Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Riffler by Jonathan Bell

Comments

• @jon_bell said:
    I've been thinking of putting a "Song mode" on the tab bar at the bottom where you could assemble a song by joining together lots of saved riffs like you mentioned.

Then when the AUv3 feature is added in future you could either have a single riff synced with the host or switch to song mode and the whole sequence would be synced with the host. You could then add other apps for drums, bass etc. or maybe have another Riffler instance too.

@BillS said:
    I guess what I am now looking for is a way to sequence different riffs together easily. Dropping and dragging to a mini-timeline within the app for exporting is one way, but even better, simple drop and drag directly into a DAW when/if Riffler becomes AUv3

I feel like a song mode is a great idea . I would love to be able to take a riff and stack several alterations of it and play them in succession. Like generate once, save, then put on some holds, generate again, save, repeat.

Also I think a button to turn on all holds would be useful because usually when I keep measures I I keep the majority of them and lose only the last or two last measures.

• Song mode would be great. Also, how about the option to save our own custom presets? Just a thought.

• Thanks for the suggestion, I've added this to the new version. Should be out early next week.

@god said:
    Also I think a button to turn on all holds would be useful because usually when I keep measures I I keep the majority of them and lose only the last or two last measures.

• edited September 2021

There is no way to save custom presets although I'm hoping to add the feature in a future update.

In the meantime anytime you save a riff it will also save all the settings from the side menu. So you if you have some settings you like you can just save the riff then anytime you reload that riff it will restore the settings just like a preset.

@FesteringMike said:
    Song mode would be great. Also, how about the option to save our own custom presets? Just a thought.

• Another sweet update just out, check it out….

• Riffler Update details

-New logo and color scheme.
    -Added import and export of .riffle files. This makes it possible to backupand share created riffs.
    -Added Dorian mode in the scale list.
    -New presets: "Rock: Dorian", "Extra: Bet you can't play this!", "Extra:Glitch", "Blues: Bassline", "Rock: Neoclassical 2"
    -Removed the "Powerchords" control as it was redundant (Chords value of 10 is equal to powerchords on, chords value of 0 is equal to powerchords off).
    -Chord slider now instantly updates the current riff when it is changed.
    -Various UI and layout improvements.
    -Rebalanced the character slider.
    -Improved riffs.
    -Tweaked presets.
    -When loading an 8 bar riff the drums now play the correct length.
    -Streamlined the key and tranpose controls.
    -Added "Activate all holds." button on holds screen.
    -Changed formatting on riff titles. Now includes the scale name.
    -Fixed the "Loop audio" not saving bug.
    -Fixed the bug with the Eb and C# tunings.
    -Fixed rare crash with the Phrygian Dominant scale.
    -Fixed dark mode bug.
    -Fixed bug with tunings when loading save riffs.

Version 1.07.5 . 479.1 MB

• Release notes for version 1.8.1:

New logo and color scheme.
    Added import and export of .riffle files. This makes it possible to backup and share created riffs.
    Added Dorian mode in the scale list.
    New presets: "Rock: Dorian", "Extra: Bet you can't play this!", "Extra: Glitch", "Blues: Bassline", "Rock: Neoclassical 2"
    Removed the "Powerchords" control as it was redundant (Chords value of 10 is equal to powerchords on, chords value of 0 is equal to powerchords off).
    Chord slider now instantly updates the current riff when it is changed.
    Various UI and layout improvements.
    Rebalanced the character slider.
    Improved riffs.
    Tweaked presets.
    When loading an 8 bar riff the drums now play the correct length.
    Streamlined the key and tranpose controls.
    Added "Lock all" button on holds screen.
    Changed formatting on riff titles. Now includes the scale name.
    Fixed the "Loop audio" not saving bug.
    Fixed rare crash with the Phrygian Dominant scale.
    Fixed dark mode bug.
    Fixed bug with tunings when loading save riffs.

• edited September 2021

Oops, just posted the same thing!

Any problem or suggestions please let me know!

• @jon_bell said:

No worries I was so excited I jumped at the chance to share the info, lol. Congratulations on another great update.

• Stupid question time - I can’t find the manual…I’m sure there was one built into the app?

• There is a question mark icon in the bottom left with a quick start guide and an explanation of all the controls. The side bar menu will hide the question mark icon though so tap in the top left to close the side bar first.

I'm going to be putting up some longer tutorial videos and articles on the website soon.

@BillS said:
    Stupid question time - I can’t find the manual…I’m sure there was one built into the app?

• @jon_bell said:

Thank you for another great update!

• @jon_bell thank you for the update, sir!

• edited September 2021

@jon_bell Yes! Thank you so much. The best gets better. About the only things I wish for are the name to show up on an open riff and a way to make changes and save over the same riff rather than creating a new one with a default name.

• @jon_bell said:
    There is a question mark icon in the bottom left with a quick start guide and an explanation of all the controls. The side bar menu will hide the question mark icon though so tap in the top left to close the side bar first.

I'm going to be putting up some longer tutorial videos and articles on the website soon.

@BillS said:
    Stupid question time - I can’t find the manual…I’m sure there was one built into the app?

Got it thanks! The side bar hiding it got me 😀

• Just checked out the new update, wow! Thank-you Mr. Bell, your app is a treasure trove of sounds for us non-guitar players.

• I've got that on the to-do list. I'm hoping to revamp the whole save file system soon.

@Ailerom said:
    @jon_bell Yes! Thank you so much. The best gets better. About the only things I wish for are the name to show up on an open riff and a way to make changes and save over the same riff rather than creating a new one with a default name.

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2021

@jon_bell I’m enjoying the riffs that Riffer is generating, thanks a lot for this cool gem 👍🏼

I loop the exported WAV in AUMs fileplayer and use the exported midi to mix in other instrument sounds. For this i import the midi into Atom Pianoroll 2.

When sending that midi to other AUv3 i noticed that it contains a program change command to change to an appropriate general midi guitar instrument sound - unfortunately some synth react to this command and change sound, even though i selected a different one beforehand. I had to add a midi filter removing that command into my midi-chain to keep the sound i wanted.

Could you add a switch in Rifflers midi export options to toggle adding that program change ?

With Auria Pro, i was able to edit the midi file, remove the program change and export it again - but thats a bit inconvenient. The IOS AUv3 midi file players Atom, Helium or Photon don‘t show the PC command and one can‘t remove it there

• No problem. I’ll add that in the next release.

@_ki said:
    @jon_bell I’m enjoying the riffs that Riffer is generating, thanks a lot for this cool gem 👍🏼

I loop the exported WAV in AUMs fileplayer and use the exported midi to mix in other instrument sounds. For this i import the midi into Atom Pianoroll 2.

When sending that midi to other AUv3 i noticed that it contains a program change command to change to an appropriate general midi guitar instrument sound - unfortunately some synth react to this command and change sound, even though i selected a different one beforehand. I had to add a midi filter removing that command into my midi-chain to keep the sound i wanted.

Could you add a switch in Rifflers midi export options to toggle adding that program change ?

With Auria Pro, i was able to edit the midi file, remove the program change and export it again - but thats a bit inconvenient. The IOS AUv3 midi file players Atom, Helium or Photon don‘t show the PC command and one can‘t remove it there

• edited September 2021

I know I'm going to kick myself but how do I access Settings? When I press the cog at the bottom of the screen nothing happens. Riffler isn't in my list of apps in the iPad settings app either.

For future reference, just post on here and then try pressing the cog again and settings will popup.

• edited September 2021

@ashh said:
    I know I'm going to kick myself but how do I access Settings? When I press the cog at the bottom of the screen nothing happens. Riffler isn't in my list of apps in the iPad settings app either.

For future reference, just post on here and then try pressing the cog again and settings will popup.

No worries, in the upper left corner, the page or newspaper looking button.

• It changed after a few recent updates.

• As Poppadocrock mentioned the layout has been updated. If you tap the icon in the top left it will open the side menu with all the presets and sliders. If you click the cog icon then it will open the settings menu. This has got all the controls for exporting audio and midi, etc.

If you are still having problems please let me know.

@ashh said:

• @jon_bell said:
    As Poppadocrock mentioned the layout has been updated. If you tap the icon in the top left it will open the side menu with all the presets and sliders. If you click the cog icon then it will open the settings menu. This has got all the controls for exporting audio and midi, etc.

If you are still having problems please let me know.

@ashh said:

Many thanks to you and Pops. My sense of humour has a very tight knit circle of those who get it. Well, there’s me. Anyway, my 2nd paragraph was me saying it had sorted itself while I was typing.

• Great, thanks for confirming :)

@ashh said:

Many thanks to you and Pops. My sense of humour has a very tight knit circle of those who get it. Well, there’s me. Anyway, my 2nd paragraph was me saying it had sorted itself while I was typing.

• edited September 2021

New update has just gone live. It adds the locrian mode and the lydian mode so all 7 major modes are now available. If you change the scale or character the current riff will now update so you can now create a major scale riff and then update it to a natural minor riff, etc.

• New Riffler overview posted on YouTube

• Harmony guitars! This is the shit! Great work @jon_bell

• @FesteringMike said:
    Harmony guitars! This is the shit! Great work @jon_bell

Saying that though, the wav export is not of the harmony…

• Thanks! The harmony mode is still a bit experimental. It doesn't currently save, export or display in the tab. Next week's update will fully support harmony parts.

@FesteringMike said:

@FesteringMike said:
    Harmony guitars! This is the shit! Great work @jon_bell

Saying that though, the wav export is not of the harmony…