Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala AUv3 IAP

Comments

• edited September 2021

Looks like my drum sampler odyssey will have another episode! Koala should be straightforward enough that my wife will use it, unlike Drambo which was episode 3 last month (but I’m sure will still have uses for me).

Edit: @elf_audio are the IAPs single user or family shared? As a general point I’ve no idea how a user can determine this? (FWIW given the very reasonable prices we’ll certainly be happy to double up)

• Hmm timing is a mess unless I use lowest buffer setting. What I am doing wrong?

This is just triggering samples with midi.

• edited September 2021

Maaaan - using Koala as an auv3 in NanoStudio2 right now and (for me at least, with the time-stretching & automated FX parameters) it’s a total game changer (and I don’t use that phrase lightly).

This & Neon : wow, what a week! WHAT A WEEK!! :) <3

• @BroCoast said:
    Hmm timing is a mess unless I use lowest buffer setting. What I am doing wrong?

Stupid question I know but have you tried disabling quantize under the metronome settings?

• edited September 2021

@attakk said:
    Maaaan - using Koala as an auv3 in NanoStudio2 right now and (for me at least, with the time-stretching & automated FX parameters) it’s a total game changer (and I don’t use that phrase lightly).

How are you using it in NS2 in terms of workflow? Are you essentially using it as Slate pads with added timestretch? I was a bit weirded out how you can't use it normally in NS2 in terms of recording a pad, it jumps instantly to the import sample menu instead when you hold a pad.

• @attakk and @Michael_R_Grant
    Just getting into NS2
    I am also interested in your enthusiasm for koala with NS2,
    I own segments, but might jump for Koala, I don’t need much convincing

• Got it ! Great development <3

• @Samu said:

@BroCoast said:
    Hmm timing is a mess unless I use lowest buffer setting. What I am doing wrong?

Stupid question I know but have you tried disabling quantize under the metronome settings?

Yeah.

Triggering Koala IAA with MIDI notes is fine. AUv3 is sloppy.

• @elf_audio
    i’ve sent a mail via the website form but just wanted to post it here and see if anyone else has noticed .
    for me , after this update , ( no problems with iap purchase or anything ) mysteriously in the performance fx the Reverse, Tempo Delay & Stutter have no effect for me?? all the others seem fine , or at least DO function ... it did seem that the Crusher wasn’t as effective but at least does have an effect..
    just me? something i’m not remembering about sample modes effecting FX?
    any road, bar that... great stuff, perfect for apematrix multi out craziness with looperator etc...

• YT+Multiple Koala+Drambo sitting in a tree K I S S I N G is gonna be bananas. Killer update @elf_audio 🙏

• edited September 2021

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@attakk said:

How are you using it in NS2 in terms of workflow?

Loading Koala as an instrument, importing a sample from my library in files to a pad, time-stretching it with the host tempo in mind, triggering it on it’s pad with a midi clip on the NS2 song timeline, writing the FX automation in the midi-clip as I experiment with Koala’s built in FX directly on the sample. I’m loving having my automated experiments saved with the midi clip - and this whole process is just so fast! No more having to export to Blocs or Koala (stand-alone) to time-stretch (for example) and then exporting it back to NS2, and then moving that file to my song’s project folder because I don’t like it importing to the folder that it imports to.

I’m then printing that all to audio (as it keeps me focused on finishing the track and stops me wasting time diving down an endless rabbit hole of experimentation or noodling) and then I’m importing that audio back in to either Slate (for cpu Performance reasons) or Obsidian (for cpu reasons & where I want to do a little more with the printed sample) or wherever (eg AudioLayer if I want disk streaming when device memory becomes an issue). Adding Auv3 FX to the channel if I wish. Maybe importing to another instance of Koala and repeating the whole process maybe?

Haven’t tried recording into it yet - say at the end of an insert FX chain (I’ve up to now always used NS2’s built in functionality for that, or - for when an AUv3 instrument bounces at a different sample rate causing pitch issues in the printed audio - I currently use MultitrackStudio auV3 at the end of the FX chain and then save the captured audio out), reimporting back in to Slate or Obsidian (as described above).

Oh - I’m exclusively only using iPhone btw - can’t afford an iPad otherwise I realise there are probably other (better?) ways.

But yeah - for quickly time-stretching and then creating some controlled sonic experimental fuckaboutery to the sample (with full recall in the saved song project if I want it), this for me is what I’ve been yearning for a long long time - the immediacy and ease without the need to export out to other apps breaking the creative flow.

:) (sorry for the essay)

• Thanks for the essay, @attakk ! :D

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    Thanks for the essay, @attakk ! :D

Well, you did ask! :D

• @Paa89 said:

@RajahP said:

@Paa89 said:
    here is a mini video of koala Sampler in Cubasis 3

Great.. maybe I can upgrade to Cubasis v3 now.. Ableton Link has just become less needed… Thanks Mr. Koala..

We still need Ableton link in Cubasis 3. Or a workaround like what Digistix has.
    If you have a drum sequence in Koala and you want to record melody on a different track in Cubasis 3, when you tap on record, Koala starts to play during count in. so when recording starts, Koala’s sequence is on bar 2 while Cubasis playhead is on bar 1.

I successfully used Ableton Link with Cubasis 3 by loading apeMatrix into an instrument track as IAA then it is synced to CB3 via host sync and does provide AL if it is turned on. The only drawback is some latency which might be compensated somewhere but I did not go into that.

• edited September 2021

I can't find a Koala manual ... is it possible to trigger PAD DELETE\OVERWRITE via MIDI?

I've got pad recording\triggering working via MIDI, but once a pad is recorded, you're stuck with it, unless you interact with the GUI, which might negate the point of remote control via an external device.

My hope is to be able to refresh each pad as desired, the way that a recording buffer can be refreshed in a looper. I guess something like BeatCutter, where the filling of each grid slot can be repeatedly triggered and then played back in various ways.

• edited September 2021

@RockySmalls said:
    @elf_audio
    i’ve sent a mail via the website form but just wanted to post it here and see if anyone else has noticed .
    for me , after this update , ( no problems with iap purchase or anything ) mysteriously in the performance fx the Reverse, Tempo Delay & Stutter have no effect for me?? all the others seem fine , or at least DO function ... it did seem that the Crusher wasn’t as effective but at least does have an effect..
    just me? something i’m not remembering about sample modes effecting FX?
    any road, bar that... great stuff, perfect for apematrix multi out craziness with looperator etc...

OK, so i have figured out what was going on , it appears those 3 fx :reverse,tempo and stutter , rely on the sample start to operate ,, what i was doing was looping a sample ON HOLD from the first page and then going to the perform to apply the effect so i could resample back on the sample page ...
    @elf_audio can you give a small explanation as to why those 3 effects work differently from the others??
    edit : actually it is only Reverse and stutter, tempo delay now seems to work!! :)

• Killer update! In minutes I merged couple old AUM+Koala projects, what a blast! Thanks @elf_audio
    @RockySmalls You are right, no effect from Reverse, Stutter and Tempo delay

• @attakk
    Thanks for the reply

• @Agatha_aga said:
    Killer update! In minutes I merged couple old AUM+Koala projects, what a blast! Thanks @elf_audio

see post above yrs,,, i think i have partially puzzled it out :)

though @elf_audio ... i still get a soft crash where the app goes offscreen when saving a preset.. stand alone. no big deal , probably already in yr bug list from other reports..

• edited September 2021

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    How are you using it in NS2 in terms of workflow? Are you essentially using it as Slate pads with added timestretch? I was a bit weirded out how you can't use it normally in NS2 in terms of recording a pad, it jumps instantly to the import sample menu instead when you hold a pad.

I can’t work out how to record incoming audio to a pad yet in NS2 - I inserted Koala Sampler as an effect at the end of an auv3 instrument’s fx chain, tapped a pad, selected incoming audio from the input selection. Audio is definitely coming in as I can see it in Koala’s little vu meter (and hear it when clicking the monitor icon). Just not sure how to get it to actually record that audio to the pad.

I’ve only ever imported audio to Koala before, never recorded (never needed to). So, as an auv3, how do you get Koala to record the audio that is clearly coming in? (ie how do you arm the pad?)

I like how @4Pockets Multitrack Studio does this: arm the track with an industry standard red dot record icon 🔴 , it then records at the cursor position as soon as you press play in NS2. Simple, works like a charm for how I need it. No need to edit start points in the recorded audio.

@gdub - no problem (sorry it was lengthy)

• @attakk said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I can’t work out how to record incoming audio to a pad yet in NS2 - I inserted Koala Sampler as an effect at the end of an auv3 instrument’s fx chain, tapped a pad, selected incoming audio from the input selection. Audio is definitely coming in as I can see it in Koala’s little vu meter (and hear it when clicking the monitor icon). Just not sure how to get it to actually record that audio to the pad.

I’ve only ever imported audio to Koala before, never recorded (never needed to). So, as an auv3, how do you get Koala to record the audio that is clearly coming in?

Are you using koala as an audio effect? I just added as an audio effect and just held the pad and it recorded straight to pad.

• @craftycurate said:
    I can't find a Koala manual ... is it possible to trigger PAD DELETE\OVERWRITE via MIDI?

Currently no, but you can always assign 'delete' to a midi note to clear the currently selected pad prior to recording a new sample to it. (Just select allow midi to select pad, and allow midi to record pad in the settings).

I'm pretty sure @elf_audio keeps track of the mentions here even if he doesn't reply to everything :)

Cheers!

• @gosnote said:
    Thank you @elf_audio - this is fantastic!

one thing that I might actually be missing from the slide over workflow is the 4x4 pad layout which reflects my pad controller layout. In a future update, would you consider it feasible to have an option for the user to change between the 8x2 and 4x4 pad layout?

Regarding this ^^ I realized this applies to hosts such as Cubasis where you cannot freely resize the auv3 window like in AUM. Cubasis is always in landscape view so the 8x2 layout does make sense, but a 4x4 pad layout could work if the top portion of the UI would be on either side of the pads?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@attakk said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I’ve only ever imported audio to Koala before, never recorded (never needed to). So, as an auv3, how do you get Koala to record the audio that is clearly coming in?

Are you using koala as an audio effect? I just added as an audio effect and just held the pad and it recorded straight to pad.

Ah - got you! Yeah - that worked. Thanks muchly 👍

I wish it would record on clicking NS2’s transport play (until loop marker on the transport end or hitting stop) like my last post explains how Multitrack Studio does it - lovely integration that, no sample trimming required afterwards.

But anyway, at least now I know. Never needed to record into Koala before! Probably won’t need to again, but it’s good to know the basics anyway 😁

• edited September 2021

Finally my favorite sampler as a multi-out instrument. 😍😍😍 Today must be Christmas. For drum samples I still prefer FAC Drumkit. Even if you don’t use the synth part of it, the beautiful envelopes gives Drumkit an edge over Koala. But nothing beats Koala now for easily adding loops, sound effects or even sampled instruments. It is also so much better than the sampler of Cubasis 3. 🙏

• I > @Samu said:

@craftycurate said:

Currently no, but you can always assign 'delete' to a midi note to clear the currently selected pad prior to recording a new sample to it. (Just select allow midi to select pad, and allow midi to record pad in the settings).

I'm pretty sure @elf_audio keeps track of the mentions here even if he doesn't reply to everything :)

Cheers!

OK thanks I'll give it a go!

• This app was always so much fun. It's so easy to use that I sometimes send my kids off round the house filling it with samples and when they come back we make them all into a song together (usually to much hilarity). Having this much fun inside NanoStudio has made my day (week / month / year even).

• @RockySmalls said:

@Agatha_aga said:
    Killer update! In minutes I merged couple old AUM+Koala projects, what a blast! Thanks @elf_audio

see post above yrs,,, i think i have partially puzzled it out :)

though @elf_audio ... i still get a soft crash where the app goes offscreen when saving a preset.. stand alone. no big deal , probably already in yr bug list from other reports..

Is the sequencer running when you do this? Some effects only work after you’ve hit play in the transport. Just make sure you have a blank pattern selected so it doesn’t interfere with the resampling.

• @krassmann said:

@Paa89 said:

@RajahP said:

@Paa89 said:
    here is a mini video of koala Sampler in Cubasis 3

Great.. maybe I can upgrade to Cubasis v3 now.. Ableton Link has just become less needed… Thanks Mr. Koala..

We still need Ableton link in Cubasis 3. Or a workaround like what Digistix has.
    If you have a drum sequence in Koala and you want to record melody on a different track in Cubasis 3, when you tap on record, Koala starts to play during count in. so when recording starts, Koala’s sequence is on bar 2 while Cubasis playhead is on bar 1.

I successfully used Ableton Link with Cubasis 3 by loading apeMatrix into an instrument track as IAA then it is synced to CB3 via host sync and does provide AL if it is turned on. The only drawback is some latency which might be compensated somewhere but I did not go into that.

Uuu that’s pretty good. If you have a sequence in Koala and tap on record in Cubasis, does Koala still play during count in?

• @attakk said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@attakk said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Ah - got you! Yeah - that worked. Thanks muchly 👍

I wish it would record on clicking NS2’s transport play (until loop marker on the transport end or hitting stop) like my last post explains how Multitrack Studio does it - lovely integration that, no sample trimming required afterwards.

But anyway, at least now I know. Never needed to record into Koala before! Probably won’t need to again, but it’s good to know the basics anyway 😁

For precision, you could send a midi note from a sequencer to record for a precise duration.