Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KB-1 MIDI Keyboard from Kai Aras

Comments

• @Empolo said:

@ka010 said:

@JonLewis said:
    @ka010 is there a rough ETD on the iPhone version? I'm dying over here.

Shouldn't be too long, maybe a week or two.

@ka010 - are you able to share any new info on the iPhone/universal version?

Yep. I’m looking forward to the iPhone version.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Works like a charm with AB3 update. Special big UP to @Michael for his commitment to interoperability and innovation...doesn’t get nearly enough credit for being an iOS Jedi...perhaps he’s the Yoda or Obi of the bunch even.

Oh, and thank you =) (delayed response!!)

• Is this AU a real CPU goblin for anyone else? I love it and it’s a joy to play but it makes me 2018 iPad crackle like Rice Krispies with 1 instance of Beathawk with kosmonaut and rf 1. Without KB-1 I can run 4 of these same channels in AUM.. hmmm

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Is this AU a real CPU goblin for anyone else? I love it and it’s a joy to play but it makes me 2018 iPad crackle like Rice Krispies with 1 instance of Beathawk with kosmonaut and rf 1. Without KB-1 I can run 4 of these same channels in AUM.. hmmm

bump

• @Empolo said:

@ka010 said:

@JonLewis said:

Got caught up with adding new features but I'm planning for the next update to be universal. Hoping later this month.

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Is this AU a real CPU goblin for anyone else? I love it and it’s a joy to play but it makes me 2018 iPad crackle like Rice Krispies with 1 instance of Beathawk with kosmonaut and rf 1. Without KB-1 I can run 4 of these same channels in AUM.. hmmm

Hmm that's odd. It's pretty light on the CPU.
    Are you using the AU or standalone? MPE or any of the expressive options enabled? Also, does changing the layout make a difference?

• @ka010 Great news on universal! KB-1, along with just a couple others, are on my to-buy list once out/made universal.. Thanks for the update.

• @ka010 said:

@Empolo said:

@ka010 said:

@JonLewis said:

Got caught up with adding new features but I'm planning for the next update to be universal. Hoping later this month.

@Gaia.Tree said:

Are you using the AU or standalone? MPE or any of the expressive options enabled? Also, does changing the layout make a difference?

Been trying to reach you (forum, IM, email) about connecting KB-1 to PC DAW to play instruments therein. No joy so far, perhaps user error? App description offers USB connectivity, maybe I misunderstood?

• @ka010 said:

@Empolo said:

@ka010 said:

@JonLewis said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Hey thanks kai, i haven’t played with t in a few days but I will test it out again and get back to you about that. Last time I was using it it was no MPE, AU and with the Scale layout. It would crackle once I got to about 6 simultaneous notes being played.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Been trying to reach you (forum, IM, email) about connecting KB-1 to PC DAW to play instruments therein. No joy so far, perhaps user error? App description offers USB connectivity, maybe I misunderstood?

emailed.

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Hey thanks kai, i haven’t played with t in a few days but I will test it out again and get back to you about that. Last time I was using it it was no MPE, AU and with the Scale layout. It would crackle once I got to about 6 simultaneous notes being played.

Alright, thanks. I'll have a look. If it happens again please let me know.

• @ka010 would be very handy to have a midi panic on kb-1 one day if that's feasible :)

• @Carnbot said:
    @ka010 would be very handy to have a midi panic on kb-1 one day if that's feasible :)

oh sure, shouldn't be a problem.

• edited January 2019

@ka010 / anyone having issues with the chord output, notes in the chord cutting out after a split second, see attached. getting this using virtual midi within ios and when connected to ableton live.

• Some questions...
    1. Does the MPE work with all Noise sound packs? And are the SWAM instruments part of Noise?
    2. Does it work equally well with AB3 as with AUM?
    3. Can you route it directly to Cubasis? Thanks!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Does the MPE work with all Noise sound packs? And are the SWAM instruments part of Noise?

I was looking into Noise again tonight. Noise comes from the Roli Seaboard/Blocks folks and they pretty much invented or caused to be defined the MPE (MIDI Poly-phonic Extensions).

Noise has an embedded keyboard to use with the SWAM IAP's.
    Noise only seems to accept MIDI in the AU (not the standalone) form. The SWAM IAP's only work in the standalone form so they can only be driven with Roli external hardware or the Roli internal keyboard. Getting the sound out of the Noise Standalone would require using the audio out of an IOS device sending into the same or another IOS device to do the recording.

Noise has a Hybrid Acoustics with some strings, orchestra, harp+pads and a few other that work in the AU version in DAW's.
    It loads into AUM for example. I'm sure it works well in AB3 too and can be routed into Cubasis but you won't get the SWAM instruments except by recording the audio out and looping back through an Audio Interface which for me means D-to-A and A-to-D and a loss of the instruments quality. If iConnect4+ keeps the loopback purely digital I'd like that a lot and consider it worth the money to stay purely digital and keep the Apps quality.

I'm sure this is confusing but don't buy Noise to record SWAM instruments in your DAW. Buy them to play them in the Standalone product and hear the sound in your speakers or headphones.

I suspect the SWAM disk streaming just won't run in an AU instance due to resource use and they don't want you to demand they fix the crackling you might get. I bought the IAP without reading the fine print and kept it for the quality of the sound produced. But there are 4-5 and I just paid for 1 and quit.

• Thanks @McDtracy. I actually understood what you said!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @McDtracy. I actually understood what you said!

That's a first for me... I usually get "TL;DR. What are you blathering on about?" (Like I would blather up a keyboard, idiots).

We do want SWAM Instruments that can be routed into some DAW. It's possible I'm missing something but I can't find a way to do it with Noise.

• Just bought this! Pardon my ignorance but how does this hook up so I can use this on a music app say a synth app? How does one get started with it? Thanx!

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    Just bought this! Pardon my ignorance but how does this hook up so I can use this on a music app say a synth app? How does one get started with it? Thanx!

If you give us the specifics of what app you want to use it with, it would help.

Short answer, create a keyboard and select the app you are aiming it at. You may also need to select it as a midi input in the target app. Specifics depend on the actual apps. Setup is different if using as AU.

• Thank you espiegel123. I own a ton of synth and au apps so it would be for those. But it looks like it’s a different set up for each app. I don’t have one particular app in mind. I was just wondering how to start using it with them. Thanks for your help!

• This app just keeps getting better and better I’m on the beta, it works wonders now with SpaceCraft with the X Y Pads and the mix match functionality of layouts.

• @ka010 Any chance for either a 2,5 or 3 octaves option on the keys? On a single row, sliding keyboard when “unlocked” and vice versa, so you can reposition it and also get to keys outside the screen while playing, por favor! :-)

• @ChrisG said:
    @ka010 Any chance for either a 2,5 or 3 octaves option on the keys? On a single row, sliding keyboard when “unlocked” and vice versa, so you can reposition it and also get to keys outside the screen while playing, por favor! :-)

So, more keys in combination with scrolling, did I get that right? How would that getting to the keys outside the screen while playing part work, repositioning while playing?

• also some knobs would be awesome, maybe a small LFO also :) then we have a complete control surface :) and modular on top of that

• Oh and some mappable drum pads, with vertical velocity just like the keys!

• @Hansson said:
    also some knobs would be awesome, maybe a small LFO also :) then we have a complete control surface :) and modular on top of that

There's a new layout with with cc mappable knobs, no LFO tho.

@richardyot said:
    Oh and some mappable drum pads, with vertical velocity just like the keys!

Yup, that's new as well.

• @ka010 said:

@Hansson said:
    also some knobs would be awesome, maybe a small LFO also :) then we have a complete control surface :) and modular on top of that

There's a new layout with with cc mappable knobs, no LFO tho.

@richardyot said:
    Oh and some mappable drum pads, with vertical velocity just like the keys!

Yup, that's new as well.

Nice :)

• edited February 2019

@ka010 said:

@ChrisG said:
    @ka010 Any chance for either a 2,5 or 3 octaves option on the keys? On a single row, sliding keyboard when “unlocked” and vice versa, so you can reposition it and also get to keys outside the screen while playing, por favor! :-)

So, more keys in combination with scrolling, did I get that right? How would that getting to the keys outside the screen while playing part work, repositioning while playing?

Yep exactly. Say you are holding a chord and you need to reach a higher key that's outside the screen, then you drag your fingers, that are holding the chord, to the left. And voila, now you can reach that high key(s) with your pinky (and so on). Most keyboards on iOS that does this also have a lock function so you can shred the screen any way you like without the keys moving around. Having two rows of keys, which is another option some apps go with, is just very awkward since you need to move individual fingers in 4 different directions, not natural if you play the keys.

Another option is to do it just like say IceWorks (Redshrike, Laplace etc etc) or like IK Multimedia with their Syntronic app, to begin with provide options for number of keys that extends beyond 24, and have a small area on top of the keyboard (literary) or beneath, small enough not to interfere with you playing, that you can drag a finger along to move the keys up/down (but still have a lock/unlock switch somewhere). These ones don't allow scrolling while holding keys. But it works as long as the app easily lets you set up and position the keys before playing something.

Velocity should be the highest at the edges of the keys, towards you. You don't want people to have to touch the keys right at the edge with pixel perfection to get to 127, this is something that needs balancing to taste (or let it be completely user controlled). This might already be in the app though, I've been too busy to music lately:(.

• just got an awesome update, now with drum pads plus lots of other things :)

• Wow! What an update!

😍