said:

Another option that could be handy is to set the min & max velocity between which the app would interpolate when velocity is on. When velocity is off the app could use either the min or max value.

I generally try to do things knob-per-function simply because otherwise things get complicated way to easily and users end up having to discover stuff by accident. In this case I'll most likely re-do the entire settings page to allow for more options per block.

@brattcave said:
    Some real potential for this app - appreciating the efforts so far.
    Strange there aren't a lot more of these type of controllers available. Would there be a way of getting a sustain switch included? Or even better... a row of definable CC controllers :)

Thats on my list for 1.1, no ETA for this one tho.

@wim said:
    @ka010. It seems that the AU keyboard doesn’t work with the “Virtual Midi Out” in AudioBus’ midi page. I tried to send to Korg Module and it woudn’t work. When I swapped out MidiFlow Keyboard in the same position it did.

Not a big deal, but thought I’d report it.

I'll have a look, thanks!

@mojozart said:
    @ka010 Any thoughts on a true isomorphic keyboard style? Something similar to a Launchpad, GridInstrument, or GeoShred?

Well, the string layout is pretty much that I think? I'm planning to make this more configurable so that you can set the number of frets and spacing between the strings/rows. That sound good?

• i tried animoog, model 15 and D, none worked with kb-1 despite I could choose kb-1 as their midi in.
    Anyone had that bug?

• @Philippe said:
    i tried animoog, model 15 and D, none worked with kb-1 despite I could choose kb-1 as their midi in.
    Anyone had that bug?

They work fine for me. I am choosing them as the Output from KB-1. Do you have Background Audio turned on in the respectiveapps?