Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala AUv3 IAP

Comments

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ashh said:
    I'm using this and Quantiloop Pro and it is madness. Not Madness. They call it Madness. I mean lots of fun.

Are they simply sitting beside each other or is there some intercourse occuring?

Exactly my question, but I couldn't have phrased it so nicely....

• @onerez said:
    Hi Guys….. so I have been really depressed and have had some health issues lately so not been around. I am so sorry to ask this but maybe my Brain is in such a fog…
    Can anyone show me why or how you use this in Cubasis?? Or why would you need to? I feel like a dork as everyone is so excited about it and I obviously am missing something. 😢. Any workflow videos or anything that show it in work with AUM, Cubasis or NS2?

Thanks!!

Can’t help much mate but I hope you’re doing alright

• Really enjoying the workflow now that it is auv3. Couple of questions that I haven’t been able to find. Anyway to see a file name of the loaded sample. When I’m loading a bunch of similar samples I sometimes forget what has been loaded. Is there anyway to send midi from the pads themselves so it will record in say BeatMaker or do I always have to map midi to a keyboard? If so I echo a previous post that midi map would be best not buried in the settings. Amazing app and workflow. Thanks for bringing to auv3!

• @mikewb said:
    Really enjoying the workflow now that it is auv3. Couple of questions that I haven’t been able to find. Anyway to see a file name of the loaded sample. When I’m loading a bunch of similar samples I sometimes forget what has been loaded. Is there anyway to send midi from the pads themselves so it will record in say BeatMaker or do I always have to map midi to a keyboard? If so I echo a previous post that midi map would be best not buried in the settings. Amazing app and workflow. Thanks for bringing to auv3!

It does not currently send MIDI out for the pad taps. So, better to trigger the pads from MIDI and record that MIDI into BeatMaker

• @Harro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ashh said:
    I'm using this and Quantiloop Pro and it is madness. Not Madness. They call it Madness. I mean lots of fun.

Are they simply sitting beside each other or is there some intercourse occuring?

Exactly my question, but I couldn't have phrased it so nicely....

I am, in fact, using them together.

• How does this AUv3 IAP differ from the Koala FX AUv3 that I already have?

• @skiphunt its the entire koala app. not just the FX

• @onerez said:
    Hi Guys….. so I have been really depressed and have had some health issues lately so not been around. I am so sorry to ask this but maybe my Brain is in such a fog…
    Can anyone show me why or how you use this in Cubasis?? Or why would you need to? I feel like a dork as everyone is so excited about it and I obviously am missing something. 😢. Any workflow videos or anything that show it in work with AUM, Cubasis or NS2?

Thanks!!

Ah man, sorry to hear you’ve been unwell. Hope you get back to physical and mental health soon!

I’ve not used koala much yet as I was waiting for auv3, it’s workflow is really immediate and fun. As for using it in cubasis, apparently you can load it in an fx slot and record into it, but I haven’t tried it. Some tips in this thread - https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/47008/tube-au-and-websdr-in-cubasis-3#latest

Im using it in AUM - you can put it into an fx slot and record into it that way just like sEGments, or put it in a normal audio track slot and load a wav into it. It’s similar to sEGments in some ways, but has more pads, some great easy ways to resample pads to other pads. If you have the samurai iap , you get easy sample chopping and a really high quality timestretch.

I’m sure koala experts can help more. The @elf_audio youtube vids are also excellent!

• @onerez said:

Thanks!!

Hi there, hope you are doing better now.
    Cubasis user here.
    So uses for Cubasis :
    1. You can use Koala as a drum machine. One thing that stands out compared to other drum auv3 apps(samplers) is the midi editor, you can make a pattern as long as you want it to be and it has various grid options (1/4 1/8t …)
    It has a sequencer and a midi editor.
    if you are in the sequencer, you can open the midi editor where, you can add different pitches to your high hat for example.

1. Multiple drag and drop from files app. so if you drag lets say 64 sounds, it would load all the sound on the 64 pads.

1. as a chopper, similar to sEGments or Digistix 2.

here is a mini video i made () you can create different patterns and try them on the go with your project .

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@wim said:

@ehehehe said:

@wim said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    I was a bit weirded out how you can't use it normally in NS2 in terms of recording a pad, it jumps instantly to the import sample menu instead when you hold a pad.

I think you got this one figured out already, but just in case not or in case others get tripped up by this ... Koala has to be loaded as an FX for the recording source to be active. Otherwise it just goes to the import menu.

Would it be possible for koala to have background audio as a recording source, like any sounds playing on the ipad, from any apps? I love the import video function, but if this was implemented it would be maximum flexible, especially in standalone mode.

Unfortunately that's impossible on iOS. Internal audio has to be routed to an app either through IAA, Audiobus, or AUv3 in a host.

Not “impossible” on iOS if you use an audio interface with a “Loopback” feature like that available in the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen and above.

Impossible in the context of the question, which was whether it could be implemented in the app. My point was no app can do that in software alone.

• @Paa89 said:

@onerez said:

Thanks!!

Hi there, hope you are doing better now.
    Cubasis user here.
    So uses for Cubasis :
    1. You can use Koala as a drum machine. One thing that stands out compared to other drum auv3 apps(samplers) is the midi editor, you can make a pattern as long as you want it to be and it has various grid options (1/4 1/8t …)
    It has a sequencer and a midi editor.
    if you are in the sequencer, you can open the midi editor where, you can add different pitches to your high hat for example.

1. Multiple drag and drop from files app. so if you drag lets say 64 sounds, it would load all the sound on the 64 pads.

1. as a chopper, similar to sEGments or Digistix 2.

here is a mini video i made () you can create different patterns and try them on the go with your project .

Ah nice! Didn’t realise you could edit pitch in the sequencer!

• @AudioGus said:

@attakk said:

@AudioGus said:

@CapnWillie said:

@AudioGus said:
    Yah this is pretty sweet in NS2. Being able to use long wav files and just nondestructively select ranges and stretch them nicely too… oh and with fx automation? This kind of puts a kink in my BM3 revival plans and a smile on my face. :)

I may finally have to dive in to NS2 to check out that workflow. Been using Segments in CB3 which has been dope but I really love Koala wf.

Only thing putting me off right now from diving in with it whole hog is lack of a file browser that lets me preview sounds before loading them.

Yeah - a lack of preview is a pain, not just for Koala of course.

For me I’ve got a track in my NS2 arrangement with an instance of Slate (which I end up putting and triggering a bounced copy of whatever I end up with in Koala). So I use Slate’s browser to preview the samples, then when I’ve found the one I want to use/abuse I then go load it in Koala. Not as ideal as previewing it directly in Koala but it works for me and is a pretty quick workaround.

Yah for now I will stick to Slate for small things, kicks, snares etc but for looooong wav files Koala is pretty sweet. Didn’t think there would be an AU Sampler to check so many boxes so soon. Happy day!

I like to bounce my sample abuse to file once I’m happy with it (same for most of my track’s elements for that matter) so that I can then move on to the next bit of the track. If I allow myself the option to keep messing with each element of a track then I never finish anything, just noodling & tweaking ad-finitum.

I use Slate as it’s incredibly lightweight & can run hundreds of instances (& the sample browser has preview 😊) I use Obsidian if I want to automate filters or want unison features. Really long samples I load in to AudioLayer for it’s streaming-from-disc functionality.

• @attakk said:

@AudioGus said:

@attakk said:

@AudioGus said:

@CapnWillie said:

@AudioGus said:
    Yah this is pretty sweet in NS2. Being able to use long wav files and just nondestructively select ranges and stretch them nicely too… oh and with fx automation? This kind of puts a kink in my BM3 revival plans and a smile on my face. :)

I may finally have to dive in to NS2 to check out that workflow. Been using Segments in CB3 which has been dope but I really love Koala wf.

Only thing putting me off right now from diving in with it whole hog is lack of a file browser that lets me preview sounds before loading them.

Yeah - a lack of preview is a pain, not just for Koala of course.

For me I’ve got a track in my NS2 arrangement with an instance of Slate (which I end up putting and triggering a bounced copy of whatever I end up with in Koala). So I use Slate’s browser to preview the samples, then when I’ve found the one I want to use/abuse I then go load it in Koala. Not as ideal as previewing it directly in Koala but it works for me and is a pretty quick workaround.

Yah for now I will stick to Slate for small things, kicks, snares etc but for looooong wav files Koala is pretty sweet. Didn’t think there would be an AU Sampler to check so many boxes so soon. Happy day!

I like to bounce my sample abuse to file once I’m happy with it (same for most of my track’s elements for that matter) so that I can then move on to the next bit of the track. If I allow myself the option to keep messing with each element of a track then I never finish anything, just noodling & tweaking ad-finitum.

I use Slate as it’s incredibly lightweight & can run hundreds of instances (& the sample browser has preview 😊) I use Obsidian if I want to automate filters or want unison features. Really long samples I load in to AudioLayer for it’s streaming-from-disc functionality.

I just like using really long sample fodder files (several minutes) but typicaly just very small bits from them (under eight seconds or so), hence why I like nondestructive editing that BM3 or Koala does, as opposed to Slate. Eventually a lot of things get cropped but I like to keep those big sample fodder wavs intact and easily accessible just so I can easily still use the source willy nilly at any point.

• Hi guys
    I am trying to figure out how to play back a sample on the keyboard (or grid) without the speed of the pitch getting faster or slower , as I play notes up and down the keyboard ? Can someone please shed some light on how I can go about doing this in Koala?

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@Musicfan said:
    Hi guys
    I am trying to figure out how to play back a sample on the keyboard (or grid) without the speed of the pitch getting faster or slower , as I play notes up and down the keyboard ? Can someone please shed some light on how I can go about doing this in Koala?

If I remember correctly, you can't do that in sEGments.
    Doh! Wrong app. 🙄

• @Musicfan said:
    Hi guys

Haven’t succeed too.
    I fear it’s only possible in BM3 for now.
    hope I’m wrong.

• Enable stretch for the sample in Koala, pitching works in all stretch modes except 'modern' for now...

• Ah playing timestretched sounds on a keyboard is the holy grail of time stretch algorithms - BM3 can do it, yes, because they pay big-bucks for their time stretch algorithm - my one is homemade - you can use the BEATS and RETRO time stretch algorithms in koala to make the note stay the same length no matter what the pitch, but the MODERN time stretch algorithm can't do it (yet!)

• Btw. 'retro' stretch mode is very nice and adds character to the sound when playing pads etc.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

The BEATS time stretch is remarkable for drums. I love it! I use it so much that I almost wish for a setting to choose the default time stretch method.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    @skiphunt its the entire koala app. not just the FX

Ah... that's what I figured. Didn't want to read the whole thread to find out. Thanks. I don't really use Koala that much, but it's one of those that I can really respect the work and design that's gone into it. Very fun and the dev has always been on top of maintenance and improvements. I bought the other IAP so I'll likely grab this one as well.

• @mikewb said:
    Really enjoying the workflow now that it is auv3. Couple of questions that I haven’t been able to find. Anyway to see a file name of the loaded sample. When I’m loading a bunch of similar samples I sometimes forget what has been loaded. Is there anyway to send midi from the pads themselves so it will record in say BeatMaker or do I always have to map midi to a keyboard? If so I echo a previous post that midi map would be best not buried in the settings. Amazing app and workflow. Thanks for bringing to auv3!

Loaded filename in the GUI would be a nice touch..
    creating a library of dozens of .koala files Would be nice to see which one is loaded when recalling a DAW project

• @Samu said:
    Enable stretch for the sample in Koala, pitching works in all stretch modes except 'modern' for now...

Great.
    Thanks for the info.

• Any recommended workflow to sample into Koala when it's loaded into Cubasis as an AU?

• edited September 2021

@onerez said:

If you've got Cubasis and NS2 you might not need it.

But it is very quick to record and manipulte samples in Koala. And now it is AUv3 you can have multiple instances of Koala in AUM.

You can use it as a sample chopper and export the sample to another app. Or you can use the built in sequencer to make a song.

It's a bit like AUM in that you can use it many, many different ways.

Watch this video and imagine it as an AUv3:

• @childofthecorndog said:
    YT+Multiple Koala+Drambo sitting in a tree K I S S I N G is gonna be bananas. Killer update @elf_audio 🙏

Oh man, what would a COTCD sample pack for koala sound like!

• @elf_audio

Anyone else see this? I’m using Koala and all is working as expected. But if my iPad sleeps, when I go back to Koala the Play button and pads/sequences don’t work. Play does nothing and the pad/sequence buttons animate and change but no sound. Closing and restarting clears it.

iPad 8th gen / iOS 14.8

• Hi there, does anyone knows how to load a whole folder with wav files at once (I’m looking at my Maschines kits folders !)
    Maybe we should talk to the kitmaker developer so that they can make the koala format available as an export option ?
    Cheers

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@jazzmess said:
    Hi there, does anyone knows how to load a whole folder with wav files at once (I’m looking at my Maschines kits folders !)
    Maybe we should talk to the kitmaker developer so that they can make the koala format available as an export option ?
    Cheers

I've gone into a folder, tapped select, then select all and and then open. This has added all the samples to pads.

Oddly though, sometimes when I've done this, the samples have all ended up pitched way down. Strange. This seems like a bug @elf_audio.