Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Riffler by Jonathan Bell

Comments

• I'm planning to add the option to select a single note and maybe change the pitch or turn off the palm muting, etc. So it would be a very simple editor that would enable you to edit a few notes on an existing riff. It wouldn't enable you enter a riff from scratch like a piano roll editor could, that would definitely want to be a separate app!

Jon

@Ailerom said:

@jon_bell said:

@eross said:
    i’d love to see note editing in a future update. that would make this app a complete guitar riff writer app for me.

I'm hoping to add a note editor in a future update. The most time consuming part will be getting a good UI for it but it is something I definitely want to add .

Would it make more sense to have 2 separate apps? An editor and a creator. As long as they can share easily between each other that would save Riffler from becoming too bloated and you would have another product to sell.

• I've got it fixed now in the upcoming version. The MIDI export doesn't have any program change data now.

@hellquist said:

@jon_bell said:
    I’ll get that sorted ASAP. The midi export contains a program change to the distortion guitar patch on a General Midi instrument. It seemed like a good idea at the time but it’s not needed, should be an easy fix.

Ah, haha, would be great if that was removed indeed. I have been toying around today with importing the generated midi file in to various other apps, and some of them picks up the distorted guitar and then sticks to it for every repeat, whereas I am trying to re-amp the signal. In some apps it "just works" anyways, in other apps it is there for "forever".

• @jon_bell said:
    I've got it fixed now in the upcoming version. The MIDI export doesn't have any program change data now.

@hellquist said:

@jon_bell said:
    I’ll get that sorted ASAP. The midi export contains a program change to the distortion guitar patch on a General Midi instrument. It seemed like a good idea at the time but it’s not needed, should be an easy fix.

Ah, haha, would be great if that was removed indeed. I have been toying around today with importing the generated midi file in to various other apps, and some of them picks up the distorted guitar and then sticks to it for every repeat, whereas I am trying to re-amp the signal. In some apps it "just works" anyways, in other apps it is there for "forever".

@jon_bell Thanks for the work on this app. This app is truly amazing!!!! Here is the roadmap:

Auv3 and live mid out.
    Port to Mac so I can run on my new Mac M1

I send you 100$ to get started. 😁😍.

• AuV3 and Ableton Link are in progress right now (turning into a very big job though!).

It's in the Mac Appstore for M1 already, although it is just the iPad version. If you search for Riffler on your M1 Mac it should show up, shouldn't need purchasing again.

@jon_bell Thanks for the work on this app. This app is truly amazing!!!! Here is the roadmap:

Auv3 and live mid out.

• @jon_bell said:
    I'm planning to add the option to select a single note and maybe change the pitch or turn off the palm muting, etc. So it would be a very simple editor that would enable you to edit a few notes on an existing riff. It wouldn't enable you enter a riff from scratch like a piano roll editor could, that would definitely want to be a separate app!

Jon

@Ailerom said:

@jon_bell said:

@eross said:
    i’d love to see note editing in a future update. that would make this app a complete guitar riff writer app for me.

I'm hoping to add a note editor in a future update. The most time consuming part will be getting a good UI for it but it is something I definitely want to add .

Would it make more sense to have 2 separate apps? An editor and a creator. As long as they can share easily between each other that would save Riffler from becoming too bloated and you would have another product to sell.

Cool. I was just thinking of it as an opportunity to provide the solution in a comprehensive way and keep the simplicity of Riffler. Personally I am not that interested in being able to edit generated riffs as I just play them on guitar if I want to modify something.

• @jon_bell said:
    AuV3 and Ableton Link are in progress right now (turning into a very big job though!).

It's in the Mac Appstore for M1 already, although it is just the iPad version. If you search for Riffler on your M1 Mac it should show up, shouldn't need purchasing again.

Auv3 and live mid out.

Thanks @jon_bell did not even look at the App Store on the MAC!!! works great!!!!

• @jon_bell said:
    I've got it fixed now in the upcoming version. The MIDI export doesn't have any program change data now.

@hellquist said:

@jon_bell said:

Sweet, well done.

• It would be great if the riffs that had chord changes, and show the chords above the tab, could also export out to a 2nd midi track. It would be awesome if the were the guitar chords too, not 3 note piano chords. Or once it has AU or virtual midi it could send on 2 separate midi channels.

• I’d happily pay again for a tremolo picking option…

• I've done lots of experimenting with tremolo picking and I can't get it to sound good with the current sample set. I'm going to be recording an extended sample set soon and will be adding tremolo picking then. Should be good for black metal, death metal, surf guitar, etc.

@FesteringMike said:
    I’d happily pay again for a tremolo picking option…

• @jon_bell said:
    AuV3 and Ableton Link are in progress right now (turning into a very big job though!).

I’m so excited that you’re working on this! Is it one or the other that’s the bigger challenge? For what it’s worth, Link is the one I’m most excited about but that may not be the case for the wider community. Just let me say again what a brilliant app this is! 🌟

• @jon_bell said:
    I've done lots of experimenting with tremolo picking and I can't get it to sound good with the current sample set. I'm going to be recording an extended sample set soon and will be adding tremolo picking then. Should be good for black metal, death metal, surf guitar, etc.

Cool. I look forward to it

• Thanks! I'm working on Ableton Link first then AUv3.

I'm currently rewriting the audio engine, at the moment when you click create the entire audio file is rendered all at once (this is why there is a small delay before the audio plays). Instead it needs to render the audio in tiny sections on the fly so that it won't cause problems when playing in realtime.

Once the audio is sorted AL won't take long to finish. AUv3 will be a bigger job.

Jon

@oddSTAR said:

@jon_bell said:

I’m so excited that you’re working on this! Is it one or the other that’s the bigger challenge? For what it’s worth, Link is the one I’m most excited about but that may not be the case for the wider community. Just let me say again what a brilliant app this is! 🌟

• I love your app! The bassy things are also great and super funky. I guess I like them more then iBassist. Any chance there will be bass focused things in the future?

• Thanks, nice riff! I am thinking of recording a bass guitar sample set at some point. I would love to include more bass things in the future but I've got a huge to-do list so it would just come down to finding enough time to do it.

@janpieter said:
    I love your app! The bassy things are also great and super funky. I guess I like them more then iBassist. Any chance there will be bass focused things in the future?

• edited January 2022

How do you stop the exported midi file from changing a synth preset at the end of the loop?

[Edit: I just had to copy and paste the midi]

• edited January 2022

@gusgranite said:
    How do you stop the exported midi file from changing a synth preset at the end of the loop?

[Edit: I just had to copy and paste the midi]

Just fixed that in the latest release. It's in review at the moment so should be online in the next day or two.

• New Riffler tutorial - ‘Create a complete metal track using Riffler and GarageBand’

• McDMcD
    edited January 2022

I INSERTED a Riffler Guitar section into a Staffpad Creation.
    Guitar comes it at 0:48'

• tjatja
    edited February 2022

I just bought this and love it.

Any plans for MIDi out, @jon_bell ?
    At least, I did not see such an option.

This would allow for changing the playing App and preset live and would remove the overhead of moving the MIDI file around.

Many thanks

• Awesome, thanks for sharing! B)

@McD said:
    I INSERTED a Riffler Guitar section into a Staffpad Creation.
    Guitar comes it at 0:48'

• Hi,

Really pleased to hear you like the app! I'm planning to add AUv3 support in future so that you could send the MIDI data directly without having to spend time moving files.

Jon

@tja said:

This would allow for changing the playing App and preset live and would remove the overhead of moving the MIDI file around.

Many thanks

• The App is 50% off, i highly recommend purchasing it.

• @jon_bell said:
    Hi,

Really pleased to hear you like the app! I'm planning to add AUv3 support in future so that you could send the MIDI data directly without having to spend time moving files.

Jon

@tja said:

Many thanks

Yes it would… this is great news. Something like core midi or virtual midi, might be a quick solution in the meantime, but totally up to you. I’m also hoping for a second midi channel that sends the chords out, along with the riff. App is phenomenal.

• @jon_bell said:
    Hi,

Jon

@tja said:

Many thanks

While AUv3 is sure appreciated by many, I would be happy with basic live MIDI out already.

Like @Poppadocrock wrote, just Core MIDI or Virtual MIDI.
    Of course AudioBus would be great too 😅

For me, that would be way more important than the App being AUv3, to be honest.

Anyway, I really love your App - I even let it play instead of radio or Spotify 😅

Is there a way to automatically randomize settings after some time?
    Then it would play all the day for me 🤗

• @tja said:

@jon_bell said:
    Hi,

Jon

@tja said:

Many thanks

While AUv3 is sure appreciated by many, I would be happy with basic live MIDI out already.

Anyway, I really love your App - I even let it play instead of radio or Spotify 😅

It is unreal how many of the riffs sound good isn’t it? I mean it’s literally hard not to save every single one created. It Just generates so many good riffs. I’ve always loved this app, and feel it should have made someone’s best of 2021 list. Not sure what category it would fit in, but it’s one of my favs from 2021.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@tja said:

@jon_bell said:
    Hi,

Jon

@tja said:

Many thanks

It is unreal how many of the riffs sound good isn’t it? I mean it’s literally hard not to save every single one created. It Just generates so many good riffs. I’ve always loved this app, and feel it should have made someone’s best of 2021 list. Not sure what category it would fit in, but it’s one of my favs from 2021.

+1

• edited February 2022

I’m really loving this app! Super fun and can’t wait to see it go AU! But for now this sale is super and if you want to catch the wave jump onboard asap! Can’t best this deal this app is it and it does sound awesome!

Anyone suggest good free guitar samples to use for Audiolayer?

@Poppadocrock said:
    The App is 50% off, i highly recommend purchasing it.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I’m really loving this app! Super fun and can’t wait to see it go AU! But for now this sale is super and if you want to catch the wave jump onboard asap! Can’t best this deal this app is it and it does sound awesome!

I use these:
    https://unreal-instruments.wixsite.com/unreal-instruments
    The Standard Guitar and Metal GTX are both good sets of multiple articulations.

• 🙏❤️🎸

@MadeofWax said:

@Tones4Christ said:

I use these:
    https://unreal-instruments.wixsite.com/unreal-instruments
    The Standard Guitar and Metal GTX are both good sets of multiple articulations.