Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cyclop

Comments

• I think I'm the one needing stamina with Auria. Just tried a retake on a track - all the sound disappears so I have to reboot everything to get it back. No idea if it's Auria or Audiobus but one of them is a seriously flaky crapster.

• Well...it's Audiobus then ;) I never had such a problem with Auria but i don't use it with AB.Only IAA

• I'll try again with IAA, if it works then it's AB, again.

• ^ Waiting...

• edited April 2015

There are audio clips on the SB site, for those looking for more sound examples.

It's definitely a 'digital' sounding instrument, though it can do things that approximate sounds you might hear from analog modulars (I've got the plugin, not the iOS app).

For those not looking for the more flashy and progressive bass sounds, the sub oscillator and vocoder potential -- as well as its capacity for noisy and chirpy leads, scapes and shots -- would likely be of more interest (from, say, a more hip hop perspective). It can be reigned in for more 'warm' (whatever that might mean for ya'll) and 'soulful' and traditional basses, but if that's all you want, it's probably not going to be your lane.

To add another cliche, it really seems to 'cut through the mix,' to the point where it's sometimes tough for me to add complementary sounds to go with after I find something I like from Cyclop. This is partly down to the fact that, even though it's primarily a bass instrument, the catchy parts often come at its higher frequencies, causing a 'What to cut?' EQ/filter conundrum.

I find it plays me more than I play it, meaning I've found better luck seeing what it can spit back at me - rapidly spinning through the big dials and presets for inspiration while triggering short, monophonic groove lines - rather than going in looking for a specific sound I want to make.

• good metaphor! This can make chirpy lead for the hip hop !

• @monzo said:
    I think I'm the one needing stamina with Auria. Just tried a retake on a track - all the sound disappears so I have to reboot everything to get it back. No idea if it's Auria or Audiobus but one of them is a seriously flaky crapster.

You're having some strange issues with auria, none of that has happened to me. I am still on ios7, I don't know if that's the difference? Audiobus was and is brilliant but I do wonder if apple just keeps putting up more and more roadblocks that make for more complicated workarounds?

One thing you may want to check is the audio engine in settings, try multithreaded, classic, etc and see if that makes any difference.

Within itself though auria is very solid once I had figured out ram issues, which does not sound like the issue you are having.

• edited April 2015

@parallaxobject, that was mouth watering :-)

I had a listen to all of the Cyclop demo's on the site, sounding great.
    Some I wonder if other instruments are mixed in, and if so which ones etc.

But overall like the sound.

With the different genre caperbillites that is brilliant! I watch a vid demo-ing this breiefly. (Hip hop RnB)

"I find it plays me more than I play it" .. Sounds inspiring..

• edited April 2015

@parallaxobject said:
    I find it plays me more than I play it, meaning I've found better luck seeing what it can spit back at me - rapidly spinning through the big dials and presets for inspiration while triggering short, monophonic groove lines - rather than going in looking for a specific sound I want to make.

Really nicely put. This is what I want from everything. Do the dials support MIDI ccs from an external controller?

• @taroface said:
    Really nicely put. This is what I want from everything. Do the dials support MIDI ccs from an external controller?

Yes, either long tap or double tap on a knob and it brings up the option to learn or clear a previous CC

• edited April 2015

@KING777 said:
    ^ Waiting...
    @mrufino1 said:
    Within itself though auria is very solid once I had figured out ram issues, which does not sound like the issue you are having.

It 'lost' the Yamaha synth again, this time via IAA. Rebooted and it was back, and did a few more tracks without any further issues.

I'll get used to it, it did put me off yesterday but after an hour of no issues at all tonight I'm finally getting into it now. I can see the potential so I'll keep bashing on with the thing, and actually managed to record half a crap tune.

• @taroface said:

Yep,i also really liked his last part.It looks like a synth that is just fun to fiddle with the (big) knobs and see what happens.I have quite a deep knowlegde about (different)synthesis and often enough i just look at a synth and think i knows exactly what it is capable of before i even played one note myself.This is not the case here :) That doesn't mean i don't like a good,warm Moog Bass anymore but"classic"sounds/structures are already covered well in my arsenal.I just don't find them really inspiring anymore."Surprise me"i want to scream and i can almost hear cyclop answers "come to daddy" :D

• edited April 2015

Glad Auria is working out for you @monzo, finally! :)

@Crabman, "Surprise me" ... For Realz!

• @KING777 said:
    Glad Auria is working out for you monzo, finally! :)

Thanks, I appreciate the tips and encouragement :)

• @parallaxobject said:
    There are audio clips on the SB site, for those looking for more sound examples.

It's definitely a 'digital' sounding instrument, though it can do things that approximate sounds you might hear from analog modulars (I've got the plugin, not the iOS app).

For those not looking for the more flashy and progressive bass sounds, the sub oscillator and vocoder potential -- as well as its capacity for noisy and chirpy leads, scapes and shots -- would likely be of more interest (from, say, a more hip hop perspective). It can be reigned in for more 'warm' (whatever that might mean for ya'll) and 'soulful' and traditional basses, but if that's all you want, it's probably not going to be your lane.

To add another cliche, it really seems to 'cut through the mix,' to the point where it's sometimes tough for me to add complimentary sounds to go with after I find something I like from Cyclop. This is partly down to the fact that, even though it's primarily a bass instrument, the catchy parts often come at its higher frequencies, causing a 'What to cut?' EQ/filter conundrum.

what kind of hiphop has chirpy leads?

• edited April 2015

and thanks for the demo tips will check them out right now!

hmmm, imo still comes down to Doug on this one, the demos on the site were cool, but noisy, with such a large number of presets I hope Doug will unearth the more organic side if it has one.
    i love making patches though just want to get a better idea of what's under the hood.. I probably would be fine with just dialing back on everything and most likely should have just bought it already but the price makes me wait.

• edited April 2015

I hyphened that bit out, so the vocodery and sub osc are more what I was referring to hip hop-wise.

By 'noisy and chirpy leads, scapes and shots,' I meant resonant, digital alien (almost talky) bits that fall somewhere between melodic and noisy, but are definitely further up the frequency spectrum than bass.

I didn't mean hip hop exactly on this, but (left field) hip hop has this stuff too, especially in the last half-decade. (And that's not even getting into the chirpiness of sliced and diced vocal samples hip hop prominently features, as well as certain kinds of scratching.)

Cyclop is not a conventional fit for hip hop, no doubt, but if you can get it a little tipsy, you can coax some Shabazz Palaces vibes (the best kind of vibes).

Anyway, I don't want to sound like a fanboy for it, or claim it's essential.

• "tipsy' haha I like that. funnily enough the demos sound like something both el-p and shabazz palace would use albeit differently but I'm a little less astro in my own leanigs although I do have my moments. I'm really liking the fact that sugar bytes is paying attention to the engineering of a bass app so well this is also why I don't want to miss it, it sounds like they've really given it some thought.

• +1 EL-P.....alright!

• @parallaxobject said:

To add another cliche, it really seems to 'cut through the mix,' to the point where it's sometimes tough for me to add complimentary sounds to go with after I find something I like from Cyclop. This is partly down to the fact that, even though it's primarily a bass instrument, the catchy parts often come at its higher frequencies, causing a 'What to cut?' EQ/filter conundrum.

This is the bit that worries me. I was watching some Cyclop vids last night and thought 'I want that now!'. But on reflection the Cyclop sounds were so big and intense, I've no idea what, apart from a beat, to add to it. I guess this is why I'm after some warmer, saner sounds as well.

• Sounds great to me though since i'm doing kind of Acid house as well.A massive,evolving (over time) bass/lead with not much else (if the lead is strong enough) for hypnotic dancetrax is quite welcome.I arrived at my place now (after some days of work)and get myself an itunes card in a few minutes.Appstore shopping time then :)

The only thing that puts me off (from the screenshots):a lot of REALLY tiny control elements (and i'm not mr.fat finger).Any opinions about the usability are welcome...

• edited April 2015

@Crabman said:
    The only thing that puts me off (from the screenshots):a lot of REALLY tiny control elements (and i'm not mr.fat finger).Any opinions about the usability are welcome...

John at MusicAppBlog touches on that subject in his review: http://www.musicappblog.com/cyclop-review/ . And I agree with him. There are a lot of smaller elements in the UI, but nothing too small once you get the hang of things. One thing you can do is just open the AppStore page for the app on your iPad, open the screen shots, that's how it'll look like on your screen so..

Edit: Altho I guess that doesn't tell the whole story actually, since the touch area can differ from the graphics. But they did a good job on that IMO.

• edited April 2015

dear gentlemen, I just uploaded the first part of my preset-run-through in cyclop, I hope it helps:

cheers, t

• Thanks Chris! Of course...checking the appstore screenshots is always the first thing i do :) Gonna read the review now...

• @animal said:
    dear gentlemen, I just uploaded the first part of my preset-run-through in cyclop, I hope it helps:

That's excellent - and you only got up to B! Enjoyed the commentary too.

Just downloaded the PC demo - I'm starting to feel my resistance to spending nineteen quid on a bass synth weakening...

• @monzo: hahaa, I just finished part 8 (!!!), which finally brought me down to z. Part two is uploading, but considering my upload speeds, it looks like today will be spent like this... . Well, I hope it helps some of you deciding whether or not this thing is for you. cheers, t

• edited April 2015

Nice one @animal, for me that was more than enough to tell me that this (THING) Cyclop is Awesome! Versatile! and going to be mine!

I'm just awaiting an email reply from SB to confirm something and the deal is done!

Cheers for the upload and time! :-)

Edit: just checked my inbox!

I asked SugarBytes why (if you check their site) it says "iPad mini (not reccomended)
    I hoped it was a display issue and nothing else. But had to make sure! I didn't see it mentioned anywhere (even if it was) and didn't want to start a panic lol.

SB reply:

"Hi King,

yes, it's because of the size restrictions only, so if you have very small fingers and very good eyes it should work;-)

Best,
    N..."

So that's sealed. :)

When to buy? Hmm... :)

• Animal you saint! :)

thank you

• Bear in mind, This app is cpu intensive!

I would not recommend people use it if under or lower than iPad Air 1

• @animal said:
    monzo: hahaa, I just finished part 8 (!!!), which finally brought me down to z. Part two is uploading, but considering my upload speeds, it looks like today will be spent like this... . Well, I hope it helps some of you deciding whether or not this thing is for you. cheers, t

Wow, well done - thank you - that's going to help a lot of us 'on the fencers'!

I think your vids already shown me that it's capable of more than the usual dubstep wobble and growl, which is what I was hoping. Looking forward to seeing the next installment :)