Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Riffler by Jonathan Bell

Comments

• Yeah, I was just wondering the same 😉

• Version 1.06 has just been approved, should be online in the next 15 minutes.

Here's what's new:
    Improved quality of created riffs.
    Added neo-classical metal preset.
    Fixed bug that occasionally caused the Phrygian dominant scale to freeze the app.
    A few presets have been tweaked to sound better.
    Presets now sorted alphabetically and by genre.
    New layout containing side bar so riff parameters and presets are visible at the same time as the tab display.
    Settings and parameters are now separated into side bar and settings views.
    Hold mode now accessible from the main screen.
    Holds now reset when changing preset, tuning and riff length.
    Added option to clear all holds.
    Riff is auto created when loading a preset.
    Saved riffs now save all the settings used for that riff.
    Any changes to the riff parameters can be changed with the undo and redo buttons.
    The most recent riff is auto loaded when the app is first loaded.
    Added navigation tabs at the bottom of the screen.
    Larger create, play, stop and save buttons.
    New location for create, play, stop and save buttons.
    Added "Random" button to create a riff using random parameters.
    Added options to choose which parameters to randomise when "Random" button is pressed.
    Faster and more responsive when creating riffs.
    Faster undo, redo and riff loading.
    Added option of adding a note tail when exporting audio.
    Separate options for exporting audio and playback audio (drums on/off, double tracking on/off, note tails).
    Option to turn off rhythm stems in tablature.
    Riff title added containing current tempo, key and tuning.
    Option to turn off riff title.
    Fixed bug of double tracking and drum settings not saving.
    When changing tuning the riff automatically updates.
    Adding transpose option (riff automatically updates).
    Added autoplay option to auto play the riff audio when creating, loading, undoing and redoing.
    Key, tuning, scale, delay, sound, preset parameters are now accessible using drop down menus rather than separate screens.
    Added keyboard shortcuts (cmd + n = new riff, cmd + r = random riff, cmd + p = play audio, cmd + s = stop audio).
    Fixed mouse problems.
    New icons for undo and redo.
    Names of tunings have been shortened.
    Changed looping audio option to an on/off slider.
    Added + - buttons for tempo.
    Subtly changed background colour of tablature.
    Moved scale position on side bar.

• wow @jon_bell thanks for all the hard work!

• All the controls are now visible next to the tab when the side bar is expanded.

@Ailerom said:
    Would be great to have a tempo slider/dial/whatever next to the tab to help with picking up each riff.

There is now a transpose option. If you select a dry patch with an 8 string guitar tuning you can get a passable bass line.

@benlefoe said:
    4) Basic octave detune? Some of the riffs I think could work as baselines (I am used to playing with a very complicated

Random button is now on the main page next to play and stop!

@Keyb said:
    As a possible change, I'd like to have the randomization button on the main page!

All the parameters can now be randomised with the random button. If you go to the settings screen you can select which parameters to randomise.

@Poppadocrock said:
    One last suggestion, sorry if I’m annoying, lol. It would be great if you could chose which parameters to randomize. Lots of times I want to set several things ie. key, scale, tempo, etc, but randomize others Humanize, Rhythm, Character, etc, and see what comes out. Or maybe a way to lock certain parameters so when you randomize everything those locked ones don’t change. This would be massive, at least for me, I love randomization even more when it’s done within a chosen set of parameters. Cheers!

I couldn't replicate this bug but if you load the riff with the problem you can now transpose and change the key to move it to the correct key.

@Ailerom said:
    @jon_bell Another possible bug.I tune down to Eb. This has worked fine. But The only riff I have favorited plays a half step below Eb. I checked in settings to make sure setting were as I left them. For some reason it was back to standard. Now nothing I do with tuning seems to change this. It shows as as a riff in Em but is not playing that.

• Added this feature too! Just select autoplay in the settings menu.

@onerez said:
    Well just discovered this app…. I have to say it’s amazing. I hope that this grows like Piano Motifs! Great work so far!!! I have a bunch of suggestions but just one for now…. Is there a way to just hit the create button and not have it stop and hit play again? (I know I am lazy). Off to leave 5 stars.

• Massive update with tons of new features ive been hoping for Cheers & Congratulations on this wonderful achievement! @jon_bell

• Love how you can now see the settings from main screen I was always flipping back to check key, scale, tempo. Awesome.

Selective Randomization. Hells to the Yeeaaa!

• Wow! Awesome update 👏🏻

Thanks @jon_bell !

• Awesome!!!

• This update takes it to the next level - I can really imagine using this in my songwriting and production now. Good luck to you @jon_bell your hard work deserves success!

• The transpose option is awesome. Really really handy. With the next update I’d suggest adding a “tip” option because if the chord progressions update is as good as this update than I’d happily pay you again for all your hard work

• I guess what I am now looking for is a way to sequence different riffs together easily. Dropping and dragging to a mini-timeline within the app for exporting is one way, but even better, simple drop and drag directly into a DAW when/if Riffler becomes AUv3

• @jon_bell Thanks for a great update. I really wasn't expecting so much awesomeness in one hit.

Just a question about changes to a saved riff. Should it save the changes? At present it doesn't seem to so I'm saving a new riff, deleting the old one and renaming it. Is that the intended method?

• edited August 2021

Really loving this update! The new UI works really well, the Audio options being separated from the export options help so much (so I don't forget to turn off the drums when I export a WAV file), the randomizer with all of it's parameters... So much to like. And the first Neoclassical riff I generated 🔥🔥🔥🤘🤘🤘🔥🔥🔥!

• edited August 2021

@jon_bell said:
    Version 1.06 has just been approved, should be online in the next 15 minutes.

Wow - lots of nice new stuff added to an already wonderful app. Thank you!

• Awesome - will fire up the iPad and update.

• Looking forward to checking out this update, great job.

• Yeah, that's the way it works at the moment. I'm planning to revamp the whole save system in soon to make it more intuitive. In future it will ask if you want to overwrite the old save file or create a new file.

@Ailerom said:
    @jon_bell Thanks for a great update. I really wasn't expecting so much awesomeness in one hit.

Just a question about changes to a saved riff. Should it save the changes? At present it doesn't seem to so I'm saving a new riff, deleting the old one and renaming it. Is that the intended method?

• I've been thinking of putting a "Song mode" on the tab bar at the bottom where you could assemble a song by joining together lots of saved riffs like you mentioned.

Then when the AUv3 feature is added in future you could either have a single riff synced with the host or switch to song mode and the whole sequence would be synced with the host. You could then add other apps for drums, bass etc. or maybe have another Riffler instance too.

@BillS said:
    I guess what I am now looking for is a way to sequence different riffs together easily. Dropping and dragging to a mini-timeline within the app for exporting is one way, but even better, simple drop and drag directly into a DAW when/if Riffler becomes AUv3

• @jon_bell said:
    I've been thinking of putting a "Song mode" on the tab bar at the bottom where you could assemble a song by joining together lots of saved riffs like you mentioned.

Then when the AUv3 feature is added in future you could either have a single riff synced with the host or switch to song mode and the whole sequence would be synced with the host. You could then add other apps for drums, bass etc. or maybe have another Riffler instance too.

@BillS said:
    I guess what I am now looking for is a way to sequence different riffs together easily. Dropping and dragging to a mini-timeline within the app for exporting is one way, but even better, simple drop and drag directly into a DAW when/if Riffler becomes AUv3

Spot on, this would be a real game changer and I would certainly be happy to pay for such a significant update.

• Just had time for a quick play with the new version - fantastic!

The layout and design is so much better. 10 out of 10!

• I've actually gone to tap a note to change it. I thought that would be great if there was a way to alter the note but then I started thinking. This app is so good the way it is. I'd hate for it to get too bloated. And there is alway export midi if I need to edit.

• @jon_bell said:
    I've been thinking of putting a "Song mode" on the tab bar at the bottom where you could assemble a song by joining together lots of saved riffs like you mentioned.

@BillS said:

In the meantime, Koala is a handy way of sequencing a series of riffs.

• @Ailerom said:
    I've actually gone to tap a note to change it. I thought that would be great if there was a way to alter the note but then I started thinking. This app is so good the way it is. I'd hate for it to get too bloated. And there is alway export midi if I need to edit.

I agree with , but I’d still love to be able to lock a measure by tapping the sheet. Those toggles on a separate tab could improve.

• @jon_bell said:

@Keyb said:
    As a possible change, I'd like to have the randomization button on the main page!

All the parameters can now be randomised with the random button. If you go to the settings screen you can select which parameters to randomise.

Fantastic!! Thanks!!

• I agree the current hold system could be improved. I'm planning to have the holds selectable by long pressing on the main tablature view. The selected holds would then be shaded so that it was easy to see what has been held.

@god said:
    I agree with , but I’d still love to be able to lock a measure by tapping the sheet. Those toggles on a separate tab could improve.

• @jon_bell said:
    I agree the current hold system could be improved. I'm planning to have the holds selectable by long pressing on the main tablature view. The selected holds would then be shaded so that it was easy to see what has been held.

@god said:

This is great! I love the app and I love you 💕

• Something cool I discovered (I'm sure others have too) is that you can change key after locking parts and create chord progressions. Generate a riff in E, lock the first 2 measures and change the key to A and generate again, lock those measures and change the key to B, etc. Just need another 4 measures so I can make 12 bar blues 😁. I'm not asking for this to be added, btw. I know chord progressions have been mentioned as a future feature and I already feel like I have gotten more than my money's worth out of this app. Just throwing it out there for anyone who hadn't discovered that yet.

• @MadeofWax said:
    Something cool I discovered (I'm sure others have too) is that you can change key after locking parts and create chord progressions. Generate a riff in E, lock the first 2 measures and change the key to A and generate again, lock those measures and change the key to B, etc. Just need another 4 measures so I can make 12 bar blues 😁. I'm not asking for this to be added, btw. I know chord progressions have been mentioned as a future feature and I already feel like I have gotten more than my money's worth out of this app. Just throwing it out there for anyone who hadn't discovered that yet.

Interesting. Thanks.

• @jon_bell I had clocked the update with the transpose notes - thanks for tagging me though!

I have to say, I still think you've made a fantastic app, and I would also happily pay some more for either the AUv3 update or the "song mode".