Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ButterSynth - early beta look

Comments

• Another little test of Butter Synth beta(iOS). Two instances. Just a little bit of Alteza reverb starting at the middle.

• Hmmm, Butter Synth beta 'suffers' from the same issues that initially plagued TB FlowTones.

When modulating pitch or any parameter with a square wave at lower speeds the values 'glide' from value to value instead of 'switching' the value.

The same applies to the Step Sequencer, with 'Smooth' all the way down to 0 it still 'glides' between the values.

The step-sequencer could use Y-Axis grid snap for a bit of precision, maybe y-divisions of 4,8,10,12(For Semitones),16,24(+/- 12 semitones) etc.

Or maybe I should just stick to Drambo for my synthesis needs for the time being :sunglasses:

I do like the wave-table editor though...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:
    Hmmm, Butter Synth beta 'suffers' from the same issues that initially plagued TB FlowTones.

When modulating pitch or any parameter with a square wave at lower speeds the values 'glide' from value to value instead of 'switching' the value.

The same applies to the Step Sequencer, with 'Smooth' all the way down to 0 it still 'glides' between the values.

The step-sequencer could use Y-Axis grid snap for a bit of precision, maybe y-divisions of 4,8,10,12(For Semitones),16,24(+/- 12 semitones) etc.

Or maybe I should just stick to Drambo for my synthesis needs for the time being :sunglasses:

I do like the wave-table editor though...

Cheers!

Please join the discord channel and report your bugs to the provided Trello, this will help a lot!

• @jsmonzani said:

Please join the discord channel and report your bugs to the provided Trello, this will help a lot!

Feel free to copy paste them there...
    ...they are just some initial impressions after taking the beta for a quick spin.

I've since long decided to focus my available time on doing beta on another app which I do enjoy a lot...
    ...should come as no surprise to anyone that I'm a 'Drambonian' :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• @jsmonzani said:
    Another little test of Butter Synth beta(iOS). Two instances. Just a little bit of Alteza reverb starting at the middle.

very nice !

• Are there any beta slots available? Would love to give this one a spin, it sounds awesome.

• @Samu said:

@jsmonzani said:

Feel free to copy paste them there...
    ...they are just some initial impressions after taking the beta for a quick spin.

Sure, will do!

@dendy Thanks!

• edited July 2022

It doesn't appear in the changelog, but that bug seems to be fixed, thanks a lot :)

@fxdfxd said:

I found another critical bug : create a new preset, route any oscillator to filter A, it's working well, but now change the volume of filter A (lower or higher). The sound through that filter is now crackling, mainly in the bass. Filter B doesn't exhibit the same behaviour, it's working well.
    Sorry I can't access the discord server so i'm posting here

• I'll give this beta another go when the knobs have improved a bit...
    It's practically impossible to accurately set any value in the matrix and and other areas where knobs cover a larger range.

Up/Down Coarse Changes, Left/Right Fine-Tune would be my suggestions and maybe an option to actually type in the values?

Cheers!

• how do you save your own presets? Have not been able to do that

• @Prog1967 said:
    how do you save your own presets? Have not been able to do that

You display the preset browser, navigate to the user folder, and tap save. You may need to add a category (which is just a folder) first.

You might want to mention on the discord that this wasn’t obvious. I have mentioned it bug the reception from other users gave me the impression that they don’t realize how non-obvious it is.

• @espiegel123 said:

I have mentioned it bug the reception from other users gave me the impression that they don’t realize how non-obvious it is.

Good to know there are some with 'open eyes' on the beta :sunglasses:

I know it's way too easy to get 'home blind' to 'bugs' and 'work-arounds' during beta to a degree that one starts to ignore them as 'bugs' or 'things that can be improved/should be fixed'. I know I'm guilty of this with a few apps I've tested in the past...

The 'sloppy square-wave LFO' (it glides from value to value instead of switching between values at slower speeds creating 'glides/fades' instead of 'jumps') and no way for precise value-adjustments using the knobs made me quickly loose initial interest as did the lack of doing interpolation between frames in the wave-table editor when creating a table.

I'll wait for the next beta before I dig deeper...
    ...I'm quite sure Butter Synth will get there at some point in time.

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

I have mentioned it bug the reception from other users gave me the impression that they don’t realize how non-obvious it is.

Good to know there are some with 'open eyes' on the beta :sunglasses:

I know it's way too easy to get 'home blind' to 'bugs' and 'work-arounds' during beta to a degree that one starts to ignore them as 'bugs' or 'things that can be improved/should be fixed'. I know I'm guilty of this with a few apps I've tested in the past...

The 'sloppy square-wave LFO' (it glides from value to value instead of switching between values at slower speeds creating 'glides/fades' instead of 'jumps') and no way for precise value-adjustments using the knobs made me quickly loose initial interest as did the lack of doing interpolation between frames in the wave-table editor when creating a table.

I'll wait for the next beta before I dig deeper...
    ...I'm quite sure Butter Synth will get there at some point in time.

I have not had time for deep participation on the beta. Funny that you mention the interpolation..I just mentioned that. It would be super valuable if you could spend a few minutes chiming in on the Discord. I think @Kirnu would be interested in your feedback even if you don’t participate much.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Prog1967 said:

You display the preset browser, navigate to the user folder, and tap save. You may need to add a category (which is just a folder) first.

You might want to mention on the discord that this wasn’t obvious. I have mentioned it bug the reception from other users gave me the impression that they don’t realize how non-obvious it is.

Thanks

• @espiegel123 said:

@Prog1967 said:

Actually inproposed solution for final version to create first category named something like "my patches" automatically after plugin is installed, to have it less confusing and skip the step where user must first create category before he can save patch.. hope Kirnu will implement it :-)

• @kirnu Hey, just got the beta testing started and ran into saving preset issues. Once I actually got a save option to the right the app crashed. Usually there are no option to save what you do, if I am not being a total noob.

• @Pxlhg said:
    @kirnu Hey, just got the beta testing started and ran into saving preset issues. Once I actually got a save option to the right the app crashed. Usually there are no option to save what you do, if I am not being a total noob.

Create a category and select it to make the save button appear. I had the same question initially

• @jsmonzani said:

@Pxlhg said:
    @kirnu Hey, just got the beta testing started and ran into saving preset issues. Once I actually got a save option to the right the app crashed. Usually there are no option to save what you do, if I am not being a total noob.

Create a category and select it to make the save button appear. I had the same question initially

Great! Thank you!

• @Pxlhg said:

@jsmonzani said:

@Pxlhg said:

Great! Thank you!

Yeah, this was confusing for me as well.

• So, is this released yet, planning to be released?

Looks like an interesting Scaler companion..

• @auxmux said:

It's a petty there's no factory presets available or am I missing something there as well? When a synth is new to you it's nice to go through the possibilities although in the end I like to build my own presets. :)

@RajahP said:
    So, is this released yet, planning to be released?

It's in beta and you can try this testflight link but I'm not sure it still works.

• @Pxlhg said:

@auxmux said:

It's a petty there's no factory presets available or am I missing something there as well? When a synth is new to you it's nice to go through the possibilities although in the end I like to build my own presets. :)

@RajahP said:

It's in beta and you can try this testflight link but I'm not sure it still works.

There is another thread about the app..,the reason for the lack of factory presets is explained. Short version: while the app is in flux it makes no sense to invest a lot of time developing presets likely to become broken while major refinements are still being made.

• @espiegel123 said:
    There is another thread about the app..,the reason for the lack of factory presets is explained. Short version: while the app is in flux it makes no sense to invest a lot of time developing presets likely to become broken while major refinements are still being made.

Yeah, that make sense, had not thought of that. :) Thank you!

• @Pxlhg said:

@auxmux said:

@RajahP said:

Thanks, still works.. Seems pretty buggy.. will get back to it later..

• I'm on the beta, but without presets, I did not try anything with it.

• @RajahP said:

@Pxlhg said:

@auxmux said:

@RajahP said:

Thanks, still works.. Seems pretty buggy.. will get back to it later..

Please report the bugs: that’s how they get fixed.

• @Pxlhg said:

Yeah I’ve had the same issue since the beta started, also haven’t been able to upload my own samples. Kinda unusable at this point in the juncture..

• @taeo said:

@Pxlhg said:

Yeah I’ve had the same issue since the beta started, also haven’t been able to upload my own samples. Kinda unusable at this point in the juncture..

Did you see the explanation of how to upload?

Please report the bugs to the developer.

Imo, it is pretty uncool to be publicly talking about an app in development as unusable. If you find bugs report them to the developer.

This is shaping up to be a great synth (it is mostly there).

• @espiegel123 said:

@taeo said:

@Pxlhg said:

Imo, it is pretty uncool to be publicly talking about an app in development as unusable. If you find bugs report them to the developer.

Will report the bugs. Thanks for the explanation. Sorry for saying it’s unusable. I looked for a reference manual and was directed to the cream mobile manual without direction of how to save a preset. Will start loading my samples now. Thank you for the help.

• @taeo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@taeo said:

@Pxlhg said:

Will report the bugs. Thanks for the explanation. Sorry for saying it’s unusable. I looked for a reference manual and was directed to the cream mobile manual without direction of how to save a preset. Will start loading my samples now. Thank you for the help.

The Discord is a great place to ask questions, get support and report bugs. There is some preset sharing there as well.