Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fundamental 2 is out

Comments

• Seems like people are enjoying Fun2 so far but I’m still not entirely convinced yet. For my use case I don’t think it would offer much more in its current form. Gonna see what more updates bring to the table.

• @gusgranite said:

@plants4lifex said:

@gusgranite said:

@plants4lifex said:

@bygjohn said:

@plants4lifex said:
    sorry to interrupt ! I have done some testing with Fundamental2 on AUM using my iPAD pro 2020. There are 2 instances of F2 one performing a morph preset. It is hard to tell what makes the difference. After all, it is like impossible to use a buffer size 64. The CPU moves a lot. But with a setting 512 things look stable, and CPU is around %12. What does mean 512 sound quality wise ? The CPU usage does not get multiplied when I increase the instances. So I wonder how reliable is this meter ?
    I will use this setup on stage with 4 instances, each dedicated to a dancer, and this will be my first stage use of iPad. I am curious and attentive, so people using iPAD live, please share your comments..

The buffer affects latency, rather than sound quality, so as Fundamental isn’t really using much in the way of transients, I would have thought larger buffer sizes would be OK. Are you noticing any big/audible/annoying delay between pressing a controller key and the sound triggering? Or are you just using the on screen controls? In which case the latency probably won’t be an issue.

Thank you for your response. Speaking of controller assignment, my idea is mapping the dancer position to the morph pointer position of each F2 instance. I am not there yet, but will try basic midi controller setup to move the morph pointer. I will report if there is anything annoying.

Cool!

Just an idea but you might also want to look at something like https://holon.ist/ to incorporate movement and midi control?

that looks wonderful, thanks for sharing this. At the moment, I am struggling with the behavior of Fundamental morph pointer. Sometimes a small movement leads to a lot of change, and it evolves in time even when the pointer is steady. I have to limit it to a degree to correlate with things. sounds very rich but is also wild.

Are you using Fundamental as an AU plugin in a DAW like AUM? In AUM you can set ranges to work within I think to make small changes. I might be misunderstanding however. This initiative is probably worth its own thread if you are up for creating one. I’m sure you will get helpful feedback.

@gusgranite Yes, AUM and Fundamental2. I have frequently used MaxMSP and relevant plugins for similar projects but now I want to give a chance to my iPAD, and AUM looks very well optimized. anyway, cheers..

• @Charlesalbert said:

@tehskwrl said:

@gusgranite said:
    I actually hope the developer is OK because this is extremely unprofessional and leaves a bad taste.

I’m questioning this myself. I received an email about updating to Fundamental 2 on desktop...

Long time ago😂😂😂
    They send my discount code one week ago to get fundamental 2 on pc😂😂😂

May I ask what the upgrade conditions for the desktop app were? Just curious ...

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@Charlesalbert said:

@tehskwrl said:

@gusgranite said:
    I actually hope the developer is OK because this is extremely unprofessional and leaves a bad taste.

I’m questioning this myself. I received an email about updating to Fundamental 2 on desktop...

Long time ago😂😂😂

May I ask what the upgrade conditions for the desktop app were? Just curious ...

20 dollar discount.

I owned fundamental on iPad and got fundamental 2 for pc for around 80 dollars.

• @Pynchon said:
    Honestly, I think that the workload that Sinan Bökesoy put in this application was bigger, taking into account that he did the code, but also integrated a lot of the complex systems included in the Cosmof series. We're talking about years of work and investigation. That without counting the support, updates, multiple plugins architectures, operating systems.

They both made the mistake of not having a previous contract stipulating this.

And he has the right to release a second version without Hainbach, because this is the only way in which projects of this complexity can remain profitable.

But releasing a "vengeance" app criticizing Hainbach is a terrible mistake.

I still think that Sinan Bökesoy is a genius and an incredibly talented developer, running one of the most creative plugins companies in the industry.

But he completely lacks social skills. That is a thing that can be said from a lot of other mathematical geniuses like him.

Reducing this down to numbers of hours worked completely misses the point. Not saying that it doesn't figure at all, but it's not uncommon for a team to comprise of 'ideas' men (And no, I'm not suggesting that's all H's contribution amounted to, either), and those who perhaps do more of the heavy lifting on the coding side.

Having Hainbach (Someone whose love and passion for anything of this nature is evident in every word he speaks) is not measurable in workload. And any discrepancies could surely have been ironed out overtime, if communication was clear and honest. Evidenced by the communications from the developer, and his actions in the lead up, it's not hard to imagine who should shoulder most of the responsibility for the breakdown in communication.

Based on this communication, I have decided i will not buy any apps from this developer (I've never owned anything from them, but really wanted Fundamental 2). What I WILL do is use the free version. Ironically, in offering this, Sinan has given us a much 'purer' connection to Hainbach's work, without having to wrestle with the thought of giving money to evidently problematic developers.

I'm happy to honour Hainbach's contribution to this project, and to the world of music in general. And I'm hoping H will continue to share his valuable contributions with other collaborators.

• @enkaytee said:
    Here's what I'm about to do - download the cut down app, write a review stating my personal feelings at his tactics, then delete it...

Why not use it? It's essentially now a Hainbach app

• edited January 2022

@el_bo said:

@enkaytee said:
    Here's what I'm about to do - download the cut down app, write a review stating my personal feelings at his tactics, then delete it...

True, but by making it free, Sinan is ensuring that Hainbach won't be able to benefit financially even though he explicitly states that the app 'brings the test equipment sounds from Hainbach's studio'. Sorry, it still kinda stinks. As I said in other threads I've had personal experience of Sinan's attitude and I think this whole episode is pretty typical of how he operates.

• @enkaytee said:

@el_bo said:

@enkaytee said:

True, but by making it free, Sinan is ensuring that Hainbach won't be able to benefit financially even though he explicitly states that the app 'brings the test equipment sounds from Hainbach's studio'. Sorry, it still kinda stinks. As I said in other threads I've had personal experience of Sinan's attitude and I think this whole episode is pretty typical of how he operates.

I get what you're saying. However - and I'm not trying to speak for Hainbach - in H's situation, I'd rather sever ties completely, even if it meant walking away from money. I've no doubt that H's future is assured within the wider music-making community, so would guess it's perhaps not much of a loss. Sometimes when kiddies throw a tantrum you just got to let 'em get on with it.

I can't be sure, but I might've even read your comments regarding the developer. But I rationalised this, by deciding that I'd be happy to pay the cover price even if it assured me only a year's use before having to buy the next version, in full. But this current episode has put me off completely.

Like I said, the way to make your opinion count is to never give the developer any more of your money...no matter how much G.A.S-inducing software they release. There are companies i've avoided for years, even when they've had absurd sales on gear I'd definitely be interested in using.

• Well, if the developer plays though then please also release the bare bones application in VST format for Windows and MacOS :blush:

• @enkaytee said:

@el_bo said:

@enkaytee said:

I'm rethinking my position. I'm not against using the free app, but i'd rather find out first whether he'd rather people didn't. Not sure if he'll weigh in on this, but I'll leave it there for the moment

• edited January 2022

@el_bo said:

@enkaytee said:

@el_bo said:

@enkaytee said:

I'm rethinking my position. I'm not against using the free app, but i'd rather find out first whether he'd rather people didn't. Not sure if he'll weigh in on this, but I'll leave it there for the moment

Yeah - I get that too. Although I can see that Sinan is a very clever guy who's putting out some very interesting tools for creating music I respect Hainbach more. My personal experience with him relates to a specific problem with one of his apps which I proved was an incorrect assumption on his part regarding midi allocation but which he point blank refused to recognise, preferring to blame me, my hardware and other developers. I'm torn to be honest as I really do like Sinan's stuff particularly on the desktop but this is all leaving a bad taste.

• @Charlesalbert said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@Charlesalbert said:

@tehskwrl said:

@gusgranite said:

Long time ago😂😂😂

20 dollar discount.

Ah - ok - then I misunderstood you -

I thought you were owning fundamental 1 on the desktop and upgraded your desktop version to version 2

I was curious about this … so if anybody here has experiences about sonicLabs desktop upgrade „culture“ … and feels like sharing - would be nice to hear about …

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@Charlesalbert said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@Charlesalbert said:

@tehskwrl said:

@gusgranite said:

Long time ago😂😂😂

20 dollar discount.

Ah - ok - then I misunderstood you -

I thought you were owning fundamental 1 on the desktop and upgraded your desktop version to version 2

I was curious about this … so if anybody here has experiences about sonicLabs desktop upgrade „culture“ … and feels like sharing - would be nice to hear about …

It was a 20 euros discount code in desktop.

https://kvraudio.com/news/soniclab-releases-fundamental2---major-update-of-the-test-equipment-based-instrument-52681

• @el_bo said:

@Pynchon said:
    Honestly, I think that the workload that Sinan Bökesoy put in this application was bigger, taking into account that he did the code, but also integrated a lot of the complex systems included in the Cosmof series. We're talking about years of work and investigation. That without counting the support, updates, multiple plugins architectures, operating systems.

And he has the right to release a second version without Hainbach, because this is the only way in which projects of this complexity can remain profitable.

I still think that Sinan Bökesoy is a genius and an incredibly talented developer, running one of the most creative plugins companies in the industry.

But he completely lacks social skills. That is a thing that can be said from a lot of other mathematical geniuses like him.

Reducing this down to numbers of hours worked completely misses the point. Not saying that it doesn't figure at all, but it's not uncommon for a team to comprise of 'ideas' men (And no, I'm not suggesting that's all H's contribution amounted to, either), and those who perhaps do more of the heavy lifting on the coding side.

Having Hainbach (Someone whose love and passion for anything of this nature is evident in every word he speaks) is not measurable in workload. And any discrepancies could surely have been ironed out overtime, if communication was clear and honest. Evidenced by the communications from the developer, and his actions in the lead up, it's not hard to imagine who should shoulder most of the responsibility for the breakdown in communication.

Based on this communication, I have decided i will not buy any apps from this developer (I've never owned anything from them, but really wanted Fundamental 2). What I WILL do is use the free version. Ironically, in offering this, Sinan has given us a much 'purer' connection to Hainbach's work, without having to wrestle with the thought of giving money to evidently problematic developers.

I'm happy to honour Hainbach's contribution to this project, and to the world of music in general. And I'm hoping H will continue to share his valuable contributions with other collaborators.

I did the same thing. Hopefully with more people using the free “Hainbach” version, it’ll give him an idea of where peoples allegiance lies. I’ve already bought Fun1 so I’ll continue to use it, but I also downloaded the free version. Ironically I almost like it more. It’s simpler, sure, but it makes it more fun and easy to get some cool drone sounds.

• @Bon_Tempi said:.

Upgrades on desktop have been easy and my experience with whomever does the orders aspect has been very quick and painless. Everything was done through email communication, talking and placing an order.

I’ve been a fan of the software, but also feeling a little off put by this current spat. I’ll hope to see some meaningful resolution, but I won’t hold my breath. This world has definitely gotten harder to deal with in the past few years, many emotions are run thin.

• @HotStrange said:

@el_bo said:

@Pynchon said:

I did the same thing. Hopefully with more people using the free “Hainbach” version, it’ll give him an idea of where peoples allegiance lies. I’ve already bought Fun1 so I’ll continue to use it, but I also downloaded the free version. Ironically I almost like it more. It’s simpler, sure, but it makes it more fun and easy to get some cool drone sounds.

I concur: I love the free version and I will continue to use version 1.

• edited January 2022

"Origins" is not a "Hainbach" version, it was never communicated with me.

I had hoped to avoid all this by cutting my ties with sonicLab, but his behavior is a it always was, except more so. "Origins" and the text accompanying text are an example of that.

It honestly feels good that he reacted in a way that exposes his attitude without me having to say anything. It is all out in the open here. This is what professional behaviour means to him.

I want to apologize to you for being caught up in this drama. I was naive going into this and did not yet know what was development practice.

I have since worked with four different devs, from solo companies to huge teams, and every single project has been absolutely a joy to work on. So I am confident in saying its not me, I did all I could.

You were indeed beta-testers, as at least back then sonicLab had none, which I did not know. So it came out broken despite my reservations, and only through you did it get to the state Fundamental 1 is. Not perfect, but still impressive and rather beautiful. It is a piece of sonic art that is more than me or him. It could not have happened other than him and me working together on it and your feedback. So going Solomon on it and cutting in half as he did is not really how this works.

If you got Fundamental 1 already, please keep enjoying it. I don't know if it will be up longer or if "Origins" is the end of it, both Fundamental 2 and it were not communicated with me.

(Edited for typos and clarification on what „going Solomon“ means)

• @Hainbach said:

I had hoped to avoid all this by cutting my ties with sonicLab, but his behavior is a it always was, except more so. "Origins" and the text accompanying text are an example of that.

It honestly feels good that he reacted in a way that exposes his attitude without me having to say anything. It is all out in the open here. This is professional behavior to him.

I want to apologize to you for being caught up in this drama. I was naive going into this and did not yet know what was development praxis.

I have since worked with four different devs, from solo companies to huge teams, and every single project has been absolutely a joy to work on. So I am confident in saying its not me, I did all I could.

You were indeed beta-testers, as at least back then sonicLab had none, which I did not know. So it came out broken despite my reservations, and only through you did it get to the state Fundamental 1 is. Not perfect, but still impressive and to rather beautiful. It is a piece of sonic art that is more than me or him, it could not have happened else then us working together on it, and your feedback. So going Solomon on it as he did is not really how this works.

If you got Fundamental 1 already, please keep enjoying it. I don't know if it will be up longer or if "Origins" is the end of it, both Fundamental 2 and it where not communicated with me.

Thanks @Hainbach - good to hear your side of this story and have some of my suspicions confirmed.

• Thanks for the infos @Hainbach. You were always a polite person and You get all my respect and admiration for this❤️

• @Hainbach said:

It honestly feels good that he reacted in a way that exposes his attitude without me having to say anything. It is all out in the open here. This is what professional behaviour means to him.

I want to apologize to you for being caught up in this drama. I was naive going into this and did not yet know what was development practice.

You were indeed beta-testers, as at least back then sonicLab had none, which I did not know. So it came out broken despite my reservations, and only through you did it get to the state Fundamental 1 is. Not perfect, but still impressive and rather beautiful. It is a piece of sonic art that is more than me or him. It could not have happened other than him and me working together on it and your feedback. So going Solomon on it and cutting in half as he did is not really how this works.

If you got Fundamental 1 already, please keep enjoying it. I don't know if it will be up longer or if "Origins" is the end of it, both Fundamental 2 and it were not communicated with me.

Thank you for a clear and objective post on your side of things.

• @Hainbach said:

Thanks for your clarification. Shame you had such a bad experience, but glad that you're having a better experience working with others.

Seems 'origins' doesn't have your blessing, so perhaps it's better just to avoid it.

All the best!

• edited January 2022

@Hainbach said:

Thank you for communicating this. Truly saddened that it has been a bad experience for you as you seem to be one of the most genuine people in music (and a huge inspiration for me personally). I will indeed keep using Fundamental 1 but knowing this, I will not purchase anything further from the developer. The iOS community is a very close knit community compared to others, and as such, I’m sure this will leave a lasting impression on most of us. And not a very good impression at that. Sad that this dev is reacting this way to everything.

• Much love and respect to Hainbach, but F2 is an interesting thing in its own right, and I hope it gets further development.

• @HotStrange said:

@Hainbach said:

Thank you for communicating this. Truly saddened that it has been a bad experience for you as you seem to be one of the most genuine people in music (and a huge inspiration for me personally). I will indeed keep using Fundamental 1 but knowing this, I will not purchase anything further from the developer. The iOS community is a very close knit community compared to others, and as such, I’m sure this will leave a lasting impression on most of us. And not a very good impression at that. Sad that this dev is reacting this way to everything.

Touché, we’re not a desperate bunch. This developer hasn’t done himself any favors. Bravo to @Hainbach for being so generous with his time and resources!

• I’m a @Hainbach fan. I’ve been meaning to buy Fundamental for a while, I thought I’d do a “Test Equipment Noob” type video for my channel - stupid hippie pissypanting about with things he doesn’t understand style approach. Anyway, today I went to the App Store but there were 2 versions. I didn’t understand why so I read the developers description and well…. I’m dyslexic… long text, manuals, instructions, complicated explanations… I’m just lost, I read the words and retain very little. So I come here to this forum and read this thread, over and over until it all sinks in. Now that I finally understand what’s going on I feel quite sad. I feel like buying the new version would be disrespectful to Hainbach, I can’t buy the old one and the cut down thing is not what I wanted. Pants!

• @Jamie_Mallender said:
    I feel like buying the new version would be disrespectful to Hainbach, I can’t buy the old one and the cut down thing is not what I wanted.

The original old version is still on the app store:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fundamental/id1526745452

• @Jamie_Mallender Yeah sorry about that.
    A really nice alternative, though with a very different approach and sound, is AuGenX. It’s very powerful combined with AUM. It brings you very close to the spirit of test equipment music.

• @Hainbach said:
    @Jamie_Mallender Yeah sorry about that.
    A really nice alternative, though with a very different approach and sound, is AuGenX. It’s very powerful combined with AUM. It brings you very close to the spirit of test equipment music.

Thanks for this as I was about to ask for an alternative. I'd planned to buy this today for my end of month app purchase but think this all stinks a bit. Will check out AuGenX. Thank you

• @muzka said:

@Hainbach said:

Thanks for this as I was about to ask for an alternative. I'd planned to buy this today for my end of month app purchase but think this all stinks a bit. Will check out AuGenX. Thank you

Doug did a recent video on AuGenX:

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@muzka said:

@Hainbach said:

Doug did a recent video on AuGenX:

Thanks, I've just grabbed a coffee and was going to look for this 😀