Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ButterSynth - early beta look

Comments

• I just tested it. It sounds great and even has Ensoniq ESQ-1 waveforms! However, some waves in the wavetable oscillators like prime (classics folder) loop horribly. There is also a bug where changing the octave of an oscillator creates a pitch bend-like attack sound (also occurs in the FM oscillator regardless of pitch or envelope shape).

• @Kirnu said:
    Thanks @Jumpercollins for your kind words :blush:
    If some of you want to try ButterSynth at it's beta stage please contact me providing you email address.

[email protected] please!? If you have any space left ??

• Kind of gives me Obsidian vibes…which makes me wish Blip Interactive would develop Obsidian as an AUv3 app on its own.
    This definitely looks interesting!

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@Kirnu said:
    Thanks @Jumpercollins for your kind words :blush:
    If some of you want to try ButterSynth at it's beta stage please contact me providing you email address.

[email protected] please!? If you have any space left ??

There’s a TestFlight link up at the top of this page. I was able to join from that today

• edited June 2022

Can confirm this synth will be absolute banger :-) Best available synth on iOS to the date in combined nice UI + huge amount of modulation posibilities + overall sound. It's literally almost Serum/Massive grade synth in my personal humble opinion. Easily beats SM2 for example. Epic.

• edited June 2022

@frosttrance_7 said:
    I just tested it. It sounds great and even has Ensoniq ESQ-1 waveforms! However, some waves in the wavetable oscillators like prime (classics folder) loop horribly.

good catch, reported it to bug tracking system.. let know if there is more of such damaged wavetables

There is also a bug where changing the octave of an oscillator creates a pitch bend-like attack sound (also occurs in the FM oscillator regardless of pitch or envelope shape).

already fixed in current beta ;)

• edited June 2022

@frosttrance_7 said:
    It looked like a cross between Obsidian and Synthmaster 1 at first. Will it be able to do virtual analog?

basic structure is classic subtractive synth, so all classic "virtual analog" sounds are easy to reproduce with wavetable oscillator (which contains also basic saw/square/triangle/sine waves) (which has btw also build in unison module - it can sound very fat and warm)

How many LFOs, FM operators, and filter types are there? And sync or ring modulation be done between oscillators? Will there also be filter FM and MPE?

4 env, 4 lfos, 4 multipoint curve envelopes with loopable sustain phase (they can act as both LFO or ENV, fully editable) and step sequencer as mod source .. env/lfo/curv lfo have also plethora of trigger modes - almost endless modulation heaven ..

mod matrix has 32 slots

And sync or ring modulation be done between oscillators?

yeah .. various sync modes, even FM modulation between osc

FM operators

4, every one with own ratio/amount/feedback , 12 algorithm types, and every operator can be not just sine like in traditional FM synths but selectble from wide range of wavetables

• edited June 2022

Wow that app looks fantastic, so much possibilities.
    I noticed a bug on my 7th gen ipad, if you switch wavetables with the small arrows too quickly even on init patch, the app crash. It doens't happens if you do it slower.
    I can't wait for the final version :)

EDIT : also some suggestions :

• Allow for lower range pitch bend, 12 semitones is currently the minimum, please allow down to 1
    • the effects is not intuitive, I didnt get that you had to drag them, i was trying to press them, plus there is a delay before allowing dragging that is too long, it should be immediate.
    • Why forcing the user to chose an env for each oscillator? please give the option to disable all env for a given osc (so we can use them for something else for example)
    • Midi learning is not doing anything until you manually add a CC preset map, it's not very intuitive. And it's buggy : sometimes it doesnt want to learn at all, sometimes it learns but the display is not updating while the sound is (filter A resonance for example is not updating on the screen but it's working). Another time I tried to learn CC14 but the app then reacted to CC15 instead. It doesnt want to map cc14 at all, even in the CC mapper. Controller is an irig key 2.

EDIT 2 : As for midi learn, the funny thing is that for filter B, with the same CC controls, resonance is working correctly, but frequency is audibly working but not graphically updating (so the opposite of filter A). I also noticed that CC14 (the one that can't be assigned to anything) is causing a glitch in the mod wheel graphics (but not on the sound), if that helps.
    But damn, that synth is insane, capabilities are endless !!!

• @fxdfxd said:
    Wow that app looks fantastic, so much possibilities.
    I noticed a bug on my 7th gen ipad, if you switch wavetables with the small arrows too quickly even on init patch, the app crash. It doens't happens if you do it slower.
    I can't wait for the final version :)

EDIT : also some suggestions :

• Allow for lower range pitch bend, 12 semitones is currently the minimum, please allow down to 1
    • the effects is not intuitive, I didnt get that you had to drag them, i was trying to press them, plus there is a delay before allowing dragging that is too long, it should be immediate.
    • Why forcing the user to chose an env for each oscillator? please give the option to disable all env for a given osc (so we can use them for something else for example)
    • Midi learning is not doing anything until you manually add a CC preset map, it's not very intuitive. And it's buggy : sometimes it doesnt want to learn at all, sometimes it learns but the display is not updating while the sound is (filter A resonance for example is not updating on the screen but it's working). Another time I tried to learn CC14 but the app then reacted to CC15 instead. It doesnt want to map cc14 at all, even in the CC mapper. Controller is an irig key 2.

EDIT 2 : As for midi learn, the funny thing is that for filter B, with the same CC controls, resonance is working correctly, but frequency is audibly working but not graphically updating (so the opposite of filter A). I also noticed that CC14 (the one that can't be assigned to anything) is causing a glitch in the mod wheel graphics (but not on the sound), if that helps.
    But damn, that synth is insane, capabilities are endless !!!

Thanks for the feedback! Added the bugs to the bug list

• The discord invite link: https://discord.gg/HeG2U4CxRW

• Some early sound demo teasers would be great! Maybe a short YouTube?

• edited July 2022

Started testing it today and quite enjoying it. Has anyone managed to save presets? Only thing that works for me is AUM's internal preset system (also without renaming the default name from some reason)

• @jsmonzani said:
    Started testing it today and quite enjoying it. Has anyone managed to save presets? Only thing that works for me is AUM's internal preset system (also without renaming the default name from some reason)

The preset saving works but not straightward. Steps:

• pop up the preset browser
    • tap on user
    • if you haven't created a folder (they call them categories), do so.
    • tap on the folder (category) into which you want to save the preset and a Save button appears at the top-right of the browser
  • @espiegel123 said:

@jsmonzani said:

• tap on user
    • tap on the folder (category) into which you want to save the preset and a Save button appears at the top-right of the browser

Oooh thank you! That works!

• @jsmonzani said:

@espiegel123 said:

@jsmonzani said:

• tap on user

Oooh thank you! That works!

I was befuddled about this too at first.

• Fine. I'll bite and submit my info to test this beta! Can't wait to give it a whirl in one of my Ambient pieces. 😎

• Let me add it has bult-in wavefolder which sounds fabulous!
    I think I will love Butter even more than Serum, Pigments and Phaseplant

• Really nice having some of the Airwindows plug-ins built into this. I’ve been loading breaks into it and slapping Mackity on them :).

• Absolutely the best synth I've ever had the pleasure of mucking with on iOS so far!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Absolutely the best synth I've ever had the pleasure of mucking with on iOS so far!

I do agree most of it is very well done. I hope development will go further and that we'll get a release soon!
    I strangely can't see any channel on the dedicated discord so I can't follow up

• @lazyass said:
    Let me add it has bult-in wavefolder which sounds fabulous!
    I think I will love Butter even more than Serum, Pigments and Phaseplant

especially WT2->WT1 fm modulation sound fantastic .. quality level Nord Lead 2,3 , absolute top noch ...

• @jsmonzani said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Absolutely the best synth I've ever had the pleasure of mucking with on iOS so far!

I do agree most of it is very well done. I hope development will go further and that we'll get a release soon!
    I strangely can't see any channel on the dedicated discord so I can't follow up

The Discord at the beginning of the thread is an outdated one. I guess DM @Kirnu to get the current one?

• @FordTimeLord said:
    Really nice having some of the Airwindows plug-ins built into this. I’ve been loading breaks into it and slapping Mackity on them :).

Agreed, so good to have @winconway involved with this one. Add @tk32 and @dendy to the beta mix and with @Kirnu running tings you have a very special synth crew! (Respect to the other beta testers too). Exciting.

• edited July 2022

Have had a couple of crashes while scanning through samples in granular mode. Reported via test flight but wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Love the synth though! Sounds great and is pretty intuitive considering all the features it has.

• @HotStrange said:
    Have had a couple of crashes while scanning through samples in granular mode. Reported via test flight but wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Love the synth though! Sounds great and is pretty intuitive considering all the features it has.

I just love how flexible the wavetable oscillator is! I started an Ambient project this morning using Buttersynth into Gauss, and after I'm done visiting family, I'll live perform what I got. 😌

• Getting a bunch of crashes when navigating presets and load wavetables. Submitted crash reports. Wish there were more envelope shapes like Synthmaster. ❤️ MSEGs.

• edited July 2022

This app has been slow burning in beta for a long time, and understandably so as it’s a complex and immensely powerful beast of a synth (how many other synths can you name that have a brick wall limiter switch in their preferences :joy:).

At this stage we’re grateful for all help to identify and squash any remaining bugs, and help Kirnu get this monster out of the gates.

Things have been picking up considerable momentum over the past month, so the hope is it won’t be all that much longer to wait.

Join the beta discussion on our Discord server where you’ll also find pinned links to the bug and FR tracker (Trello board).

• Hi :)

midi mapping is now working well, thanks :)

I found another critical bug : create a new preset, route any oscillator to filter A, it's working well, but now change the volume of filter A (lower or higher). The sound through that filter is now crackling, mainly in the bass. Filter B doesn't exhibit the same behaviour, it's working well.
    Sorry I can't access the discord server so i'm posting here

• I cannot see any presets:

Also, the arrow buttons left and right from "Butter Synth" don't change anything.

• Thanks @fxdfxd - I'll get the testers to investigate this further.