Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala AUv3 IAP

Comments

• In Koala AUV3 create a long (eg: 4-8bar) sequence with a sustained note to trigger (gate) a loop. Dont set to one-shot.
    Start then stop AUM host transport mid note.
    The sample continues to play until the end of the note ignoring AUM host transport.

Sustained notes from external midi devices like ATOM2 gate loops in Koala and the loop stops playing when host transport is stopped even mid note.

How do you make Koala stop when AUM host transport stops?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TFVyNtpcrvTEX3ZZ8

• @soundtemple said:
    How do you make Koala stop when AUM host transport stops?

That's why there is a hammer sitting next to Marek's iPad in his Koala AUv3 YouTube video :smiley:

• I've never used Koala, but I get the impression its main function is for sequencing short bits of audio for drum loops and bass lines etc. That definition is too limiting I'm sure, but is there a point where a audio clip would be too long for Koala?
    Is it OK with say 32 or 64 bar lengths of audio for song sections? I suppose the AUv3 RAM limitations are going to kick in at some point too.

• edited September 2021

@SimonSomeone said:
    I've never used Koala, but I get the impression its main function is for sequencing short bits of audio for drum loops and bass lines etc. That definition is too limiting I'm sure, but is there a point where a audio clip would be too long for Koala?

I don't know the max. limit of Koala samples but I've recorded a few samples that go for quite a while. I just had a quick look in my files and one sample goes for 3 minutes 5 secs.

• edited September 2021

That's enough for a Buddy Holly single.

• edited September 2021

@CapnWillie said:

@AudioGus said:
    Yah this is pretty sweet in NS2. Being able to use long wav files and just nondestructively select ranges and stretch them nicely too… oh and with fx automation? This kind of puts a kink in my BM3 revival plans and a smile on my face. :)

I may finally have to dive in to NS2 to check out that workflow. Been using Segments in CB3 which has been dope but I really love Koala wf.

Only thing putting me off right now from diving in with it whole hog is lack of a file browser that lets me preview sounds before loading them.

• @Simon :D :s

Does Koala AUV3 respond to velocity on notes sent from external midi apps? Seems to have no effect for me?

• @soundtemple said:
    @Simon :D :s

Does Koala AUV3 respond to velocity on notes sent from external midi apps? Seems to have no effect for me?

Do you have the option turned on in Settings > Midi?

• @wim Thanks. Missed that setting.

• 🌪💣🐨

Amazing work @elf_audio

You have really created something very special here. 👊

• edited September 2021

This update shows IAP updates for AUV3s are very welcomed..

Thanks for such a great update..

• @Simon said:
    That's enough for a Buddy Holly single.

😅

• @SimonSomeone said:
    I've never used Koala, but I get the impression its main function is for sequencing short bits of audio for drum loops and bass lines etc. That definition is too limiting I'm sure, but is there a point where a audio clip would be too long for Koala?
    Is it OK with say 32 or 64 bar lengths of audio for song sections? I suppose the AUv3 RAM limitations are going to kick in at some point too.

You can change them on the fly to as it were - I wrote about this in another thread a while ago.
    If you have say a 32 bar loop playing in one slot - if you then drag it to another in the editor - the first one will continue to play until it’s end (even though it has ‘gone’), then the next one (where it is now) will play, all seamlessly. It’s like a giant audio clip launcher.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    Last night, for fun, I loaded up 4 instances of Koala AUv3 inside Multitrack Daw, used the internal sequencers to come up with a beat, applied AUv3 fx treatment to each instance and hit record. It’s a relatively easy workflow to make a beat and export the stems for arrangement. Not sure if multi out can be used in MTD, that would make it even slicker.

If you are talking about "4Pockets MultiTrack Audio Recorder AUv3 Plugin" then the answer is yes, it does multi outputs.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2021

@AudioGus said:

@CapnWillie said:

@AudioGus said:
    Yah this is pretty sweet in NS2. Being able to use long wav files and just nondestructively select ranges and stretch them nicely too… oh and with fx automation? This kind of puts a kink in my BM3 revival plans and a smile on my face. :)

I may finally have to dive in to NS2 to check out that workflow. Been using Segments in CB3 which has been dope but I really love Koala wf.

Only thing putting me off right now from diving in with it whole hog is lack of a file browser that lets me preview sounds before loading them.

Yeah - a lack of preview is a pain, not just for Koala of course.

For me I’ve got a track in my NS2 arrangement with an instance of Slate (which I end up putting and triggering a bounced copy of whatever I end up with in Koala). So I use Slate’s browser to preview the samples, then when I’ve found the one I want to use/abuse I then go load it in Koala. Not as ideal as previewing it directly in Koala but it works for me and is a pretty quick workaround.

Alternatively, I could load the sample in to Slate, and then trigger it while recording it in to an instance of Koala loaded in Slate’s insert FX channel, but I find that’s more of a faff.

So yeah @elf_audio - any chance of implementing a way of previewing a sample while browsing if possible? Happy for it to be an IAP of course (all new functionality should be IAP in my opinion). Would be super helpful. Oh, and thanks for the whole Auv3 thing - it has filled the missing link in my workflow that I’ve been yearning for a long, long time 👍😊

• I'm using this and Quantiloop Pro and it is madness. Not Madness. They call it Madness. I mean lots of fun.

• @wim said:

@ehehehe said:

@wim said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    I was a bit weirded out how you can't use it normally in NS2 in terms of recording a pad, it jumps instantly to the import sample menu instead when you hold a pad.

I think you got this one figured out already, but just in case not or in case others get tripped up by this ... Koala has to be loaded as an FX for the recording source to be active. Otherwise it just goes to the import menu.

Would it be possible for koala to have background audio as a recording source, like any sounds playing on the ipad, from any apps? I love the import video function, but if this was implemented it would be maximum flexible, especially in standalone mode.

Unfortunately that's impossible on iOS. Internal audio has to be routed to an app either through IAA, Audiobus, or AUv3 in a host.

Not “impossible” on iOS if you use an audio interface with a “Loopback” feature like that available in the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen and above.

Btw, @elf_audio , thank you for this amazing update!

• @ashh said:
    I'm using this and Quantiloop Pro and it is madness. Not Madness. They call it Madness. I mean lots of fun.

Are they simply sitting beside each other or is there some intercourse occuring?

• edited September 2021

@attakk said:

@AudioGus said:

@CapnWillie said:

@AudioGus said:

Yeah - a lack of preview is a pain, not just for Koala of course.

For me I’ve got a track in my NS2 arrangement with an instance of Slate (which I end up putting and triggering a bounced copy of whatever I end up with in Koala). So I use Slate’s browser to preview the samples, then when I’ve found the one I want to use/abuse I then go load it in Koala. Not as ideal as previewing it directly in Koala but it works for me and is a pretty quick workaround.

Yah for now I will stick to Slate for small things, kicks, snares etc but for looooong wav files Koala is pretty sweet. Didn’t think there would be an AU Sampler to check so many boxes so soon. Happy day!

• If I save a song in koala auv3, it takes me to the files app dialog. Is this normal koala behaviour?

Presumably the song is saved inside the auv3 interface but not the samples. Are the samples stored within koala’s own file system?

I try to get my head round these things for transferring AUM presets between devices. Nothing worse than having sounds missing.

• edited September 2021

@gregsmith said:
    If I save a song in koala auv3, it takes me to the files app dialog. Is this normal koala behaviour?

Presumably the song is saved inside the auv3 interface but not the samples. Are the samples stored within koala’s own file system?

I try to get my head round these things for transferring AUM presets between devices. Nothing worse than having sounds missing.

It seems like the sample you load in Koala gets saved in the Koala project file (Song) itself. So when loading in a 100mb wav file in Koala AU when I save the .bm3 file I get a 100mb .bm3 file! Cool, but dangerous on space, heh. But yah I dig it.

And yes it seems that songs (which are wav file recordings) you save with Koala get saved wherever you want on your ipad. There is a bit of a confusion with Songs that are just wav file recordings and Songs which are project files. I think these two things really should have been named differently… unless I am missing something.

• Koala auv3 can’t directly access the koala app’s folder, that’s why there’s a file dialog.

If you save a koala preset or session in AUM, the whole song and samples are embedded in the song/preset - it’s not just a reference to the song file you opened - that is impossible to do on iOS anyway

• @AudioGus said:

@gregsmith said:
    If I save a song in koala auv3, it takes me to the files app dialog. Is this normal koala behaviour?

It seems like the sample you load in Koala gets saved in the Koala session itself. So when loading in a 100mb wav file in Koala when I save the .bm3 file I get a 100mb .bm3 file! Cool, but dangerous, heh. But yah I dig it.

That’s good news to me as I like to be able to keep everything with a project. If I recall correctly this was one of the major issues that I had with MTR.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

@AudioGus said:

@gregsmith said:

It seems like the sample you load in Koala gets saved in the Koala session itself. So when loading in a 100mb wav file in Koala when I save the .bm3 file I get a 100mb .bm3 file! Cool, but dangerous, heh. But yah I dig it.

That’s good news to me as I like to be able to keep everything with a project. If I recall correctly this was one of the major issues that I had with MTR.

I had the same problem with MTR and is why I bailed. Yah no more gut wrenching ‘Sample not found’!

• edited September 2021

@elf_audio said:
    Koala auv3 can’t directly access the koala app’s folder, that’s why there’s a file dialog.

If you save a koala preset or session in AUM, the whole song and samples are embedded in the song/preset - it’s not just a reference to the song file you opened - that is impossible to do on iOS anyway

That’s great! So if I transfer the AUM preset to a different device, will the samples go with it?

This would be a first in auv3 land (and very welcome!!)

(FYI have a look at segments - you can save a preset in the auv3, just the same as in the standalone - not sure how @ElliottGarage does it)

• @elf_audio said:
    Koala auv3 can’t directly access the koala app’s folder, that’s why there’s a file dialog.

While the AUv3 doesn’t have access to the app’s folder, I believe many apps that also have an AUv3 version, make use of a common app group folder (I think that’s what they are called). The app group folder isn’t exposed in Files, but the standalone app can essentially sync its folder to the app group folder when it opens and quits. At least that is my understanding of how a number of apps keep their AU and standalone selves synced up without the user being aware of the behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

• Hi Guys….. so I have been really depressed and have had some health issues lately so not been around. I am so sorry to ask this but maybe my Brain is in such a fog…
    Can anyone show me why or how you use this in Cubasis?? Or why would you need to? I feel like a dork as everyone is so excited about it and I obviously am missing something. 😢. Any workflow videos or anything that show it in work with AUM, Cubasis or NS2?

Thanks!!